Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

I tried renting the Ranger helmet for a day. Is the HRV recharge stat also associated with how fast you can turn on/off HRV? It sure seems like it, which is a huge advantage.

Yes, every time you turn off HRV, it always drains down to a minimum of 75%, recharging from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

If by "how fast you can turn it on/off" you mean the animation for activating it - the one where you lift your fingers to your temple - then no, it's not affected by any stats.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I quite liked this game when it first launched but I suffered from connection issues due to my a ISP not liking their servers for some reason. Seeing the new thread and that there had been a new update I thought I'd give it another whirl and seems the issue is fixed. Games still appears to be excellent too. Glad it still has life.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Kaiyoko posted:

I'll take it off your hands if the offer is still there. In-game name is Kaiyoko and I can be back online in 10 minutes.

I remember playing this a lot back in beta and seeing lots of variety in modes. Coming back recently though, I see mostly TDM for West-servers but on East I see a different story. Is this about right?

I want to give Troika a chance to claim it since they asked for one earlier. If they don't it's all yours.

Morshu
Sep 30, 2009

Attack monkey! Monkey attack!
Since people seem to be giving out spare TSMGs to other goons I'd figure that I'd ask if anyone has a spare HAR? I'll give some GP for it too as long as I can send that without funbux.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I want to give Troika a chance to claim it since they asked for one earlier. If they don't it's all yours.

In on this.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Got the TSMG, thanks :)

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Double XP week incoming.

quote:

Start time: 3 PM PDT, Monday 4/8
End time: 9 AM PDT, Monday 4/15

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
After dinking with the TSMG a bit, I've determined that while it has really low damage, the RoF and accuracy mean it's ideal for popping people's heads off.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Lima posted:

Double XP week incoming.

Does this include double GP as well?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Nope just XP :(

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
The double XP is really nice, though. I think leveling is a bit too slow normally, but this is just a joy to behold.

I just permed the heal injector and holy poo poo is it a gamechanger. Being able to heal is incredibly useful and took me from bottom third of the scoreboards to top three. It's what I recommend to everyone, even though it's so drat expensive.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I wanted to show off just a tiny bit. I love being called a hacker.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
They need a title called "Dunning Kruger Rules". Unlock requisites? Say that your team sucks while bottom-scoring in 50 different games, or spend 5 games trying to convince everyone the top player on the other team is a hacker.

Then make it permanently equipped after unlocking. :getin:

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Xenaero posted:

I wanted to show off just a tiny bit. I love being called a hacker.

That is impressive! Standard Tactical Knight, folks! Best gun in the game. So pay to win! :v:

Seriously though, great work!

miscellaneous14 posted:

They need a title called "Dunning Kruger Rules". :getin:

I'd wear that title!

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 9, 2013

Azzanadra
Jun 18, 2008

The Light is the power of Dance

To be honest, i'd say any goon with a microphone already qualifies :v:

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Mr.Citrus posted:

...my inability to get orange hardsuit camo...

Still looking? Let me know and it's yours.

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 10, 2013

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Market update :toot:, there's a (closed) 2x IR scope for those who wanted more :catdrugs:

Also two new barrels, but they're just small -accuracy +runspeed tweaks on the Lightsky Raider and GX3 Heavy respectively. No front sights though, so rejoice open scopers! (Also they're not stupidly overpriced like the AK parts)

Oh, and remember the hourly "40 jumps" mission that had everyone acting (more) like a retard? It's been replaced by a practically-guaranteed "Deal 4000 damage" hourly mission, so Mission Chance Packs for everyone by playing naturally!...

...and a hourly "Do 10 taunts with the Shurikens", so the :downs: will be alive and well too.

Azzanadra
Jun 18, 2008

Actually the bunny hopping mission is still there. Whoops, good job Zombie. Although to be fair, the taunt one seems to just be while holding the weapon, so you can kill a guy then switch to them and do a quick taunt, I think. I'm not about to try out the stun stars myself

Also that 2x IR scope is too loving good. Absolute game changer for me.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Azzanadra posted:

Actually the bunny hopping mission is still there. Whoops, good job Zombie. Although to be fair, the taunt one seems to just be while holding the weapon, so you can kill a guy then switch to them and do a quick taunt, I think. I'm not about to try out the stun stars myself

Also that 2x IR scope is too loving good. Absolute game changer for me.

It's piss poor for anything that needs to tap fire like the AK/HAR, however, it is a must own for anyone that loves AR/SMG style receivers. Like Azzanadra put it, it's a game changer. It's a monster on the M4X and TSMG!

E: The new barrels look cool but their stats do not impress me at all. The speed boosts don’t compensate for the accuracy drops. Maybe it’ll work on a max dmg AR or SMG on HeloDeck using a 180 HP build but I’m not about to throw time and energy at testing it. Well, maybe that’s not true. I have been known to throw all of the above at stupider ideas than this. It’s kind of the charm of this game.

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 10, 2013

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Still looking? Let me know and it's yours.

Omg yes I am, I just haven't had time to play recently. Only thing I've done in the past week was mailing out those tsmgs.

Edit: Switchblade, I promise to not gimmick hunt you down with a katana in any more games ever if you allow me the honor of glowing bright orange while I tsmg people in the face.

Mr.Citrus fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 10, 2013

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Mr.Citrus posted:

Omg yes I am, I just haven't had time to play recently. Only thing I've done in the past week was mailing out those tsmgs.

Edit: Switchblade, I promise to not gimmick hunt you down with a katana in any more games ever if you allow me the honor of glowing bright orange while I tsmg people in the face.

Sent:

Orange bros!

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 11, 2013

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
Man, I am just completely useless with anything but the AK. Even the AR feels harder to use. The recoil is just less manageable, somehow. I hope it's GP permable soon, although the premade with an astro tag is pretty cool already.
edit: also, do proxy mines kill people or does everyone pop them after catching them in HRV? Like on a scale of novelty to useable, where is it?

WAMPA_STOMPA fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 11, 2013

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

AK will probably stay Zen only for quite some time. The AR is more about tap burst firing to manage recoil versus pulling your mouse to compensate like some of the other receivers. Practice only shooting off 3-4 round bursts and over time you will see why it is still one of the best guns in the game.

Proxy mines are awesome and have probably around a 70% kill rate in pub games. They also get the most OP rage. As you play you will find spots on each map where you can stick them for an even higher success rate. Personally if I see them on HRV then I will try to take them out.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Geekslinger posted:

AK will probably stay Zen only for quite some time. The AR is more about tap burst firing to manage recoil versus pulling your mouse to compensate like some of the other receivers. Practice only shooting off 3-4 round bursts and over time you will see why it is still one of the best guns in the game.

Proxy mines are awesome and have probably around a 70% kill rate in pub games. They also get the most OP rage. As you play you will find spots on each map where you can stick them for an even higher success rate. Personally if I see them on HRV then I will try to take them out.

I love prox mines :getin:

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
I feel like there's certain spots where people are unlikely to use HRV, like right on a depot, and other spots where the terrain and walls make the mine a little hard to spot. Like around some corners, the wall material in HRV is dark enough to hide the proxy a little. There's so much I want to perm, though. AK, TSMG, a decent scope (I rented the CONS ELO, and I like it, but the closed scope paradigm is kind of annoying- I like to ADS a lot and I hate having my view cut off), a better helmet, a stunning weapon... need to grind mission packs, I guess? Doesn't help that I keep blowing my GP on the 200 GP chance pack for the perm TSMG chance.
edit: I really think I would like daily gameplay more if there were better dedicated servers. Like I would play an All KC all day, and I really like DOM too, but stuff like DM or HeloDeck TDM are just not that great. It's either goofy spawns or gametypes that can be dominated by good snipers all the time. I like KC because it forces you to move to win, and DOM is good because I like how you don't really have quite enough of a team to hold all 3 points well, so again, it's pretty dynamic. S+D is good too, although it can take a while.

WAMPA_STOMPA fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 12, 2013

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

I feel like there's certain spots where people are unlikely to use HRV, like right on a depot, and other spots where the terrain and walls make the mine a little hard to spot. Like around some corners, the wall material in HRV is dark enough to hide the proxy a little. There's so much I want to perm, though. AK, TSMG, a decent scope (I rented the CONS ELO, and I like it, but the closed scope paradigm is kind of annoying- I like to ADS a lot and I hate having my view cut off), a better helmet, a stunning weapon... need to grind mission packs, I guess? Doesn't help that I keep blowing my GP on the 200 GP chance pack for the perm TSMG chance.
edit: I really think I would like daily gameplay more if there were better dedicated servers. Like I would play an All KC all day, and I really like DOM too, but stuff like DM or HeloDeck TDM are just not that great. It's either goofy spawns or gametypes that can be dominated by good snipers all the time. I like KC because it forces you to move to win, and DOM is good because I like how you don't really have quite enough of a team to hold all 3 points well, so again, it's pretty dynamic. S+D is good too, although it can take a while.

Those servers exist. They have 24/7 KC servers they are just full. They just need more dedicated servers because it's a pain in the rear end getting into none TDM matches.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I saw a server in the list with HRV turned off. Do people actually play like that? :psyduck:

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

miscellaneous14 posted:

I saw a server in the list with HRV turned off. Do people actually play like that? :psyduck:

I guess the poor saps who foolishly permed a Cloak plays on those :smug:

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
I have seen a few KC servers up occasionally, but usually the vast majority of servers in a sane ping range are TDM, DM, OS, or "All Map." I don't know if Perfect World's servers just go up and down randomly or they only have a few running at any given time or what, but I feel like I often have to settle.

Geschwafel
May 10, 2006

Frank sent me.
Prox mines are so, so good. If I could carry them in all my loadout slots, I would. I like to pull them out in firefights, because they explode on contact. Shootout, the other guy is reloading? Discus your mine at him and watch him rage! Gotta be careful with that, though, cause they'll blow up in your face. Even just throwing them on the ground during some action is good because they're hard to notice in the thick of things, and no one is going to risk popping the HRV when there are bullets flying.

Putting them on stairs is good, cause most people are paying more attention to what's around corners, and they're usually hard to see and pop/if seen they're hard to escape. Putting them at the tops of elevators and stairs can be useful, cause they're pretty much inescapable a that point; elevator pops up or they make it to the top of the stairs, it's too late, guy has nowhere to run.

They're useful to hide on flags in CTF, especially the enemy's flag, cause they wont think to look at it, and as they run in trying to return your flag, they get blowed up. Even on your own flag, they're a bit hard to see through the HRV flag icon. There are spots on maps that are popular to jump onto (Vertigo, Offshore), those are good to mine for the same reason, they're already in the air, they'll probably land on the mine too late to avoid it. Laying them on depots is a bit cliche and easy to spot, I think.

I love prox mines.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I kinda wish they kept double XP rates all the time, it feels like such a grind to get to 40. The late 20 levels feel like they take forever to get through as it is, and I'm sure the 30s are worse.

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:

Xenaero posted:

I kinda wish they kept double XP rates all the time, it feels like such a grind to get to 40. The late 20 levels feel like they take forever to get through as it is, and I'm sure the 30s are worse.

I personally never found the XP to be too grindy. I've always been short on GP however.

If you want to trade any xp tokens or boosts I've got a 7 day 10% boost from my vet pack, and countless 5, 3, 2, and 1k xp tokens.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Azzanadra and I made music videos today.

But then things got a little weird. Um.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Just drop proxmines on spawnpoints. Not only are they impossible to avoid if you spawn on top of them, they generate even more rage.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

-Troika- posted:

Just drop proxmines on spawnpoints. Not only are they impossible to avoid if you spawn on top of them, they generate even more rage.

I put them just outside of the spawn point so that it goes off right as spawn immunity wares off. Yes, I'm that kind of rear end in a top hat. :dukedog:

For example, on HeloDeck when I spawn behind the boxes in the hanger with the giant scorpion tank I will put my prox mine under the rack of tank rounds that sits just to the left of the spawn point. You can sling it just under the tip of one and it’ll murder the first person to spawn and go left. When I spawn in the hanger with the helicopter I will drop my prox mine inside the back most wheel of the trailer you spawn behind. It fits perfectly and looks just like a hubcap! That doesn't make it more deadly, just something that amuses me I felt like pointing out.

There are a lot of great spots like that on various maps that I employ regularly. I find them through experimentation and paying attention to what path people take when they first spawn.

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 12, 2013

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

miscellaneous14 posted:

I accidentally joined one without realizing it once. I thought poo poo was broken until I saw it was no HRV. Not wanting to drop mid-round I played anyway. Knowing it was disabled never once kept me from hitting 'v' every thirty seconds. It was awful.

Azzanadra
Jun 18, 2008

Yes, how DARE this game have a unique feature that makes it different from other games, I shall remove this from my server!

:eng99:

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I accidentally joined one without realizing it once. I thought poo poo was broken until I saw it was no HRV. Not wanting to drop mid-round I played anyway. Knowing it was disabled never once kept me from hitting 'v' every thirty seconds. It was awful.

I can't stand that poo poo either. HRV is one of the things that make BLR stand out from other generic shooters. There are so many asshats that drive me up the wall trying to "fix" the game by imposing this kind of bullshit. I'm seriously waiting for the day Zombie decides to drop server mutators that force people to only use level 1 parts and the following cheers of joy from the :furcry: over at the official forums.

E:

You two just made my god drat morning.

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
"This game is almost perfect. But you know what would make it completely perfect? If it were *exactly* like CS. I shall find a combination of mods that makes it be like CS. At no point will I just give up and play CS because CS is, like, *old*, man."

• Locked thread