Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ponsonby Britt posted:

Marriage equality in Nevada is barred by a constitutional amendment. To reverse this, both houses of the Legislature (but NOT the Governor) have to agree to a repeal amendment, in both the 2013 session and the 2015 session. After that, 50% +1 of the 2016 electorate has to approve the amendment.

Today the first step in this process happened - the Senate Elections Committee passed the bill. The Senate and Assembly are both expected to approve the amendment this year - the Democrats control both chambers, and even some prominent Republicans are saying that they personally oppose gay marriage, but believe that the state shouldn't block equal rights. The Governor is anti-marriage equality... but he's not relevant to this process, and his opinion is unlikely to sway votes.

A majority of Nevada voters are already pro-marriage equality - I think it had 53% support in the last poll. This is only going to get higher by 2016, and that's a Presidential year so the electorate will be relatively young. The only real obstacle between Nevada and gay marriage is the 2014 elections - Republicans might take over the State Senate, and while some Republicans are going to vote for this bill, there's no guarantee that the chair of the Elections Committee will be one of those. But assuming 2014 goes well... gay marriage for Nevada! (in three years)

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2013/apr/11/nevada-senate-committee-approves-resolution-gay-ma/

If this coincides with SCOTUS ruling that you can ban gay marriages but have to allow outside licenses then Vegas will get its holiday marriage reputation back too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Nevada should have marriage before the 2014 election anyway, as long as Kennedy isn't a jerk.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sevcik_v._Sandoval

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

katium posted:

More details on the Missouri hospital arrest: http://americablog.com/2013/04/interview-daughter-gay-man-handcuffed-husbands-hospital-bed.html

That hospital needs to be sued for every loving penny it has.

How terrible. That's like a nightmare scenario for me.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Nevada should have marriage before the 2014 election anyway, as long as Kennedy isn't a jerk.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sevcik_v._Sandoval

Seems like the judge presiding over that case went out of his way to make the case that Nevada's constitution was fine. The only part of his ruling (at least, according to the Wikipedia review of it (yeah, yeah, but I'm not a lawyer)) that seems remotely unique was his insistence that the government had a vested interest in heterosexual marriages for the purposes of child-having and child-rearing. He also claimed that SSM was certainly a rational basis issue (sexual orientation) rather than an intermediate scrutiny issue (gender), in opposition to what I've seen advocated as a route for the Supreme Court to take.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

As expected, the French Senate granted final approval to marriage equality legislation today by a show-of-hands vote. The National Assembly must hold another vote in May to review some minor amendments that were made in the Senate, but given the bill originally passed there by a 100-vote margin, the extra vote poses no real threat to passage. Same-sex marriage will become law a few months from now, making France the 13th country to legalize it. Uruguay became the 12th a few days ago.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Huh. Looks like the Mormon church is feeling the strain of losing membership and decreased youth activity stemming from their anti-gay policies. Mother Jones has an article.

Mother Jones posted:

The church has worked with the Family Acceptance Project at San Francisco State University to craft an educational booklet aimed specifically at helping Mormons parent their gay kids, to keep them safe at home and to prevent suicide. It's a remarkably humane document instructing church members on how to embrace their gay kids even when they're uncomfortable with their purple hair and transgendered friends. The pamphlet is now being used in lots of Mormon wards. Meanwhile, in Salt Lake City, where the church is headquartered, the church has teamed up with the LGBT community to open a shelter for young homeless people there, about 40 percent of whom are known to be LGBT.

Prop 8 was a galvanizing force that gave me the push needed to leave the church about two years ago since I could not reconcile being a good person and being told to be a bigoted rear end in a top hat from leadership. Whereas I am pleased that the church is toning down the hellfire damnation, my experiences lead me to believe that this is a cynical PR and business decision at heart. The church lost 10k of obligatory tithe from me when I left. Lots of other young people are leaving in droves. Children in the church aren't scared of gay people and ask why the church tries to codify bigotry into the law when the easier answer would be live, let live, let god sort it out. All these things are compounding to cause serious financial implications for the organization- not to mention when young people start questioning leadership it becomes much easier to begin more and more critical analysis, leading to even more attrition.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I'm always puzzled by the phrase obligatory tithe. The Mormon Church has membership dues?

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

katium posted:

More details on the Missouri hospital arrest: http://americablog.com/2013/04/interview-daughter-gay-man-handcuffed-husbands-hospital-bed.html

That hospital needs to be sued for every loving penny it has.

I think in these cases they should use the police officers' names. It's on public record anyways, anyone who seriously wanted to find out could do so. But the whole wearing gloves because of 'icky gays' things is definitely deserving of public shaming

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I'm always puzzled by the phrase obligatory tithe. The Mormon Church has membership dues?

Yeah, though they won't call it that. To get the highest degree of heaven you have to live a sufficiently righteous and obedient life, participate in temple ceremonies, etc. A requirement to enter the temple is to have a temple recommend issued by your bishop after a probing interview in which, among other things, you attest to paying a full and honest tithe. So no tithe, no recommend, no highest degree of celestial glory.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Yeah it's not as bad as some evangelical churches where they keep your W2 on file, but stake bishops have an interview thing where they press about your finances as part of the temple recommend process.

kenlyric
Nov 16, 2012

watt par posted:

Yeah it's not as bad as some evangelical churches where they keep your W2 on file, but stake bishops have an interview thing where they press about your finances as part of the temple recommend process.

Because in Mormonism making money is part of your Devotion, and being poor means you just don't believe enough yet.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

kenlyric posted:

Because in Mormonism making money is part of your Devotion, and being poor means you just don't believe enough yet.

Unironically this. God opens the windows of heaven and pours blessings upon you if you are obedient, punishes you to humble you if you are not. It is Just World and Prosperity Gospel dialed to 11. I entertained leaving the church two years earlier than I did but I was scared that I may be wrong about the church and god would punish me by making me lose my job and I wouldn't be able to provide for my family or some poo poo like that. :saddowns: It seems ridiculous in retrospect, but when you are told your whole life these things by those that love you and protect you from infancy certain things take a while to deprogram.

Incidentally, after leaving the church I have received several salary increases, not to mention my self-imposed 10% raise. :toot:

EDIT: But this is starting to turn into a "how and why we leave the mormon church" derail so more mandatory forced gay marriage please.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Sweeney Tom posted:

As expected, the French Senate granted final approval to marriage equality legislation today by a show-of-hands vote. The National Assembly must hold another vote in May to review some minor amendments that were made in the Senate, but given the bill originally passed there by a 100-vote margin, the extra vote poses no real threat to passage. Same-sex marriage will become law a few months from now, making France the 13th country to legalize it. Uruguay became the 12th a few days ago.

Some dumbass politician called for a civil war on twitter

Christine Boutin, leader of the Christian Democrat Party (a small party thankfully)

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 12, 2013

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Something tells me that this brave Christian warrior will poo poo her pants the second someneone points a gun at her.

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
And now, an interview with marked scum-fucker Bill Donohue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr0BFezu9dE

Highlights from the interview: When asked about his hypocrisy in regards to Leviticus, namely eating pork and wearing mixed fiber clothing, "I think there's a little bit of difference between what kind of shirt I buy and two guys having anal sex." Nothing gets past this guy!
He dismisses claims of molestation by priest, with these choice words... :stare: "Grabbing some kid's rear end is rape?" Interviewer: "No, putting your penis in a kid's mouth is rape."

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

seriously, gently caress Bill Donahue

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

staticman posted:

Highlights from the interview: When asked about his hypocrisy in regards to Leviticus, namely eating pork and wearing mixed fiber clothing, "I think there's a little bit of difference between what kind of shirt I buy and two guys having anal sex." Nothing gets past this guy!

Go on, explain what the difference is Bill. :allears: Preferably without using the words 'icky' or 'ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww'.

EBT
Oct 29, 2005

by Ralp

staticman posted:

No Bill your god is gonna drat you to hell just as fast for your mixed shirts, tilled corners, and pork, as you think he would me for being queer.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

EBT posted:

No Bill your god is gonna drat you to hell just as fast for your mixed shirts, tilled corners, and pork, as you think he would me for being queer.

Seriously, most denominations are pretty clear that one sin lands you in just as much trouble with God as another. All sin equally bars you from heaven. So if one rule in Leviticus applies then they all do.

Hang on, I think Martin Sheen can say this better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1-ip47WYWc

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

Some dumbass politician called for a civil war on twitter

Christine Boutin, leader of the Christian Democrat Party (a small party thankfully)

Join the club man. :911::hf::france:

Gen. Ripper fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 13, 2013

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

paragon1 posted:

Seriously, most denominations are pretty clear that one sin lands you in just as much trouble with God as another. All sin equally bars you from heaven. So if one rule in Leviticus applies then they all do.

Hang on, I think Martin Sheen can say this better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1-ip47WYWc

No sin bars you from heaven - that's kinda the point. The rest of your post is naturally valid.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

paragon1 posted:

I'm really happy that clip included Rob Lowe's taking her crab puff line.

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
Guess what? One of Dave Agema's sources for his unforgivable Facebook post is a White Supremacist who's been active since the 1940's. :godwinning:

quote:

“Edward Fields has been active in white supremacist and anti-Semitic groups since he was a teenager in the late 1940s ... Fields was a significant force in the racist world ...”

“In 1991 he organized a Klan rally in Montgomery, Alabama, along with Thom Robb of the Knights of the KKK.”

“In February 2001 he attended the funeral of Byron de la Beckwith, murderer of civil rights activist Medgar Evers ...”

staticman fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 13, 2013

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Ireland's Constitutional Convention voted overwhelmingly (79 out of 100) in favor of holding a referendum on legalizing marriage equality. 81 voted in favor of of enacting laws to give appropriate protections to same-sex parents of children, and 78 voted in favor of enacting the laws throughout Ireland, rather than state-by-state. The government now has 4 months to respond on the matter. There is a better chance than not that, by the end of summer, the UK, France, and Ireland all legalize marriage equality.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Isn't abortion completely outlawed in Ireland? It seems strange for them to be so progressive on this.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Isn't abortion completely outlawed in Ireland? It seems strange for them to be so progressive on this.

They legalized abortion but didn't remove the legal penalties for performing an abortion and haven't licensed anyone to do it, so it's defacto illegal (but not completely outlawed).

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

The polling numbers and demographics for abortion are much more static than the wild progressive swing on marriage equality.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
It's probably going to put an increased amount of pressure on Stormont to legislate for equal marriage, as it would otherwise mean that a lot of Northern Irish couples will be making trips to either Liverpool or Dundalk.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

TinTower posted:

It's probably going to put an increased amount of pressure on Stormont to legislate for equal marriage, as it would otherwise mean that a lot of Northern Irish couples will be making trips to either Liverpool or Dundalk.
Stormfront is based in Northern Ireland? I just remember hilarious religion threads there where Odinists poo poo on the Christians for worshiping a Jew and a flame war about racial purity (one of them followed the 1 drop rule, the other was talking about how the bible said a sin only passed on till the 7th generation).

What do white supremacists believe in regards to marriage equality anyways?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Stormont is the Irish capitol.

Stormfront is socially conservative in general but there are some outliers.

quote:

The only thing a white nationalist should have against homosexuality is that homosexual couples generally do not reproduce and pass on their white genes, thus indirectly contributing to the white genocide.

quote:

Most evil sins will then be acceptable. This comes wth democracy. We need a Nationalsitic-Monarchistic-Theological political platform to defeat this decaying concept called Democracy.

quote:

If the queers begin adopting African negro babies, I will flat-out, smooth, spastic fit explode.
:allears:

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Stormont is the Irish capitol.

Stormont is where the Northern Irish government is based. It's an estate outside of Belfast.

The capitol of the Republic of Ireland is in Dublin.

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
Time for always more, always worse!

Because a story from 2000 loving SIX was WAY more important than the loving massacre happening in Boston! The Tweet was deleted less than an hour after receiving numerous rage induced responses.

More:

This is how WND describes the Meningitis outbreak happening in the gay community:

quote:

“Gay” sex is becoming even more dangerous. Health officials are warning sexually active “gay” men about an outbreak of potentially deadly bacterial meningitis in Los Angeles and New York. The disease has infected 22 people in New York and caused seven deaths since 2010. Health officials in Los Angeles are testing to see if the strain infecting “gay” men there is the same one hitting New York. The AIDS Healthcare Foundation began offering free meningitis vaccines today after a “gay” man from West Hollywood was declared brain dead on Friday.

The ever-so-Christlike commenters flood the website to express their joy. One suggesting gay men should "go cough on Obozo." Another: "I can hope that our gay president might be already exposed."

The desperation of the right is ONLY matched by their savagery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5H7FNGk4SQ

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Why do they put gay in quotes?

I'm sure it's for some horrible reason.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

It's scare quotes. Calling it gay implies that it's a characteristic. Calling it "gay" implies that it's sinister.

The Washington Times, a Moonie rag for fascists, only just recently stopped printing same-sex "marriage."

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Gay people are people who have a same-sex/same-gender attraction as an innate characteristic.

"Gay" people are people who choose to live in sin because they hate God.

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax
My "Gay" sex will single-handedly destroy the Western world it seems. Sorry about that.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Teddybear posted:

It's scare quotes. Calling it gay implies that it's a characteristic. Calling it "gay" implies that it's sinister.

The Washington Times, a Moonie rag for fascists, only just recently stopped printing same-sex "marriage."
Moonie Times is the best because they created gaybama.jpg

Look at the shadow! That's how you know it's evil.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Rickycat posted:

My "Gay" sex will single-handedly destroy the Western world it seems. Sorry about that.

You must have a big one... a REALLY BIG one...

I actually like that Gay Obama logo, lighten it up a little bit to make it look less sinister and I would sport it!

I went to my first SSM marriage on Saturday in MD. World still hasn't ended and my "traditional" married friends are still married.

Bulbo
Nov 4, 2012

RottenK posted:

Something tells me that this brave Christian warrior will poo poo her pants the second someneone points a gun at her.

You have no idea: she fainted during a recent protest when the police pointed tear gas in her general direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Bulbo posted:

You have no idea: she fainted during a recent protest when the police pointed tear gas in her general direction.

I know I shouldn't laugh, but gently caress being nice :cawg:

Come on, there are GAYS marrying, you can't let a little tear gas stop you in your quest to make gay people miserable! loving wimp.:colbert:

• Locked thread