Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

XboxPants posted:

New Firmware & ODK Update: http://forums.ouya.tv/discussion/1246/odk-1-0-3-and-firmware-1-0-193#latest

Users can now edit credit card info on the system. Which shouldn't be news for two reasons. First of all, that should have already been a feature. But secondly, I can't believe some of you guys were acting like it wasn't going to happen.

Have they bothered to add parental locks or passwords or anything yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

peter gabriel posted:

Ha ha holy poo poo man you REALLY need to get your fuckin oooooooyah delivered.

I actually do, I have to write about it.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

XboxPants posted:

I actually do, I have to write about it.

What's that? No, I can't talk right now. I'm busy posting on the internet to defend a product made by a company whose incompetence is interfering with one of my revenue streams.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Yeah sure it's all poo poo, but it's cheap! Plus, in 2013 maybe you'll discover a game like one that was pretty fun 35 years ago when you were 10!

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

That's why the OUYA has the world's number one Halo killer:

FINAL FANTASY III

Don't forget Sonic 4 and Car Jumper.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
Hmm...posts on forums.ouya.tv look like they're way, way down. They'd gotten up to 50+ posts a day, and it looks like they're more in the 20 range or lower.

Somehow, they're completely flubbing a launch, and all that it's doing is killing marketing momentum.

Again.

edit: OUYAForum.com is really down again, too. They are doing everything possible to grind their own momentum to a screeching halt. Announcing a delay would have unquestionably been better for them than this.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 17, 2013

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

limaCAT posted:

Sonic 4? On the OUYA?
Seriously?

Well, I'd say that's a nice fit for our favorite console!
A god-awful game with horrible controls, floaty physics, uninspired graphics and boring level design that's only trying to cash in on the hype the producers think their franchise is generating.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

theflyingorc posted:

Hmm...posts on forums.ouya.tv look like they're way, way down. They'd gotten up to 50+ posts a day, and it looks like they're more in the 20 range or lower.

Somehow, they're completely flubbing a launch, and all that it's doing is killing marketing momentum.

Again.

edit: OUYAForum.com is really down again, too. They are doing everything possible to grind their own momentum to a screeching halt. Announcing a delay would have unquestionably been better for them than this.

Don't worry. This isn't the REAL launch! I'm sure things will pick back up once they're available in stores* june 4th.

*theoretically

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Zaphod42 posted:

Although most truly great games have insanely long development periods.

like Duke Nukem Forever :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

nexus6 posted:

like Duke Nukem Forever :v:

Most great games have insanely long development periods
Isn't the same as
Most games with insanely long development periods are great games.

:eng101: Logic! That's the converse of my statement, which isn't inherently true.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
Surprising nobody, the guy who runs OUYAForum.com is a complete and total idiot:

http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?2232-OUYA-Pre-orders-at-GameStop-amp-GAME-Stores-Low-Release-Date-is-in-Question-amp-more

Basically, he is trying to get hard sales data by calling individual Gamestop stores. And the fact that they don't have an official "street date" even though they have a "release date" means that the release date is in question.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Zaphod42 posted:

Most great games have insanely long development periods
Isn't the same as
Most games with insanely long development periods are great games.

:eng101: Logic! That's the converse of my statement, which isn't inherently true.

If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Sue posted:

Sonic 4? On the OUYA?
Seriously?

Well, I'd say that's a nice fit for our favorite console!
A god-awful game with horrible controls, floaty physics, uninspired graphics and boring level design that's only trying to cash in on the hype the producers think their franchise is generating.

Ok, the videos I saw weren't from an official Sonic 4 ouya build but from a sideloaded APK from Google Play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKvKTVM9lUE

Zylche's store tracker:

http://78.129.218.249/ouya/

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic

theflyingorc posted:

Again.

Maybe everyone is playing amazing games on their OUYA's that all just got delivered! They don't have time to make forum posts...

Dec 26, 2012

Aweful Dreams posted:

Maybe everyone is playing amazing games on their OUYA's that all just got delivered! They don't have time to make forum posts...

If they played every amazing OUYA game to the hilt, they'd still have exactly as much time as they did before to post about it.

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

theflyingorc posted:

Again.

Maybe the ASSALAAMUALAYKUM shifted gaming paradigms so hard that their forum couldn't handle it

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Aweful Dreams posted:

Must like how you're too busy "gauging interest" of the BOUYA from us instead of wasting your time elsewhere on the internet.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Diametunim posted:

I can only dream of a day when a modern console sees the level of modding and homebrew of the Xbox, sadly I don't believe that will ever happen again.

The Wii pretty much has this. It has a vibrant homebrew scene, and modding one is trivial. The only downside is still no proper HD playback.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Aweful Dreams posted:

Given your posting history I can't even tell if this is sarcasm or not. God I hope it is for your sake.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Can lightning strike twice? The folks at Mega64 dare you to say no!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtWH5LRHiqI

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Requested_Username posted:

This is such bullshit though because it takes like 25 arrows to actually get the sword. It's like hiding an item early in the game and the way to reveal it is to pull a lever that already opened a door 30 more times.

It's funny that people complain about the Drake Sword because it's still pretty much right in front of you.

I mean I could understand complaining about the reward you apparently get for beating the demon in the tutorial when you first reach him, while you have the game telling you outright to loving run away.

Inspector_71 posted:

Yeah sure it's all poo poo, but it's cheap! Plus, in 2013 maybe you'll discover a game like one that was pretty fun 35 years ago when you were 10!

More like you'll find the exact game from 35 years ago, running on an emulator in the JIMMYJOHNS app store.

OUYA!

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe

limaCAT posted:

When you say Car Jumper, do you mean this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV1nidrZhsM

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Inspector_71 posted:

That's a lie because no game on the BROUHA will ever be as good as Yar's Revenge.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

I've been thinking about this, and the general low rate of posting on their dev forums, and why that might be. Sure, part of it is just because not a lot of games are coming to the system. But even developers who I know are working on OUYA games don't post there, or post only very infrequently. Even developers who release games for OUYA hardly post there at all.

I think it's because of something you and I and everyone already knows: people don't really make OUYA games. So, like, the developers of Legend of Dungeon or Mercenary Kings? They're working on games that will (hopefully) come out on OUYA eventually, so you could say they're working on OUYA games. The Mercenary Kings devs, Tribute, even put out a game on OUYA already, Wizorb. But they don't post there very often. Why not?

It's simple... OUYA games don't get developed on OUYA. Tribute is going to spend however many months making Mercenary Kings as a PC game. During that time they're probably not going to post on the boards at all. Then, at the end, they'll spend a relatively very short amount of time porting to OUYA, and only then will they post on the board.

So I think that's why the posting rate is so low. Even people that are making games for OUYA don't have any reason to post there for the vast majority of their development cycle.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Did you really think that was epiphany that you came up with yourself? This is something we've been telling you for the last three threads.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

Did you really think that was epiphany that you came up with yourself? This is something we've been telling you for the last three threads.

I realize that, I posted because theflyingorc keeps on going on about how there are so few posts on the OUYA dev forum and how it's really bad news that no one's developing for it. Except that doesn't make sense because "ouya developer" really means "pc/android developer" so an inactive OUYA board doesn't really mean much.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

People are allowed to change opinions, but you're a bit of a moving target.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

XboxPants posted:

I realize that, I posted because theflyingorc keeps on going on about how there are so few posts on the OUYA dev forum and how it's really bad news that no one's developing for it. Except that doesn't make sense because "ouya developer" really means "pc/android developer" so an inactive OUYA board doesn't really mean much.

You're attempting to find a way to make a dead OUYA forum sound like a positive thing by saying "nobody is developing for the OUYA". I just want to make you fully aware what you trying to do here, because I don't think you understand it yet.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Suspicious Dish posted:

XboxPants is an idiot, what a revelation. Why do we keep acting surprised when he says something incredibly dumb?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

You're attempting to find a way to make a dead OUYA forum sound like a positive thing by saying "nobody is developing for the OUYA". I just want to make you fully aware what you trying to do here, because I don't think you understand it yet.

Not exactly. First off, it's not a positive thing. Obviously more activity would be better. I'd just been wondering why even the studios working on OUYA games don't post there much. That's the second point - it's not that nobody is developing for OUYA, it's that nobody is developing for OUYA on OUYA. OUYA games are made on other platforms first.

So it's not a positive, and it is a negative. It's just not as bad as it seems, because even the people who are making OUYA games don't have a reason to post there for 90% of their cycle.

edit: Look at it this way. If devs only post on the board during the last 10% of their development, that means the entire board's gonna get something like 90% less traffic than you would normally expect. Even if the OUYA had a ton of active developers, it'd look pretty dead.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 18, 2013

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

The question you should ask isn't why anyone is posting. You should ask why anyone would bother. Why give a poo poo about a device that no one has when there are tens of millions of android smart phones out there with a mature market place and everything. It's like they took Android and tried to build on top of it, but they only know how to build with poop, so they aren't making it better. Actually this isn't an analogy; it is the literal truth. I don't know why this makes me so mad.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Xboxpants, are you rebuying an OUYA after launch so you have an 'official' version too or are you just going to stick with your $230 beta version?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Uncle Jam posted:

Xboxpants, are you rebuying an OUYA after launch so you have an 'official' version too or are you just going to stick with your $230 beta version?

The only difference with the "official" version is going to be the version of the firmware that's installed on it so I don't think I'll have any reason to do that?

(unless everyone has suddenly changed their minds and thinks OUYA actually is going to pull an entirely new hardware revision out of their rear end in two months)

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

XboxPants posted:

The only difference with the "official" version is going to be the version of the firmware that's installed on it so I don't think I'll have any reason to do that?

(unless everyone has suddenly changed their minds and thinks OUYA actually is going to pull an entirely new hardware revision out of their rear end in two months)

he is mocking them

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

XboxPants posted:

Not exactly. First off, it's not a positive thing. Obviously more activity would be better. I'd just been wondering why even the studios working on OUYA games don't post there much. That's the second point - it's not that nobody is developing for OUYA, it's that nobody is developing for OUYA on OUYA. OUYA games are made on other platforms first.

So it's not a positive, and it is a negative. It's just not as bad as it seems, because even the people who are making OUYA games don't have a reason to post there for 90% of their cycle.

edit: Look at it this way. If devs only post on the board during the last 10% of their development, that means the entire board's gonna get something like 90% less traffic than you would normally expect. Even if the OUYA had a ton of active developers, it'd look pretty dead.

... because developers never talk about what platforms their games will be available on early in a game's development cycle or keep their potential sales base informed about what they can buy in order to generate hype, because they hate money.

Also, you seem to be viewing 'few, if any, exclusives' as a plus rather than a downside.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
Uhrman posted this on her Twitter then deleted it 2 minutes later and I'm not sure why.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Breetai posted:

... because developers never talk about what platforms their games will be available on early in a game's development cycle or keep their potential sales base informed about what they can buy in order to generate hype, because they hate money.

But... the dev forums wouldn't really be a good way to reach their potential sales base? :confused:

Breetai posted:

Also, you seem to be viewing 'few, if any, exclusives' as a plus rather than a downside.

How did you reach that conclusion? Did I say something that supported that?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

XboxPants posted:

But... the dev forums wouldn't really be a good way to reach their potential sales base? :confused:

Nor would developing for a nearly nonexistent platform.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Inspector_71 posted:

So $100 is the new "cost me practically nothing". I'll be sure to recalibrate my expectations.

(No I loving won't. The only people to whom $100 for an Ouya is equivalent to a kid's pocket change for an old Atari, are the sort of nerds who have nothing else in their lives but video games. I can think of much better uses for $100 than an afternoon spent experiencing the highs and the lows of android shovelware.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

luncheon meat posted:

Uhrman posted this on her Twitter then deleted it 2 minutes later and I'm not sure why.

What the gently caress? Did she get a picture of an assembly line and add that text in with Paint or something?

• Locked thread