Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Debating between Karlsson and Toews was a tough one for me, since I think Toews, although a star in his own right, is still underrated in terms of faceoff ability and defensive play, and possibly the second or third best forward playing the game. Definitely a good pick at #8.

Also, Tavares at 6 is nothing to balk at. He's a young superstar in the wings who gets it done offensively with pretty much nothing surrounding him. Plus, if you don't want a consensus pick, show up for your pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Starsfan posted:

Yeah I could see him being the first player to take down a 10 million dollar cap hit if league revenues go up as much as they seem to be. Toews is the most important player on the Hawks, and if they lose him to free agency it will be very tough to recover for Chicago. I'll be picking some players on expiring contracts in the middle rounds of the draft to free up some space for that big raise in a couple years time.

Eh, he won't hit $10m. He also seems like a guy who would take a discount to be a career Hawk. I can definitely see him signing to an 8yr/$70m extension.

But I am also going to likely on versatile offensive players. Toews can play in all situations and that makes him really valuable.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Clod :allears: Hurricanes GM is a cool dude

GJ e-mailing me during the 10 minutes I was walking to class ianss :mad:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I debated taking Toews over Stamkos, but I figured that might be the homer glasses talking.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
My list went: Crosby, Tavares, Toews. You jerks.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Toews was my other choice but his (relatively) impending UFA status scared me. Also ianss you listed Clod as UFA after next season but capgeek tells me he is RFA and it wouldn't lie.

By the way, are we assuming we're picking teams to re-do the 2012-13 season? Like a full 82 games with no lockout, or the real 48 game season? Otherwise there's no value in pending UFAs.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 10, 2013

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

eXXon posted:

Toews was my other choice but his (relatively) impending UFA status scared me. Also ianss you listed Clod as UFA after next season but capgeek tells me he is RFA and it wouldn't lie.

By the way, are we assuming we're picking teams to re-do the 2012-13 season? Like a full 82 games with no lockout, or the real 48 game season? Otherwise there's no value in pending UFAs.

I'll fix that soon. And yes, full season.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Hello all, with the 9th I am proud to announce the organization will be adding a great powerful force to hold up the scoring first line.
Anze Kopitar C Slovenia

Signed to a 7 year deal that ends in 2015 at a 6.8Mil cap hit.
He's been a elite player quite some time, nearly PPG for the last few season, has great possession numbers and is only 25! He's got a decade left of domination in the tank.

Plus this handsome European heartthrob is a bit of a treat for all the lady fans that come out ;)

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I figured Kopitar would go top ten. Good pick.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Caps are next.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
yeah can't find much wrong with picking Kopitar, he's one of the elite forwards in the league.

Draft should be getting pretty interesting pretty quickly, we're just about out of young franchise players. People in the 2nd half of the first round are going to have some interesting decisions.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Starsfan posted:

yeah can't find much wrong with picking Kopitar, he's one of the elite forwards in the league.

Draft should be getting pretty interesting pretty quickly, we're just about out of young franchise players. People in the 2nd half of the first round are going to have some interesting decisions.

Yeah, essentially your elite under-25 players are about gone. At 17 it's going to be interesting for me. Looks like I may choose to build around veterans and have my youth be the supporting cast.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Kopitar's a good pick, but there's so many top tier defense and goalies still untouched that why would you take the 8th best forward?

Maybe I'm just crazy and that's why I'm the only one to not draft a forward so far.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
Is this a homer pick? Is it boring? Is it too predictable? Is his salary too high? All good questions.

With the 10th pick, the Washington Capitals are proud to select Alex Ovechkin. Why? The other top players available just were not compelling enough to bypass one of the great players of our time. Alex Ovechkin brings a unique blend of speed, skill, power and marketability matched by none other than Sidney Crosby. He's rarely injured. He competes hard. He scores goals. He brings the crowd to its feet. He knocks the living poo poo out of defenders. He loves to win - and even though he has never been able to get to the Cup finals, he still has potential to go down as one of the top 5 players of all time. Anyone who says they do not want this player on their team is just being obtuse. It would be a crime for Alex Ovechkin to fall outside of the top 10. Even at almost $10million per year, he's a bargain.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Top 5 Players of All Time:

Wayne Gretzky
Bobby Orr
Mario Lemieux
Gordie Howe
Alex Ovechkin

That just looks wrong.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

At almost $10m, he is a bargain? Alright man, go for it.

I think a lot of the players taken earlier play in all situations and make less and are younger, making them more reasonable. But I would have taken Ovechkin over Malkin, probably.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
It's definitely tough to have one player eat almost 15% of your salary cap, but Ovechkin makes so much money for the Washington Capitals it's ridiculous. As GM, my job is to make my owner happy. Ted is a happy fat man because of Ovie.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Bruins then Avalanche on the clock.

Dauher
Jul 22, 2007
The man from not near.

The Boston Bruins select ...

Superman!

I mean..Patrick Kane!

Former first overall selection, Stanley Cup Winning Goal Scorer, Cash money hands in the shootout and doesn't take poo poo from cab drivers. Welcome to Boston, Patrick.

Dauher fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 10, 2013

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Well there goes the top of my list.

e: Here's another link to that spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amj_wGJYwFRYdEtqcm5pTXRlcmY5Mm1CRzE0NC1pVVE#gid=0

mentholmoose fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 10, 2013

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Avalanche, you guys are up next!

I love Kane, but not sure I would've selected him.

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

Was my contract good for you, too?
Hi I'm GM Avalanche

and I select 1(one) Pavel Datsyuk for $6.7m USD

He's old but he's still probably got 5 years in him and he's loving awesome. Plus, look at that head, it looks like he has an extra 3 inches of skull depth, we need those intangibles.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
I must say, there's some players going higher than I thought(Kane, Kopitar, Datsyuk) while others are being skipped that I would see as shoe-ins. Not naming names though due to the rule.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Yeah I'm feeling more confident that at least one of my guys will be available at 22.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Again, I'd like the remind people that defense and goalie are STILL positions in the NHL

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Honestly outside of Crosby and Karlsson (maybe Malkin and Stamkos) there are a whole lot of guys who are pretty much on par for me. Gonna get two franchise players picking 25th. Can't ask for more.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm a little surprised there haven't been any goalies and just one D picked so far, but I think it's also hard to risk picking D/G in the top 10 and having to wait another 40-50 picks before you can get a #1C. It's not like there are really generational talent D around either. You could argue for a few goalies but it's not like there Niedermayer, Lidstrom, Roy or Hasek types being passed up just yet.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Am I the only one who thinks Kopitar is really overrated? He's a great player but he never really stuns me the way other guys like Crosby and Stamkos and Tavares do when I watch him play. I'd name players I think are better than I'm but they all haven't been picked yet so....

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Nobody thinks he's on the same level as Stamkos or Crosby, he's just really really good. He's an offensive engine and he's only 24.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

_________/
Changed my mind, gotta have a defenseman!

The Flyers are proud to select, formerly of the Montreal Canadiens, Pernell Karl "P.K." Subban:

An excellent all around defenseman, Subban leads the league in scoring by D-men. He's signed to a team-friendly contract and is still only 23, so his best years are still ahead of him.

Plus, that smile is irresistible.

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

Rutkowski posted:

I must say, there's some players going higher than I thought(Kane, Kopitar, Datsyuk) while others are being skipped that I would see as shoe-ins. Not naming names though due to the rule.

I had a list of 3 players, the other 2 were much younger then Datsyuk. 1st round though I want a franchise allstar captain, and I can't think of anyone who fits that role better than Datsyuk.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Austrian mook posted:

Am I the only one who thinks Kopitar is really overrated? He's a great player but he never really stuns me the way other guys like Crosby and Stamkos and Tavares do when I watch him play. I'd name players I think are better than I'm but they all haven't been picked yet so....

He's underrated if anything. If you want to build your team around a top Center there are only about 10 of those legitimately in the league and he is one of them. Kopitar is very good defensively, good at faceoffs, a good penalty killer and very well liked by his teammates. $6.8 million for what he brings to the table isn't bad. Plus, he's only 25.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I was hoping Subban would fall to me, but figured he would go.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I put some automatic salary cap calculation stuff at the bottom of the first sheet of the Google Doc but there's no way I'm going to copy and alter that formula for everyone. I did the Jets, Stars and Capitals and then I gave up.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Canadiens, on the clock!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I don't have PMs and I won't be around for a couple of hours so sorry if you all have to wait but I will be back probably around 10-11ish EST to make my pick (Penguins). I'll let T-bone know what player I want and if he's around he can post it for me if that's ok and I'll just explain my pick later.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Spamtron7000 posted:

He's underrated if anything. If you want to build your team around a top Center there are only about 10 of those legitimately in the league and he is one of them. Kopitar is very good defensively, good at faceoffs, a good penalty killer and very well liked by his teammates. $6.8 million for what he brings to the table isn't bad. Plus, he's only 25.

TSN called him the 10th best player in the league for what it's worth. (all positions) I'd probably have him as the 10th best Centre.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Vigilance posted:

I don't have PMs and I won't be around for a couple of hours so sorry if you all have to wait but I will be back probably around 10-11ish EST to make my pick (Penguins). I'll let T-bone know what player I want and if he's around he can post it for me if that's ok and I'll just explain my pick later.

You can give me a list of like five players if you want also.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Kopitar's age pushes him over the top. If you're building a team for the next 10 years he's a definite top 10 guy.

Spamtron7000 posted:

I put some automatic salary cap calculation stuff at the bottom of the first sheet of the Google Doc but there's no way I'm going to copy and alter that formula for everyone. I did the Jets, Stars and Capitals and then I gave up.

Yeah while it would be nice to have it in one place that's a lotta work so hopefully everyone knows about : http://capgeek.com/ducks/cap-calculator as this thing goes on or else there are going to be some funny contracts in the AHL.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

Eventually there's going to be an AHL team that has like 7 players, it's inevitable.

• Locked thread