Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
This is the first game I've 100%'d in ages, the collectibles were so well done. I know people lamented the lack of real tombs but I just found that I didn't care at all once I got rolling in the game. Anyways great loving game and awesome port by Square-Enix / Crystal Dynamics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Alteisen posted:

Good news folks, Steam is offering the japanese language track of TR on Steam, it will go on sale on april 25th.

http://www.destructoid.com/japanese-language-pack-for-tomb-raider-costs-another-30-251446.phtml

Can be yours for a mere 30 dollars.

I understand Squeenix is having financial troubles but good lord. :psyduck:

Japanese game companies routinely charge more at home than away. My guess is that the actual retail release in Japan will be $80, so the $30 voice pack is to keep price parity instead of tempting foreign purchases at a lower price.

e: That's exactly it. Hah, the article even uses the term price parity.

"The massive upcharge brings the US Steam version into price parity with the Japanese retail release, which shares an April 25 release date with the VO pack, and retails for ¥7,980 ($80). Yes, video games are always too expensive in Japan. And Square Enix is artificially ensuring that's the case for Tomb Raider."

Winks fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 13, 2013

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I wonder how many people who don't actually speak the language will still buy this because it "sounds better".

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Renoistic posted:

I wonder how many people who don't actually speak the language will still buy this because it "sounds better".

Probably every worst people out there, but it's a thing, because for Japanese voice-casts the VO's behind the job tend to be very important for whether or not a large portion of weeaboos care. Is the Japanese voicepack voiced by any celebrities?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

DangerKat posted:

Or it cost $15.
Activision asks $15 for 5 maps so $3 per map - here we get 2 for $4 so $2 per map for an infinitely less popular multiplayer mode that's actually lovely even compared to CoD. There's also another Tomb Raider DLC that is a single mutliplayer map that costs $3 which is exactly how much Activision asks for. So yeah Square/Enix should just get real.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
If they made single player DLC or some sort of challenge arena against waves of dudes I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Yodzilla posted:

If they made single player DLC or some sort of challenge arena against waves of dudes I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

That, and a "story-based" co-op mission mode like in Uncharted would be awesome.

And bigger tombs, of course.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I was really hoping they'd have some sort of coop horde mode instead of a lovely PvP.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
It's kind of hilarious that they're such an inept company that even when they have a game that's a hit they literally don't even know how to capitalise on it, and end up just making dlc that noone will buy.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
But but the Call of Duties made money from their multiplayer why can't we???

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I'd absolutely buy just about any decent, reasonably priced singleplayer DLC they might release for this game, and it annoys me that they appear to be so myopically set on this multiplayer nonsense (a mode that, as far as I'm concerned, should never have been in the game to begin with). :mad:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
The DLC is planned ahead way before the release, which means somebody at SE earnestly believe that people would forget about the single player quickly and still play the tacked on stupid multiplayer. Which means that SE has some very ignorant people at very powerful positions in the corporate hierarchy.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

MMAgCh posted:

I'd absolutely buy just about any decent, reasonably priced singleplayer DLC they might release for this game, and it annoys me that they appear to be so myopically set on this multiplayer nonsense (a mode that, as far as I'm concerned, should never have been in the game to begin with). :mad:

Yeah, what the hell? Bioshock Infinite didn't need any shoehorned multiplayer.

I bet Ken Levine had to fight to keep it out of his contract, too.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Multiplayer is a proven, and fairly signficant, factor in wether or not people will buy games/DLC for those games.

It's honestly not as dumb as it looks. Just unfortunate.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dan Didio posted:

Multiplayer is a proven, and fairly signficant, factor in wether or not people will buy games/DLC for those games.

It's honestly not as dumb as it looks. Just unfortunate.

True but the multi was relatively DOA when the game came out, they have to know this, especially when the map packs don't end up selling like they want them to.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Alteisen posted:

True but the multi was relatively DOA when the game came out, they have to know this, especially when the map packs don't end up selling like they want them to.

It's far too late for them to change their DLC plans now and Square Enix probably isn't chomping at the bit to throw more money into more DLC.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I dont really think it is that crazy. People said the same thing about Uncharted 2 and that game took off. Splinter Cell also had the same complaints about the multiplayer and they ended up being good.

This was just a swing and a miss.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Speedball posted:

Yeah, what the hell? Bioshock Infinite didn't need any shoehorned multiplayer.

I bet Ken Levine had to fight to keep it out of his contract, too.

Fun fact, Bioshock had multiplayer for most of its dev cycle until they finally saw reason a year or two ago.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

blackguy32 posted:

I dont really think it is that crazy. People said the same thing about Uncharted 2 and that game took off. Splinter Cell also had the same complaints about the multiplayer and they ended up being good.
The difference is that both of those games had decent multiplayer. One thing is for a good mode not to catch on and another is to have a multiplayer mode that is just plain bad. I can't believe a developer studio doesn't realise their multiplayer mode is poo poo during testing. Tomb Raider's multi is plain bad unlike Uncharted 2's or Splinter Cell's but they still decided to pump resources into making DLC for it. That's just a bad CEO-level decision.

Also even if I pretend they somehow believed people will decide to not have fun and play it - they were fully aware of the situation the first week after release and still decided to ask Activision level $ for additional maps instead of making one pack that gathers multiplayer maps/weapons/skins and is proportionally marked down when it comes to price.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Palpek posted:

The difference is that both of those games had decent multiplayer. One thing is for a good mode not to catch on and another is to have a multiplayer mode that is just plain bad. I can't believe a developer studio doesn't realise their multiplayer mode is poo poo during testing. Tomb Raider's multi is plain bad unlike Uncharted 2's or Splinter Cell's but they still decided to pump resources into making DLC for it. That's just a bad CEO-level decision.

Also even if I pretend they somehow believed people will decide to not have fun and play it - they were fully aware of the situation the first week after release and still decided to ask Activision level $ for additional maps instead of making one pack that gathers multiplayer maps/weapons/skins and is proportionally marked down when it comes to price.

There is no way of knowing if multiplayer will be well received on release or not other than releasing a demo or a beta.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

There is no way of knowing if multiplayer will be well received on release or not other than releasing a demo or a beta.

Eh, that isn't true. Any good company would do internal testing and focus testing to at least get some idea of how it was received. Either they didn't do that (and they're morons) or their internal testing gave a completely different outcome in the real world.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
Tomb Raider's MP could be well received and ripping it up (ala ME3's), and for my part I'd still be bummed by their chosen policy, because I don't care about MP, but would certainly buy SP DLC (assuming it wasn't poo poo).

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Eh, that isn't true. Any good company would do internal testing and focus testing to at least get some idea of how it was received. Either they didn't do that (and they're morons) or their internal testing gave a completely different outcome in the real world.

Well, A game can have a multiplayer that is legitimately fun and well designed, but if it's not something people give a poo poo about it's still going to fail because not enough people will play it. I haven't played Tomb Raiders MP because when I think Tomb Raider I don't think "Death Match" but for all I know it's a perfectly good game mode. I will never know because I don't care to even try it. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snak posted:

Well, A game can have a multiplayer that is legitimately fun and well designed, but if it's not something people give a poo poo about it's still going to fail because not enough people will play it. I haven't played Tomb Raiders MP because when I think Tomb Raider I don't think "Death Match" but for all I know it's a perfectly good game mode. I will never know because I don't care to even try it. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Yeah, but if you're investing in DLC, it is because you have some reason to believe it's going to sell, even if it's cheap DLC.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
It's a shame, I'm definitely one of those people who would buy decent single player DLC for this game in a heartbeat. A new larger tomb or an extra combat area would be fun, or while I'm dreaming DLC that adds the supernatural Japanese horror-inspired monsters that got cut from the original game. Of course if multiplayer were a big hit I wouldn't be playing it; I just don't play online multiplayer games because my internet connection is spotty and I have no desire to play with strangers.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Groetgaffel posted:

And Lara actually looks like an actual human being, and not something drawn by a drunk pin-up artist! :v:

I'm not sure if this got posted here but Lara 1996 meets Lara 2013...

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Snak posted:

Well, A game can have a multiplayer that is legitimately fun and well designed, but if it's not something people give a poo poo about it's still going to fail because not enough people will play it. I haven't played Tomb Raiders MP because when I think Tomb Raider I don't think "Death Match" but for all I know it's a perfectly good game mode.
The problem isn't with people not playing a perfectly fine multiplayer mode - nobody argues this. The problem is that the mode is just bad - with terrible maps designed so that the main attraction is being spawn camped by high level players and dying over and over again. It's just laughable that for some reason the developers thought this will be the next poo poo and pumped their resources into multiplayer DLCs AND made half of the acheivements multiplayer-related which indicates that yes they thought the multi will be a big thing.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dudley posted:

I'm not sure if this got posted here but Lara 1996 meets Lara 2013...

Looking at this picture it strikes me as hilarious how little improved Lara's hair is compared to everything else.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Hair physics are *really* hard to pull off well.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I'd pay money for a DLC that allowed me to play using the TR1 Lara's model with the original animations. It would actually be a pretty sweet homage.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Mordaedil posted:

Hair physics are *really* hard to pull off well.

Also TresFX seems to be disabled in that screenshot.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Also TresFX seems to be disabled in that screenshot.

TressFX doesn't look good at all, though. I mean it looks fine in still images, but in actual motion it's like Lara's got a bunch of spaghetti hanging from her head.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

TressFX doesn't look good at all, though. I mean it looks fine in still images, but in actual motion it's like Lara's got a bunch of spaghetti hanging from her head.

They've improved the clipping and animation constraints a lot on it since the first release, so it looks somewhat more natural now. When it first launched, her hair liked to levitate and inch or two away from her skin.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Dominic White posted:

They've improved the clipping and animation constraints a lot on it since the first release, so it looks somewhat more natural now. When it first launched, her hair liked to levitate and inch or two away from her skin.

Well, with this and the fact that there's a lot of storms on the island, maybe there actually is a mundane explanation for the events on the island after all: The island is a giant Van der Graaf Generator!

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

Palpek posted:

I'd pay money for a DLC that allowed me to play using the TR1 Lara's model with the original animations. It would actually be a pretty sweet homage.

You can do this in Tomb Raider: Legend. The old blocky Lara model is an unlockable "outfit."

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

DrNutt posted:

Looking at this picture it strikes me as hilarious how little improved Lara's hair is compared to everything else.

I think the hair mesh looks vastly improved. It's no less detailed than the rest of her (except her face).

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Hakkesshu posted:

Hah, well that's the general idea with hair. Now we just need the computing power to make the noodles smaller and more numerous.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

notZaar posted:

Hah, well that's the general idea with hair. Now we just need the computing power to make the noodles smaller and more numerous.

Yeah, I thought the patched TressFX looked very nice though my computer doesn't have the ergs to run it so I only saw it in stop motion.

It does make the game look like a shampoo commercial though. 'Swimming through raw sewage and the blood of 1000 screaming sacrifices must be hard on your hair, Lara Croft - how do you keep it looking so luxurious?'

The next stage is getting it to look convincingly lanky and disgusting, I guess.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Well there's no reason to disbelieve the next 18 years won't show a similar improvement.

I always remember games looking better than they actually did, 1995 Lara was actually something of a shock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.
Has anyone had issues with saves reverting?

I've been trying to get 100% over the past week and despite seeing the autosaves at camps when I check in with my new collectibles, I've loaded my game back up twice to find out that it's dropped from 80 or so percent to 76% percent, erasing the progress of two small areas I've completed. It feels like at this rate I'm going to have to do it all in one go, because I've already gotten some of the drat collectibles three times.

This is on PC and through Steam.

• Locked thread