Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Rutkowski posted:

I can step in as a temporary GM and make the picks until someone permament takes over if you'd want.

Warning though; I live in the Eurozone.

Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

The Los Angeles King's select Shea Weber.

Only the second defenseman taken in the draft, Weber possesses the ability to dominate in both sides of the puck and his contract will make him a King for life. Still only 27 and arguably the best defenseman in the conference.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Pens are on the clock.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
drat, I was hoping Weber would drop lower.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Weber was the third D selected :ssh: (Karlsson, Subban)

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

*giggle*

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust

Paulocaust posted:

Weber was the third D selected :ssh: (Karlsson, Subban)

Karlsson's a forward teehee.

Those were actually my top three D, and in that order. While I think Weber and a yet-to-be-picked other guy are currently better than Subban, in a salary cap league where you don't have to account for future salary increases, Subban's contract makes him far more appealing than Weber.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, I get jokes.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
Weber was the only player I gave real consideration to drafting over Ovie.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

With the sixteenth pick in the SAS NHL Fantasy Draft, the Pittsburgh Penguins are proud to select, from Sweden, goaltender Henrik Lundqvist.

We were immensely pleased and surprised that the best goalie in the world was still on the board at number sixteen. While drafting a goalie for the Penguins might seem a departure from the normal way of operating things here, we're sure that our fans will love this guy. More importantly having Lundqvist is just about a guarantee that our team will be in the playoff race. He's that good and that consistent. Give him even a modicum of support and he'll take you places. His career save percentage is 920. Career. He's also a leader in the locker room who will get on everyone's rear end if they are playing poorly. Signed for two years at a cap hit of 6,800,000, he is on the wrong side of 30 at age 31, but goalies seem to be playing excellent hockey well into their late 30's these days so I'm confident that if I can keep him happy I'll have 6, 7, 8 more years of elite play from Lundqvist. Plus, he's one suave handsome mother fucker.

I'm very surprised he fell this far. He's a guy you can build a franchise around.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 11, 2013

Dauher
Jul 22, 2007
The man from not near.
I'm legit dropping out btw, so Boston is available. Sorry, this isn't turning out to be what I thought/wanted.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
He, along with Toews and Karlsson, were the only one I considered at #5. Really good pick at #16. There's maybe only 5 or 6 guys taken so far that can have as big of an impact on a team as he does.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Dauher posted:

I'm legit dropping out btw, so Boston is available. Sorry, this isn't turning out to be what I thought/wanted.

So far it's been exactly how it's been described in the OP though sooooo?

At least Boston doesn't pick again for a while so we can keep going.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Oh well, this is a no babbies allowed fake imaginary thing anyway.

That is such a handsome dude. Solid at 16.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

He was gonna be my pick. Hmmm. I feel like this is a very tough pick now.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

It was a tough choice, but the New Jersey Devils have decided to, with the 17th pick, select Zach Parise.

ZACH PARISE, 28, F
Signed at $7.538m through 2025-26

There were a handful of players available who fit the mold of the New Jersey Devils, but Parise's exemplary work ethic, ability to log tons of ice time and play in every situation, and his commitment to a team game makes him the best pick. Zach will be the team captain and will remain a Devil until he loving dies, which is what was supposed to happen. He will lead the team's engine, both offensively and defensively.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Just when he thinks he's out, the Devils pull him back in

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Wonder who goes in the next two picks. Actually I overlooked a couple, there are a good five or six offensive guys left who should probably go soon.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I have 4/5 guys I thought might drop to 22 that I could grab who are still available, so I'm feeling pretty good.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
oh well, I'm sure there's atleast one person who cheers for the Boston Bruins on this forum who could be convinved to take over that team's draft.

I mean I guess if you're on these forums every waking minute and constantly checking the thread it's been slow going, but I think for most people this is a look at the thread once in the morning and once at night sort of deal, and there will probably be atleast a few players picked in the meantime for you to comment on. IANSS is going to send you a PM when it's your turn so you don't have to monitor the thread constantly.

Oh and Shea Weber.. I don't know about that dude. Yeah he plays tough and has a huge shot, but I think there has to be some concern that his overall possession and offensive numbers were inflated playing with another elite defender the few years and on a PP who's only focus is getting him shots at the net. That contract is also not very good for a guy approaching the 2nd half of his career. To me there's younger defencemen still left on the board, as well as veteran defencemen who are better overall players.

As for Henrik Lundqvist, I think it's really tough to predict a goaltender's performance over any sort of future term, but he's been the most consistent goaltender in the league by far over the last 5 years. I figured he would be either the first or second goaltender taken in the draft, and now that most of the elite franchise players are gone I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bit of a run on the position.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
With the 18th pick, the New York Islanders are proud to select goaltender Jonathan Quick.

This was a very tough choice, with so many good players still on the board. Ultimately it makes sense to build around a young elite goaltender who already has a history of leading an offense-starved team to an unlikely Stanley Cup. As a Senators fan, I know all too well the pain of having a strong roster with weak goaltending; I prefer the risks of the reverse. Quick is a young American goaltender locked-up long term. That could never go wrong on the Island, could it?

$5.8 million cap hit forever, 27 years old, Stanley Cup, Conn Smythe.

And there you go, three picks in under an hour, nice little run. :)

mozza fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 11, 2013

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

so what's up with that 2012-13 save percentage?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Quick is a good pick. He's struggled this year but he's coming off two great seasons. His track record is enough for me to think this season a likely anomaly. His cap hit is pretty solid for an elite goalie too.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Did not see Quick going anywhere near this early.

His track record is that he's an about average starting goalie (meaning he is still very good) who had an exceptional 2011-2012 season. He is better than he is demonstrating this year, but nowhere near as good as he was in last year's playoffs. That being said, he won a cup while playing lights out and earned that Conn Smythe. Hopefully the next few years of his career don't mirror Cam Ward's.

e: Goalie picks this early seem risky as poo poo to me. You know that PPG forwards and stalwart defensemen will still be pretty good even in bad years. With goalies though? Those careers go off the rails real quick.

Lundqvist is an exception. The guy is money. Best goalie in the league from September to April.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I'll take over a team full-time if necessary.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Thufir is a consensus picker right? I'll help there. How does it work, PMs?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

myron cope posted:

Thufir is a consensus picker right? I'll help there. How does it work, PMs?

Yep. Thufir, wanna take over Boston and myron can be consensus?

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust

Starsfan posted:

so what's up with that 2012-13 save percentage?

This year is wacky for everyone statistically, and I barely think fans should pay any mind to it, nevermind GMs attempting to construct franchises from scratch. For the record I would have picked Lundqvist ahead of Quick, but obviously didn't have the opportunity.

That first choice isn't easy. There are still two forwards I would have been ecstatic to pick at 18, and probably two defensemen as well. But I just pictured myself in the second or third round trying to choose which marginal goaltender I wanted to be my starter and it wasn't pretty.

Jordhan7hm posted:

Goalie picks this early seem risky as poo poo to me. You know that PPG forwards and stalwart defensemen will still be pretty good even in bad years. With goalies though? Those careers go off the rails real quick.
The truth is there aren't that many PPG skaters. Last year only 6 hit the 82-point mark, 7 the year before. Maybe double that for players who were ppg over 75 games. And with the exception of older players, they've mostly all been taken.

mozza fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 11, 2013

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I love Quick and Zach but those seem kinda early for the both of them. I had them pegged as second or third rounders. Quick is streaky as hell and Parise's best offensive years are probably behind him (although like Toews his defensive value I think is severely underrated).

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

i am not so sure posted:

Yep. Thufir, wanna take over Boston and myron can be consensus?

Sure!

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

T-Bone posted:

I love Quick and Zach but those seem kinda early for the both of them. I had them pegged as second or third rounders. Quick is streaky as hell and Parise's best offensive years are probably behind him (although like Toews his defensive value I think is severely underrated).

I picked him because I didn't want to risk him being gone in the second round. I'm taking him less for his stats and more for what he represents in my team and for his ability to play in all situations. Even if he's scoring 30 goals and playing incredible defense while being the captain, I couldn't pass that up. My team is going to be more defense-oriented.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust

T-Bone posted:

See these are interesting valuations. I had them both pegged for the mid-to-late teens even aside from my interest in picking. Everyone aside from Taylor Hall has gone almost exactly where I'd expect. I'm sure things will start to deviate pretty heavily soon though.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Yeah there aren't any obviously better picks I think, this is kind of a team building/personal evaluation kind of stretch.

It looks like my guy will be there, but we shall see ANAHEIM.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
These are interesting evaluations, because the defenseman I have at number two hasn't gone yet, and neither has goalies three through five.

e: For the record, Karlsson is obviously at number one, while goalies one and two are Lundqvist and Price.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 11, 2013

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust

edit: my post was a joke but I don't want to break the no-talking about unpicked players rule.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

feel the hate wooo

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

T-Bone posted:

Yeah there aren't any obviously better picks I think, this is kind of a team building/personal evaluation kind of stretch.

It looks like my guy will be there, but we shall see ANAHEIM.

I know who you're picking.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Someone with platinum PM austrianmook for his pick. That guy's always on here.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yep, most of my top 5 goalies are still on the board. The only one taken so far is Lundqvist. I had Price around 6 or 7. Love the guy, but his numbers don't show me that he's a top 5 goalie (nor do I see it when I watch him play). He is a workhorse though. It does mean you don't need to really shore up with a backup, which is a nice luxury to have.

I'm curious to see how the rest of the goalies shake out. I'm always so leery going early on them in fantasy drafts; even when I do take them early it just seems so difficult to gauge how they're valued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

I think if Parise was still on his old contract, or even a reasonable one in the 6 million dollar range like some of the other guys that have been picked in the first round, he would have been the 4th or 5th best forward available. Pretty much all of the attributes you look for in a franchise player / leader are there, but that contract is just going to be such an anchor down the line and it's tough to look past that. His offensive production is going to drop as he moves into his 30's and that will be very rough on the Wild in the long run.

• Locked thread