Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

El Estrago Bonito posted:

"Perfect Fighting Game" is a title that I think can only really apply to ST and Garou.
Maybe UMK3.

Yeah, but at the highest level Garou eventually devolves into hop jabs, standing jabs and safe feints, hit confirmed into supers because everything besides that is free to just defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

flatluigi posted:

What fun characters did SF4 ship with because I'm still trying to find one.

Hakan. He knows how to have a good time.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
"Perfect" was my opinion of course, and probably the wrong word to use. Like I already said, I suck at MvC3 but to others that could be the perfect game. I used to play Tekken3 at a pretty good level back in the day, but haven't kept up with the series, and someone else might prefer that style above all others. So yeah, "perfect" might be a bad word to use. But I just feel like for a 2D game, single-character based, the offensive and defensive options are nicely balanced, a huge roster, the (this is the big one for me) response time of play is sharp, etc. to me feel like a pinnacle of SF-style games. That's what I meant.

But hell, style could change down the road and I'll like that more. Command parries, more wakeup options (actually that IS something I wish SF4 had), less emphasis on supers... and stuff I've never thought of. Who knows?

I also have to realize that I *am* an old school gamer and used to play SF1... heck, Karate Champ in the arcade. I got my chops with SF2 and Samurai Showdown. So maybe that's why that style of game seems the best to me...

I miss arcades :(

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Wait, you've played ST and you think SF4 is the pinnacle of SF style fighters?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Wait, you've played ST and you think SF4 is the pinnacle of SF style fighters?

ST is unwelcoming and harsh in a way that even other old games really aren't. Of course the same things that make it harsh are what makes it such a good "pure" fighting game, but even as someone who appreciates that I don't really enjoy it.

On the other hand I don't know how anyone who's played other games could think SF4's "offensive and defensive options are nicely balanced."

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Eh, I know I won't say anything right here... but yes, ST was very good. I'll slink away before my foot goes in further.

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski
ST is my favourite exactly because it's so unforgiving (and really hype to watch the japanese play still) but I wonder what were the major changes to HDR and was it simply not accepted by the community because everyone that plays ST loves the game the way it is?

My last GG game was #R and I recently watched some japanese AC+R matchvids, the level of play in that game has come such a long way since then, I don't even wanna touch it seeing all the stuff I wouldn't be able to execute. Watching extremely smart play in that game is so much fun.

It's so hard to get excited about watching SF4 in tournaments for some reason, I can appreciate the skill behind Dieminion's Guile for example, but it still seems quite dull.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Clarification request: am I allowed to post anything at all about my game in here? Because I have some neat stuff I'd like to share but not enough to merit a new thread.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Cabbagepots posted:

Clarification request: am I allowed to post anything at all about my game in here? Because I have some neat stuff I'd like to share but not enough to merit a new thread.
You can but you can definitely count on everyone ridiculing it.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is it still your personal giantess touhou fetish project?

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
I personally would very much like to know more about Mega Moe Fighter HD Remix :)

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Basically, what I've realized is that other than ST, fighting games are pretty much subjective. Maybe you like ground based footsie games. Maybe you like airdashing around in anime games. Maybe you like 3D fighters. Whatever.

Personally, 3rd Strike is my favorite fighting game and I like to play (*gasp*) SF4. I don't really enjoy playing Marvel. 3rd Strike isn't perfect. gently caress, the game's balance is broken as all hell. Some people hate the parry system. But whatever. I like it, okay? I see people going "man, this popular game is objectively awesome\terrible" in this thread all the time when a lot of this stuff boils down to personal preference.

Well, on the other hand, I think SFxT is objectively terrible, so I dunno.

...Although there are some people who like it.

...Some crazy people.

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski
Speaking of 3rd Strike, which game featured a sort of parry system first anyway? Seems like it's going to feature in every iteration of SF from now on. I wonder how 3rd Strike would play without it. I'm not a big fan of parry systems and like 5 different ways of blocking in a game in general (GG is especially guilty of this).

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
I haven't watched a fighting game stream since Evo but I watched that Setholol vs. Infiltration match from FR and honestly it was the most interesting thing I've seen from the big 3 Capcom fighting games for a long time. All the jumping around is stupid though.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 13, 2013

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

I haven't watched a fighting game stream since Evo but I watched that Setholol vs. Infiltration match from FR and honestly it was the most interesting thing I've seen in a post-SF4 Capcom fighting game for a long time. All the jumping around is stupid though.

That was quite hype but mostly because it was an underdog taking out the champion with the power of an unusual bearacter. Anytime new tech succeeds old tech like that is pretty exciting, watching Apologyman execute his Skrull/Firebrand poo poo in that FGTV weekly was amazing to watch also. Ultimately that's what I watch fighting games for, someone coming up with new tech (Kusoru winning FR (?) was a great display of this).

heiden fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Apr 13, 2013

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

heiden posted:

Speaking of 3rd Strike, which game featured a sort of parry system first anyway? Seems like it's going to feature in every iteration of SF from now on. I wonder how 3rd Strike would play without it. I'm not a big fan of parry systems and like 5 different ways of blocking in a game in general (GG is especially guilty of this).

The first ever parry was from Art of Fighting 1, where you could make fireballs dissipate with a jab. After that, the earliest games I can think of with a universal parry mechanic are Last Blade 1 and SF3: New Generation, both of which are 1997 games.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
I might be talking out my rear end here but I think one of the 3d games beat them to the punch. When did Tekken first have low parry?

(SF3 and Last Blade, obviously not Art of Fighting)

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..

heiden posted:

That was quite hype but mostly because it was an underdog taking out the champion with the power of an unusual bearacter. Anytime new tech succeeds old tech like that is pretty exciting, watching Apologyman execute his Skrull/Firebrand poo poo in that FGTV weekly was amazing to watch also. Ultimately that's what I watch fighting games for, someone coming up with new tech (Kusoru winning FR (?) was a great display of this).

It was more because there was a lot of actual footsies and less stupid vortex poo poo than SF4.

inthesto posted:

The first ever parry was from Art of Fighting 1, where you could make fireballs dissipate with a jab. After that, the earliest games I can think of with a universal parry mechanic are Last Blade 1 and SF3: New Generation, both of which are 1997 games.

WeaponLord~

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
poo poo, I totally forgot about Weaponlord and Soul Edge, which would have SF3 and Last Blade beat out by 1 and 2 years, respectively.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

I mean as stupid as the concept is for fighting games and ignoring how much I want to set fire to people who actually want freemium models in fighting games, I have it on genuinely good authority from someone who may or may not work/have worked at capcom that SFxT was originally going to be free to play, with Ryu/Ken/Jin/Kazuya for free and everyone else paid for. It was scrapped due to Microsoft and Sony not wanting to support games with that model at the time and thus the introduction of gems as an awkward half way point of dumb monetisation.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

It was more because there was a lot of actual footsies and less stupid vortex poo poo than SF4.

This is what I like about sfxt too, but the problem is nearly every single character is still horrifically slow, throws are still way too weak as a method of opening people up, and in certain matchups the risk/reward for jumping is way out of whack and your best method of gaining offensive momentum is just to jump and pray.

After the patch the game is better, but it's still not ready IMO

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Jmcrofts posted:

This is what I like about sfxt too, but the problem is nearly every single character is still horrifically slow, throws are still way too weak as a method of opening people up, and in certain matchups the risk/reward for jumping is way out of whack and your best method of gaining offensive momentum is just to jump and pray.

After the patch the game is better, but it's still not ready IMO

Yeah I don't know if I'd actually want to play it but it seems like it can be interesting to watch at least, which SF4 hasn't been for a long time for me.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
At this point I'd take just about anything over watching AE

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

PonchAxis posted:

Yeah this is pretty much it right here. New consoles aren't backwards compatible and capcom still doesn't want to release anything on pc.

Japanese companies just don't get the PC for the most part. There is no market over there for it. They are starting to come around though, Capcom's been dabbling in it for a little while with their big titles to much success and Dark Souls has sold amazingly well on the platform to a lot of peoples surprise. Capcom and the like seem to be leaving out the arcade titles though which is a mistake in my view, those sort of games sell better on Steam than on XBL or PSN although I don't know if it would still be the same for fighting games.

When Skullgirls FINALLY gets a PC release it will be a good indication. Oddly enough Mortal Kombat is coming to PC pretty soon, I have a fear it's going to use GFWL though :(

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 13, 2013

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Fauxtool posted:

is it still your personal giantess touhou fetish project?

My game never had anything to do with Touhou. It is extremely anime though, you like anime, don't you?

getitoffgetitoff posted:

I personally would very much like to know more about Mega Moe Fighter HD Remix :)

If you got any questions I'd be happy to answer them.

All I really want to do is post a few of my game's supremely cool characters and see if you guys like them. Linked because they're rather big images.

http://i.imgur.com/2Z8KbnS.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zao6Ob9.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/uLGg2xg.jpg

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Dangit lady, that's not how you wear belts!

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski
You should sell it for 200$ a copy on giantess fetish forums, just like japanese anime companies sell stuff at a ridiculous price to a small number of crazy otakus.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

heiden posted:

You should sell it for 200$ a copy on giantess fetish forums, just like japanese anime companies sell stuff at a ridiculous price to a small number of crazy otakus.

Yes, much like Skullgirls was sold exclusively to guro fetishists, look how much they made on that game!

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

So, what's up with mushroom girl? How does she fight like?

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Shroom girl is actually a cool idea + looks good. I'm impressed.

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski

Cabbagepots posted:

Yes, much like Skullgirls was sold exclusively to guro fetishists, look how much they made on that game!

Skullgirls has absolutely nothing to do with guro. MK is probably more popular in that scene.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cabbagepots posted:

Are you high?

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

heiden posted:

Skullgirls has absolutely nothing to do with guro. MK is probably more popular in that scene.

I disagree on both points, but I digress.

So anyways, the mushroom girl's name is Viore. She's a bitter, genocidal misanthrope who wants to exterminate all humanity.

Her gameplay revolves around killing people. She has the ability to absorb the souls of humans she's killed and turn them into "spores" (normal-sized ghostlike entities that resemble her). She needs to cause lots of destruction of human structures in a combo before performing a move to harvest all their souls. Once she's done this she can then use the spores to augment the magic spells she uses and make her specials more potent.

Cabbagepots fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 13, 2013

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
"Whoa, a lot of activity in the thread. Did a new game come out or something? I wonder what's up!"

"Oh."

Whenever I hear somebody say that SF is their favorite fighting game it's much like asking somebody what their favorite band is and them replying with "the Beatles:" it's the default, go-to answer that typically indicates that they have little to add to the subject.

Surely it's due to arcades not being around anymore and GGPO being Capcom-dominated and thereby limiting exposure, but with some looking around or even hopping on Supercade will broaden your horizons.

Cabbagepots posted:

My game never had anything to do with Touhou. It is extremely anime though, you like anime, don't you?

If you got any questions I'd be happy to answer them.

All I really want to do is post a few of my game's supremely cool characters and see if you guys like them. Linked because they're rather big images.

Man, that artist seems familiar, at least the style. The designs, in and of themselves, are lacking pop; almost as though they'd be the background characters. Though I think some of that may be helped by broadening their color palette as there's quite a bit of purple there (that may be on the artist, though).

Something I appreciate a great deal in regards to fighters is the emphasis on character design; it's perhaps the genre in which it has the greatest opportunity to shine. It's what is going to draw people towards your game and what they're going to be spending the most amount of time looking at and eventually identifying with.

I'll stop myself here as it's very easy to go into :words: on the subject. :shobon:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Ghostpilot posted:

Whenever I hear somebody say that SF is their favorite fighting game it's much like asking somebody what their favorite band is and them replying with "the Beatles:" it's the default, go-to answer that typically indicates that they have little to add to the subject.

But what if their favorite game is 3S or Alpha 3? Those are pretty interesting games, mostly because how far they deviate from other SF games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

What if their favorite fighter is Street Fighter EX?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Cabbagepots posted:

I like the mushroom girl but the other two need work. The first one might be down to just being too much of one colour but the second one I hate mainly because of the belt bra.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

heiden posted:

This is more on the artist, really. The low-angled perspective along with the overall thickness of the legs makes them seem far larger than intended. (What does the artist have against knees?) I'm not sure if it's a stylistic choice or if the artist may benefit from some research into human anatomy.

Not intended to be snide, by the way: you'd be surprised at how many professional artists who haven't done that sort of research.

inthesto posted:

But what if their favorite game is 3S or Alpha 3? Those are pretty interesting games, mostly because how far they deviate from other SF games.

Hence why I said "typically." Some people genuinely prefer SF over other games, that's cool. But most say it because they haven't played anything else.

Endorph posted:

What if their favorite fighter is Street Fighter EX?

Capcom didn't make that, Arika did. Nice try, though. ;)

But really, anybody who said that which is nobody would have my respect as it's probably something someone wouldn't admit to even if they did like it. I've mentioned it before, but I think the series is underrated was unfortunately grouped with the glut of godawful 3d fighters that were around at the time (especially in comparison to the excellent 2d fighters that were around at the same time).

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Well at least I found out Darkstalkers HD thing came out since I've been a horrible member of the fcg and doing other things. What system should I get it for to actually play people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Mega Comrade posted:

I like the mushroom girl but the other two need work. The first one might be down to just being too much of one colour but the second one I hate mainly because of the belt bra.

You hate it because of the belt bra? I don't fully understand.

• Locked thread