Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rena
Aug 21, 2012

"Things are...disasterrific."
We don't know the timeline yet, it's one of the overall story mysteries that we don't have much data to go off yet.

And beaten several times. What I get for slow typing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

fool_of_sound posted:

We don't have anything explicit, but it wouldn't make much sense. The students all entered the Academy before MonoWorld happened, so they would have to have been kept unconscious/in stasis/mindwiped for the entire period, and would probably be showing signs of age if it were more than a year or two.

Do we know that for certain? What if Monoworld only lasted a year or two, society rebuilt, and however many years later they went to Hope's Peak?

Also, remember how the first game ended with ambiguity - if they wanted the viewer to see Monoworld, they would have shown it. Now, they either didn't show it because the door opening is enough of an ending (and it fits the whole "hope" idea), or because they didn't want us to know for certain whether or not there even was a Monoworld. I mean, consider just how much other stuff Junk was able to accomplish. Monoworld footage wouldn't have been all too hard in comparison.

Again though, just speculating for speculations sake

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Calico Heart posted:

Do we know that for certain? What if Monoworld only lasted a year or two, society rebuilt, and however many years later they went to Hope's Peak?

Also, remember how the first game ended with ambiguity - if they wanted the viewer to see Monoworld, they would have shown it. Now, they either didn't show it because the door opening is enough of an ending (and it fits the whole "hope" idea), or because they didn't want us to know for certain whether or not there even was a Monoworld. I mean, consider just how much other stuff Junk was able to accomplish. Monoworld footage wouldn't have been all too hard in comparison.

Again though, just speculating for speculations sake

That's possible I guess, but if MonoWorld disappeared in the interval, you would think that the students would recognize Monobear's face (it was everywhere, after all), so that's unlikely, barring memory shenanigans again. If MonoWorld was nothing but a myth constructed by Junko, it seems odd that se would be able to take over the Academy without anyone noticing or caring, so again, unlikely.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

fool_of_sound posted:

That's possible I guess, but if MonoWorld disappeared in the interval, you would think that the students would recognize Monobear's face (it was everywhere, after all), so that's unlikely, barring memory shenanigans again. If MonoWorld was nothing but a myth constructed by Junko, it seems odd that se would be able to take over the Academy without anyone noticing or caring, so again, unlikely.

Well, memory shenanigans are always an option. She did say she had installed huge guns on the outside of the school, so who knows, maybe Monoworld was bullshit but the defense guns weren't. I mean, Togami in this game seriously looked no older than the Togami of DR1. Keep in mind if they did all have their memories wiped of two years at Hope's Peak, that would mean a further two years on top of Togami's age. Plus, you know, time to put on weight.

It'll be really interesting to see how they try and write themselves out of Monoworld/incorporate it into the plot.

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 16, 2013

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

grandalt posted:

And we can certainly say that Nagito is completely insane. I wonder what the students are going to do with this nutjob?

Have you ever played the game 'Kill Dr. Lucky'?

... yeah. Bastard's probably going to stick around for a while.

LambdaDelta
Feb 22, 2012
Even with the references to Leon's execution (the neck chain grab thing), I can't help but relate this more to Mondo's execution. The way you really feel bad for the character right before they die, plus it's almost another case of "ended up killing".

I dunno, I got a similar feeling of pity towards Hanamura and Mondo.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Calico Heart posted:

So, today I finally caught up with this thread. Today will be the first day in about three weeks I haven't read a Dangan Ronpa update :negative:

Forgive is this has been questioned before, but... do we know how long after DR1 DR2 is? I'm just wondering because if it's like, 20 years later, that could have been Togami Jr that got stabbed. I know, silly idea, but when I first saw that fella, that was the first thing that came into my head. Maybe I just wasn't paying close enough attention.

It's worth pointing out that DR2 Togami has EXACTLY the same height as DR1 Togami. Right down to the centimeter. Same name, same height, same behaviors, same basic appearance in a lot of ways plus or minus some morbid obesity - odds are this is in fact our very own Togami.

Of course, he could have been cloned. Or digitally duplicated. Or some other wildly insane poo poo, but he's still probably Togami.

Common Coder
Jul 25, 2012

NextTime000 posted:

we don't know. for all we know it could be the very next day

Well, I don't know about that. It would be incredibly impressive if Togami gained all that weight in a single day.

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Full of hot raspberry jam blooded passion.

Falls Down Stairs posted:

This is from before the update so it got buried, but I'm like 99% sure that if I didn't state someone's SHSL title directly in the summary, we were never told it. Ryouko and Madarai we've seen in action, but we don't know what field those skills were meant to be applied to. Kamukura we obviously know nothing about.

Well that explains why I couldn't find the titles, thank you.

I hope you keep the summary updated. I started reading DR0 with your summary as a cliff notes and it's helpful.

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013
Talking about similarities to DR1 first case, Nanami's theory reminded me of Kirigiri's words about that maybe Maizono wrote "11037" to save Naegi, not because she wanted revenge on Leon, though in this case Nanami's theory is basically implausible, there hasn't been shown anything that would suggest that Togami saw someone under the floor and this was his train of thought.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

DiabloCthulhu posted:

Talking about similarities to DR1 first case, Nanami's theory reminded me of Kirigiri's words about that maybe Maizono wrote "11037" to save Naegi, not because she wanted revenge on Leon, though in this case Nanami's theory is basically implausible, there hasn't been shown anything that would suggest that Togami saw someone under the floor and this was his train of thought.

Yeah, I noticed that similarity as well. Though, interestingly enough, Kirigiri admitted that she was merely speculating, while Nanami says that she's certain of what Togami was thinking.

Kokiyas
Mar 28, 2013
That video was pretty brutal - I assumed that something related to either the cookery or Hanamura's lechery would come up but seeing him fried alive was still a surprise.

Where I live, deep-frying is more associated with burger bars than 'real' cooking and it's thought-of as being pretty low-class - definitely the sort of thing a SHSL chef wouldn't be caught dead doing. Is Monobear taking the opportunity to drive the metaphorical knife in a little further about Hanamura's attempts to seem classier than he really is, like when he undercut Celes' romantic death scene, or am I reading too much into things?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Thing is, assuming Togami remembers anything from DR1, he'd KNOW what happens once a corpse shows up. It would have made more sense for him to do like others had suggested: Get out of the way, and sort things out later. Dying would only get the Despair-Murder ball rolling.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Super High-school Level Super High-school Level Fanboy is now my favourite Super High-school Level.

This was a great trial, even though the murder itself was farfetched. Characters are actually actors in DR2, where DR1's cast was mainly ... well ... cardboard cutouts during the trials, beside 3 people.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

LambdaDelta posted:

Even with the references to Leon's execution (the neck chain grab thing), I can't help but relate this more to Mondo's execution. The way you really feel bad for the character right before they die, plus it's almost another case of "ended up killing".

I dunno, I got a similar feeling of pity towards Hanamura and Mondo.

Hanamura I'm iffy on, but Mondo gets none of my sympathy. Anyone who violently beats a little girl to death (Okay, his gender was male, but he had the physical strength and timidness of a little girl) out of petty jealousy and shame deserves nothing. Especially considering he was perfectly willing to go with "Yeah, it was Sho/Togami!" and doom everyone else to death. Mondo was a major rear end in a top hat.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

... Is it just me or was that execution significantly less physically possible than anything in the first game, even if you ignore that volcanoes don't work that way? Summoning a giant flour bomb out of thin air somehow and so on. Monobear seems to be outright magic this time around.

Plus Monomi literally turning a farm animal into a cow before our characters' eyes and there's something really weird going on here.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Zereth posted:

... Is it just me or was that execution significantly less physically possible than anything in the first game, even if you ignore that volcanoes don't work that way? Summoning a giant flour bomb out of thin air somehow and so on. Monobear seems to be outright magic this time around.

Plus Monomi literally turning a farm animal into a cow before our characters' eyes and there's something really weird going on here.

Less realistic than Mondo being turned into butter? :raise:

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Calico Heart posted:

Hanamura I'm iffy on, but Mondo gets none of my sympathy. Anyone who violently beats a little girl to death (Okay, his gender was male, but he had the physical strength and timidness of a little girl) out of petty jealousy and shame deserves nothing. Especially considering he was perfectly willing to go with "Yeah, it was Syo/Togami!" and doom everyone else to death. Mondo was a major rear end in a top hat.

That was basically how I felt about Mondo Cool after the trial. Well, I could kind of sympathize with accidently killing Chihiro, but he was trying to pin the blame on someone else and doom the rest of his classmates. However, he isn't much different from Hanamura in the respect or any other murderer (with the exception of Leon and Maizono). It's not fair to dislike Mondo more. With the exception of the first murder in Dangan Ronpa, none of the victims had a chance to fight back.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

DaveWoo posted:

Less realistic than Mondo being turned into butter? :raise:
He got obscured during that, there might have been something going on there.

Monobear just straight up pulled a bomb bigger than his helicopter out of thin air somehow in this one.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zereth posted:

Monobear just straight up pulled a bomb bigger than his helicopter out of thin air somehow in this one.

A reminder that in the last game Junko went through every execution method consecutively before finally dying. The first one was pretty content with going crazy when it wanted to.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

GrizzlyCow posted:

That was basically how I felt about Mondo Cool after the trial. Well, I could kind of sympathize with accidently killing Chihiro, but he was trying to pin the blame on someone else and doom the rest of his classmates. However, he isn't much different from Hanamura in the respect or any other murderer (with the exception of Leon and Maizono). It's not fair to dislike Mondo more. With the exception of the first murder in Dangan Ronpa, none of the victims had a chance to fight back.

I think it's just the nature of how incredibly defenseless Chihiro was, and how violently they were killed on top of that. Hanamura, I think, had a whole lot of confusing and conflicting motivations going on inside his head. On the one hand, he wanted to go home, on the other, he wanted to know if he even had a home to go to, he wanted to stop the already planned murder - and he probably figured that like Kaneada (?) said, he was going to kill someone anyway. Mondo, on the other hand, got angry and beat someone to death.

Zereth posted:

There was a firetruck hidden in the school. And a conveyer belt leading to a smooshing device. Oh, and a spaceship.

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

TheKingofSprings posted:

A reminder that in the last game Junko went through every execution method consecutively before finally dying. The first one was pretty content with going crazy when it wanted to.

Yeah, and that's only the executions we actually saw. The unused ones from the visual fanbook are much nuttier.

Alberenza
Mar 28, 2013

Calico Heart posted:

Hanamura I'm iffy on, but Mondo gets none of my sympathy. Anyone who violently beats a little girl to death (Okay, his gender was male, but he had the physical strength and timidness of a little girl) out of petty jealousy and shame deserves nothing. Especially considering he was perfectly willing to go with "Yeah, it was Sho/Togami!" and doom everyone else to death. Mondo was a major rear end in a top hat.

I would say that Mondo with the possible exception of Hanamura is probably one of the nicest killers, as nice as a killer can be anyway.
He switched various items in the rooms around specifically so that he could hide Chihiro's gender and fool everyone into continuing to believe he was female, and even during the trial he was the quickest to crack outside of Hagakure during trial 4, albeit Hagakure didn't know that he wasn't the murderer. Ishimaru defended Mondo to the death even after the climax interference, refusing to vote for him, even as Mondo was resigning to his fate.
Mondo just stayed quiet during the entire time and didn't fight back when they pinpointed him with the evidence, Ishimaru did, that guy was pretty much suffering a moral breakdown. Everyone else even Leon and Hanamura who were great cases of 'accidental murder' got incredibly defensive and angry, just as much as Celes who so far has been the only one to murder out of pure selfish desire.

I'm sure it could be argued both ways, I mean unlike Maizono Chihiro had no intention of fighting back so that's pretty despicable, but that's the way I see it anyway.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That execution was certainly something. I went from "Missiles? That's pretty dull." to "Oh he's gonna feed him to sharks, that makes a bit more sense." to "loving poo poo, A VOLCANO!?" in the span of about 30 seconds. Trial was good, but I really am gonna dislike Komaeda in the coming trials, because anything the group does that isn't tying him up to a post so he can't do anything is going to be the wrong decision.

Also, that was some funky rear end music that was playing in the pre-execution sequence, is someone able to link that or is the title a spoiler or something?

sugarlegalguardian
Dec 26, 2012
They did a hell of a job stepping up the animation for this execution; I am suddenly more confident in the possibility of a good-looking anime. I love how even when everything else turns 3-D, Hanamura remains deliberately flat; character sprites are 2-D, that's their story and they're sticking to it.

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

Alberenza posted:

I would say that Mondo with the possible exception of Hanamura is probably one of the nicest killers, as nice as a killer can be anyway.

I have a lot of sympathy for Mondo. Of all the murderers we've seen - Leon, Mondo, Yamada, Celes, Hanamura - he's the only one who had no intention of killing beforehand; maybe on some level he was looking for an excuse to murder someone, because he was terrified of his secret getting out, but it's pretty clear that he wasn't actively planning to kill Chihiro. Chihiro was killed by a single blow in a flash of anger. Mondo obviously regretted what he'd done immediately, considering that his actions immediately after the murder were to protect Chihiro's secret - risking leaving evidence in the process - rather than to protect himself, but the moment that first blow landed it was too late for regret to do any good. In the end, he quietly accepted his punishment. None of this makes what he did acceptable, and of course he wasn't noble enough to save the others by confessing, but I do think it counts for something.

This trial has been incredible. I can't imagine how anyone's going to interact with Komaeda from now on, but I'm looking forward immensely to finding out.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

Zereth posted:

On the other hand, we've only seen Hanamura get pulled out of the room this time, the rest was only seen on the giant iPad monitor. So, hooray for CG!

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Rith posted:

I have a lot of sympathy for Mondo. Of all the murderers we've seen - Leon, Mondo, Yamada, Celes, Hanamura - he's the only one who had no intention of killing beforehand; maybe on some level he was looking for an excuse to murder someone, because he was terrified of his secret getting out, but it's pretty clear that he wasn't actively planning to kill Chihiro. Chihiro was killed by a single blow in a flash of anger. Mondo obviously regretted what he'd done immediately, considering that his actions immediately after the murder were to protect Chihiro's secret - risking leaving evidence in the process - rather than to protect himself, but the moment that first blow landed it was too late for regret to do any good. In the end, he quietly accepted his punishment. None of this makes what he did acceptable, and of course he wasn't noble enough to save the others by confessing, but I do think it counts for something.

This trial has been incredible. I can't imagine how anyone's going to interact with Komaeda from now on, but I'm looking forward immensely to finding out.

That is the nicest spin to put on the whole thing. Of course, another way to look at it is Mondo regretted killing Chihiro but tried to obscure the crime scene. Anyone who doesn't confess to their crime is attempting to murderer the rest of the class. Mondo knew this. Mondo killed a person, but he didn't have the guts to come clean. At his age, he should have better control of himself.

GrizzlyCow fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 16, 2013

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

GrizzlyCow posted:

That is the nicest spin to put on the whole thing. Of course, another way to look at it is Mondo regretted killing Chihiro but tried to obscure the crime scene. Anyone who doesn't confess to their crime is attempting to murderer the rest of the class. Mondo knew this. Mondo killed a person, but he didn't have the guts to come clean. At his age, he should have better control of himself.

Mondo's whole schtick was that he was a coward. He killed Chihiro because he was brave, while Mondo just let his brother die saving him and then took over the gang (albeit with no small amount of shame). The machine gun battle o the trial doesn't even have Mondo defend himself, it has Ishida do it for him.

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013

DaveWoo posted:

Though, interestingly enough, Kirigiri admitted that she was merely speculating, while Nanami says that she's certain of what Togami was thinking.
Yeah, I noticed that too, and that also was a bit weird, considering that so far Nanami was reasonable. In attempt to explain why she suddenly brought up such implausible theory (and was being certain about it) I even for a second started thinking that maybe she somehow with Nagito (or have her own despair-related agenda) :tinfoil:. I mean, dying trying to protect crazy almost-murderer Nagito from death is sure more despair-inducing than just dying trying to prevent murder, right?

Regardless, I think there's also interesting contrast between these two situations: Kirigiri said that stuff about Maizono to Naegi so he wouldn't lose hope (that's how I interpreted that scene, at least), while here Nanami's lines, as I said, create a little bit more despair.

Orenronen, is it okay to bring up birthdays of characters from DR1? As far as I know, they're not posted in the DR1 thread, but I remember people wishing happy birthdays there.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

GrizzlyCow posted:

Why, yes, teenagers should indeed have better control of themselves and willingly agree to their own deaths!

Self-sacrifice may be the moral thing to do, but why is anyone assuming that moral courage, particularly when it comes to your own friggin' death, is ever easy? Half the reason why making a moral stand is respected at all is because it's so drat hard to come up to scratch when your number is called. Not everyone can pull a Sakura.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

GrizzlyCow posted:

While Mondo did obscure the crime scene, it wasn't so much out of a desire to cover his tracks as it was to keep Chihiro's secret hidden, even in death. By doing so he probably left more clues that it was him than if he had just left the crime scene alone.

It's not like Togami, who hosed with the crime scene purely for shits and giggles.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I never understood why they even gave Mondo the whole big brother back story, he didn't need it. A much easier ending would be to say that Mondo was overcome when Chihiro revealed hImself and wanted to protect him from Monobear revealing his secret, so he killed him. That would make sense to a stressed out teenager in the middle of Japan's answer to the hunger games.

I might actually say the fry pot death was the most gruesome, just because I don't think I cold ever stand being fried alive. (Not that I'd actually want to be pelted with baseballs or anything.)

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Just for reference, if he was fried in oil and not lava, it's being dipped into 350-400 degree burning, scalding liquid. He definitely felt part of it :smith:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Bean posted:

Japan's answer to the hunger games.

Japan's answer to The Hunger Games actually predates it by 12 years.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I would respond to that with the assertion that DR might have slightly more in common with Hunger Games than it does with Battle Royale, but that's also pretty unfair to all series, so let's just go with the idea that they're three very different things with the loose similarity of teenagers forced to kill each other.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
The whole Most Dangerous Game (With Teenagers) thing is hardly limited to those two things anyway. Hell there was another popular anime series just last year that had a similar set up, it's a fairly established genre at this point

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
What is the earliest instance of groups of teenagers being forced to kill each other? It would be nice whenever someone brings up Battle Royale to just go 'actually...'

I really liked how they kept up the paper cutouts during Hanamura being carried to the volcano. Seeing his 2d portrait swinging in the wind was a very nice effect.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
In DR1 we didn't really get a lot of new info about characters after they died, did we? They obviously need to expand more on Togami, because he's the elephant in the room in regards to the connection between the first game and this one. I'm just curious how we'll learn more about him, or maybe they will be total dicks and we'll never ever know and we'll have to rely on Tumblr to write fanfiction to explain it.

They did a good job of making the first execution hurt, though. We haven't spent a lot of time with the characters but we were given a lot of reasons to really feel bad for Hanamura. Maybe they'll assign someone to guard Komeda at all times or something, I don't know how they're going to handle him. Tie him up and keep him fed/watered so he doesn't die?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Gensuki posted:

What is the earliest instance of groups of teenagers being forced to kill each other? It would be nice whenever someone brings up Battle Royale to just go 'actually...'

I really liked how they kept up the paper cutouts during Hanamura being carried to the volcano. Seeing his 2d portrait swinging in the wind was a very nice effect.

Actually...:goonsay: "The Hunger Games" has more in common with Stephen King's (under the pen name Richard Bachman) "The Long Walk" published in 1979. It's a story about how the government of the US holds a contest every year where 100 applicants from around the country participate in a national pass time where participants start walking from Maine and keep walking until one person is left standing. You can get strikes for slowing down below a certain speed or touching other participants and once you get three strikes you get a bullet in the brain. Winning the game allows you to make one with that the US government will fulfill no matter what it is.

The problem with trying to compare "Battle Royale" with "The Hunger Games" is that the only thing both works of fiction have in common is the theme of Kids/Young Adults being forced to kill each other. Outside of that element, both works are trying to tell different stories and deal with different interpretations human nature and social politics.

• Locked thread