Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Wark Say posted:

But the thing with DBZ is that the anime was airing while the manga was still ongoing. Hell, wasn't that the whole reason the battle in Namek feels abysmally endless? The fact that they were catching up mind-numbingly fast? With JoJo they have no such constraints, and for Parts 3 and 4, a lot of the charm is the world-building. I guess they should be able to streamline it without downright butchering anything.

From what I read somewhere (probably 2ch, since they were going apeshit when the anime was airing) Phantom Blood was cut to 9 episodes because of Araki and how he feels slightly "embarrassed" by it. Hell, if anything, Battle Tendency felt almost perfect with the 17 episodes it was given, and they only cut like 2 chapters, tops.

Battle Tendency is considerably less than half the length of Stardust Crusaders, though. 39 episodes seems best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Introduction episode, Jotaro, Abdul, Joseph
Kakyoin
Tower of Gray, Dark Blue Moon
Polnareff
Strength, Devo
Rubber Soul
J Geil, Hol Horse
Empress
Wheel of Fortune, Sun
Enya
Steely Dan
Death Thirteen
Judgement
Midler
N'Dour, Iggy
Oingo, Boingo
Boingo, Hol Horse
Anubis
Mariah
Alessi
Osiris (the Gambler)
Petshop
Atum (the Gamer)
Kenny G, Vanilla Ice
Dio
Dio

26 episodes. Which of these could justify needing more episodes? Enya, Vanilla Ice, and J. Geil/Hol Horse, maybe.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Captain Cappy posted:

Introduction episode, Jotaro, Abdul, Joseph
Kakyoin
Tower of Gray, Dark Blue Moon
Polnareff
Strength, Devo
Rubber Soul
J Geil, Hol Horse
Empress
Wheel of Fortune, Sun
Enya
Steely Dan
Death Thirteen
Judgement
Midler
N'Dour, Iggy
Oingo, Boingo
Boingo, Hol Horse
Anubis
Mariah
Alessi
Osiris (the Gambler)
Petshop
Atum (the Gamer)
Kenny G, Vanilla Ice
Dio
Dio

26 episodes. Which of these could justify needing more episodes? Enya, Vanilla Ice, and J. Geil/Hol Horse, maybe.

I could see Darby the Gamer getting 2 eps and Dio getting 3. Having said that, I agree that 26 eps is workable; maybe I was too hasty in preferring 39. I don't think Part 4 can be done in 26, though.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I hope they do what the ova did with Dio's world because the manga just makes Jotaro and co look really incompetent in how they choose to engage him.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Trying to do an episode per stand sounds like a really easy way to rush certain things and end up having a lackluster product. They need to just go at their own pace and do the stands as they see fit, I can easily imagine certain stands taking more than one episode, especially the Egyptian God ones.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Based on the animated part1&2 and their fondness for cliffhangers Stand-of-the-day doesn't seem like a thing that David would for for part3. Sure, there are fights that are definitely great for a single chapter (Mariah, for instance) but some others will fit better with one chapter to introduce a new foe and end with a cliffhanger and then another one to resolve the fight and do some world-building.

lyricaldanichan
Jan 23, 2004

My Boredom Has Outshined The Sun
Would Midler be in the tv series? Since she wasn't much in the manga and was a new character for the Capcom game. It would change things up a bit, but I would be surprised that she shows up.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm sure they'll show her image in the anime since they have a design. I'm sure the reason Araki didn't show her to begin with was he didn't have a design planned for her at the moment and just figured she wouldn't be seen often because of that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

lyricaldanichan posted:

Would Midler be in the tv series? Since she wasn't much in the manga and was a new character for the Capcom game. It would change things up a bit, but I would be surprised that she shows up.

She appeared in the manga. The fight was just with her stand that she was speaking through and you only saw her knocked out body from the legs down in the manga is all.

Also on the Episode thing. Enya is Enya/Hol Horse and Boingo/Hol Horse happen after D'Arby the gambler. And there is a Hol Horse chapter right after Alessi.

Pretty much there is a lot of Hol Horse.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Hol Horse was a pretty awesome villain.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Apparently, Koichi and Akira Otoishi were confirmed for ASB in the latest issue of Jump (no pictures yet, though).

(source)

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Otoishi seems like a weird choice, given that I had to look him up to remember who he is. I guess it's a pretty cool stand though.

Koichi could be a fun character, if they let him switch between the different levels of Echoes.

Pompadour Diamond
Mar 21, 2013
Huh, I was thinking that Koichi wouldn't be in due to being so short that all the other characters' punches wouldn't hit him. With him being in, though, I wonder if it's possible for Iggy to make it in as.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Otoishi's stand is one of the best, and he's an important minor villain.

He kind of suffers from the "Diavolo" syndrome, his stand's design is better than his design.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Kurtofan posted:

Otoishi's stand is one of the best, and he's an important minor villain.

He kind of suffers from the "Diavolo" syndrome, his stand's design is better than his design.

Yea but he still plays a guitar, making it squeal to say "Yesssss!" instead of speaking. So hes in.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Otoshi will be a great character if and only if all his moves involve whacking people with his ludicrously expensive guitar.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Mr. Maltose posted:

Otoshi will be a great character if and only if all his moves involve whacking people with his ludicrously expensive guitar.

The only reason Otoshis guitar and Superflys calluses arent the greatest two page spreads in manga history is that nothing can beat Ultimate Cars.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.
I think I'm ready for Red Chilli Hot Pepper. Otoshi was just loving goofy he's gonna be great.

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

I hate them all except for turtleface.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
I forgot how much Koichi looks like DBZ's Gohan until I see that loving super saiyan hair.

Araki...:cripes:

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndk30TWzi7U

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Otoishi is like the weirdest choice, I'd have much rather had Bad Company, that was a cool stand.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Otoishi is like the weirdest choice, I'd have much rather had Bad Company, that was a cool stand.

Not really, he was pretty much the "main" villain of the first 8 volumes, having stolen the arrow.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Otoishi is pretty much the source of everything that happens in Part IV, so having him in the game makes good sense.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Mr. Maltose posted:

Otoishi is pretty much the source of everything that happens in Part IV, so having him in the game makes good sense.

I think having Funny Valentine or Pucci would make more sense, we've already got one part 4 villain. Also I want to see them approach D4C in terms of game mechanics. He'd pull through clones of yourself that you'd have to avoid touching, he'd vanish and replace himself with a healthier funny valentine if you squished him against the ground or against the side of the stage, he could bring in other funnys to shoot you, and he could have his ridiculous invincible misfortune deflection thing as a super. Or he could pull both the players through to a different universe, and the stage you're fighting in would change.

Man I started out sorta joking like "oh how would they ever put jumping through multiple universes into a fighting game" but now I've thought about it you could make him work pretty easily.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Except Kira is apparently Day One DLC or something.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mr. Maltose posted:

That doesn't make him memorable. I really can't remember much of anything he did because he's forgettable. He jammed on his guitar, did silly movements and had a lightning chicken stand, however that design for his stand was cool. Hell, I remember more of what Cheap Trick did than Otoishi. Koichi's also pretty boring too, so all in all I don't honestly care for this set of characters. I'm sure someone interesting will pop up soon, but I hope it happens soon, because drat am I losing steam on this game since the last trailer.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Red Bones posted:

I think having Funny Valentine or Pucci would make more sense, we've already got one part 4 villain. Also I want to see them approach D4C in terms of game mechanics. He'd pull through clones of yourself that you'd have to avoid touching, he'd vanish and replace himself with a healthier funny valentine if you squished him against the ground or against the side of the stage, he could bring in other funnys to shoot you, and he could have his ridiculous invincible misfortune deflection thing as a super. Or he could pull both the players through to a different universe, and the stage you're fighting in would change.

Man I started out sorta joking like "oh how would they ever put jumping through multiple universes into a fighting game" but now I've thought about it you could make him work pretty easily.

There's nothing that says we won't get Pucci and Valentine, I'd say the fact that we're getting minor villains means the major villains are most certainly in.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Except Kira is apparently Day One DLC or something.

Popular character as day 1 DLC=lots of dough.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

That doesn't make him memorable. I really can't remember much of anything he did because he's forgettable. He jammed on his guitar, did silly movements and had a lightning chicken stand, however that design for his stand was cool. Hell, I remember more of what Cheap Trick did than Otoishi. Koichi's also pretty boring too, so all in all I don't honestly care for this set of characters. I'm sure someone interesting will pop up soon, but I hope it happens soon, because drat am I losing steam on this game since the last trailer.

Koichi is a pretty important character and his evolutionary stand can make for some cool gameplay.

Cheap Trick and Otoishi aren't really comparable, I can't imagine Cheap Trick as a character in a fighting game, while Otoishi and especially RHCP are spot on.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 10, 2013

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Akira was the main villain for a bit and was more or less the most memorable villain in that part that was not Kira. He is kind of like the Hol Horse of his part.

You just have to think in parts 5 to 7 who was the most memorable villain that was not the main. For me its Part 5 Risotto Nero, Part 6 (I have not finished so I can't say.) Part 7 Dino Dio.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
For what it's worth there's a leak list that has been circulating since a few months but of course take it with a grain of salt:

Phantom Blood
Jonathan, Will Zeppelli, Dio Brando

Battle Tendency
Joseph, Caesar Zeppeli, Lisa Lisa, Wham, ACDC, Cars

Stardust Crusaders
Jotaro, Abdul, Kakyoin, Polnareff, Iggy, Hol Horse, Vanilla Ice, DIO

Diamond is Unbreakable
Josuke, Okuyasu, Koichi, Rohan, Akira Otoishi, Kira

Vento Aureo
Giorno, Bruno Buccellati, Mista, Narancia, Abbachio, Fugo, Trish, Ciaccolata, Ghiaccio, Risotto, Diavolo

Stone Ocean
Jolyne, Hermes, Annasui, F.F., Weather Report, Pucci

Steel Ball Run
Johnny, Gyro, Diego, Valentine

JoJolion
Jo2uke

45 total.

So far it's accurate, though I don't think Otoishi was a hard guess.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

45 total.

So far it's accurate, though I don't think Otoishi was a hard guess.
I'm not entirely opposed, but man that is a lot of Part 5. I guess it's the only part other than 3 with a big cast of mains with good battle stands, and it's popular in Japan, so it does make sense too. I hope we get more Villains later though!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Yeah... eleven from part five and four from part SBR? What?

I'll be honest, I'm never going to play this game, but still... that's just insulting.

Edit: Wait, 5 is popular in Japan? I thought it was the part everyone agreed was kind of... bad.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Eiba posted:

Edit: Wait, 5 is popular in Japan? I thought it was the part everyone agreed was kind of... bad.

I don't know about Japan, but I don't agree with that.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Part 5 is awesome up until the last fight, and then you just sort of stare at the pictures for a while.

failedninja
Nov 29, 2008
Those guys must really like Part 5, I can't think of any other reason to include someone like Fugo.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kurtofan posted:

Koichi is a pretty important character and his evolutionary stand can make for some cool gameplay.

I really doubt that, leveling up gimmicks in fighting games by nature end up making characters less enjoyable and more tedious to use. The only exception I can think of really is Frank West in UMVC3 and I really have no faith in CC2 to make an actual good fighting game. One that's dumb fun like the Naruto games sure, but still like most anime based fighters.

quote:

Cheap Trick and Otoishi aren't really comparable, I can't imagine Cheap Trick as a character in a fighting game, while Otoishi and especially RHCP are spot on.

Fair enough. There aren't a lot of stand users in Part 4 who could be made into fighting characters without massive retooling and Otoishi fills a character slot for Part 4 while also being a villain. My main problem is that I really don't consider him that noteworthy since Kira was the man.

failedninja posted:

Those guys must really like Part 5, I can't think of any other reason to include someone like Fugo.

I'm almost entirely sure half of that list is crap. There is no way they're putting Abbachio, Young Dio (Especially if that list doesn't have Old Joseph), Rohan, and Trish in. Especially since Rohan doesn't even have a fighting stand or one you could construe into a fighting stand like Joseph does. As Kurtofan said, it's best to take it with a grain of salt.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I really doubt that, leveling up gimmicks in fighting games by nature end up making characters less enjoyable and more tedious to use. The only exception I can think of really is Frank West in UMVC3 and I really have no faith in CC2 to make an actual good fighting game. One that's dumb fun like the Naruto games sure, but still like most anime based fighters.

Fair enough. There aren't a lot of stand users in Part 4 who could be made into fighting characters without massive retooling and Otoishi fills a character slot for Part 4 while also being a villain. My main problem is that I really don't consider him that noteworthy since Kira was the man.

On the Koichi thing. Johnny has a multiple stage stand as well and no complaints were made about him.

On Otoishi. He is the man second to Kira. generally when people think of villains in that part he is the one to top the list after Kira.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

MonsterEnvy posted:

On the Koichi thing. Johnny has a multiple stage stand as well and no complaints were made about him.

On Otoishi. He is the man second to Kira. generally when people think of villains in that part he is the one to top the list after Kira.

On the first point, from what we've seen it seems more to me like Johnny's specials just use the different parts of Tusk for separate specials rather than using a leveling system, Johnny's gimmick is finger bullets and reloading with tea. We haven't seen Koichi's gameplay, so if his acts are treated like what Johnny's look like, then that's fine.

On the latter, I don't think that at all because Yoshihiro is far more involved with Kira than Otoishi was and generally acted a sidekick to his son. Even to the point where he acted as a much bigger rear end in a top hat than Kira and protected him while in a friggin' photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah but Highway Star...

No Wave fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Apr 11, 2013

• Locked thread