Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Stroth posted:

It's a bad Discworld book in that it's bad for a Discworld book. it's not actually a bad book itself.

Yeah this. While I have favorites (The Fifth Elephant) I have never thought a Discworld book was bad or un-enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I still have no idea what Snuff was about. Or at least, what it was about that wasn't already thoroughly explored in previous Discworld books. I think I said before that the notion of dealing with the Goblins sense of self-worth as the key to emancipation rather than the system or Vimes as a big white hero seemed interesting, but absolutely nothing was done with that.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
All the Discworld books have their merits and every one has SOME good quality to it.

Example: Last Continent. Since I know nothing about Australia, the majority of the book fell completely flat and was a boring slog to get through. The Wizards were all right.

Moving Pictures is awful; the jokes feel forced, though that may just be 2013 talking versus, what, 1989 when it was being written? Specific media parody has changed since then. Holy Wood is a great parody of a shallow, soulless shell of a city.

Pyramids: Great jokes about the assassin's school; the entire book could have been that. The actual pyramid stuff is sort of dreary.

And the first books The Colour of Magic, The Light Fantastic, Equal Rites, and Sourcery suffer from the early-book writing that tries too hard to parody every fantasy cliche out there. It's actually hard to come up with anything good to say about these, especially as the characterizations and Discworld lore change so drastically later on that they're barely part of the main series. Mort gets a pass because it's probably the best of the firsts.

So yeah, even if the later books are poorer in quality, the earlier ones still take the title. They're interesting in a historical, retrospective way, but still pretty bad.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Apr 11, 2013

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

See, I liked Pyramids as a take on a really stagnant civilisation, and I thought it was a pretty great book.

I also loved the bit where the dead rise from the pyramids. I still find it chilling to re-read, even though it's kinda lighthearted for what it is.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

AlphaDog posted:

See, I liked Pyramids as a take on a really stagnant civilisation, and I thought it was a pretty great book.

I also loved the bit where the dead rise from the pyramids. I still find it chilling to re-read, even though it's kinda lighthearted for what it is.

Does Reaper Man count as an earlier book? (It was the 11 out of 39 iirc) Because this quote quote from said book still makes me, a grown-rear end man all teary eyed.

"Death, to Arazel, Death of Universes posted:

LORD, WE KNOW THERE IS NO GOOD ORDER EXCEPT THAT WHICH WE CREATE...
THERE IS NO HOPE BUT US. THERE IS NO MERCY BUT US. THERE IS NO JUSTICE. THERE IS JUST US. ALL THINGS THAT ARE, ARE OURS. BUT WE MUST CARE. FOR IF WE DO NOT CARE, WE DO NOT EXIST. IF WE DO NOT EXIST, THEN THERE IS NOTHING BUT BLIND OBLIVION. AND EVEN OBLIVION MUST END ONE DAY. LORD, WILL YOU GRANT ME JUST A LITTLE TIME? FOR THE PROPER BALANCE OF THINGS. TO RETURN WHAT WAS GIVEN. FOR THE SAKE OF PRISONERS AND THE FLIGHT OF BIRDS. LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
[p. 264]

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

quote:

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Someone I know had that sentence read at their funeral.

Yeah, I cried. A lot.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

The Bill Door side of Reaper Man is IMO some of the best stuff Pratchett's ever done.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Hipster Occultist posted:

LORD, WE KNOW THERE IS NO GOOD ORDER EXCEPT THAT WHICH WE CREATE...
THERE IS NO HOPE BUT US. THERE IS NO MERCY BUT US. THERE IS NO JUSTICE. THERE IS JUST US. ALL THINGS THAT ARE, ARE OURS. BUT WE MUST CARE. FOR IF WE DO NOT CARE, WE DO NOT EXIST. IF WE DO NOT EXIST, THEN THERE IS NOTHING BUT BLIND OBLIVION. AND EVEN OBLIVION MUST END ONE DAY. LORD, WILL YOU GRANT ME JUST A LITTLE TIME? FOR THE PROPER BALANCE OF THINGS. TO RETURN WHAT WAS GIVEN. FOR THE SAKE OF PRISONERS AND THE FLIGHT OF BIRDS. LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
The first time I read Reaper Man, I hated it because I didn't get where it was in the chronology of the Death series, so where were the supporting Death characters I knew and what was going on and why does everything feel out of synch. (I think I picked it up after it got a new paperback release in the U.S., so I had the impression it was a newer book.)

A while later I read it again and loved it. I still get choked up by a lot of it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I really loved Pyramids, yeah the assassin's school is great and it's jarring that the book just goes "And now for something completely different" but I'm generally in favor of any book that doesn't take place in A-M. I don't like how "small" the Disc is feeling when we know from the early-mid books that there's a whole weird world out there. When was the last time anything came of the fact that the Interesting Times land exists? Uberwald is a source of "here is New Creature" but hasn't been visited much and doesn't seem well developed. The place Twoflower is from has just fallen off the disc (literally?) Ephebe, despite being this mecca of free thought and science, never really comes up either.

And who wouldn't love a return to post-Brutha Om? The missionary characters we get to see are great. Lancre gets more play than any other place and all it has are a few interesting people.

I know Pratchett is really into the whole A-M revolution and packing in the satire on modern culture while the rest of the Disc seems stuck in the past, but still.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

precision posted:

I really loved Pyramids, yeah the assassin's school is great and it's jarring that the book just goes "And now for something completely different" but I'm generally in favor of any book that doesn't take place in A-M. I don't like how "small" the Disc is feeling when we know from the early-mid books that there's a whole weird world out there. When was the last time anything came of the fact that the Interesting Times land exists? Uberwald is a source of "here is New Creature" but hasn't been visited much and doesn't seem well developed. The place Twoflower is from has just fallen off the disc (literally?) Ephebe, despite being this mecca of free thought and science, never really comes up either.

And who wouldn't love a return to post-Brutha Om? The missionary characters we get to see are great. Lancre gets more play than any other place and all it has are a few interesting people.

I know Pratchett is really into the whole A-M revolution and packing in the satire on modern culture while the rest of the Disc seems stuck in the past, but still.

Pratchett's big interest was always in the city. He's talked a hell of a lot about it. I also don't agree that the rest of the disc is underdeveloped.

Twoflower comes from The Agatean Empire, which is also the setting for Interesting Times.

Uberwald has a whole book devoted to it (5th Elephant) and is also visited in Carpe Jugulum, as well as being the source of the Igors, Angua's homeland, etc. It's also the setting for The Amazing Maurice.

XXXX has been explored, and probably every joke you can make about Australia has been made there.

Klatch was the setting for half of Jingo.

We got two whole new countries in Monstrous Regiment.

The plains around the Circle Sea are fairly fleshed out (Quirm, Pseudopolis, etc), but the purpose of those places is to serve as "kinda far but not really very far foreign countries" that people/things can come from.

Ephebe comes up every so often, but usually as "the ephebian philosopher X says..." or "in ancient Ephebe there was this legend that...".

The Tiffany books aren't set in AM, although it's mentioned and visited. The Chalk is a pretty interesting place, but clearly it's supposed to be AM's rural surrounds.

Edit: Although most of the world seems to now serve as a backdrop for events in Ankh-Morpork, yeah. But that's where most of the well-known characters are.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 12, 2013

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax
Next Discworld book should be set in Wyrmberg, just to really gently caress everyone off.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

jfjnpxmy posted:

Next Discworld book should be set in Wyrmberg, just to really gently caress everyone off.

Since Wyrmberg comes from that era of Discworld were magic was more wild (Pre-Sourcery, I'd call it), it's probably a pile of boring rocks now. But I would like to see Hrun and Kring again.
Hell, a Pratchett-esque pastiche of the Conan stories would be fun. It could star some wannabe barberian a la Nijel the Destroyer and his quest to be recognized by Hrun (now for some reason king and unwilling ruler of Chimeria)

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

AlphaDog posted:

The Tiffany books aren't set in AM, although it's mentioned and visited. The Chalk is a pretty interesting place, but clearly it's supposed to be AM's rural surrounds.
Not enough cabbage.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Iacen posted:

Since Wyrmberg comes from that era of Discworld were magic was more wild (Pre-Sourcery, I'd call it), it's probably a pile of boring rocks now. But I would like to see Hrun and Kring again.
Hell, a Pratchett-esque pastiche of the Conan stories would be fun. It could star some wannabe barberian a la Nijel the Destroyer and his quest to be recognized by Hrun (now for some reason king and unwilling ruler of Chimeria)

Weren't Hrun, Cohen, Conina, AND Nijel all already pastiches of the Conan stories? That was their whole point, since they were parodying that 80s fantasy era.

Last Hero was Pratchett's way of saying goodbye to that genre of fantasy. Barbarians arbitrarily killing everyone has been superseded by more complex worlds. Nerds love complex magical systems and creatures to argue over, Final Fantasy loves supermodels in fantasy environments, WoW literally is a world, etc.

AlphaDog posted:

No, the Chalk is specifically said to be an area closer to Lancre than Ankh-Morpork; it's like as close as the Utah wastelands are to New York. Same continent, yeah, but several days' travel at least.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 13, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
When was the last book where the Gods really did much at all? It's so weird to think of there being this era where Offler and Blind Io were arguing every twenty pages and there was a ton of stuff about Fate and The Lady and now it's just like... well, I guess Thief of Time had that aspect, but that was over 13 books ago.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

precision posted:

When was the last book where the Gods really did much at all? It's so weird to think of there being this era where Offler and Blind Io were arguing every twenty pages and there was a ton of stuff about Fate and The Lady and now it's just like... well, I guess Thief of Time had that aspect, but that was over 13 books ago.

Last Hero. Monstrous Regiment also featured a Dunmanifestin resident posthumously.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Depending on how you took that scene, Making Money has Annoiya taking out Cribbens for Moist

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Darth Walrus posted:

Last Hero. Monstrous Regiment also featured a Dunmanifestin resident posthumously.

Perhaps after Cohen came that close to blowing them up the gods decided it'd be better to take a hands-off role in the lives of mortals. No more games of Significant Quest or Star-crossed Lovers. Which begs the question: what are they doing on those wet Sunday eternities now?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Drinking.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

While yelling at their eternal foe the Ice Giants to turn the drat music down.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Mister Roboto posted:

Last Hero was Pratchett's way of saying goodbye to that genre of fantasy. Barbarians arbitrarily killing everyone has been superseded by more complex worlds. Nerds love complex magical systems and creatures to argue over, Final Fantasy loves supermodels in fantasy environments, WoW literally is a world, etc.

You might be right, I haven't read Last Hero. I'm saving it.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Mister Roboto posted:

No, the Chalk is specifically said to be an area closer to Lancre than Ankh-Morpork; it's like as close as the Utah wastelands are to New York. Same continent, yeah, but several days' travel at least.

Yeah, I guess I forget how close Lancre and AM really are.

Tiff flies from The Chalk (light spoiler for ISWM) to Letitia's manor, does all the stuff there, and flies back, between midnight and sunrise, and I was picturing that location as pretty close to the one in Snuff.

Which it probably is, given that Quirm is between AM and Lancre, and it only takes the witches about a day to fly from Lancre to AM if they haul rear end.

Also, Vimes' coach in Thud! gets to Koom Valley really fast, and that's in Uberwald, further from AM than Lancre. Yes, I know it's using magic, but it's maybe going as fast as A HUNDRED MILES AN HOUR.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 15, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

AlphaDog posted:

Yeah, I guess I forget how close Lancre and AM really are.

Is it not explicitly stated somewhere that Lancre and Ankh-Morpork are 500 miles apart?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Jedit posted:

Is it not explicitly stated somewhere that Lancre and Ankh-Morpork are 500 miles apart?

Googled "Lancre and Ankh-Morpork are 500 miles apart"

First 3 results confirm that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Boy, Unseen Academicals sure does read like your crazy old grandpa telling a story in a rambling, aimless style.

Not a bad thing, but it's pretty jarring compared to the books he wrote out by hand, because those were always very tightly plotted with less endless conversations. Every single scene is so long. I'm only 100 pages in (out of 350 according to my eReader) and it feels like Glenda, Nutt and Trev have been talking forever.

It's also sad that it feels like a crutch to have every single thing with the Wizards involve the Senior Wrangler and the Lecturer in Recent Runes, characters which have literally no personality. Dr. Hix is a pretty funny guy, and Ponder is great, but they're barely around so far.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

precision posted:

It's also sad that it feels like a crutch to have every single thing with the Wizards involve the Senior Wrangler and the Lecturer in Recent Runes, characters which have literally no personality. Dr. Hix is a pretty funny guy, and Ponder is great, but they're barely around so far.

I kind of thought the point of Runes and Wrangler (and so on) were that they were interchangable grumpy academics, and you could put almost any one of the staff into that position and it wouldn't matter.

Which makes your point valid, yeah, but they're stand-ins for "the staff".

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
The interchangeability of the Wrangler, Lecturer,and the Chair is a joke in itself since they are sort of a Greek chorus that provide the same role in the story. All three of them ARE the character.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mister Roboto posted:

The interchangeability of the Wrangler, Lecturer,and the Chair is a joke in itself since they are sort of a Greek chorus that provide the same role in the story. All three of them ARE the character.

Fair point, I just don't like that Hix and Ponder are getting sidelined because of them.

I also find it weird that Pratchett apparently at one point really wanted to build Ridcully's character up and then just said "Nah".

The offhand reference to Rincewind caught me off guard too. I could of sworn he was dead or living somewhere else.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

precision posted:

The offhand reference to Rincewind caught me off guard too. I could of sworn he was dead or living somewhere else.

I think he's been part of the faculty since The Last Continent. He got some ridiculous position in The Science Of Discworld that lets him live harmlessly in the university as he'd always wanted.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Down With People posted:

I think he's been part of the faculty since The Last Continent. He got some ridiculous position in The Science Of Discworld that lets him live harmlessly in the university as he'd always wanted.

Rincewind has actually been given almost every faculty post that nobody else wants, which is a surprising number when you consider there's a Professor of Eldritch Lacemaking. His main title is Egregious Professor of Cruel and Unusual Geography, though.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

precision posted:

Fair point, I just don't like that Hix and Ponder are getting sidelined because of them.

I also find it weird that Pratchett apparently at one point really wanted to build Ridcully's character up and then just said "Nah".

Ridcully's aborted development, you mean like in Lords and Ladies?

I think Pratchett knows that Ridcully's big blustering manager character works best when given straight men to bounce off. Alone, he's a bit unrelatable to the average reader who likely is not a thickheaded CEO.

Same with Vetinari, he works best when intimidating other characters. Alone, he'd be a bit boring.

Also, Ridcully's been developed, just very slowly in the background. His character we read is the loudmouth, but he's actually very smart and capable, just very very stubborn to the point of foolishness. But a lot of old rich men are like that...

As for Rincewind, his final swan song was in The Last Hero, which was Pratchett's way of saying that Rincewind's character arc is over with. He was sick of shoehorning in Rincewind's wacky discworld adventures by that point. Hence why his last wacky adventure was where he legitimately helped save the world AND got recognition for it for once.

He's now a background character in the faculty, but that's where he wants to be.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Apr 17, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I thought Rincewind was great in Interesting Times but I think in general I don't have quite the love for The Last Hero that most others do.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

precision posted:

I don't have quite the love for The Last Hero that most others do.

Can I ask why not? I really like it a lot, and it'd be interesting to hear the opinion of someone who didn't like it so much.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

AlphaDog posted:

Can I ask why not? I really like it a lot, and it'd be interesting to hear the opinion of someone who didn't like it so much.

Well I haven't read it in a long time, I think that I just didn't like that it was short and felt a bit lacking in the usual amount of meaty material.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

precision posted:

Well I haven't read it in a long time, I think that I just didn't like that it was short and felt a bit lacking in the usual amount of meaty material.

The appeal of The Last Hero, for me, was the beautiful illustrations. Everything else was secondary.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

precision posted:

Boy, Unseen Academicals sure does read like your crazy old grandpa telling a story in a rambling, aimless style.

Not a bad thing, but it's pretty jarring compared to the books he wrote out by hand, because those were always very tightly plotted with less endless conversations. Every single scene is so long. I'm only 100 pages in (out of 350 according to my eReader) and it feels like Glenda, Nutt and Trev have been talking forever.

Personally I kind of thought Making Money had some pointless things in it.

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?

Justin_Brett posted:

Personally I kind of thought Making Money had some pointless things in it.

My main problem with Making Money was that I felt Moist's arc was done in Going Postal. There were nowhere to take it and Making Money ended up as more of the same. Another problem was that I think it was on the verge of saying something quite profound about the nature of money (I loved the scene where he gave an IOU in his name to a guy in the street as payment and then showed how that IOU, worth nothing in itself and only trusted because his name was on it, continued to buy stuff by being passed from buyer to seller) but ended up pissing that away and going for a golem based economy in the end. That end was a let down both in style and substance as far as I can remember my own feeling on the matter, it's been quite a while since I last read it.

:colbert:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Making Money was "more of the same", but in that case "the same" is so good I didn't care at all.

Seriously Moist and Adora are just awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Do we know if we're getting a discworld novel this year or is it just the long earth sequel?