Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Shoeonhead22 posted:

Eventually there's going to be an AHL team that has like 7 players, it's inevitable.

Well the AHL doesn't have a cap so it'd be more like an NHL team with three lines (which is actually against league regulations).

Basically no one draft Bryzgalov.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Spamtron7000 posted:

I put some automatic salary cap calculation stuff at the bottom of the first sheet of the Google Doc but there's no way I'm going to copy and alter that formula for everyone. I did the Jets, Stars and Capitals and then I gave up.

you were nearly there! I just had to change one part of the formula and we had it :)

Just enter the salaries for your players on the line and it will collect at the bottom.

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

Was my contract good for you, too?

T-Bone posted:

Well the AHL doesn't have a cap so it'd be more like an NHL team with three lines (which is actually against league regulations).

Basically no one draft Bryzgalov.

Oh, I thought it was $70million to draft 50 players

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Shoeonhead22 posted:

Oh, I thought it was $70million to draft 50 players

Nope, for your NHL roster. Your AHL team can be pretty much whoever.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Are we respecting NMCs? Because technically those guys should ineligible for the AHL right?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

i am not so sure posted:

Nope, for your NHL roster. Your AHL team can be pretty much whoever.

are we going to respect AHL roster rules? there's limits on the number of players you can have on an AHL team over a certain age and with 100 games NHL experiance.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

Starsfan posted:

you were nearly there! I just had to change one part of the formula and we had it :)

Just enter the salaries for your players on the line and it will collect at the bottom.

Tell me if you don't mind. I love sumif but I'm not clear on how to keep the cell references from locking when you copy/move things around. Is that what the $'s are for?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Yes to both.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Spamtron7000 posted:

Tell me if you don't mind. I love sumif but I'm not clear on how to keep the cell references from locking when you copy/move things around. Is that what the $'s are for?

yeah, the dollar signs go in front of what you to lock. =$A$1 will lock that reference to cell A1 no matter where you drag the formula, whereas =A1 will move the reference so many columns or rows depending on where you drag / copy the formula to. =$A1 will lock the reference in column A of the spreadsheet so you can copy / drag the formula down and have the reference move to cell A2, A3 etc.. =A$1 locks the reference in row 1 of the spreadsheet, but you can copy / drag the formula over to a different column and have the reference move to cell B1, C1, etc.

It's alot harder to explain well than I thought it would be. Hopefully that clears it up.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

i am not so sure posted:

At almost $10m, he is a bargain? Alright man, go for it.

I think a lot of the players taken earlier play in all situations and make less and are younger, making them more reasonable. But I would have taken Ovechkin over Malkin, probably.

I gave it some thought, but holy gently caress that contract.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
would be cool if I could pick tonight

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Yeah stab hasn't answered my PM. I have to go to bed though so we will have to pick for him tomorrow.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

i am not so sure posted:

Yeah stab hasn't answered my PM. I have to go to bed though so we will have to pick for him tomorrow.

crap posting from my phone to get the ball rolling but ill fill this out later

total homer pick, but im taking carey price.

yup its party time

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

stab posted:

crap posting from my phone to get the ball rolling but ill fill this out later

total homer pick, but im taking carey price.

yup its party time

Cool, thanks for doing so!

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Kings up, going to bed.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Carey is the first goalie pick, huh? I honestly expected a couple other goalies to go before him, but that's cool too. He's young, dude's a workhorse and he's really good. Contract's not great, but he's worth the price.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I was hoping to get Price 2nd round.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Spamtron7000 posted:

I was hoping to get Price 2nd round.

Are you making GBS threads me? I had him pencilled in for my first pick with a (lol yeah right i'm sure he'll be there) beside it. I can't think of a better metis to build a team around.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Hey guys, when I get home, I will consensus pick next. About 2pm.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
And here I was thinking I was going to get to pick a player today.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

It's been what, two days since everybody read the disclaimer that this was going to take effort and require regular checkups and that you shouldn't sign up if you don't want to commit to any of the above? Please just kick out anyone who can't be bothered to pick in the first two rounds. We aren't even managing 10 picks per day and that pace will still take 2-3 months to pick a full roster plus a few depth prospects/AHLers.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Yeah, like it was pretty obvious this was going to take some effort cmon gooners

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
This pace is exactly what I expected. Not pleasant, but expected.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
As someone who goes to school and work I'm pretty happy with this pace. I check it every spare moment I get and I haven't held anyone up yet! because I have yet to pick

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
I don't think it's a big deal, and it's a 50 contract draft with 30 GMs. Even if we're talking only two hours per pick, this is going to take 2+ months. And a 12-hour window means 12 hours. But yeah, if people forget to check the thread for ther first pick, it doesn't bode well for picks 10-50. If you don't check the thread but are active elsewhere on the boards, it's not a great sign.

We should just use the time to discuss previous picks etc., if you just want a speedy fantasy draft load up NHL 13 or EHM.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I'm worried about getting to the point where I'm looking up players because I'm out of people to pick...

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Austrian mook posted:

I'm worried about getting to the point where I'm looking up players because I'm out of people to pick...

Its a good reason to learn more about AHLers and depth guys. I'm looking forward to getting to the late rounds and nabbing the 200k AHL contract guys.

Also the pace is fine as long as we respect the 12 hours, but yeah missing your first pick isn't a great sign.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Austrian mook posted:

Luckily, you have about eight months to research this, if this pace continues.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

mozza posted:

We should just use the time to discuss previous picks etc.

That Carey Price guy that got taken 20+ hours ago is a real winner. Uh..that's about all for now. See you guys tomorrow for another riveting discussion, hopefully.

Dauher
Jul 22, 2007
The man from not near.
Seriously. What is there to discuss? I'm just gonna drop out, I dont think this is for me if its just a slow half year fantasy draft.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I don't think any picks will be remotely interesting or discussion worthy until after the second round or so, to be honest.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I think it will be cool to look at teams as they get built but right now it's kinda hard because we haven't even finished half a loving round.

Don't quit Dauher you actually showed up for your pick in a reasonable time frame. Give it a couple of rounds at least.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 11, 2013

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

See, my Hall pick generated discussion. You guys should be bathing my feet right now.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

If we had 10 picks done since last night there would be plenty to discuss and it would be interesting. Having nothing done for most of a day leaves, well, nothing.

Also since we made a rule about not discussing players who weren't picked it's a bit hard to say anything more than 'I think there are better goalies than Carey Price although I can see why he'd be taken first'.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

eXXon posted:

If we had 10 picks done since last night there would be plenty to discuss and it would be interesting. Having nothing done for most of a day leaves, well, nothing.

Also since we made a rule about not discussing players who weren't picked it's a bit hard to say anything more than 'I think there are better goalies than Carey Price although I can see why he'd be taken first'.

I will also say that I was fairly surprised that not only was Subban the second defenseman taken, but that he was taken so high. It's not a bad pick or anything, but there's one or two other unnamed defenseman I would have picked before him.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Guys. I'm gonna make the pick for this person in like a half hour, and then the rest of the round should be done by today. I really don't think that's too bad a pace, and if the GM's who haven't responded don't by the second round they'll be booted and replaced before their picks.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

i am not so sure posted:

Guys. I'm gonna make the pick for this person in like a half hour, and then the rest of the round should be done by today. I really don't think that's too bad a pace, and if the GM's who haven't responded don't by the second round they'll be booted and replaced before their picks.

No one's putting this on you. These can be a hassle running these things, as I'm sure you know as well as I do, so again, thanks for the time spent on it thus far. But I very much doubt we finish the round today. I may sound like a broken record at this point, but I did say this would happen before we started, so I'll just float this idea out there one more time and then not mention it again. I think we should cut down pick times to 3 or 4 hours, and have a grace period from say 12-8 am EST, in which the person on the clock's time freezes. Now, 3 or 4 hours would normally be pretty fast, but if your pick's coming up in the next 7 or 8 turns, just send I am Not So Sure an email or PM with a five-man shortlist and he'll make the pick for you if you don't show up. Everybody gets their pick and the draft moves at least three times quicker.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

i am not so sure posted:

sounds good

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Paulocaust posted:

No one's putting this on you. These can be a hassle running these things, as I'm sure you know as well as I do, so again, thanks for the time spent on it thus far. But I very much doubt we finish the round today. I may sound like a broken record at this point, but I did say this would happen before we started, so I'll just float this idea out there one more time and then not mention it again. I think we should cut down pick times to 3 or 4 hours, and have a grace period from say 12-8 am EST, in which the person on the clock's time freezes. Now, 3 or 4 hours would normally be pretty fast, but if your pick's coming up in the next 7 or 8 turns, just send I am Not So Sure an email or PM with a five-man shortlist and he'll make the pick for you if you don't show up. Everybody gets their pick and the draft moves at least three times quicker.

That's too complicated. I think we can leave things where they are unless the picking GM hasn't communicated with me or the thread. If it's a GM's turn I PM them if possible, but if they do not respond, within a couple hours their picks will be made for them by consensus. And all of you coming up, it could not hurt to submit a short list to me in advance in case I can post more timely than you.

Also, we need waitlist GM's. Something tells me we are gonna want to boot a couple GM's after this round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
I can step in as a temporary GM and make the picks until someone permament takes over if you'd want.

Warning though; I live in the Eurozone.

• Locked thread