Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Also if continue makes you continue on that world then what the hell does retry do?
Probably sends you back to the title screen so you retry from 1-1, possibly with the other brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

But you're soooo bad! I think you're just reckless, though- dammit you're a loose Mario cannon who plays by his own Mario rules!

Anyways this is really weird- they did this promotional version of the game and took the opportunity to change things they didn't like from the original, or for no reason I guess? Why did they change the art for the ground, trees, clouds, mushrooms, and moving platforms?

I imagine because replacing sprite assets is pretty quick, and if they had them premade for mario 2 already, might as well add some more differentiation.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
You know, while I was aware of this game, I never put much effort into researching it. I decided to do that after seeing this video, and RIGHT after I looked up each of the DJ/Celebrities who replace sprites in this game (Goombas, piranha plants, and the Toads all get replaced--the Toads individually) I find This amazingly complete article all about the game. If you're at all curious about the game, I recommend checking that page out. It might be the most complete source of info on it in English. Also, I was surprised that 2 or 3 of the DJs are known in America. If you've seen either of the Major League sequels, then you've seen the guy who shows up at the end of 2-4. His comedy duo partner in 3-4 is the voice of Norimaro, everyone's favorite pervert from the overseas Marvel vs. Street Fighter games. And finally, the retainer at the end of world 5 is none other than "Beat" Takashi, who you may know as internationally acclaimed actor and filmmaker, or possibly as Japan's biggest troll, being the creator of the Takashi's Castle game show which was imported to the US and dumb-dubbed as "Most Extreme Elimination Challenge", as well as the NES game, "Takeshi's Challenge", the batshit insane NES game in which you quit your job, beat your wife, then sing in a karaoke competition before waiting irl an hour to get a treasure map to go hanggliding towards.

Also, I can vouch for the coordination change between right handed joysticks and left handed d-pads being tough. Then again, I was six when I got my first NES, and I had been using an atari joystick for 4 years already.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Interesting thing about the D-pad, I learned that having the left hand control movement was implemented because games like this required more precise timing on button-presses than actual movement, in contrast to games before this. I have a sister who's a lefty, and she never adapted to using her thumbs to control the game, so she'd hold the NES controller such that left index finger and middle finger were on the D-pad, and the same right hand fingers were on the buttons. I guess now that might be an advantage to games like Dark Souls, where you have to find a way to control shoulder buttons, face buttons, and the right analog stick all the same time.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Keith should play more because he plays like a normal person who hasn't played Mario and Sonic games from start to finish a jillion times.

also I'm worse than he is at these games...

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013
I'm making a SMB sprite sheet, and here is a screen shot:

The Incredible Ed
Nov 12, 2006

The way of a sluggard is like a hedge of thorns, but the path of the upright is a level highway.
Those bricks seem really out of place.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So when is Keith's avatar getting changed to Luigi?

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013

The Incredible Ed posted:

Those bricks seem really out of place.

Yes, I'm not sure what it should look like in HD. Any suggestions?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What is that even.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

mkwong98 posted:

Yes, I'm not sure what it should look like in HD. Any suggestions?

I'm thinking flatten the color contrast on them a little, and make them a bit darker. With the bright parts in the middle of them they look like they're trying to be 3d, which is a little weird.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Fun little interjection while we're still on SMB 1 variations...

If you want to try a new spin on the old classic, there's this cool flash based game out there called Super Mario Bros Crossover where it's SMB1, only with a ton of different selectable characters from different old school games, like Ryu Hayubasa, or Sonic, or Samus Aran, and here's the thing, it's not just a pallet swap when you get them (though each character has several costume changes), you get their full move set semi-unique to that character. Ever wonder what the game plays like with the Contra dudes and their many different weapon types? Or maybe you prefer to play as the tank from Blaster Master, with its wall/ceiling hugging ability and big ol' eff you gun? It's a really cool idea of a game, and I think there's unlockables for beating it with certain characters.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Choco1980 posted:

Fun little interjection while we're still on SMB 1 variations...

If you want to try a new spin on the old classic, there's this cool flash based game out there called Super Mario Bros Crossover where it's SMB1, only with a ton of different selectable characters from different old school games, like Ryu Hayubasa, or Sonic, or Samus Aran, and here's the thing, it's not just a pallet swap when you get them (though each character has several costume changes), you get their full move set semi-unique to that character. Ever wonder what the game plays like with the Contra dudes and their many different weapon types? Or maybe you prefer to play as the tank from Blaster Master, with its wall/ceiling hugging ability and big ol' eff you gun? It's a really cool idea of a game, and I think there's unlockables for beating it with certain characters.

Seconding that this game is pretty loving rad, if a little odd and wonky at times. The concept is really cool though.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RentCavalier posted:

Seconding that this game is pretty loving rad, if a little odd and wonky at times. The concept is really cool though.

But... link already had platformer mechanics premade. Why invent new ones?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Probably whenever Kyle's is changed to Mario.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
My parents both hold the Nintendo 64 controller like a joystick and grab the analog stick with their right hand. It's really awkward looking, but they keep saying that using the thumb is more awkward.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

SlothfulCobra posted:

Was his avatar ever Sonic?

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

quakster posted:

Play DDP instead, but act like it's SMB2. That way everyone's happy.

I'm just imagining them freaking out over the waterfalls for the entire game. :allears:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Spintzel posted:

My parents both hold the Nintendo 64 controller like a joystick and grab the analog stick with their right hand. It's really awkward looking, but they keep saying that using the thumb is more awkward.

is there a way to hold the N64 controller that's NOT awkward? Because I haven't discovered it yet.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Choco1980 posted:

is there a way to hold the N64 controller that's NOT awkward? Because I haven't discovered it yet.

Ignore the left prong which you will never use, left hand on center prong (thumb on joystick, index finger on Z button), right hand on right prong? Only problem is if you're in a rare game that requires use of the L button.

If playing Mischief Makers, hold like a regular controller and ignore the center prong.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I like the N64 controller quite a bit. If there were better padding on the analog stick it would be a lot better, though. Destroying your palm during Mario party I'd no fun.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
Is it an issue of size? I rather like the N64 controller as long as the game is well-designed for it, but I also have little girly hands. The angle of holding the center and right prongs feels nice to me, but I imagine it'd be annoying if your hands are large enough to bump together in that position.

Love that Z button, though. L-targeting in ports of Ocarina of Time just feels so wrong.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Was his avatar ever Sonic?

Yeah, he had three different Sonic-related avatars that can be seen here.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I recently started emulating N64 on my Wii, using a Gamecube controller, and let me tell you, it makes everything far better with its button arrangement. The only thing you have to get used to is that the C stick is NOT representing an analog in that system, but rather 4 buttons. However, it's still in the right spot and color on the controller.

bobbertoriley
Sep 6, 2011

Choco1980 posted:

I recently started emulating N64 on my Wii, using a Gamecube controller, and let me tell you, it makes everything far better with its button arrangement. The only thing you have to get used to is that the C stick is NOT representing an analog in that system, but rather 4 buttons. However, it's still in the right spot and color on the controller.

I've been using a Wavebird for a lot of Virtual Console emulation on my Wii, and it's the best controller for N64 games. Love the poo poo out of that controller. Shame the Wii U doesn't have backwards compatibility... So much better than their classic controllers.

I could always go in the reverse direction...http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/gc_to_n64_adapter/

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008

Patter Song posted:

Ignore the left prong which you will never use, left hand on center prong (thumb on joystick, index finger on Z button), right hand on right prong? Only problem is if you're in a rare game that requires use of the L button.

If playing Mischief Makers, hold like a regular controller and ignore the center prong.

These two formations are exactly how Nintendo tells you to hold the controller in every instruction manual ever (which one depends on the game or game mode).

The only bad things about the N64 controller are that you can't use the entire controller at once and that the control stick is a bit too hard. Which is not to say it's perfect otherwise, it's still missing plenty of things, just that there's nothing else actually bad about it.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I keep imagining them getting avatars from the Somari 64 comic by Doctor Chef in DJB's Bootleg Games thread that was just added to the Archives.

"I'ma gonna fly so high."

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Portals posted:

Yeah, he had three different Sonic-related avatars that can be seen here.

Haha I forgot about the SHUT UP one. Also thought Guided was the one with the Shadow avatar

:v: More you know!

bobbertoriley
Sep 6, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Haha I forgot about the SHUT UP one. Also thought Guided was the one with the Shadow avatar

:v: More you know!

Kyle had the Shadow one briefly. We did give it to Guided Cosine for a while, and it was her avatar until she got banned.

Oh, reminiscing the good ol' days...:allears:

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

...let's just put this away.

TechnoSyndrome posted:

All Night Nippon might have actually come out after Lost Levels, they both came out in 1986 but ANN doesn't have an exact release date. It also apparently has the letter worlds from Lost Levels, and I think Luigi controls like he does in LL instead of controlling exactly like Mario does.

Also if continue makes you continue on that world then what the hell does retry do?
This is just a complete guess, but I'm going to say it came out before SMB2J because it doesn't feature all of the graphical changes in that game, just most of them, so I assume SMB2J wasn't finished yet.

And as someone already pointed out, retry would take you either to the beginning of the game or the title screen.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Keith should play more because he plays like a normal person who hasn't played Mario and Sonic games from start to finish a jillion times.

also I'm worse than he is at these games...
You're a bad person and you should feel bad. Actually, I've only finished 3 and World one time each and, before this year, had never finished 1 at all, so I kind of feel like I already play like someone who isn't a Mario expert.

bobbertoriley posted:

Kyle had the Shadow one briefly. We did give it to Guided Cosine for a while, and it was her avatar until she got banned.

Oh, reminiscing the good ol' days...:allears:
Guided Cosine wasn't actually female. "She" claimed later that "she" just said that "to win an argument with a woman." :suicide:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Haha I forgot about the SHUT UP one.
:sigh:

Currawong posted:

Is it an issue of size? I rather like the N64 controller as long as the game is well-designed for it, but I also have little girly hands. The angle of holding the center and right prongs feels nice to me, but I imagine it'd be annoying if your hands are large enough to bump together in that position.

Love that Z button, though. L-targeting in ports of Ocarina of Time just feels so wrong.
As someone with average-to-large sized hands, I can vouch for the angle of the N64 controller prongs feeling awkard now that I'm no longer 7. Or maybe it's just more that I'm so much more used to controllers that aren't insane now. Also, I think L-targetting in Ocarina feel perfectly fine, but then again I never owned it until I got the Zelda collection pack-in disc with my Gamecube.

While we're mentioning people that hold the controller strangely, I once saw a friend's autistic brother playing Cruis'n World by placing his left hand on left-most prong (with the D-pad) and then reaching his thumb all the way over to analog stick. I can't take issue with his controller style, however, because he was incredible at the game.

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013

quakster posted:

What is that even.

I'm making a NES emulator which can replace the graphics with custom images up to 4x resolution. I'm using SMB as side project to test the emulator.

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

Done.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I got a pretty good laugh from your Retrospect: Lightening Force video where you mentioned after seeing Keith play SMB the thread would never ask for him to play again. Good call.

I have no problem with Keith playing, it's fun to watch your videos either way.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I loved watching Keith play this, mostly because I just had an hour of Kyle being really good at Mario and since this was essentially the same game it made for a pretty funny contrast.

Which might actually be an interesting way to do things. Kyle plays the games in their original forms, Keith fucks up on their remakes/updates. So Kyle does all the NES games while Keith does All-Stars, Kyle does Mario 64 while Keith does Mario 64 DS, etc. I don't know how well this would work in practice, though.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

19LettersLong posted:

Guided Cosine wasn't actually female. "She" claimed later that "she" just said that "to win an argument with a woman." :suicide:

And we know it was him/her, because he/she was able to link you to the exact fanfic that got him/her banned. :v:

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
It's amazing to learn that meme-filled ROM Hacks are actually one of the oldest traditions in gaming.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

By the way, is Yoshi's Safari in the works? I honestly didn't expect a mario-based rail shooter to exist.

mkwong98 posted:

I'm making a NES emulator which can replace the graphics with custom images up to 4x resolution. I'm using SMB as side project to test the emulator.

Well, if you need extra sprites or tiles, Open Game Art has a pretty wide variety.

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Trash Boat posted:

And we know it was him/her, because he/she was able to link you to the exact fanfic that got him/her banned. :v:
Oh yeah, I forgot that we didn't know for sure if the person who said that was really Guided Cosine... The epic mystery continues.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sillyman posted:

These two formations are exactly how Nintendo tells you to hold the controller in every instruction manual ever (which one depends on the game or game mode).

The only bad things about the N64 controller are that you can't use the entire controller at once and that the control stick is a bit too hard. Which is not to say it's perfect otherwise, it's still missing plenty of things, just that there's nothing else actually bad about it.
If you haven't 100%'d both SM64 and OoT at least twice while holding the controller like a Playstation one, stretching your thumb from the left handle to the stick in the middle, you're literally a scrub you haven't lived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013

Tunicate posted:

By the way, is Yoshi's Safari in the works? I honestly didn't expect a mario-based rail shooter to exist.

Well, if you need extra sprites or tiles, Open Game Art has a pretty wide variety.

Looks like a cool place. Thanks!

• Locked thread