Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine is the best Puyo game and anyone who says otherwise is dumb and wrong and ugly and I hate them. :colbert:

I won fifty bucks off my Dad on Mean Bean Machine. He dared me to play the hardest difficulty and that he'd give me one cent for every 100 points or something like that. 15 minutes later of being totally in the zone, he had to reluctantly pony up. :smug: drat I loved that game whenever it showed up in Sega Channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I won fifty bucks off my Dad on Mean Bean Machine. He dared me to play the hardest difficulty and that he'd give me one cent for every 100 points or something like that. 15 minutes later of being totally in the zone, he had to reluctantly pony up. :smug: drat I loved that game whenever it showed up in Sega Channel.

MBM is my go-to multiplayer game, really. It and Lumines are basically the only games my mum likes (or can play without hurling everywhere). Whenever her and I sit down and play Bean Machine we end up doing like 50 games without even noticing.

I usually have to set a handicap for myself (as I went through a stage where I played so much that I had dreams of setting off combos), but she does pretty well.

Actually just recently I softmodded a friend's Wii, loaded that into Genesis Plus EX (it's a Mega Drive! :argh:) and we ended up playing for three hours straight - except we couldn't get a second controller to sync, so I used a Wiimote and he was on a CC Pro connected to that Wiimote. Awkward, but who cares when you're popping beans like nobody's business.

In short I loving love Mean Bean Machine.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!

Discount Viscount posted:

In the great Genesis model differences comparisons I don't think I've seen anyone weigh in on the sound/video quality of the Sega CDX or JVC X'Eye versus the standard models. Having both a CDX and an HDG model 1 but not having bothered to hook both up for a direct comparison yet... can anyone weigh in on the CDX on these points?

I do my Genesis gaming on an X'Eye, and while I haven't yet done a direct comparison, I can definitely tell the sound balance is different than on the model 2 I was using. Can't really say if it's better or worse, but definitely a bit different. I'll have to try them out side by side later.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Discount Viscount posted:

In the great Genesis model differences comparisons I don't think I've seen anyone weigh in on the sound/video quality of the Sega CDX or JVC X'Eye versus the standard models. Having both a CDX and an HDG model 1 but not having bothered to hook both up for a direct comparison yet... can anyone weigh in on the CDX on these points?

So there's legitimately a difference between the ones that say "high definition graphics" and the ones that don't? I'd just assumed it was one of those phrases electronics companies slap on to products.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Quiet Feet posted:

So there's legitimately a difference between the ones that say "high definition graphics" and the ones that don't? I'd just assumed it was one of those phrases electronics companies slap on to products.

The Genesis is a clusterfuck of revisions using 3 or 4 different graphic encoders and a wealth of different audio circuits. I went into detail about it a long while ago but pretty much the rundown is this for the regular models:
HDG model 1: always good encoder & audio
Non-hdg model 1: always good encoder & sometimes poo poo audio
model 2: 3 different encoders & most-always poo poo audio... 7 revisions exist and only 1 is considered decent
model 3: poo poo all around

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Tusen Takk posted:

My brother-in-law found a GameCube on his adventures and gave it to me; problem is, it has no cables... Is there a way to hook it up via VGA or HDMI to my computer monitor?

Also, if anyone has a spare copy of Pokemon Colosseum and Pokemon XD, I will gladly take them off your hands.

As far as video out, there are two ports on the back of it. The standard one most people use is the exact same port used by AV Famicom, SNES/Super Famicom and N64, so any cables for those systems will work. The other port is what's used for progressive scan output, used for component and D-Terminal cables. Unfortunately, as a cost-cutting measure, Nintendo stuck the chips you need in the CABLE instead of the system itself, making reproduction cables pretty much impossible, and since the component cables were only sold on Nintendo's online shop they are hard to come by and generally very expensive. There's no direct way to get VGA or HDMI out, it would have to output an analog signal through an upscaler.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That happened with my copy of Shenmue - the little teeth holding disc 1 in place snapped during shipping for some reason. Thankfully the disc wasn't scratched, and I just ordered a replacement set of three empty dreamcast cases (figured I may as well keep a few spares on-hand).
Yeah, I've thought about ordering replacements, but then I figured that it would be pointless because they'd most likely also be smashed to gently caress in the loving hands of Finnish mail workers and would be useless by the time I got them. Maybe I should order thirty of them and hope a few survive intact. :v:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

flyboi posted:

The Genesis is a clusterfuck of revisions using 3 or 4 different graphic encoders and a wealth of different audio circuits. I went into detail about it a long while ago but pretty much the rundown is this for the regular models:
model 2: 3 different encoders & most-always poo poo audio... 7 revisions exist and only 1 is considered decent

That's interesting. The model 1 was always the best looking hardware too, IMO.

Anyway, I'm doing some spring cleaning and I got some crap here. Anyone want some crap? (click for huge)

1: A Sega Dreamcast in very nonworking condition. It refused to read discs even before I destroyed the lens in an ill-advised attempt to fix it with no experience and no proper tools. Cables included.

2: A second Dreamcast with no physical deformities aside from a letter "B" written on the top with a magic marker. Who could have done this? Some kind of giant bee? Someone who wanted to mark which of his two Dreamcasts was the broken one before breaking the one that was supposed to not be broken (but turned out to be broken anyway)? In any event this one has the same disc reading problem as the other one, but no other damage. Cables and original box included.

3: (not pictured) One copy of Resident Evil: Code Veronica for the Dreamcast. With original jewel case and instruction booklet.

4: One copy of Alien Trilogy for the Saturn in a jewel case. No original box or instructions.

5: Medal of Honor: Vanguard for the PS2. With case and instructions. I could easily be persuaded to just give this away.

6: A manual for Revenge of the Gator on the Gameboy. Didn't someone here recently buy a copy of this? Giving it away. Taken by Unmature

7: A manual for Ghost Lion on the NES. Has a bit of discoloration on the bottom and some damage on the back. This had been glued into the back of a video rental box and was retrieved by applying Goo Gone. May smell faintly of citrus. Giving it away.

8: One manual for Dragon Warrior 3 on the NES. The front cover is no longer attached and the back cover is missing.

Ideally I'd like to trade for somebody else's crap. For the Dreamcasts it'd be nice to get something in return that'd cover the cost of shipping, though if you're in the Providence RI area we could meet in a heavily wooded place with nice loose soil some place public. First come, first serve for everything. I have an NES, SNES, Gameboy Color, Atari Lynx, Game Gear, Master System, Genesis, Saturn and Dreamcast (:sigh:). Just shoot me a PM.

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 13, 2013

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

It's stupidly easy to swap out Dreamcast disc drives, so you may want to look into buying a new drive.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

the_lion posted:

I am waiting for the official Hamburglar response to this thing.

I burst into laughter when he pulled out that ridiculous controller. Reminded me of the Jaguar controller.

haha I mean the guy has serious skill, but at that point I'd rather use an emulator and a Retrode. 80% of this whole thread's existence is using the original controllers and not to mention the awesomeness of having a model 1 Genesis and model 1 Sega CD and 32X sitting there staring at you in your entertainment center. It just ain't the same when it's practical and non-obtrusive looking. :colbert:

Quiet Feet posted:

That's interesting. The model 1 was always the best looking hardware too, IMO.

Anyway, I'm doing some spring cleaning and I got some crap here. Anyone want some crap? (click for huge)

1: A Sega Dreamcast in very nonworking condition. It refused to read discs even before I destroyed the lens in an ill-advised attempt to fix it with no experience and no proper tools. Cables included.

2: A second Dreamcast with no physical deformities aside from a letter "B" written on the top with a magic marker. Who could have done this? Some kind of giant bee? Someone who wanted to mark which of his two Dreamcasts was the broken one before breaking the one that was supposed to not be broken (but turned out to be broken anyway)? In any event this one has the same disc reading problem as the other one, but no other damage. Cables and original box included.

3: (not pictured) One copy of Resident Evil: Code Veronica for the Dreamcast. With original jewel case and instruction booklet.

4: One copy of Alien Trilogy for the Saturn in a jewel case. No original box or instructions.

5: Medal of Honor: Vanguard for the PS2. With case and instructions. I could easily be persuaded to just give this away.

6: A manual for Revenge of the Gator on the Gameboy. Didn't someone here recently buy a copy of this? Giving it away.

7: A manual for Ghost Lion on the NES. Has a bit of discoloration on the bottom and some damage on the back. This had been glued into the back of a video rental box and was retrieved by applying Goo Gone. May smell faintly of citrus. Giving it away.

8: One manual for Dragon Warrior 3 on the NES. The front cover is no longer attached and the back cover is missing.

Ideally I'd like to trade for somebody else's crap. For the Dreamcasts it'd be nice to get something in return that'd cover the cost of shipping, though if you're in the Providence RI area we could meet in a heavily wooded place with nice loose soil some place public. First come, first serve for everything. I have an NES, SNES, Gameboy Color, Atari Lynx, Game Gear, Master System, Genesis, Saturn and Dreamcast (:sigh:). Just shoot me a PM.

You gave me a good idea with this post in that maybe we should all post pics of our duplicates/surplus/unwanted retro collection, and we can all offer up trades to one another? I know I have so much extra stuff that I will never throw out but at the same time don't feel like selling. What do you guys think?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

You gave me a good idea with this post in that maybe we should all post pics of our duplicates/surplus/unwanted retro collection, and we can all offer up trades to one another? I know I have so much extra stuff that I will never throw out but at the same time don't feel like selling. What do you guys think?

I like this idea... here's a bunch of stuff that I would love to trade for stuff that I don't already have: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3539998&highlight=

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

kirbysuperstar posted:

Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine is the best Puyo game and anyone who says otherwise is dumb and wrong and ugly and I hate them. :colbert:

I'm not going to say otherwise, but I do wonder if it was better than the SNES Kirby's Avalanche.
I find it so very weird that Nintendo and Sega would respectively rebrand and repurpose Puyo Puyo with their major franchise characters.
Neither were released in Japan originally, though Mean Bean Machine would occasionally be included in Sega's compilations.

It's also worth noting that it's yet another Nintendo puzzle game that went through weird redesigns and release patterns between Japan and overseas.

For example, Wario's Woods was only released on FC in Japan, and subsequently only on SNES overseas.

Panel de Pon was only released on SFC in Japan, converted into Tetris Attack with Yoshi & related characters on SNES (which was then released as Yoshi no Panepon on SFC Satellaview), upgraded as Pokemon Puzzle League on N64 (unreleased in Japan), and compiled on the Japan-only GC Nintendo Puzzle Collection in its original form. (Don't ask me about the handheld outings...)

Also, the weirdly addictive N64 Tetrisphere with its quirky and hard-to-understand system never did get a Japanese release.

Yoshi's Cookie got released in Japan and overseas, but the fully updated version in the GC Nintendo Puzzle Collection (the third title was Dr. Mario, which I don't like at all) with Mario characters added never made it out Japan.
There's also a variant called Yoshi's Cookie Kuruppon Oven de Cookie of which just 500 were made as a giveaway item with a Panasonic oven. It newly included a story mode. According to JP wiki, this version trades hands at prices up to $5,000.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Doug Dinsdale posted:

I'm not going to say otherwise, but I do wonder if it was better than the SNES Kirby's Avalanche.
I find it so very weird that Nintendo and Sega would respectively rebrand and repurpose Puyo Puyo with their major franchise characters.
Neither were released in Japan originally, though Mean Bean Machine would occasionally be included in Sega's compilations.

I thought Kirby's Avalanche/Ghost Trap was functionally identical to Super Puyo Puyo, though admittedly I'm not enough of a Puyo Puyo fan to dig into the two versions looking for differences.

But Puyo Puyo's as bad as Wonder Boy in terms of rebranding and forked versions. The first time I played it the game was called Qwirks and it was for the PC...

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011

flyboi posted:

I have to disagree with this one. While the Model 3 has its share of issues and I personally don't want one, A/V quality isn't really one of them, especially on the VA2 where its volume levels are properly balanced for Mono sound.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

Random Stranger posted:

I thought Kirby's Avalanche/Ghost Trap was functionally identical to Super Puyo Puyo, though admittedly I'm not enough of a Puyo Puyo fan to dig into the two versions looking for differences.

Yeah, I assume they're identical except for cosmetic differences like characters, same with Panel de Pon-Tetris Attack, Mean Bean Machine-some Megadrive Puyo Puyo, etc. I was just pointing out that these Nintendo puzzlers weren't fully identical across different territories.

Me, I can't even play Puyo Puyo, though I'm utterly hooked on Panel de Pon and Wario's Woods.

BoutrosBoutros
Dec 6, 2010

Asbrandt posted:

I have to disagree with this one. While the Model 3 has its share of issues and I personally don't want one, A/V quality isn't really one of them, especially on the VA2 where its volume levels are properly balanced for Mono sound.

You have to be a real *legitimately-has-aspergers* level of OCD to really notice much of a difference between any of the Genesis revisions as far as AV quality goes. Sega was not selling consoles with "poo poo-audio" to the public for years and years. I grew up with a HDG version model one and I also own a model 3 and I honestly can't tell much, if any difference between the two. I'd be willing to bet even the spergiest dudes couldn't tell you which revision was playing a game if all they could see/hear was the TV.

The main thing with a model 3 is that it's not compatible with poo poo like the 32x and the SegaCD. That's like the only reason (and it's a very good reason) to avoid it.

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011

BoutrosBoutros posted:

You have to be a real *legitimately-has-aspergers* level of OCD to really notice much of a difference between any of the Genesis revisions as far as AV quality goes.

Well, the thing about :spergin: is that once someone else has pointed it out to you, its much easier to end up seeing/hearing the differences than if you hadn't known about them.
For me, personally, I can't tell the audio apart, but I do notice the video differences.

Holding out for a specific revision of Genesis is honestly more about keeping my spending in check than about the revision itself.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Quiet Feet posted:

6: A manual for Revenge of the Gator on the Gameboy. Didn't someone here recently buy a copy of this? Giving it away.

Ooh, I'd like that, sir.

Its tempting to ask for the Dreamcast, but I have 4 and 2 already don't work. I should fix those before I acquire more.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Unmature posted:

Ooh, I'd like that, sir.

Its tempting to ask for the Dreamcast, but I have 4 and 2 already don't work. I should fix those before I acquire more.

Yeesh. Who in the hell in this thread doesn't have multiple Dreamcasts?

The RotG manual is yours. How do I reach you?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Quiet Feet posted:

I don't. :saddowns: Yet, at least. Been thinking of getting another one because the disc drive on mine isn't in the best shape (for example, disc 3 of Shenmue won't start unless I turn the Dreamcast upside down), but haven't bothered to do so yet. I should probably adjust the laser on this one first and see if that helps.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Quiet Feet posted:

This is what happens when you make a system that both breaks easily and has easily modular parts.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Quiet Feet posted:

The RotG manual is yours. How do I reach you?

Just email me at MattJaySega@gmail.com. I don't have PMs :ohdear:

And thanks! :dance:

elf help book posted:

This is what happens when you make a system that both breaks easily and has easily modular parts.

And is AWESOME.

I really want to fix my two that are broken. I also have a working Sega Sports one and a Japanese model.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 13, 2013

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Unmature posted:

Just email me at MattJaySega@gmail.com. I don't have PMs :ohdear:

And thanks! :dance:

And is AWESOME.

I really want to fix my two that are broken. I also have a working Sega Sports one and a Japanese model.

Email sent.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

My adventures with old Sega racing games continue with the Mega Drive version of Outrun. This is pretty good, not nearly arcade perfect (the lack of sprite scaling in particular hurts it, as a result you get traffic popping up right in front of you at the worst times) but a hundred times better than any of the other early home ports and at least eight million times better than the lovely Mega Drive port of Turbo Outrun that looks, sounds, and plays much worse than the first one. Turbo Outrun was never as good as the original in the first place, but the port is just awful and the only reason I got it was for collection purposes.

I'm probably doing something wrong in the first Outrun, because I can barely make it to the end of the supposed easiest route (route A) but got through the hardest route (route E) on my first attempt with no problems whatsoever despite crashing a few times. I think they shuffled some stages around for this version, route A shouldn't be this hard.

The music is still awesome, at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2li12xWkuw

This is from a while back, but OutRun has a different track layout depending on the region it was released in. I *think* this carries over to the MD port, but if you change the console's region to Japanese and back you'll definitely notice a few differences.

[edit] Speaking of OutRun, I'd love an amateur translation of a few Japanese instruction books, particularly the explanatory booklet that came with the 20th Anniversary soundtrack box (:smug:). Know of anywhere that'd be best for this? Bursting into SAL with a 'translate my videogames' request seems a little gauche.

spincube fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 13, 2013

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Quiet Feet posted:

Email sent.

Thank you, sir!

Speaking of me getting free things, a buddy of mine gave me a box of games last night:

The MvC2 is just the case and manual. Still cool since now I can just pick up a cheap disc only copy.
I haven't checked to see if Metal Gear works yet. And I'm excited to try Maken X. It's unrelated to MegaTen, but it's developed by Atlus and Kazuma Kaneko did the art direction.

Also Toy Commander!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

spincube posted:

This is from a while back, but OutRun has a different track layout depending on the region it was released in. I *think* this carries over to the MD port, but if you change the console's region to Japanese and back you'll definitely notice a few differences.
That's interesting, I didn't know that. Maybe if I ever end up modding my Mega Drive I can try that out and see the differences.

quote:

the 20th Anniversary soundtrack box (:smug:).
I want this thing so much. OutRun has some of my favorite video game music of all time, and even the stuff in Turbo Outrun is kinda growing on me lately. I've had the original version of "Keep Your Heart" stuck in my head for days now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z_B5wUYd0Y

The arranged version in OutRun 2006 C2C is pretty cool as well, it's much more laid back and sounds more like the original OutRun music. Of course, I never listen to any of the Turbo Outrun stuff in C2C, Magical Sound Shower all day every day. :colbert:

edit: goddamn I need to get the Sega Ages version of OutRun for the Saturn

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So, update - it wasn't the a/v port keeping the goodwill Genesis from working! I guess I didn't seat the cable properly or something. I opened it up and the port was rock solid. Bizarre. Also confirmed that it's a 2.3---whether that's better or worse, I'm still not sure.

On the downside, it still only boots the cartridges I've got 50-66% of the time. When it doesn't, it'll hang on a black screen or get as far as "this software is licenesed by Sega" or whatever the message says and then go to black and hang there. Not sure what that's all about. But when it runs, it runs.

Sonic is both a lot harder (I am constantly running around with maybe one or two rings, forget about ever getting an emerald, let alone many emeralds that would necessitate an entire rack) and easier (I can survive basically any stage with those one or two rings) than I remember from the few times I got to play it over at other kids' houses.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

This is a really good idea. I have a lot of little odds and ends in my collection that I don't really have a use for and I'd love to send them to somebody who actually wants them for the cost of shipping.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Got my japanese SFC scart cable in the mail today from Japan... with euro pinout :what:

Oh well, I have a converter for it, now all I need is the saturn cable to come wherever that is.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

flyboi posted:

Genesis models are a clusterfuck, but this is a bit inaccurate, especially if you're using composite and not RGB. A lot of the HDG model 1s have terrible rainbow banding. It's absolutely not an aspergers- level thing to notice.

With a rare exception the non-HDG model 1s are absolute crap with terrible video and audio (actually worse than the early model 2s, which is awful).

Model 3s actually have decent video but shittastic mono audio. So despite the small compatibility issues it's really not a bad system for the hard of hearing :downs:

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
What about the 32X? Doesn't having a 32X mounted on any Genesis route everything through that system's video encoder? How does that compare to the "good" Genesis?

BoutrosBoutros
Dec 6, 2010

shymog posted:

Genesis models are a clusterfuck, but this is a bit inaccurate, especially if you're using composite and not RGB. A lot of the HDG model 1s have terrible rainbow banding. It's absolutely not an aspergers- level thing to notice.

With a rare exception the non-HDG model 1s are absolute crap with terrible video and audio (actually worse than the early model 2s, which is awful).

Model 3s actually have decent video but shittastic mono audio. So despite the small compatibility issues it's really not a bad system for the hard of hearing :downs:

This is absolutely asperger's level. I'm not denying that there are minor differences between the revisions, but when you're really blowing everything so far out of proportion that you're calling poo poo terrible and shittastic, it takes it pretty far into asperger's territory. They all sound basically the same, and they all look basically the same 95% of the time. If you notice a difference and if you can honestly describe that difference as TERRIBLE, then you have asperger's. Sorry, but at least you're in good company in this thread.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Doug Dinsdale posted:

For example, Wario's Woods was only released on FC in Japan, and subsequently only on SNES overseas.

Wario's Woods NES came out overseas. In fact, do you notice anything odd on the label?

That's right, an ESRB rating! It was the only NES game to ever have one.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to recommend my newest acquisition

Steel Empire

for the Genesis.

It's a steam-punk flavored Shmup. You can play as a Zeppelin or Bi-plane as you take on the Motorhead empire.

You shoot frontwards and backwards and have bombs and can level up and get options, so nothing too out there. It does have a health bar which makes it a little more forgiving than most. Mostly it's just a solid, if not fantastic shmup with a cool art-style, and it's pretty cheap to boot.

It's also out on the GBA in PAL land, but I can't vouch for that version. What I can vouch for is the Japanese Box-art.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
Yeah, pretty much what you just said, BoutrosBoutros...

I just did a side by side comparison between my old Genesis model 2 (the most reviled model on the internet) and the JVC X'Eye both through composite to see if I could spot any difference. I had thought the X'Eye had a better picture initially, but looking at them both side-by-side, I really can't see much of a drat difference. All that I can say for sure is that the Model 2 was slightly louder at the same volume settings, and the colors were just slightly brighter on the model 2 as well. They both appeared about equally as sharp and otherwise played identically as far as I can tell. I wouldn't say either system was "total crap" or "great". Pretty much looked like the Sega Genesis to me.

Space Harrier fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 13, 2013

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
I use a Model 3 Genesis, via UHF into my flat screen TV. Haters.

Edit : With a 3rd party controller.

\/ YOU rear end in a top hat IT WILL RUIN THE QUALITY \/

midge fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 13, 2013

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

midge posted:

I use a Model 3 Genesis, via UHF into my flat screen TV. Haters.

Mine goes into my VCR

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Also as one of the lighter spergs in the thread, I should weigh in that for 99% of people, any model genesis will be fine and play exactly like the genesis you remember playing. There are visible differences:

The good news is that the 32x has a better video encoder and bypasses the model 2's.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
With the model 1 there is a noticeable over-amplification of the audio signal through the headphone port if you compare a mono av vs the stereo output. That's not even really going sperg on it at all, I can hear it every time I use the port. Right now the scart cable is using the headphone jack and every time you switch a page on my mega everdrive you can hear some noise come through the speaker because of the amped signal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

BoutrosBoutros posted:

This is absolutely asperger's level. I'm not denying that there are minor differences between the revisions, but when you're really blowing everything so far out of proportion that you're calling poo poo terrible and shittastic, it takes it pretty far into asperger's territory. They all sound basically the same, and they all look basically the same 95% of the time. If you notice a difference and if you can honestly describe that difference as TERRIBLE, then you have asperger's. Sorry, but at least you're in good company in this thread.

It's not like I pulled out subtle differences there, Sega was legitimately pulling cost-savings measures without any consumer quality cares at some point.

Stereo versus mono audio? Minor difference? Really? I guess we might as well all listen to our music through single-speaker hand-cranked Victrolas then. :v: "You like stereo and fidelity? SORRY BUT YOU HAVE ASPERGER'S!"

Rainbow banding isn't a subtle problem either, it's not like a bar that you need to have pointed out to you (no offense Miyamoto's RGB NES), it's a loving abnormal COLOR EXPLOSION all over the screen. Look at HKR's post above.

EDIT:

HKR posted:

Also as one of the lighter spergs in the thread, I should weigh in that for 99% of people, any model genesis will be fine and play exactly like the genesis you remember playing. There are visible differences:

The good news is that the 32x has a better video encoder and bypasses the model 2's.

That might be true, but unless you're 15 and spending your parent's money on whatever poo poo they can buy for you, there's no reason to not look into products you buy. It's like buying any home appliance/electronics device. Why the gently caress wouldn't you research what you're buying?

featurecreep fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 13, 2013

• Locked thread