Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

draks
Apr 29, 2009

here he comes
I am currently living vicariously through people livetweeting the episode on Twitter.

this is actually a pretty satisfactory experience. There's tons of people actively describing what's going on at any given moment, and whenever Arino messes up really bad or makes a hard-to-understand joke like 20-30 tweets all pour in at once about it.

e: whoa whoa whoa they're releasing a GCCX soundtrack??? Slated for release in July, I guess???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

There's the big announcement: a Game Center CX sountrack!

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Random Stranger posted:

Fantastic, I need this.

draks
Apr 29, 2009

here he comes

THAR SHE BLOWS, LADIES AND GENTS. It is indeed planned for a July release. Photo courtesy of a twitter denizen with some incredible camera reflexes.

or a DVR, i guess.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Did they say how many discs it would be?

gunstarheroes
Mar 11, 2013

draks posted:

THAR SHE BLOWS, LADIES AND GENTS. It is indeed planned for a July release. Photo courtesy of a twitter denizen with some incredible camera reflexes.

or a DVR, i guess.

Right into my blood man. Finally can have that Headhunter theme (at least, hopefully).

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

gunstarheroes posted:

So, i run (with a friend) a relatively popular Tumblr dedicated to Game Center CX, and on a whim, decided to take a fan poll about favorite and least favorite segments, challenges, and staff members. I was sort of curious how the western fans compare to the Japanese fans, plus i just thought it would be kind of cool to see what people think at this point. If you are interested:

Game Center CX Survey

On the hand of the Mr. Gimmick, that might have been one of the best endings to any episode. I'm not surprised it froze, but since they do tend to move systems all the time without it happening, i was sort of shocked when it finally did happen

I really had a hard time thinking of a favorite episode. I think my favorites ended up being surprises. Tokimemi Memorial is a specific ep that I always think of when I think of a favorite, mostly because I didnt expect them to turn a dating sim into something so fun. Like most adventure games, I imagined it just being reading a bunch of text and sort of boring, but all the special segments like Arinos love advice pushes it over the top. Going into something that you expect to not like much, and having it blow away your expectations makes it that much better.

e: Im in love with the quiz episodes for the same reason. Well, most of the at least. I didnt like Yuuyu that much, but a lot of that game hinged on early 90s japanese pop culture nostalgia. Feudal Lord, Hatena Adventure and Child Rearing Quiz didnt feel like they were stuck in the past.

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 11, 2013

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

draks posted:

or a DVR, i guess.

I don't know how there can really be a soundtrack when there's only 2 or 3 original songs from the show, but if it contains music that is used from other things, I wonder if this is the reason they took down the videos on Youtube with the songs.

Regarding the survey, it's difficult to choose only one person and side segment. I like them all!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Oh my god, the next episode is going to be nuts...

The Family Trainer/Power Pad returns!

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Representing Inoko Max MOST SHOCKING! Those get me every time.

Densha De Go! is clearly the best episode though.

draks
Apr 29, 2009

here he comes

Random Stranger posted:

Oh my god, the next episode is going to be nuts...

The Family Trainer/Power Pad returns!

I am simultaneously pumped and terrified. I am terripumped.

let's hope the chief can keep his pants on this time around

e: a little more post content - interestingly, a lot of the jp fans on twitter were comparing Mickey's Magical Quest to Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts, especially concerning the final boss. A few even said they were afraid Pluto was going to tell Mickey that Pete was just an illusion, and he needed to start from the beginning again to defeat the TRUE final boss... I never really thought to make the comparison before, but... man... I guess?

draks fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 11, 2013

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Bart Fargo posted:

Representing Inoko Max MOST SHOCKING! Those get me every time.

Densha De Go! is clearly the best episode though.

I had a hard time picking a least favorite segment. In the end I voted for "Everything I learned was from strategy guides", although in hind sight I probably should have picked Ring Ring Tactics, because just thinking about it gets the music from that game stuck in my head

gunstarheroes
Mar 11, 2013
So far, i'm genuinely shocked how close it is between Everything I Learned from Strategy Guides and Barcode Battler for least favorite. They are some of my favorites...

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

draks posted:

or a DVR, i guess.

So we're finally going to get an official release of Last Continue and Watanabe's Graduation song

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bpc908 posted:

So we're finally going to get an official release of Last Continue and Watanabe's Graduation song

There has been official releases of those. They both were available for download and Last Continue is on a CD that came with the Game Center CX in USA DVD set.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

gunstarheroes posted:

So far, i'm genuinely shocked how close it is between Everything I Learned from Strategy Guides and Barcode Battler for least favorite. They are some of my favorites...

A lot of the barcode battler segment is hedged in being a big ol Liar Game ref. Ive read Liar Game, and I didnt even recognize the reference because the producers were specifically aping the tv drama version and not the comic book (which, I think is way better than the drama). I watched the drama for fun a few weeks ago and suddenly realized what the Barcode battler segment was up to. So its really just a big inside joke that most western audiences are on the outside of.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

There has been official releases of those. They both were available for download and Last Continue is on a CD that came with the Game Center CX in USA DVD set.

I didn't know that, got a link for the download?

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
My favourites are the games where Arino interacts with the game's narrative and talking to the characters as if they were real people.

I put down Tokimeki Memorial, Clock Tower and S.O.S for favourites

My least favourite are "super tough action games" where he just fails constantly over and over. I don't find that interesting to watch at all, especially when the gameplay stays the same. Battletoads is an exception because... well, the gameplay always changes.

Mega Man 4 was one of my 3 least favourite choices because it felt like he was just phoning it in, dealing with every situation just by standing still and hoping to kill the enemies before he dies himself instead of actually playing the game.

I can't remember any other specific "I don't like this challenges though" because I tend not to remember them specifically if they fall under said category.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I'm interested in the results of the survey but I would have been more interested if we included demographic information regarding gender and age groups (and maybe even location) because I'm genuinely curious about who the show is actually appealing to besides the obvious and to see viewing trends within regions/ages/etc.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, I was expecting age and location choices as well.

One of my personal favourites is Takeshi's castle. I always enjoy watching out-of-shape Arino struggle with the power pad. Wasn't Battletoads missing from that list or have I just gone blind? But those two and Tokimeki memorial are my top 3, Tokimeki has a lot of memorable lines and Arino's romance tips. "Isn't her chin sticking out a bit?"

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Davzz posted:

I can't remember any other specific "I don't like this challenges though" because I tend not to remember them specifically if they fall under said category.

I recently watched Battle Golfer Yui and that was probably my least favorite episode.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Anyone want a new wallpaper?

The upcoming soundtrack would explain why the Hiwou War Chronicles was taken off Youtube. I imagine that on top of the three original songs (Last Continue, Farewell Game, Fight! Chief Fighter), they'll include songs commonly used on the show like that one.

Another screenshot from this episode.

draks
Apr 29, 2009

here he comes

Flashy indeed. Photo courtesy of Arino himself on twitter, along with the following message..

The opening's changed into somethin' with a sorta celebratory feel. I'm feelin' a bit pressured by it...
But I'll cope. I'll just completely ignore the pressure altogether!!

I'm no translation champ so any Actual Champs feel free to correct me! I am still a learning baby.

gccx liveposting over, back into the shadows i go

e: wait how am i supposed to retreat into the shadows when THAT HAT

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

I hope someone posts a video of the new opening. I really want to see it

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

Any time Arino is forced into some outfit, no matter how simple, it immediately jumps up my list of episodes I can't wait to see translated. He's always so defeated when it happens. Ah.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

gunstarheroes posted:

So, i run (with a friend) a relatively popular Tumblr dedicated to Game Center CX, and on a whim, decided to take a fan poll about favorite and least favorite segments, challenges, and staff members. I was sort of curious how the western fans compare to the Japanese fans, plus i just thought it would be kind of cool to see what people think at this point. If you are interested:

Game Center CX Survey

On the hand of the Mr. Gimmick, that might have been one of the best endings to any episode. I'm not surprised it froze, but since they do tend to move systems all the time without it happening, i was sort of shocked when it finally did happen

I never noticed the GCCX Tumblr page. Good job with all who work on it. I always had this forum to go to for GCCX, but now have some where else to discuss GCCX stuff instead of 4chan. Want links to the most recent GCCX raw episodes online?

As a monumental episode, I hope you release it pretty soon.

joek0 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 11, 2013

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Azazell0 posted:

Yeah, I was expecting age and location choices as well.

One of my personal favourites is Takeshi's castle. I always enjoy watching out-of-shape Arino struggle with the power pad. Wasn't Battletoads missing from that list or have I just gone blind? But those two and Tokimeki memorial are my top 3, Tokimeki has a lot of memorable lines and Arino's romance tips. "Isn't her chin sticking out a bit?"

Also I didn't see Battletoads anywhere in the lists and it is clearly the best episode. :colbert:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Well, Battletoads challenge is so loved that maybe it's a given it would take the top spot, so it's only fair to give other games a chance too...

That 17th season opener looks like a lot of fun. Can't wait to watch it. Hopefully they will release that soundtrack so us non-Japan GCCX fans have a chance of legit buying it, because that's something I know I will want to have.

Also, best 5 dollars I've ever spent.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Azazell0 posted:

That 17th season opener looks like a lot of fun. Can't wait to watch it. Hopefully they will release that soundtrack so us non-Japan GCCX fans have a chance of legit buying it, because that's something I know I will want to have.

It's not up on Amazon yet but I'm sure it will be soon.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Azazell0 posted:

Hopefully they will release that soundtrack so us non-Japan GCCX fans have a chance of legit buying it, because that's something I know I will want to have.

Good news: Even if it doesn't get an official U.S. release, there are tons of stores that specialize in Japanese CD Imports because Japan often gets special editions of many albums with bonus tracks unavailable anywhere.

Bad news: You will pay FAR out the rear end for it. A typical CD in Japan is 2800 yen (close to $30US) and this doesn't take into account overseas shipping. If they make it multi-CD it'll cost more, but being something for a niche interest it could end up being more expensive anyway (like 3800 yen or 4800 yen). And this still doesn't account for shipping. The CD being cheaper than that will likely only happen if it's a mini-album of sorts, like 30-odd minutes of material, but even getting it for $40 after shipping isn't likely unless you order multiple things from Japan at once.

gunstarheroes
Mar 11, 2013
Out of all the games to miss, i miss Battletoads :bang:

How i managed to miss that game after reading it 3 times is beyond me. I think i'm just going to edit it an age/gender/region 4th page, and just ask people to re-do it quick. Let me fix these issues, and check the list one more time.

Edit: Here is the new, improved, not-lacking Battletoads (and i made sure nothing else) Survey. If you have taken it once, please take it once more. Sorry for the issues, i sort of did it for fun, and i'm shocked at how positive and cool the reception has been. I'll probably compile stuff after a few days, make sure everyone gets a chance to take it

Game Center CX Survey

gunstarheroes fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 11, 2013

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
You guys like the theme song?! :gonk:

Random Stranger posted:

This is the only song that's ever aired on the show that deserves to be on a soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe9x2on1_bU

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

ACID POLICE posted:

This is the only song that's ever aired on the show that deserves to be on a soundtrack.

Wow you are SO wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFF7FCfQTyI

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

gunstarheroes posted:

Out of all the games to miss, i miss Battletoads :bang:

How i managed to miss that game after reading it 3 times is beyond me. I think i'm just going to edit it an age/gender/region 4th page, and just ask people to re-do it quick. Let me fix these issues, and check the list one more time.

Edit: Here is the new, improved, not-lacking Battletoads (and i made sure nothing else) Survey. If you have taken it once, please take it once more. Sorry for the issues, i sort of did it for fun, and i'm shocked at how positive and cool the reception has been. I'll probably compile stuff after a few days, make sure everyone gets a chance to take it

Game Center CX Survey

I hate to break it to you but you're also missing Takeshi no Chousenjo, unless we're not counting that one even if it's been two challenges, technically speaking! Still, it's a cool idea to make the survey. Can't wait to see results!

(sidenote, I probably would have left the Tama-ge and Collection segments out of the "favorite segment" list because they're in every season and I fully expect the Tama-ge segment to decimate everything else)

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 11, 2013

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

ACID POLICE posted:

I tried to recreate the clip they use on the show for a post I made in the retro games thread. I think I got pretty close considering I did not really understand how all of the sliders on the reverb effect affected the sound.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

As long as we're talking about the show soundtrack, I'll ask again what I asked a few pages back. Does anyone know what tune is used when things are looking bad for Arino? It's sort of sad piano intro of some tune but I don't know what. One example it's used on is Donkey kong country (075) at 28:28 onwards.

gunstarheroes
Mar 11, 2013

Caitlin posted:

I hate to break it to you but you're also missing Takeshi no Chousenjo, unless we're not counting that one even if it's been two challenges, technically speaking! Still, it's a cool idea to make the survey. Can't wait to see results!

(sidenote, I probably would have left the Tama-ge and Collection segments out of the "favorite segment" list because they're in every season and I fully expect the Tama-ge segment to decimate everything else)

I didn't include because neither were in the main series, one was live, and one was during season zero. I think this is the only game to fall into this, and i really didn't think it would honestly fall into either category, so i just made to call to leave it out. Every other live event has been involved with a previous, main series challenge (Quest Of Ki, Lemmings, Pilotwings)

Also, don't be so sure about Tama-ge just yet.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
The other Game Showcase theme by Fantastic Plastic Machine is pretty great too. So Katamari-esque!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oAyne0VeqU

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

ACID POLICE posted:

I love the Ode To Joy theme song. It's just so ridiculously bombastic for a show where a middle aged man plays Mickey Mouse games for an hour. And there are a ton of great songs on the GCCX soundtrack! And in a ton of different genres! From the Anastasia soundtrack to Tom Waits. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGFAyZtI-YM

This is going to sound silly, but because of that hearing that song at about the same time in both GCCX and Densha Otoko, I actually imported a CCB "Golden Best" album. Sooooo glad I did. It's peppy and 80s as gently caress. In fact, this show forced me to get albums by a few artists. FPM, Sweet Vacation, CCB. The GCCX soundtrack is so eclectic and... weird.

MkidTrigun posted:

Do you remember off hand which episode had Waits playing in the background? I could've swore that I heard his soothing, gravel-like voice on one of the Tame-ge segments but shrugged it off as I didn't think this show could be more awesome than it already is.

The Urawaza Jet Stream segment from season 4. You know, the gamer confessions bit where Arino made a joke about Tanii every intro.

Erwin Tuwonwon fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MkidTrigun
Jun 16, 2009

Erwin Tuwonwon posted:

And there are a ton of great songs on the GCCX soundtrack! And in a ton of different genres! From the Anastasia soundtrack to Tom Waits.

Do you remember off hand which episode had Waits playing in the background? I could've swore that I heard his soothing, gravel-like voice on one of the Tame-ge segments but shrugged it off as I didn't think this show could be more awesome than it already is.

Once the CD comes out, I may just end up grabbing that and GCCX2 for the DS at the same time. I can't justify overseas shipping just for a single item, but I could guilt myself into picking both of those up as a summer gift to myself.