Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Jeremy Gaffney has a Q&A thread going on the Wildstar-Central fansite. It is mostly about the leaked patch notes. He seems pretty cool and refreshingly honest compared to most people in charge of MMOs. Let's hope that lasts. Some interesting bits:

Jeremy Gaffney on non-US people getting into beta posted:

We intend to eventually include all habitable countries into various phases of beta, and also Australia.

We won't necessarily colocate servers in all areas though (sometimes we'll be testing latency). Our intent is not to exclude, though. Mostly we'll be removing current restrictions if nothing else.

A note: later stages of beta are about two things: Hitting new peak concurrency ratings (to see what systems break) and building hype (well, all stages are also about feedback). We weren't really trying to build hype up yet, just get enough buzz to have a well-populated beta (hype comes later). So we accidentally got 220K+ beta applicants. Woops.

So sorry for disappointments on not being in this early stage beta, we weren't trying to hook you in - doing so was "friendly fire". We only were shooting for like 20K applicants, that would have been fine for now.
Built-in threat meters?

on threat posted:

I'll speak to this philosophically: If [threat is] a big part of the gameplay it'll be part of the default UI (at least when you're in a group/raid). The exact role of it is being tuned as we do more elder game tests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

Midrena posted:

For a lot of people, I believe it's due to NCSoft shutting City of Heroes down.

Culmination of things. The way they shut down COH, what they did to Richard Garriot, and general poo poo treatment of their customers.

They faked Garriot signing away paperwork while he was IN SPACE. Cost him millions and millions of dollars. They shut down CoH without warning, even though it was making a profit, and then they REFUSED to sell it to anyone to let it live. What did they do? Offer people bullshit to play their other new games. They didn't even give the awesome awesome dev team at CoH a real heads up they were shutting them down. They were literally about to push a bunch of new content when they got the word.

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

For me, it is both City of Heroes, and how Nexon seems to be behind the steering wheel more often than any ideas from Guild Wars 1 in Guild Wars 2.

That's not to say I won't be holding up a fistful of dollars, Fry style, if reports from beta are good. Since beta is a ways off, however, I'm going to engage in nerdly righteous indignation.

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.

Midrena posted:

For a lot of people, I believe it's due to NCSoft shutting City of Heroes down.

Not just the shutdown itself, but they're refusing to sell or lease City of Heroes. We know there have been studios trying to buy CoH but NCsoft just stonewalls everyone. For some reason NCsoft is actually working to keep CoH dead, its pretty lovely.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Midrena posted:

There was a beta patch notes leak that happened a day or two ago. Carbine decided to run with it and has officially posted those beta patch notes themselves! Of the incident, and the reason they are putting the patch notes up, they say:

Which I think is a pretty cool thing, as it gives people stuff to chew on and discuss (or maybe that's a bad thing :v:). The notes are quite long and there's a ton of stuff in a number of areas, including classes.

Official link to the patch notes: http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/m30_patch_notes.php
Thats a pretty awesome way to handle a leak, spoil the fun for the leaker.

Midrena
May 2, 2009

grrarg posted:

Jeremy Gaffney has a Q&A thread going on the Wildstar-Central fansite. It is mostly about the leaked patch notes. He seems pretty cool and refreshingly honest compared to most people in charge of MMOs.

I really liked the responses, too.

Also, here's a thread for easier access to all Carbine answers: Compiled Q&A

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
I was hoping to find a beta invite in my email. No such luck. :eng99:

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Thanks for compiled answers dats cool. Can op update thread with our irc channel?

Merope
Apr 19, 2010

Smurf it up

Midrena posted:

I really liked the responses, too.

Also, here's a thread for easier access to all Carbine answers: Compiled Q&A

Anyone know what's the class that they leaked? <Redacted> appears a few times in those answers, it felt like the devs slipped up about a new class. Maybe it showed in the patch notes as well but I only peaked through them.

VVV I was underestimating these devs, I like them even more now.

Merope fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 16, 2013

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Merope posted:

Anyone know what's the class that they leaked? <Redacted> appears a few times in those answers, it felt like the devs slipped up about a new class. Maybe it showed in the patch notes as well but I only peaked through them.

They posted <REDACTED> originally, they're just teasing people.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
It's bunny/guinea pigs and cyborg dinosaurs.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Has anyone noticed the 7th race in the Race Page banner yet?
http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/the-game/races/

Looks like the Exile's Race is a Metal Head Cyborg.

e: Maybe not?

Lemon King fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 16, 2013

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
Looks sort of like a female draken?

We've already learned that the last two races are furry gremlin things (Dominion) and undead zombie/robot things (Exile).

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Pawl posted:

Looks sort of like a female draken?

We've already learned that the last two races are furry gremlin things (Dominion) and undead zombie/robot things (Exile).

I thought in the AMA thing they said people who believed the zombie things were a player race would be disappointed? Unless they were just trying to throw off suspicion or something.

Midrena
May 2, 2009

Lemon King posted:

Looks like the Exile's Race is a Metal Head Cyborg.
That's the Mechari.

quote:

races pic

Nah, that's Granok, female Aurin, female Human/Cassian, Mechari, male Aurin, Draken, male Human.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Catsworth posted:

I thought in the AMA thing they said people who believed the zombie things were a player race would be disappointed? Unless they were just trying to throw off suspicion or something.

Once again, they have a goddamn zombie arm in the thumbs-up group shot in the Exiles trailer. They're covering their rear end after telegraphing too much.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Midrena posted:

That's the Mechari.
I meant the one to the right of the Mechari, but it didn't look like an Aurin because of the lack of ears.

Midrena
May 2, 2009

Lemon King posted:

I meant the one to the right of the Mechari, but it didn't look like an Aurin because of the lack of ears.

Yeah, I understand. Aurin have a ton of different ear styles, though (I was relieved the day I found out they weren't all simply BunnyGirls). Someone on the Wildstar Central forums collected a sample of them, here's a pic:

Also, in the Exile trailer that showed off the races, when the trailer talked about Aurin, it showed one that basically looked pretty much like the one in the banner.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Midrena posted:

Yeah, I understand. Aurin have a ton of different ear styles, though (I was relieved the day I found out they weren't all simply BunnyGirls). Someone on the Wildstar Central forums collected a sample of them, here's a pic:

Also, it was in the Exile trailer that showed off the races when the trailer talked about Aurin.

All right thanks, I stand corrected.
Love that shaggy dog hair style.

Midrena
May 2, 2009

Lemon King posted:

Love that shaggy dog hair style.

Ha, yeah, reminds me of those "mop dogs" (the Komondor).

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Something jumped out at me in those notes:

quote:

Public Events now have summary screens available once completed, showing stats for everyone who participated, as well as rewards earned.

Public Events are pretty cool in general, so good to see them here.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

404GoonNotFound posted:

Once again, they have a goddamn zombie arm in the thumbs-up group shot in the Exiles trailer. They're covering their rear end after telegraphing too much.

Nope. We know what we're doing, shockingly enough. :)

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Pryce posted:

Nope. We know what we're doing, shockingly enough. :)

Well it's nice to know that you are, but after GW2 and The Secret World kept trying to disguise a lack of depth as "holding spoilers back" in their pre-release marketing, I've just become a bit cynical about this.

I'm eager to be proven wrong though. Here's hoping you guys are successful as hell... and that I finally get a beta invite. Maybe if I refresh my inbox 37 more times :ohdear:

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

404GoonNotFound posted:

Well it's nice to know that you are, but after GW2 and The Secret World kept trying to disguise a lack of depth as "holding spoilers back" in their pre-release marketing, I've just become a bit cynical about this.

I'm eager to be proven wrong though. Here's hoping you guys are successful as hell... and that I finally get a beta invite. Maybe if I refresh my inbox 37 more times :ohdear:

Next wave probably isn't going out for another 3-4 weeks if they hold true to the timetable they're projecting.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

"phat news coverage which gets us users which gets us money which gets us alcohol, which is an overall priority at Carbine."

I like these developers.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
1. Can you ride really fast bikes that ramp off poo poo like in the trailer or are they the slow and boring mounts from every other MMO?

2. Is this the most Disney of MMOs?

this troper
Apr 4, 2011

:o

Cabbit posted:

Something jumped out at me in those notes:

Public Events are pretty cool in general, so good to see them here.

Also worth noting Guild Wars 2 still doesn't have that feature, and 99% of the events in the game are public ones.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
Have they said anything about how character customization works?

I know each class has a choice between dps and healing, and you're limited to 7 class abilities at once, and gear can effect spells directly (add procs or reduce cooldowns or increase damage of one spell), but is that all? Is there a "talent tree" anywhere in this game?

UnholyCow
Oct 6, 2005

In the TotalBiscuit videos the walkthrough guy mentions that it works like a Perk system but we don't really have a lot of details.

Pindakaas
Jul 8, 2003

I'm not a baby I'm a man! An Anchorman!
I wish those rock guys could be other classes than just warrior. Mesmer rock dude would own.
That green guy from the player housing image in the OP would be nice to have as a playable race too.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

Pindakaas posted:

I wish those rock guys could be other classes than just warrior. Mesmer rock dude would own.
That green guy from the player housing image in the OP would be nice to have as a playable race too.

It's the first few weeks of beta still remember. Just because the rock guys can only be a warrior right now, doesn't mean they won't let them be other classes at some point. Also, they haven't even announced the last 2 classes, so who knows what's in store!

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Pindakaas posted:

They've said the Granok will be able to be at least one of the unannounced classes.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Any information on how UI customization will work? And is it XML, LUA or Python based?
I also got a weird we're not allow to talk about this from Curse: http://wildstar.curseforge.com/ws-addons/ http://www.curse.com/addons/wildstar

Lemon King fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 17, 2013

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Lemon King posted:

Any information on how UI customization will work? And is it XML, LUA or Python based?
I also got a weird we're not allow to talk about this from CurseForge: http://wildstar.curseforge.com/ws-addons/

Lua. They're really trying to encourage UI modding.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Phoix posted:

Thats great, I can dive right in ease.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
I am hecka hype for this game. First MMO I've looked at and like, wanted to actually play in a loooooong time.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 20, 2014

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Lemon King posted:

Thats great, I can dive right in ease.

Now all we have to do is hope for Lua-controllable raid markers. Getting that removed from WoW was a damned crime :(

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

"im nt going to space wif a mark on my head"

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Phoix posted:

Plus the entire default UI built by Carbine is in Lua (and effectively open-sourced), so you can dive into the official UI code and make tweaks to your heart's content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

Pryce posted:

Plus the entire default UI built by Carbine is in Lua (and effectively open-sourced), so you can dive into the official UI code and make tweaks to your heart's content.

I'm glad other people are really good at doing stuff like this, because i sure as poo poo am not.

• Locked thread