Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Tewratomeh posted:

I never said it was unnecessary, nor that it was necessarily "shot for shot" or whatever, just that it tread a lot of the same ground and the... pacing was very similar, even if the cinematography of the selected scenes was a lot different. To tie this back in to movie posters, here is the poster for the Millennium Trilogy GWTDT:

Here's the theatrical poster for the Fincher version:

It's not bad, but the "Giant head with figure inside" is getting to be way overdone. It's not as terrible as most of those tend to be, but again, it's looks rather generic. They should've just went ahead and aped the "...Kicked the Hornet's Nest" poster like they started to do, but left Daniel Craig out instead.
ust seemed really gratuitous even if it fits Lisbeth's character. It just looks like some kind of ad you'd see in GQ or some other "Men's Magazine", rather than a poster.

I don't know, it's just that throwing around terms like "overdone" places an undue emphasis on being first and yearning for some platonic ideal of originality that doesn't exist. Art-making isn't a race. Bad copycats are bad not just because they've done something that someone else has done before, but because they do so without understanding their contexts and why those things worked in the first place.

Like, for example, I pretty much agree with this critique that the poster for the Fincher film has a precision that speaks to the director's own design sense and the kind of slightly detourned aesthetic he's giving the material:

quote:

The implication here is that Daniel Craig's Mikael Blomkvist is forever trying to get at the inner-workings of Mara's Lisbeth Salander, while himself being an increasing presence in her brilliant mind. Amid their stoic looks (and amid that great, spiky coif), we get the delicate inclusion of pressed-plant leaves (denoting long-dead case subject Harriet Vanger), and that central swirl that's fast become Salander's signature earring. The better details, though, are the small elements that make up great design, like the precise place in which Craig's left side touches Mara's lips, and the choice to mark the lower edge of her silhouette with a zipper's teeth. It's classy line quality, and it speaks to Fincher's own meticulousness.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I thought the topless Salander teaser poster went a much longer way in making me want to see Fincher's Girl With The Dwaggy Tat and the rest was just kind of standard stuff. The trailer was also really great.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

Vintersorg posted:

Mondo sale today for the Criterion Repo Man posters, one of them is glow in the dark.

This is fantastic. I really need to rewatch Repo Man.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I thought the topless Salander teaser poster went a much longer way in making me want to see Fincher's Girl With The Dwaggy Tat and the rest was just kind of standard stuff. The trailer was also really great.

TGWTDT has the rare distinction of having trailers that were way better than the actual movie. Those trailers for me so hyped and the movie was pretty meh (more due to it being based on a lame story than anything related to Fincher).

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

axleblaze posted:

TGWTDT has the rare distinction of having trailers that were way better than the actual movie. Those trailers for me so hyped and the movie was pretty meh (more due to it being based on a lame story than anything related to Fincher).

Rare? You've just described the majority of major blockbusters.

For me, the two biggest letdowns based on great trailers are still Terminator Salvation and Prometheus.

sambafish
Sep 24, 2008

If you havin' hull problems I feel bad for you son/
I got 99 problems, but a breach ain't one/

axleblaze posted:

I too was disappointed by the actual film, but the first red band trailer (the one that Sony did totally didn't leak an HD Cam rip of) is one of the best trailers I've ever seen.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

If I had seen these two on a wall somewhere when I was 16 I would have totally swooned all over it. The NWS one is stuck to the door of my fridge at the moment because my girlfriend loves the Fincher version.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tewratomeh posted:

I never said it was unnecessary, nor that it was necessarily "shot for shot" or whatever, just that it tread a lot of the same ground and the... pacing was very similar, even if the cinematography of the selected scenes was a lot different. To tie this back in to movie posters, here is the poster for the Millennium Trilogy GWTDT:

Not terrible, but kind of generic. It doesn't commit any terrible design sins, and it incorporates the essential elements (Lisbeth, the missing daughter, the opulent estate). And here's a nice Greek poster:

The design is even simpler, but I like the stark aesthetic more than the generic "international poster". It feels more dirty, Lisbeth looks less confrontational and more inward.

Here's the theatrical poster for the Fincher version:

It's not bad, but the "Giant head with figure inside" is getting to be way overdone. It's not as terrible as most of those tend to be, but again, it's looks rather generic. They should've just went ahead and aped the "...Kicked the Hornet's Nest" poster like they started to do, but left Daniel Craig out instead.

And finally, here's that notorious :siren::nws::siren: poster that was making the rounds around the time of the remake's release:

http://i.imgur.com/eUY9lvs.jpg

While I'm not appalled or offended by the nudity, this just seemed really gratuitous even if it fits Lisbeth's character. It just looks like some kind of ad you'd see in GQ or some other "Men's Magazine", rather than a poster.

I've posted it before, but this is the best poster of the trilogy:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Alhazred posted:

I've posted it before, but this is the best poster of the trilogy:

Actually a DVD insert slip, but yeah, that poster obviously inspired the look of the poster for Fincher's TGWTDT. I'd have to say TGW Kicked the Hornet's Nest has my favorite poster so far of the series.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Like, for example, I pretty much agree with this critique that the poster for the Fincher film has a precision that speaks to the director's own design sense and the kind of slightly detourned aesthetic he's giving the material...

Thanks for that, it actually helped me appreciate the Fincher poster a little more. It's definitely more carefully crafted than I initially gave it credit for. I still don't think I like it, aesthetically, but that's just me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

axleblaze posted:

What bothers me is that it's very Fincher, it's very stylish, yet almost totally conventional and uninteresting. It's weird how they pulled that off, it's reminiscent of Skyfall in that way.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

THIS

IS

the poster for the new 300.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Canned Panda posted:

THIS

IS

the poster for the new 300.

It doesn't even try to hide that its just a re-telling of the same story.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

What bothers me is that it's very Fincher, it's very stylish, yet almost totally conventional and uninteresting. It's weird how they pulled that off, it's reminiscent of Skyfall in that way.

Yeah. Tattoo seems like a shoo-in for his least interesting movie (I haven't seen Benjamin Button though).

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Alien 3.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

I get the feeling that Fincher is trying to develop a style that incorporates all of his magic, but somehow subverts it to the background.

He tries it in Panic Room, but the camera trickery is still pretty noticeable, then he goes farther with Zodiac, which I felt ended up making the movie too dry. (I still love the movie though)

He really seemed to nail it in Social Network for me. It's a pretty cut and dry story line, but it crackles with energy. Fincher is a cool director to watch as he develops. You can see him honing his craft in real time.

I think Tarantino is developing this way as well. I watched Django last night again. A lot of the Tarantino flair is used in much more subtle ways in that movie, but you still notice and appreciate the tricks, it's just done in a less garish and more clever way.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

schwenz posted:

I think Tarantino is developing this way as well. I watched Django last night again. A lot of the Tarantino flair is used in much more subtle ways in that movie, but you still notice and appreciate the tricks, it's just done in a less garish and more clever way.

I've no reservations in saying that Django Unchained is the best film Tarantino has done to date.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

flashy_mcflash posted:

What a fun poster. I hope that sees release by Festival season this year.

It's world premiere is at the Independent Film Festival of Boston. Trying my hardest to get into the screening.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

It's world premiere is at the Independent Film Festival of Boston. Trying my hardest to get into the screening.

I got my ticket to it :cool:

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
There was some talk about the changes to the Scary Movie 5 poster some pages back and I saw the first version today on my way to work. So I guess Europe is ok with whatever was unsuitable for US audiences.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

MrBling posted:

There was some talk about the changes to the Scary Movie 5 poster some pages back and I saw the first version today on my way to work. So I guess Europe is ok with whatever was unsuitable for US audiences.

Europe: A-Okay With Ghost Erections.

This should be on a billboard.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen

Winding Refn likes his neon.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
I did it, I found the worst one.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jefferoo posted:

I did it, I found the worst one.

Eh, still better than the Matrix battery one.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I absolutely love this:

IMDB posted:

On a small tropical island, Bart Thompson and his crew are blasting the sea bed to deepen the harbor. In doing so, they seem to have dug into an ice cold under water pocket where they find two perfectly preserved dinosaurs. They remove the beasts to the shore where during a nighttime thunderstorm they are struck by lightning and reanimated. The unscrupulous island manager, Mike Hacker, also made a find: a Neanderthal man, who is also reanimated. While the Neanderthal and his new friend, a young boy named Julio, get into mischief Bart and the others must find a way to protect themselves from the rampaging beasts.

e: gently caress yeah:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY3Spw0_Ouw

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah ok buddy the rifle didn't work against the big loving dino so you decide to charge and attempt to melee it with said rifle?

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Red_Museum posted:

Winding Refn likes his neon.

The music from the Enter the Void credit sequence just started playing in my head.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah ok buddy the rifle didn't work against the big loving dino so you decide to charge and attempt to melee it with said rifle?

Well, if you win, you pretty much have the world's greatest bar story to get laid for the rest of your life. "Sure, that guy's a millionaire CEO, but I stabbed a dinosaur to death with a gun."

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

sambafish posted:

I too was disappointed by the actual film, but the first red band trailer (the one that Sony did totally didn't leak an HD Cam rip of) is one of the best trailers I've ever seen.

I liked how they continued that theme with their DVD artwork that looked so much like a pirated DVD that RedBox and Amazon had to post notices from all the people trying to return it.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I liked how they continued that theme with their DVD artwork that looked so much like a pirated DVD that RedBox and Amazon had to post notices from all the people trying to return it.

Borat did it first :colbert:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Actually System of a Down did it first :colbert:

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

axleblaze posted:

Actually System of a Down did it first :colbert:

Goddamn the early 2000s were the dumbest time in music.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jefferoo posted:

Goddamn the early 2000s were the dumbest time in music.

So it's fine for Borat and GWTDT to do it but when SoaD do it it's dumb?

If you're referring to the title, it's so named because it's basically a proper release of a bunch of low quality demos that fans were pirating at the time (all rerecorded at studio quality).

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Ez posted:

The bootleg disc look may be funny, but "Is Life? No. Demorez." really does it, if you ask me.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

axleblaze posted:

So it's fine for Borat and GWTDT to do it but when SoaD do it it's dumb?

Yes. When System of a Down do anything, it's dumb.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Yes. When System of a Down do anything, it's dumb.

Hey, they're not bad. :colbert: They're pretty much the only good band to come out of the whole nu-metal fad (mostly because they're not even remotely nu-metal).

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

WickedIcon posted:

Hey, they're not bad. :colbert: They're pretty much the only good band to come out of the whole nu-metal fad (mostly because they're not even remotely nu-metal).

Deftones. You're thinking of the Deftones. Although I haven't actually listened to their last two albums, so I could be wrong. SOAD were awful the whole time...but I listened to Toxicity on the bus to 9th grade so many times its embarrassing.

I worked at a Hollywood Video when Borat came out and had more than a couple people scream at me for charging them to rent a "bootleg." Mostly we just got a ton of people being like "Hey, can you see who rented this before me? Cause they stole it and left a burned copy!"

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Ez posted:

Ahahah this is glorious, I love how it looks like some totally generic, cheap blank DVD, complete with the Engrish brand slogan. Borat was great.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

An uncle of mine used to work at a CD store and back when Year Zero came out with the thermal-sensitive disc he got one guy wanting a refund for getting a damaged/defective disc.

Basically, the moral of the story is: Don't do something different or creative, because people are loving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

In exactly the same way people kept returning The General back when I worked at Blockbuster in the late 90's because it's filmed in Black & White. Everyone thought their copy was broken, because no-one reads the back of the case. We started telling people and 99% would go select something else :negative: