Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

They're both very good centres indeed, but I gave to edge to Kopitar since he's a better goal scorer.

Assists are good, but goals win games. :devil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Rotten Cookies posted:

Yeah, it's not even that far into the second round yet, so we don't have any idea of what people are drafting for. Win-Now team? Or a team with a young core built for the long haul? Top heavy scoring? Scoring by committee? Offensive D-Men or what? Not to mention when players are going to go in the draft, and I'm sure there will be some dudes who slip way down to like th third round and all of a sudden everyone goes "Wait, REALLY?! Nobody took him?!"

I think it's kind of silly to have a team philosophy or drafting plan before you've even picked a single player. I suppose you can build a team around some of the picks here, but why decide that with just one player?

Most people picked a #1C under 30 in the first round. You can build any kind of team around most of those players and there's no need to decide until your second or third pick. I think that also makes reaching with your first pick because they fit your system of zero players kind of nonsensical. Just take the best guy and make up your mind about the team philosophy later.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

^^^^^^^
Going in with a plan in mind is probably a good idea. Obviously you can't pre-select your players, but you can focus on specific areas. First round is probably BPA, but beyond that you need to start focusing on what you want your strengths to be.

Drunk Canuck posted:

They're both very good centres indeed, but I gave to edge to Kopitar since he's a better goal scorer.

Crosby.

I couldn't disagree more. A top-tier playmaking centre will turn a mediocre winger into a 30 goalscorer, a 40 goal scorer isn't going to turn his centre into a ppg player.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 13, 2013

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Drunk Canuck posted:

Hey Backstrom's scored 30 goals before! Probably can't count on that being a regular thing though. More of a low-mid 20s guy, which is still good.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
Are we allowed to trade picks? Or is that against the rules?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

... averages over .5 GPG in the regular season and nearly .5 in the playoffs, so good argument for taking him first overall?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Crosby is probably not a good example... He's on another level compared to his peers. Malkin vs Stamkos. (I take Malkin).

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

eXXon posted:

... averages over .5 GPG in the regular season and nearly .5 in the playoffs, so good argument for taking him first overall?

I elaborated, and he's the best player since Lemieux so probably not the best comparable. However, it's fair to say he's regarded as a playmaker rather than a goalscorer.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

My crippling inability to make (good) decisions and plan and such is my reminder why I chose to autodraft.

Can't wait until I autodraft Harry Z onto some poor sucker's team

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

I elaborated, and he's the best player since Lemieux so probably not the best comparable. However, it's fair to say he's regarded as a playmaker rather than a goalscorer.

Crosby is a Rocket Richard winner :colbert:

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

I see the effects of a borderline scoring C on a great scoring winger and that is really why I went after one of the better consistent scoring 1C available.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

myron cope posted:

Crosby is a Rocket Richard winner :colbert:

Kunitz and Dupuis look like world class talent playing beside Crosby. He gave me stats that would make much, much better players jealous.

jopo
Jan 29, 2007

Kovalev out 6-8 months with lazy bones

With our second round pick, the Oilers are proud to select Kris Letang

Cap hit: $3,500,000
Signed through: 2013-2014

Letang would have been nominated for the Norris this year had he not been injured. He's a clear cut #1 on an outstanding contract, and is only 25 years old.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

Paulocaust posted:

Well good luck affording other players for your cup run with that 10 mil you've given to one player for the next decade

Don't you worry about me. I have a plan.

Edit: Letang is a great pick. He's among 4 or 5 I was hoping to see available when I pick. People may think he's one dimensional at first glance because he's smallish and good with the puck, but he's extremely strong and capable of anchoring a first defensive line for any team. I would so like to see him play for the Caps some day.

Slappy Pappy fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 13, 2013

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I like having Crosby, but this draft position sucks. I'm going to have to overpay for _______ and get boned in some other key spots.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

With the fourth pick in the second round, the Tampa Bay Lightning will select...

Kari Lehtonen.
Cap hit: $3,550,000 for 2012-2013, up to $5,900,000 the following season.
Contract length: 2017-2018

This was a fairly agonizing pick, trying to decide what direction to go, considering how many great players are on the board, but we had to take into consideration that we wouldn't be picking again until the late third round, and realize that a goaltender is a very important part of the team night in and night out. And Kari, while not the statistically best goaltender out there, comes at a price we like, while having size, and fundamentals, making him a good long term solution. He's not the sort of goaltender who relies on his atheletics to get him by, and we're excited to see what he can do with the defense we put in front of him.

Edit: I feel like I'm going to take a lot of grief for this pick.

Chairman Wao fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 13, 2013

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Chairman Wao posted:

Edit: I feel like I'm going to take a lot of grief for this pick.

Are you a former fan of the Atlanta thrashers, by any chance?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i like lehtonen a lot and he's arguably the next logical goalie pick but there's a billion great centers and dmen left and we're at the point where there's not a lot of difference between goalies available now and in round 10

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I almost took Pietrangelo/Letang 30/31 but decided I didn't want two franchise defencemen and a patchwork offence. He was the player I considered better overall than Bergeron, but in the end positioning won out.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

Thufir posted:

Are you a former fan of the Atlanta thrashers, by any chance?

Nope. This is just kind of happening by happy coincidence. I dunno, there were quite a few players I agonized over for this pick. I had to call the ball eventually, and just went with my gut.

the talent deficit posted:

i like lehtonen a lot and he's arguably the next logical goalie pick but there's a billion great centers and dmen left and we're at the point where there's not a lot of difference between goalies available now and in round 10

No guarantee that goalies like this fall that far, and you can build a great team but if you have a lovely goalie, you're gonna get screwed. And like I said, I don't pick again until the late third round. I feel a lot better having my starting goalie situation solved now.

Chairman Wao fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 13, 2013

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Lehtonen is a fine pick. I would have taken maybe, 2 goalies above him but that's all personal preference. Whenever we play Dallas I go, imagine if he had defensemen in front of him!

jopo
Jan 29, 2007

Kovalev out 6-8 months with lazy bones

ThinkTank posted:

I almost took Pietrangelo/Letang 30/31 but decided I didn't want two franchise defencemen and a patchwork offence. He was the player I considered better overall than Bergeron, but in the end positioning won out.

I was going to take whoever was left between Petro and Letang. Had they both been available I'm honestly not sure who I would have gone with.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

Austrian mook posted:

Lehtonen is a fine pick. I would have taken maybe, 2 goalies above him but that's all personal preference. Whenever we play Dallas I go, imagine if he had defensemen in front of him!

I was talking to my buddy about that other day. I feel bad for the guy, and I'm a Stars fan. He's the kind of guy that I think could carry a team deep into the playoffs. If they could help him get there.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'd rather have Letang than Pietroangelo (right now and next year too, maybe not 4 years from now). Love the pick.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
is this me now? i have to put my kids to bed but then I'll be down to make my pick.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I added Letang's age to the sheet. I put him as 26. He's 25 but his birthday is in 2 weeks.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
drat, we're making some progress tonight

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

Austrian mook posted:

drat, we're making some progress tonight

Playing Shogun 2: Total War and researching hockey players, while agonizing over drafting them in a fantasy GM draft. Could I ask for a better Friday? (Probably)

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
there's been literally 0 people saying a thing about me picking keith. do people just not remember that he's still alive

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

Verviticus posted:

there's been literally 0 people saying a thing about me picking keith. do people just not remember that he's still alive

Who?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Verviticus posted:

i had him projected in the 17th round

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

the talent deficit posted:

i had him projected in the 17th round

right after kris letang

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Chairman Wao posted:

Playing Shogun 2: Total War and researching hockey players, while agonizing over drafting them in a fantasy GM draft. Could I ask for a better Friday? (Probably)

I ran a conference all day, I've fantasized about blowing my evening watching/posting about hockey and being totally anti-social since 6am.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Verviticus posted:

A thing: he's expensive. ______ and _______ are still on the board.

I thought he'd drop further because of it. A pretty safe pick though. No issue with it at all.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

Verviticus posted:

There's better D-men still unpicked.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
Edit: Wrong thread.

But uh...Letang was a solid pick. I kind of need to think of defensemen myself I guess. I've got one in particular on my radar.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Personally I'd have taken Letang over Keith, but I don't think you can go wrong with either and I'm also a huge Letang homer. I think he might be the best five on five defenseman in the NHL in terms of transition offense. Karlsson is definitely much better than him on the powerplay, though. That to me is Letang's biggest flaw because he's fantastic in every other situation.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Pietrangelo was the defenseman I was going to pick if Subban wasn't available.

I think Lehtonen would have lasted a little while longer, although it's not a bad pick.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Vigilance posted:

Personally I'd have taken Letang over Keith, but I don't think you can go wrong with either and I'm also a huge Letang homer. I think he might be the best five on five defenseman in the NHL in terms of transition offense. Karlsson is definitely much better than him on the powerplay, though. That to me is Letang's biggest flaw because he's fantastic in every other situation.

Karlsson is far and away the best ES defenseman in terms of offense.

(He had more ES points than Letang had total points last year.)

e: yeah I know Letang was injured and had a stunning year. Karlsson had 50 ES points though. That number is nuts.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
So, in the 2nd round - I'm going to pick a franchise defenceman who at the tender age of 23 has already led his team to a Stanley Cup victory and owns Olympic gold.

Drewsef Pouty Doughty. Welcome. We have finally filled the d-man gap in Calgary that's been empty since Steve Chiasson died.

• Locked thread