Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Arguably it ended when Vince McMahon gave the "Ruthless Aggression" speech on a June '02 Smackdown, since that's widely accepted as the following era. It's also Cena's debut, so it's kind of fitting since they started making him a poster-boy soon after.

Others say the WWF/WWE name change, others say the purchase of WCW, others say X-Seven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

MassRanTer posted:

I believe he had a pyro malfunction the day before.

So between that and Triple H's dry ice burns, it looks like the stage crew were pretty pissed off at both guys in that match.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Die Laughing posted:

Didn't some band offer to do Barret's theme since he was a fan? Did that ever happen?

And my favorite wrestler and their day job is George the Animal Steele as a teacher.

He and a couple other guys came into the ice cream store in my tiny middle of nowhere hometown once when I was a little kid. I was seriously :aaaaa: at the fact that he could talk normally. Also the first time I ever saw a $100 bill.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That's cute as hell. My mom just knew him as her hairy, bald gym teacher, that wrestled in his spare time. She didn't really know that he ate turn buckles, and made animal noises until she married my dad whose father was a big wrestling fan.

Is there any good documentaries on Gorgeous George? I recently read his wikipedia article, and am completely fascinated by him.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I literally haven't watched wrestling outside of channel flipping since when I was a kid. I was scanning the Wrestlemania thread and people were talking about Punk/Austin. When was the last time Stone Cold had an actual match? Like a real, honest to God, step in the in the ring and wrestle someone thing? I tried to figure it out on wikipedia and there's about 10,000 words on the last 8 years or so of his career where as far as I can tell all he's done is step in and stunner people or make silly cameos hosting/reffing stuff but I might have missed something while scanning.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

attackmole posted:

I literally haven't watched wrestling outside of channel flipping since when I was a kid. I was scanning the Wrestlemania thread and people were talking about Punk/Austin. When was the last time Stone Cold had an actual match? Like a real, honest to God, step in the in the ring and wrestle someone thing? I tried to figure it out on wikipedia and there's about 10,000 words on the last 8 years or so of his career where as far as I can tell all he's done is step in and stunner people or make silly cameos hosting/reffing stuff but I might have missed something while scanning.

Wrestlemania 19, so ten years ago this year.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Worth noting he *almost* had a match with Jonathan Coachman at Taboo Tuesday 2005 so it's probably for the best that he had his last match at Wrestlemania.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Didn't Austin have a match against Eric Bischoff at Summerslam 2003? It was the match where Coach turned heel.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Rarity posted:

Didn't Austin have a match against Eric Bischoff at Summerslam 2003? It was the match where Coach turned heel.

Just interfered. The match was Bischoff vs Shane.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Rarity posted:

That was Bischoff vs. Shane McMahon IIRC.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Die Laughing posted:

Is there any good documentaries on Gorgeous George? I recently read his wikipedia article, and am completely fascinated by him.

There is a biography about him out that I've read and enjoyed. It won the Wrestling Observer Book of the Year in 2008, so that is about as good of a stamp of approval as I can think of.

The only inaccuracy I can remember in the book, and Meltzer brought it up, was that Muhammad Ali said he borrowed some of George's persona after he saw him do an interview/promo at a radio station and fill the venue up. Ali was promoting his first pro boxing match after winning the Gold Medal at the Olympics and did it as a straight interview and the fight drew badly. After that he started to make himself more a character and the rest is history. The mistake in this story is that it was actually Classy Freddie Blassie he saw, which both were peroxide blonde heels who were excellent talkers, so it is easy to confuse them when you recall the story decades later.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Antitonic posted:

Which wrestlers have/had the weirdest "day jobs"? I mean, obviously Matt Striker was a teacher, but I only just learnt that Maven was a kindergarten teacher. It will also never not amuse me that Kane has a degree in English Literature.

Maven's bouncing at clubs nowadays. And is huge. And has awful tats.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Matlock posted:

Maven's bouncing at clubs nowadays. And is huge. And has awful tats.

A lot of wrestlers do that. Kevin Nash and Scott Hall were both bouncers at strip clubs early in their careers.

Raven was a male stripper at one point, although he exclusively stripped for women (according to him, that is), and Larry Sweeney actually worked in a carnival as a barker.

Honestly the weirdest wrestler shoot job to me is Sandman owning a successful construction company.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

CombineThresher posted:

Honestly the weirdest wrestler shoot job to me is Sandman owning a successful construction company.

Didn't he originally own a landscaping business? I remember him and Raven talking about it on their shoot interview and laughing at how bad it was.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

CombineThresher posted:

A lot of wrestlers do that. Kevin Nash and Scott Hall were both bouncers at strip clubs early in their careers.

So was the greatest technical wrestler to ever step between the ropes, Andrew "Test" Martin (RIP). Regular club though, not a strip club.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

So was the greatest technical wrestler to ever step between the ropes, Andrew "Test" Martin (RIP)

Is this sarcasm, or legit? I didn't really pay attention to techniques and such back in the day.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Shadow225 posted:

Is this sarcasm, or legit? I didn't really pay attention to techniques and such back in the day.

He was legit a bouncer. He was not legit the greatest technical wrestler ever to step between the ropes. He wasnt even the greatest technical wrestler with his exact haircut.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SiKboy posted:

He was legit a bouncer. He was not legit the greatest technical wrestler ever to step between the ropes. He wasnt even the greatest technical wrestler with his exact haircut.

He was rarely the best technical wrestler in the ring during any given match. And that's only 'rarely' because I'm not sure how good a worker Tim White would be if you gave him a shot.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

So I watched Summerslam 2002 after someone posted about the HBK/HHH unsanctioned match, and I actually have a question about the Rock vs. Brock for the Undisputed Title match. I thought Rock was the face going in, as the promo video before hand made out Brock like I remember him, as a ruthless beast of a man. Why then was Rock getting Rocky sucks chants?

I was watching around the time, but I don't remember much of what was going on. Thanks.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Quasipox posted:

So I watched Summerslam 2002 after someone posted about the HBK/HHH unsanctioned match, and I actually have a question about the Rock vs. Brock for the Undisputed Title match. I thought Rock was the face going in, as the promo video before hand made out Brock like I remember him, as a ruthless beast of a man. Why then was Rock getting Rocky sucks chants?

I was watching around the time, but I don't remember much of what was going on. Thanks.

Rock was the face going in, but this was a NY crowd (show was at either MSG or Nassau Coliseum, can't remember which) and they knew Rock was going away to shoot another movie after the match.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Rock was the face going in, but this was a NY crowd (show was at either MSG or Nassau Coliseum, can't remember which) and they knew Rock was going away to shoot another movie after the match.

Ah, yea that's what I was thinking since they were in Nassau.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

CombineThresher posted:

The best wrestling shoot job is/was Ian Rotten's shoot job at the Taco Bell thanks to that ridiculous hit piece podcast that was just 90 minutes of ruining Ian made many references to Ian being "real busy with your shoot job at the Taco Bell". It's a great phrase.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Quasipox posted:

Because everybody loved Brock. I'm struggling to think of times when the crowd wasn't behind Brock and the only thing that springs to mind is Wrestlemania 20

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
How have we come this far without saying Shane Douglas is manager of a Target?

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

projecthalaxy posted:

The best wrestling shoot job is/was Ian Rotten's shoot job at the Taco Bell thanks to that ridiculous hit piece podcast that was just 90 minutes of ruining Ian made many references to Ian being "real busy with your shoot job at the Taco Bell". It's a great phrase.

you can't mention this and forget to bring up the fact he was selling weed out of the drive-thru window.

Ian Rotten, ladies and gentlemen.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Rarity posted:

Heck, I dunno if he even still is a manager at Target any more. Maybe they shitcanned him after that "stunt" he pulled on Raw. :v:

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
These Olive Garden breadsticks are Just Inedible.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Rarity posted:

iirc he didn't even make manager. He tried to get the job and didn't get it/or they shitcanned him.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Joey McChrist posted:

iirc he didn't even make manager. He tried to get the job and didn't get it/or they shitcanned him.

"In the proud tradition of Stacy Wayne in Housewares. Of Mike Dunkin in Electronics. Of the Bellio twins in the Garden Center. Of John Mertin in Recovery.

This Manager badge. It's beautiful. Here we go dad!

Wait a second...of Carol Hebber in the Food Court. Of the fat man himself, Kevin Clark in Cosmetics. And Rick Cummings. And they can all...KISS MY rear end!"

::throws down badge::

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

SiKboy posted:

Andrew 'Test' Martin (RIP) once scoop-bodyslammed Viscera during a match and it is still among the top ten most amazing and random things I've seen in wrestling. He easily hoisted up that giant country of a man in sharp defiance of the strongest theories of both Einstein + Newton.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
Being near totally oblivious to everything that happened in WCW ever, what's the deal with Rick Steiner? I know Scott Steiner went from being bemulleted singlet-technical-skills guy to roidmonster extraordinaire, but what happened to his beardy-helmety brother?

was he just not good anymore & didn't get picked up when WWF bought WCW, that's all I can figure from Wikipedia. was he active in WCW while his brother was seemingly a big deal there or did he disappear back then too?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Was Giant's neck injury from Nash a work from Souled Out 98?

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Jack Krauser posted:

Was Giant's neck injury from Nash a work from Souled Out 98?

Nope, legit.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Joey McChrist posted:

He's now running a crappy ECW rip off wrestling promotion and recently got mad at his champ Stevie Richards for accepting a challenge for his belt against another ECW wrestler (I'm gonna guess Nunzio?) over a game of Madden.

Can't poo poo on Justin Credible for getting a job as a cook. Dude was getting older and the big promotions weren't calling. He got a short WWECW run jobbing to CM Punk and then went home. Went a lot further than any of us commenting on it and as far as I can tell he never had a huge ego about himself or was a huge arsehole (For a guy named Justin Credible, anyway).

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Chewy Bitems posted:

Being near totally oblivious to everything that happened in WCW ever, what's the deal with Rick Steiner? I know Scott Steiner went from being bemulleted singlet-technical-skills guy to roidmonster extraordinaire, but what happened to his beardy-helmety brother?

was he just not good anymore & didn't get picked up when WWF bought WCW, that's all I can figure from Wikipedia. was he active in WCW while his brother was seemingly a big deal there or did he disappear back then too?

He was a huge rear end in a top hat and shot on Konnan a few weeks before the buyout. He wasn't going to get picked up before beating the poo poo out of Konnan, but that cinched it. It didn't help that he hadn't been any good in years.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Chewy Bitems posted:

Rick's in ring skills really degraded due to age and injuries and as his brother became a big star his role in WCW was reduced week by week. Rick also had a terrible reputation for taking advantage of the lower card guys he worked with and as a result lost a lot of friends in the business.

So after WCW folded, Rick went onto work the indies, shooting on everyone he came into contact with and generally being a bit of a shithead. This was until one day he was booked up against Vordell Walker who was a shooter in his own right and gave Rick back everything he dished out.

Since then Rick's shown up in TNA for a short run with Scott against the Dudleys, but by this point he could barely do anything.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

Can't poo poo on Justin Credible for getting a job as a cook. Dude was getting older and the big promotions weren't calling. He got a short WWECW run jobbing to CM Punk and then went home. Went a lot further than any of us commenting on it and as far as I can tell he never had a huge ego about himself or was a huge arsehole (For a guy named Justin Credible, anyway).

Yeah, as much as I know, he actually got a clean break from wrestling, and I've never heard any stories of him being a dick or anything.

So, I hope you enjoy the rest of your life, Justin V:shobon:V

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Joey McChrist posted:

Wasn't that around the time he nearly died from his Oxycontin Addiction?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

VogeGandire posted:

Yeah, as much as I know, he actually got a clean break from wrestling, and I've never heard any stories of him being a dick or anything.

So, I hope you enjoy the rest of your life, Justin V:shobon:V

Has he gotten clean? I know he had some issues around Extreme Reunion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Skinty McEdger posted:

Rick's in ring skills really degraded due to age and injuries and as his brother became a big star his role in WCW was reduced week by week. Rick also had a terrible reputation for taking advantage of the lower card guys he worked with and as a result lost a lot of friends in the business.

Adding to this, even when they were in their prime, Scott was always the one pegged for singles runs instead of Rick