Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

njsykora posted:

Unless you're in Europe. Yes seriously, the patch allowing Europe and US to play online together hasn't been put out in Europe yet.

It came out everywhere at the same time, we got it here in Europe at 1am Tuesday morning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

WiiU stuff from the Nintendo Direct today.

- Wii U VC launches with the firmware update next week, Excitebike, Super Mario World and Ice Climber are the launch games.
- Pikmin 3 is out in a few months, now has flying Pikmin.
- loving EARTHBOUND IS COMING TO VIRTUAL CONSOLE

njsykora fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 17, 2013

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Holy poo poo is this real life :psyduck:

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/324528540223672321

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Also background downloading/installing and also the same when the console's off.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Finally we PAL plebeians will be allowed to place our hands upon Earthbound.

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

- The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past sequel heading to 3DS! Link can become a drawing a move along walls. Same world of Link to the Past, new storyline and dungeons. Top-down view. 3D video available on 3DS eShop today. Available holiday 2013.
- Pikmin 3 hitting Japan on July 13th.
- Wii U panorama view demo next week
- Press B button during startup to go directly to Wii mode.
- New Super Luigi U - All 82 stages have been changed. Luigi has his unique powerful jump with leg wiggle. It is harder for him to stop after dashing. All courses start with 100 seconds on the timer. Many obstacles concentrated in shorter stages. Due out Summer 2013.
-Wii U virtual console service starts the day after the system update is available (Next week). Donkey Kong, Excitebike, Super Mario World, Mario Bros., Mario Bros. 2, Ice Climbers and Kirby all due out soon. Game Boy Advance and N64 games coming.

Pretty awesome.

Why couldn't they release that Zelda on the WiiU though!? Now I have to buy a DS.

Long John Power fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 17, 2013

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Box of Bunnies posted:

Finally we PAL plebeians will be allowed to place our hands upon Earthbound.

It cost me about £70 to import it back in the day. :( And when I say 'me' I mean 'my parents'.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Guess it's time to unload this Earthbound cart. May help me buy a new 3DS to play this Link to the Past sequel I'm hearing about though.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Long John Power posted:

Luigi has his unique powerful jump with leg wiggle. It is harder for him to stop after dashing.

This makes me weirdly happy.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

IGN are saying on Twitter that Pikmin 3 has an August 4th release date.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Long John Power posted:

Luigi has his unique powerful jump with leg wiggle. It is harder for him to stop after dashing.

Now we just wait for New Super Peach U with her floating ability.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

*sniff* I thought this day would never come.

I still have the cartridge and that's never going to change, but I'm just glad that it's going to be exposed to a new audience.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

njsykora posted:

IGN are saying on Twitter that Pikmin 3 has an August 4th release date.

"Release window."

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Box of Bunnies posted:

Now we just wait for New Super Peach U with her floating ability.

You must be thinking of New Super Yellow Toad U.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

"Release window."

Better late than never I guess. Earthbound makes up for it in my eyes though. Can not wait for that.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Well with that Earthbound announcement, Nintendo has just justified my desire to buy a WiiU.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Atomicated posted:

You must be thinking of New Super Yellow Toad U.

That's a baby's game, New Super Blue Toad U all the way.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Luigi U does look quite substantial, I'm sure it'll be worth getting for those of you who aren't completely sick to death of NSMB.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I cracked up laughing when they announced Earthbound. I could practically hear the sound of the Internet exploding!

Personally, I've never actually played the game, but I've always been curious about it. I'll make sure to buy it when it comes out! (Plus, playing it on the gamepad sounds very appealing.)

Oh, and LttP2 looks cool too. I'm game.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So can we just change the thread title to 'Wii-U Discussion - Earthbound to be on VC soon!'

Because I'm pretty sure that would generate another thousand sales on this forum from that title alone.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

Personally, I've never actually played the game, but I've always been curious about it. I'll make sure to buy it when it comes out! (Plus, playing it on the gamepad sounds very appealing.)

Honestly, I don't like Earthbound myself. The combat is too simplistic and the environments were unpleasant to explore.

That said, I can still be happy for large numbers of people who do love the game and are finally getting what they wanted.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

I cracked up laughing when they announced Earthbound. I could practically hear the sound of the Internet exploding!

Oh, and LttP2 looks cool too. I'm game.

I loved how there wasn't really exploding, but more stunned disbelief that it was actually happening. Then the explosion happened.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Random Stranger posted:

Honestly, I don't like Earthbound myself. The combat is too simplistic and the environments were unpleasant to explore.

That said, I can still be happy for large numbers of people who do love the game and are finally getting what they wanted.

I'm with you in that I have absolutely no idea what the appeal of this game is... and this isn't coming from a person who played it for the first time yesterday, I couldn't figure out why people were excited about it back in the 90s.

But I'm glad that it's going to get out there for people to enjoy in an official capacity, and I'll enjoy EB price talk dying down.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

People joke about it and I know it won't happen but I think it'd actually be kind of cool if they did the Luigi DLC thing again next year with Toad or Peach. It's actually one of the only times I've really looked forward to DLC.

Since there's two Toads, they could do a level pack that focuses on co-op play or something. And for Peach they could bring back her hover jump thing.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

I don't get the Earthbound excitement, especially since anyone who wanted to play it downloaded a ROM years ago. More interesting would be an Earthbound sequel.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Toady posted:

I don't get the Earthbound excitement, especially since anyone who wanted to play it downloaded a ROM years ago. More interesting would be an Earthbound sequel.

Anyone who wanted to play an EarthBound sequel downloaded a ROM years ago as well. :smugdog:

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

zenintrude posted:

I'm with you in that I have absolutely no idea what the appeal of this game is... and this isn't coming from a person who played it for the first time yesterday, I couldn't figure out why people were excited about it back in the 90s.

But I'm glad that it's going to get out there for people to enjoy in an official capacity, and I'll enjoy EB price talk dying down.

Just wait til all the talk about the game being picked apart to see what they changed in the VC release starts up. You'll not escape discussion of this game that easily, son. Not by a long shot.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Toady posted:

Anyone who wants to play F-Zero downloaded a ROM, everyone who wants to play Super Metroid downloads a ROM. Some of us do actually like doing things the right way, and I'll happily give Nintendo money for finally releasing it in Europe. Especially if it sells well enough to justify Mother 3 being brought over.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

njsykora posted:

Anyone who wants to play F-Zero downloaded a ROM, everyone who wants to play Super Metroid downloads a ROM. Some of us do actually like doing things the right way, and I'll happily give Nintendo money for finally releasing it in Europe. Especially if it sells well enough to justify Mother 3 being brought over.

I'm just saying I don't think it will be some big sales generator for the Wii U, especially something as niche as the Mother series.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Toady posted:

I'm just saying I don't think it will be some big sales generator for the Wii U, especially something as niche as the Mother series.

Thats kind of beside the point. Plenty of people have been calling for this game for years, and an English version already exists. It was one of those things where it didn't make sense for Nintendo to not put it out for so long.

I don't think they are expecting to move consoles based on this. Did anyone expect that? Its just a good thing that is happening.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Toady posted:

I'm with you on the first part- I'm not going to buy the Wii U for Earthbound alone, especially since I have the SNES cart. However, people have been wondering about what game Ness is from since the first Super Smash Bros., and now that there's a way to not shell out over $100 for the right to play it legally, I bet this will pique their curiosity.

I hope that none of the music has been removed. I'm willing to bet that the reason it took this long to get a proper release outside of Japan was because they finally ironed out the pesky copyright issues.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Wii U Discussion - Should've bought the 3DS.

30 minutes of 3ds talk. Man, Nintendo, you must be tired holding all those cards to your chest.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Why sell this game legally when it's so easy to steal??

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Toady posted:

Who's saying it's going to be some system seller? It's pretty clearly sating the fans that are already there in response to Miiverse posts.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Box of Bunnies posted:

Who's saying it's going to be some system seller? It's pretty clearly sating the fans that are already there in response to Miiverse posts.

Ineffiable posted:

So can we just change the thread title to 'Wii-U Discussion - Earthbound to be on VC soon!'

Because I'm pretty sure that would generate another thousand sales on this forum from that title alone.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Box of Bunnies posted:

Who's saying it's going to be some system seller?

Nobody. They're just saying that under the circumstances (lovely advertising, dry well of killer apps, etc) the last thing Nintendo needs to announce is more insular fanservice.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
I love how all we have to look forward to is a game that is 19 years old. Where are the new WiiU games?!

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Fair enough, my bad. But really, I think there's a difference between an actual system seller and something that is going to push the system to goons (the latter of which is what was implied in that quote). For example Bayonetta 2 is a system justifier to me but it sure as poo poo isn't going to get them flying off the shelve.

StevenM posted:

Nobody. They're just saying that under the circumstances (lovely advertising, dry well of killer apps, etc) the last thing Nintendo needs to announce is more insular fanservice.

I don't think a 20 second "hey, we heard you guys want this, so here it is so you don't get so mad at us about the fact that games we said would probably be out by now won't make it 'til the second half of the year" announcement of a ROM dump is going to affect production of things that would actually address those circumstance in any way, nor do I think that Nintendo Direct is necessarily the venue to be addressing them. It's probably more targeted towards the people that will be receptive to the insular fanservice, while those other things need to be addressed in mainstream media.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Shadowgate posted:

I love how all we have to look forward to is a game that is 19 years old. Where are the new WiiU games?!

Pikmin is 19 years old?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Shadowgate posted:

You mean all the new ones they've previewed in previous Directs and the ones confirmed to be shown at E3?

• Locked thread