Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Dreadful_Dinosaur posted:

Seen AnoHana, Madoka, and Grave of the Fireflies. I didn't like Anohana, but I did enjoy Madoka and Grave of the Fireflies.

Maybe Fate/Zero or Psycho-Pass, then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreadful_Dinosaur
Feb 29, 2012

Please just close your eyes as I ruin your childhood.

Silver2195 posted:

Maybe Fate/Zero or Psycho-Pass, then?

ehh, not really interested in the Fate series and I've watched Psycho Pass. Also I wouldn't really call Fate "heart-wrenching/depressing." I'm looking for a series that is utterly hopeless. But, apart from the shows I mentioned, I don't really think anime does tragedy well, unfortunately.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You may already know this but Fate/Zero was written by the same person (Gen Urobuchi) who wrote Madoka and Psycho-Pass. So yeah it is actually pretty bleak.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

e: I'm also looking for a show that is heart-wrenching and depressing. Something that's NOT Clannad, Air, or any of those other terrible shows staffed by Key. The show I'm looking for is more along the lines of Shadow Star or Now and Then, Here and there, which are two of my favourite manga and anime, respectively.

Bokurano. I've only read the manga though, and apparently the anime makes some changes that seem off to me, so I'm really only recommending the manga.

It's also by the same author as Shadow Star.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Cake Attack posted:

Bokurano. I've only read the manga though, and apparently the anime makes some changes that seem off to me, so I'm really only recommending the manga.

Bokurano manga - A+
Bokurano anime - C-
Bokurano anime OP - :allears:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

e: I'm also looking for a show that is heart-wrenching and depressing. Something that's NOT Clannad, Air, or any of those other terrible shows staffed by Key. The show I'm looking for is more along the lines of Shadow Star or Now and Then, Here and there, which are two of my favourite manga and anime, respectively.

If you're only looking for depressing there's always Saikano; I hated it and thought it was nothing but unrelenting miserablism, but I tend to be a much harsher critic of tragedy than comedy.

If you want tragedy in the more traditional sense (protagonists with actual agency, brought down by their own mistakes and failings) then yeah, anime at large sucks at tragedy.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 11, 2013

Dreadful_Dinosaur
Feb 29, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

It's also by the same author as Shadow Star.

Yep, I was aware of it just haven't gotten to reading it yet.

quote:

You may already know this but Fate/Zero was written by the same person (Gen Urobuchi) who wrote Madoka and Psycho-Pass. So yeah it is actually pretty bleak.

I was indeed aware of this....the Fate universe as a whole does not appeal to me. And, though I liked Madoka and thought Psycho-Pass was above average, I'm not sure I like Urobuchi as a director.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

I was indeed aware of this....the Fate universe as a whole does not appeal to me.

The correct term is Nasuverse. :colbert:

Dreadful_Dinosaur
Feb 29, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If you're only looking for depressing there's always Saikano; I hated it and thought it was nothing but unrelenting miserablism, but I tend to be a much harsher critic of tragedy than comedy.

Thanks, I'll check it out. I need something to read in between Oyasumi Punpun updates, anyways.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I feel like I might have something wrong with me because I just can't make myself like Grave of the Fireflies. I like almost everything about it, but there's something about the way the characters are written that makes me totally unable to feel sympathy for them which makes the tragic story bereft of any emotional impact.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

RabidWeasel posted:

I feel like I might have something wrong with me because I just can't make myself like Grave of the Fireflies. I like almost everything about it, but there's something about the way the characters are written that makes me totally unable to feel sympathy for them which makes the tragic story bereft of any emotional impact.

Congrats you lack the basic human emotion "empathy"

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

RabidWeasel posted:

You need to see a therapist or something, Grave of the Fireflies is the saddest movie ever.

Dreadful_Dinosaur
Feb 29, 2012

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

You need to see a therapist or something, Grave of the Fireflies is the saddest movie ever.

Agreed. poo poo made me cry, and I don't cry easily.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Watch Saikano if you haven't, it's pretty much the most depressing thing in existence.

Edit: Whoops, didn't see there was a whole other page.

Space Runaway Ideon is pretty depressing, but that's a 39 episodes + two movies mecha show with early 80's animation, so it's not exactly a casual watch.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Apr 12, 2013

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

No. Disregard my first post entirely. I'm looking for an entirely different set of shows to get in on. No broken people. Just happiness as far as the eye can see.

vvvvv Are you joking with me? I've been told by the anime fans I know never to watch K-on. Something about creepy fans?

I know you don't want broken now, but broken/happiness works really well in Hyokua, and it's really great.

Haruhi Suzumiya as well.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
I'm a huge fuckass who likes boring teen drama apparently.

I just read through Lament of the Lamb and thought it was pretty dang powerful even though the epilogue totally blew. It was also nice that it played on themes found in horror while not really being in the genre at all. I've read that the anime took on a darker, bleaker tone and I might check that out, even if I think the change in tone is unnecessary.

Anything like this?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I like shounen and senien manga/anime where people get their rear end beat into the pavement, and could care less about plot.

I enjoy fighting and HEROIC WILLPOWER in these.

Series I am currently reading/watching: The Breaker: New Waves, HSDK, One Piece, Assassination Classroom, Onepunch Man, Claymore, and Beezlebub

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

I like shounen and senien manga/anime where people get their rear end beat into the pavement, and could care less about plot.

Series I am currently reading/watching: The Breaker: New Waves, HSDK, One Piece, Assassination Classroom, Onepunch Man, Claymore, and Beezlebub

Try Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I'm looking for something with... interesting characters (and a focus on them). My two favorite shows are probably Steins;Gate and Bodacious Space Pirates; they're different in tone, but they both have a focus on the cast rather than the plot machinations, for the most part.

I hope this isn't too vague?

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Cityinthesea posted:

I'm looking for something with... interesting characters (and a focus on them).

Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Bakemonogatari, Spice and Wolf.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Cityinthesea posted:

I'm looking for something with... interesting characters (and a focus on them). My two favorite shows are probably Steins;Gate and Bodacious Space Pirates; they're different in tone, but they both have a focus on the cast rather than the plot machinations, for the most part.

I hope this isn't too vague?

Space Bros which is currently airing (and still ongoing at 50+ episodes)

Black Lagoon if you want something with some action mixed in

and I really think FLAG is a must watch if you can get past the shaky-cam type effect.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Silver2195 posted:

Try Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

The anime or the manga my best bet for enjoying it?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

KittyEmpress posted:

The anime or the manga my best bet for enjoying it?

Manga suffers from translations being a little uneven until at least the fifth part, but it's pretty good.

David Productions, the studio responsible for the anime, really knocked it out of the goddamn park with the adaptation for parts 1 and 2 so far. My recommendation would be thus: Read the manga if you don't mind translations spotty at places and then watch the anime.

Crap! You're right. It's the Sixth Part where they start getting coherent. Translation-wise, of course. :haw:
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 14, 2013

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Manga suffers from translations being a little uneven until at least the fifth part, but it's pretty good.

The fifth part's translation was actually one of the worst (along with the fourth part's). I believe there are better translations for both of them now, though.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

KittyEmpress posted:

I suppose it goes without saying that you've already seen Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann... also, since you mentioned Claymore it seems obvious to recommend Berserk if you haven't read/seen it (read it. the anime is great but it just sorta stops.)

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

KittyEmpress posted:

The new Hunter X Hunter is right up your alley.

Some other stuff you should check out is Air Master, Bakuen Campus Guardress, Battle Royal High School, Hokuto no Ken/Fist of the North Star, Hurricane Polymar OVA, Kite, Agent Aika, Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer, Variable Geo, Shootfighter Tekken and Natsuki Crisis.

From the Hurricane Polymar OVA.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Guyver posted:

The new Hunter X Hunter is right up your alley.

Some other stuff you should check out is Air Master, Bakuen Campus Guardress, Battle Royal High School, Hokuto no Ken/Fist of the North Star, Hurricane Polymar OVA, Kite, Agent Aika, Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer, Variable Geo, Shootfighter Tekken and Natsuki Crisis.

From the Hurricane Polymar OVA.

Hunter x Hunter is good, but not really what he's asking for (it has a plot that actually matters, for one thing). Something like Fairy Tail might be closer to what he wants.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Silver2195 posted:

Something like Fairy Tail might be closer to what he wants.

The best thing about Fairy Tail is how little it cares about it's overarching plot. It's basically badass kung fu wizards doing badass things.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Silver2195 posted:

Hunter x Hunter is good, but not really what he's asking for (it has a plot that actually matters, for one thing). Something like Fairy Tail might be closer to what he wants.

Oh, it's not that I mind plot. I mean, One Piece sorta has a plot. I just meant that in a 'feel free to recommend anime with an absolutely atrocious plot, if it has cool fights.' sort of way. I'm gonna go look up those various anime/manga, likely starting with Jojo (the anime, because bad translation bugs me)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

Oh, it's not that I mind plot. I mean, One Piece sorta has a plot. I just meant that in a 'feel free to recommend anime with an absolutely atrocious plot, if it has cool fights.' sort of way. I'm gonna go look up those various anime/manga, likely starting with Jojo (the anime, because bad translation bugs me)

There should be good translations available somewhere for all the manga parts by now, though.

Incidentally, there were several different groups subbing the anime. GG's subs are the most controversial; they use a lot of alliteration, British slang, and other goofy stuff. Nutbladder was generally the fastest to sub new episodes; they're generally good but have occasional awkward lines. Buddy Waters, Muda Muda Muda, and Commie Subs are generally considered consistently good.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.
Is there a recommended way to get into the Fate series? I've heard the first anime wasn't as good as the VN, but I dunno if I want to have to replay a VN 6 times to get the good ending or however that works.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

ShardPhoenix posted:

Is there a recommended way to get into the Fate series? I've heard the first anime wasn't as good as the VN, but I dunno if I want to have to replay a VN 6 times to get the good ending or however that works.

You should really just play it. There's 3 routes, and events change significantly enough between them that it isn't samey at all. Even if you watched the adaptions, only 2/3 of the routes are represented so there's still plot points in Fate/Zero you wouldn't quite get.

MaxiCalifornia
Feb 7, 2010

KittyEmpress posted:

I've watched/read and enjoyed all the ones you've stated here so here are few shounen-y things that I've enjoyed:

Gonna throw another recommendation to the new Hunter x Hunter. I find the plot interesting, and really enjoyed how comprehensive their battle system works (They introduce it after a few arcs, but it's basically a form of chi/ki).

If you haven't read it, Veritas has action similar to The Breaker: New Waves. Unfortunately the manhwa ended prematurely due to a disagreement between the writer and the artist.

Tower of God is another manhwa that might be up your alley, but I found their chi/ki system a bit complicated. There's also a lot of lore that isn't really in the manhwa, so I would definitely read the author's notes and maybe check out the wiki while you read it.

Noblesse is a manhwa kind of like Onepunch Man where you have a ridiculously overpowered protagonist. However, there's a lot of stuff in-between fights that you might not care about (I didn't really, but kept up with it for some reason). This one's a more tentative suggestion.

Gamaran is pretty much 90% fighting and 10% plot. I can think of only 1 brief training arc, but the protagonist trains mainly by fighting. It has a tendency of introducing a character that is extremely badass, but wounds up dead after a few chapters.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ShardPhoenix posted:

To further what Blhue said, despite being very long FSN is structured in a very intelligent way. The three routes are designed to be unlocked and played linearly, so they thematically flow into each other and make it feel like you are actually progressing characterization-wise rather than resetting each time. And any time you do start over, the scene skip function is incredibly robust and will allow you to get to any one point you've already been in a few minutes. And the translation patch comes with a very thorough walkthrough for tracking down any one ending or bad end (you'll want to get all of them, and will probably get most of them naturally).

Conversely, you could just watch Fate/Zero, which is certainly enjoyable in its own right. I think most people would agree though you'll get a bit more out of it if you've finished FSN. But above all, avoid all other Fate anime adaptions. I'm not saying you necessarily have to play the VN, but it's all or nothing. Do not waste your time with the DEEN series and movie.

Plastic Mick
Feb 12, 2013

Stuck in the 80s
This isn't a request for a recommendation so much as advice for watching LotGH.
I've watched a bit of it now, and while I love the characters/story/strategy the battle scenes give me flicker vertigo like nothing else.
I even ended up vomming because I tried to push through it too hard. :barf:

Is there a way around this, or any similar-but-just-as-good shows I can watch that won't make me flop around on the floor like I'm about to turn into a gyarados?

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.
Ok, thanks for the advice on Fate. I'll try the VN at some point - maybe next season since I'm watching 4 ongoing animes at the moment not to mention Game of Thrones and Doctor Who and LOGH.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ShardPhoenix posted:

Ok, thanks for the advice on Fate. I'll try the VN at some point - maybe next season since I'm watching 4 ongoing animes at the moment not to mention Game of Thrones and Doctor Who and LOGH.

Alternatively: http://lparchive.org/Fatestay-night/

Wokrider
Dec 4, 2012
Looking for some recommendations. I am looking for something like lovely complex, light hearted romance.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Wokrider posted:

Looking for some recommendations. I am looking for something like lovely complex, light hearted romance.

Kamisama Kiss, Kimi ni Todoke, and/or Toradora! might be just what you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wokrider
Dec 4, 2012
Thanks I'll check them out.

• Locked thread