Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gigButt
Oct 22, 2008

Captain Apollo posted:

I actually flew with Advanced Wings out of KLOM last night. Got my first hour in a SR20.

What was the cost per hour if you dont mind...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

MrYenko posted:

My dad learned to fly at Cross Keys, and I've flown out of there a few times. Nice little airport. I don't think Lewis Flying Service is still there though... :(

No, don't think so. Think they got replaced by Philadelphia Flight Academy, and now it's "CrossWinds Flight School."

And wtf at overhead approaches if you're not actually flying a military aircraft.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFdH4zvO9Oo all i can think of is this video now with apollo glaring "give me the controls". it's even in a cirrus

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

fordan posted:

And wtf at overhead approaches if you're not actually flying a military aircraft.

The only times I've seen civilian aircraft using the overhead break properly (it's supposed to allow high speed aircraft to slow down and get configured for landing without a 10 mile final to slow down), it's been with former military aircraft (a T-38 or Mig-17) that don't slow down terribly well without the G-loading the break provides.

Every other time I've seen civilians doing an overhead break, it's been some idiot flying a homebuilt (generally while wearing a flight suit, and the aircraft often has fake military markings) trying to live out their Top Gun fantasies.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Vans RV owners are notorious for military breaks. Also for bad formation flying.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
I've never heard them referred to as an overhead approach. I've only known them as run and break approaches I also thought that they always had a 270 degree roll associated with them.

I've done a few with a friend in his rv8 and whilst they're a lot of fun I always assumed it was just something he picked up from owning some interesting military metal.

I'd never even think of doing it in something like a cirrus.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

The Slaughter posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFdH4zvO9Oo all i can think of is this video now with apollo glaring "give me the controls". it's even in a cirrus

Crappy music on the intercom and everything. This video is perfect.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Seeing P-51 Mustangs, Spitfires, and P-40's doing the overhead was the best thing about working in KISM. No one else dared try, only the T-6 Texans, you WOULD make yourself look like an rear end if you asked for it.

We used to do the overhead but in an ironic hipster way, flying BN-2 Islanders on Roosevelt Roads down in Puerto Rico. Slow rear end plane on a long rear end runway was always good for a chuckle.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I got a BA last January and I haven't decided what to do next. I have $34,000 in debt and $42,000 in cash recently inherited (to be used only for education). I want to work in aviation very much, I always have. It's the thing on the back of my mind every day; that I went to the wrong school (with no tech stuff) because it was way cheaper, and hosed up what I wanted to do all along. I just don't know what path to take at this point. I'm trying to be realistic about careers are possible after already having a BA in an unrelated field (english). I'm considering pursuing an two year applied science degree for air traffic control, or electronics or something.. anything really. Advice would be much appreciated, obviously I'm pretty open to suggestion. The thing is, I had a lot of outside stresses the first three years at school and only managed to scrape a 2.3 gpa.... I won't make it into any masters program.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
What is your ultimate career goal? I'm not sure how more school is going to help you.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

ethanol posted:

I got a BA last January and I haven't decided what to do next. I have $34,000 in debt and $42,000 in cash recently inherited (to be used only for education). I want to work in aviation very much, I always have. It's the thing on the back of my mind every day; that I went to the wrong school (with no tech stuff) because it was way cheaper, and hosed up what I wanted to do all along. I just don't know what path to take at this point. I'm trying to be realistic about careers are possible after already having a BA in an unrelated field (english). I'm considering pursuing an two year applied science degree for air traffic control, or electronics or something.. anything really. Advice would be much appreciated, obviously I'm pretty open to suggestion. The thing is, I had a lot of outside stresses the first three years at school and only managed to scrape a 2.3 gpa.... I won't make it into any masters program.

It seems like most aviation jobs are a fast track to debt.

ATC is a great job IF YOU CAN GET IT. Despite what the colleges tell you to get your money, getting hired by the FAA is basically a lottery and more people who paid big money for those degrees wont get hired than will. Dont let that discourage you if thats what you want to do.

Being a mechanic might be a good path, because there will ALWAYS be a demand for A&Ps and you cant age out of that.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

kmcormick9 posted:

ATC is a great job IF YOU CAN GET IT. Despite what the colleges tell you to get your money, getting hired by the FAA is basically a lottery and more people who paid big money for those degrees wont get hired than will. Dont let that discourage you if thats what you want to do.

Definitely this. I've told anyone that's asked about a CTI school to go to the one that costs the least amount of money. Nothing like blowing 6 figures on an ERAU degree only to fail out of the academy in OKC.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 11, 2013

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

Definitely this. I've told anyone that's asked about a CTI school to go to the one that costs the least amount of money. Nothing like blowing 6 figures on an ERAU degree only to fail out of the academy in OKC.

Or not get selected at all.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I'd love to start doing ATC instead of the industry that I'm in now, but the whole moving around thing kills it for me. Especially since I just moved and don't want to move again for a while. Unless there is a magical way you can guarantee a specific location/region.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

Infinotize posted:

I'd love to start doing ATC instead of the industry that I'm in now, but the whole moving around thing kills it for me. Especially since I just moved and don't want to move again for a while. Unless there is a magical way you can guarantee a specific location/region.

When you apply, they ask you to choose 2 states you would want to work in. You can just choose 1 but that would half your chances of getting hired on that panel

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

That's exactly the reason I am not jumping into an ATC school, I don't want to waste my time or money on something that ends up being a lottery. That's also why I never seriously considered joining the military, even though I dreamed of being a military pilot growing up. I just love flight, and the intricate machines that make it possible, and I would love to put that passion into some sort of career... any career. One thing to consider is that I do not mind moving around at all, I have already left the east coast for the west, I don't have any roots in the ground anymore.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 11, 2013

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Just out of curiosity, where's the most money in ATC, working at a TRACON or a center? Is it just the centers that are deep underground bunkers or is that the TRACON too?

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

kmcormick9 posted:

When you apply, they ask you to choose 2 states you would want to work in. You can just choose 1 but that would half your chances of getting hired on that panel

Huh that makes it interesting for a crapshoot. Although I just moved to NYC, really that leaves the metro area and long island, since plenty of places in state would be way too far away.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Slaughter posted:

Just out of curiosity, where's the most money in ATC, working at a TRACON or a center? Is it just the centers that are deep underground bunkers or is that the TRACON too?

It all depends on what level the facility is and the locality pay for the area. I think Houston Center is probably as good as it gets since I believe they're a level 12 and somehow get the maximum locality pay.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
It would be IAH Tower and I90 - Houston Approach, for Texas. They're both level 12s while Houston Center is an 11. The tower and TRACON are located in richy rich parts of Houston, and enjoy an extremely high locality pay adjustment.

New York has a higher locality percentage, at least in the last couple years it did. So New York Center would pay more, slightly, than the houston terminal facilities. As would N90 - New York TRACON.

San Fransisco has a much higher locality than either of the above regions, but no level 12 facilities (12 being the highest paid/highest workload).

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

This link has good specific information about ATC pay bands, locality rates, and lists the various facility levels (but is dated by a few years).

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Spanish ATC were on upto $1'232'000 a year. Until their country ran into a brick wall.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

Infinotize posted:

Huh that makes it interesting for a crapshoot. Although I just moved to NYC, really that leaves the metro area and long island, since plenty of places in state would be way too far away.

New York Center and Tracon are both understaffed. Both are on Long Island. Theres also several airports in that vicinity (Kennedy, Laguardia, Westchester, Islip, ETC.) You could put New York and New Jersey and possibly get Newark or Teterboro too.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Colonel K posted:

Spanish ATC were on upto $1'232'000 a year. Until their country ran into a brick wall.

A couple of them made that, because they worked all 365 days that year. The overtime adds up quickly.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

kmcormick9 posted:

New York Center and Tracon are both understaffed. Both are on Long Island. Theres also several airports in that vicinity (Kennedy, Laguardia, Westchester, Islip, ETC.) You could put New York and New Jersey and possibly get Newark or Teterboro too.

Wow I figured that area would be overstaffed, if anything! Doesn't look like there is anywhere to actually apply for ATC jobs at the moment. Looks like it is all done through the horror of USAJOBS and jobs.faa and there are no postings, due to sequestration perhaps?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Infinotize posted:

Wow I figured that area would be overstaffed, if anything! Doesn't look like there is anywhere to actually apply for ATC jobs at the moment. Looks like it is all done through the horror of USAJOBS and jobs.faa and there are no postings, due to sequestration perhaps?

It must be incredibly disappointing to complete your training for atc or get out of the military with thousands of hours of control experience and then go to the FAA website and see 'no jobs available".

So where would I go if I wanted to learn about how to work on aircraft?

ethanol fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 11, 2013

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ethanol posted:

Here.

Slightly less sarcastically (only slightly,) look around your general area for a community college with a vocational program. Part 147 training is generally offered as part of an A.A.S degree, and takes roughly four semesters, depending on your previous college coursework.

Do NOT give Embry Riddle or some other big name university $75,000 for an A&P and a nearly-worthless degree. Experience and good references are everything in aviation maintenance. Those big-university graduates are just as clueless as you will be when you finish, but are also in debt. For reference, it cost me ~$6000 at my local community college, plus the going rate for the two O&P exams (Oral and Practical, the maintenance equivalent of a checkride,) back in 2004-05. (The O&Ps were $500 each, IIRC)

Think long and hard on it, though; You're not going to get rich as a mechanic, the hours suck, there's a solid chance you'll be a "Full time contractor" so that your sleazy employer doesn't have to pay taxes on you, you WILL move around to follow work, you WILL end up in the rear end end of nowhere as a flight mechanic with nothing but a belt loader and a leatherman, trying to get the airplane legal to fly out of whatever shithole you're stuck in, and you WILL get laid off, probably more than once in your career. That said, they paid me a rather decent wage to play with great big jets every night...

:smuggo:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

An Idiot posted this.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

How much of the day do you spend looking at a manual wondering what the gently caress?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ethanol posted:

How much of the day do you spend looking at a manual wondering what the gently caress?

Almost none. You spend most of the day looking at your supervisor and asking why the gently caress they won't let you/buy the equipment required to allow you to do it like the manufacturer says you should.

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."

fordan posted:

No, don't think so. Think they got replaced by Philadelphia Flight Academy, and now it's "CrossWinds Flight School."

When I was an instructor on WMUs Extra 300Ls we would use an overhead because to slow to pattern speed in that thing ment you basically lost 45 degrees of forward vision and would still overtake a C172 or other GA single. Also financially for the student it helped them out because we could dive back in from the practice area at near red line hit the IP fast and from IP to touchdown wouldn't be for then 3 minutes versus plodding in a wide pattern at $280(back in 2005) an hour. Also couple in the supremely horrible glide ratio of anything with a thick symmetrical airfoil it's much safer.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ferris Bueller posted:

When I was an instructor on WMUs Extra 300Ls we would use an overhead because to slow to pattern speed in that thing ment you basically lost 45 degrees of forward vision and would still overtake a C172 or other GA single. Also financially for the student it helped them out because we could dive back in from the practice area at near red line hit the IP fast and from IP to touchdown wouldn't be for then 3 minutes versus plodding in a wide pattern at $280(back in 2005) an hour. Also couple in the supremely horrible glide ratio of anything with a thick symmetrical airfoil it's much safer.

Extras are a lot more similar to military aircraft in performance and general characteristics than they are to most GA aircraft...

Also, I want your (old) job. That sounds like a loving blast.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

fknlo posted:

It all depends on what level the facility is and the locality pay for the area. I think Houston Center is probably as good as it gets since I believe they're a level 12 and somehow get the maximum locality pay.

Yeah, isn't the cost of living in Houston not that bad also?

But yeah, all depends on facility level. There ARE towers in the 10/11/12 range. I'd prefer to be working in one of those, but hey, none that pay this well where I want to be. :P

ethanol posted:

It must be incredibly disappointing to complete your training for atc or get out of the military with thousands of hours of control experience and then go to the FAA website and see 'no jobs available".

This is definitely a thing. I know a lot of guys that used to be controllers in the military but are now just doing flight data because they didn't get hired in time before their 31st birthday with the FAA. It took me three years to get picked up, but that is mostly due to some bumble gently caress in OKC HR loving up with my resume, yet telling me for two years everything was OK.

Basically, make the decision as early as you can in your life to try to get hired so you have some breathing room between then and your 31st.

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 13, 2013

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Yeah, isn't the cost of living in Houston not that bad also?

But yeah, all depends on facility level. There ARE towers in the 10/11/12 range. I'd prefer to be working in one of those, but hey, none that pay this well where I want to be. :P

Last I heard, the level 9/10/11/12 terminal facilities weren't taking new hires, anyway, just CPC transfers from lower-level towers. Apparently their washout rate on new hires was astronomical.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

MrYenko posted:

Last I heard, the level 9/10/11/12 terminal facilities weren't taking new hires, anyway, just CPC transfers from lower-level towers. Apparently their washout rate on new hires was astronomical.

Seeing how even just lower level terminal facilities work, this doesn't surprise me a single bit in regards to the wash out rate. To be honest I agree they shouldn't take new hires. You'd be a fool to subject yourself to the risk of failing the training program at a high level terminal facility starting out, unless you had SERIOUS prior military experience.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Well, the stars aligned and I got another flight. Last flight was November, and boy was I rusty. The fact that the airfield went from dead calm 20nm to 15G25 3nm in less than an hour had me spooked a bit, and that didn't help any. Solid layer of dust up to about 4kAGL made visibility right at VFR minimums.

But it's seat time, which I need. Once I'm comfortable in the a/c again, I get my solo endorsement back, then it's just hours until checkride! WOOO!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Anybody have any experience in crew scheduling/dispatch/flight following? I did a job shadow thing in high school in NetJets' operations department at CMH in 2005 and it opened my eyes to another world in airline/aviation ops, but was a small sample size. I'd just be looking for a general idea as to what work environments were like and if it was a worthwhile place to be in aviation or if it's a "turn and run" type deal.

ethanol posted:

As I said in the last thread, I talked to a gate agent at DAB about three weeks ago who was a recent ERAU grad with an ATC degree. Had been hired/offered training to become a controller (however it works), only to have the offer yanked due to sequestration. He's currently doing stuff with the guard alongside working the ramp.

The community college from which I graduated has an A&P program which seems to be well-liked among the students. I think you could do it in six quarters (before Ohio changed to semesters).

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 15, 2013

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

Anybody have any experience in crew scheduling/dispatch/flight following? I did a job shadow thing in high school in NetJets' operations department at CMH in 2005 and it opened my eyes to another world in airline/aviation ops, but was a small sample size. I'd just be looking for a general idea as to what work environments were like and if it was a worthwhile place to be in aviation or if it's a "turn and run" type deal.

My wife is a dispatcher for a 121 carrier and has dispatched/flight-followed for an international cargo carrier as well. I would be happy to forward any questions to her if you's like.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
I never knew there was such a negative connotation for overhead patterns. I'm totally gonna be doing them in my rented Cessna 152.

FULL SPEED AHEAD!

*hits 90 knots*

edit: what about requesting closed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

two_beer_bishes posted:

My wife is a dispatcher for a 121 carrier and has dispatched/flight-followed for an international cargo carrier as well. I would be happy to forward any questions to her if you's like.

Thanks. If I think of any specific ones, I'll be sure to pass them along.

• Locked thread