Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
Wow, 5 Anna's was really a step down from Death's Embrace, difficulty-wise. Maybe that's just because I have more people limit broken now, but I just had Dark Flier Lissa pair up with Avatar and take the west island, Dark Flier Sumia and Cynthia pair up with Chrom and Yarne (all S rank supports) take the east island, and everyone else charge up the middle. Lissa and Sumia didn't even have Galeforce yet, and none of the Dark Fliers had Limit Break. It was kind of a disappointment, but also kind of a relief because it must've taken me 20 tries to get through Death's Embrace without losing anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I got Ishtar as my first Other team. This game is catering to me. :v: e: though I think she either speaks like Gregor or has typos in her messages: "I am goddess of thunder itself!"

What would the chances be without Wrath on that crit build, for practical use against the majority of postgame?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
It would still crit most of the time. I don't think most enemies have enormous amounts of LCK, so you're looking at 60-80% crit rates overall.

I think your damage is going to be better with a brave-style tome though, since IIRC Aggressor's damage is essentially applied twice that way. And if you're not going with a crit tome, there's not really much point going for a crit build.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I'm pretty sure that Hex and Anathema don't apply from the back of a pair up.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

WrightOfWay posted:

I'm pretty sure that Hex and Anathema don't apply from the back of a pair up.

They do (and for that matter, so does Solidarity).

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So it seems Pavise procs on Lethality, not that it matters :hehe:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You can also dual guard it. Some Assassin once had it proc against me and I nearly had a heart attack, but then it just gets blocked like anything else.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Miracle also can prevent Lethality from killing you. Saved Lissa's life at least a couple times for me.

e: also looks like I got Trabvant.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Huh, I got Petrine. Didn't think they were given to you in random order.

I got Narshen from 6.

Why is it that every character in this drat game has a pathetic resistance growth?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Slur posted:

Why is it that every character in this drat game has a pathetic resistance growth?

Because one of the points of magic is that it's meant to do consistent, versatile damage.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Because one of the points of magic is that it's meant to do consistent, versatile damage.

Much unlike FE10, where high resistance on everything really damaged their niche :v:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Slur posted:

Maribelle doesn't. :getin:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

And as such be better in most ways than all forms of physical damage.

I've never really understood why they make magic so much better than everything else in these games. Especially bows. FE10 is the only game where they made mages weak enough that they weren't automatically your strongest units, and actually had a passable use for archers.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think Awakening actually does magic a bit better than most of the games--Valkyries, Falcon Knights, War Monks, and Sages all have high resistance as enemies and occur reasonably often. There are definitely enemies you can one-round with physical weapons but not with magic (at least on the harder difficulties/in the postgame), which isn't really true in say the GBA games.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
FE11 and 12 did a decent job at balancing it. Magic growth is generally pretty low for a while, and because the dodge formula is way less broken, you actually have to worry about them getting hit. Unlike the ridiculous Avatar in this game, making My Unit in FE12 a mage is actually the worst thing you can do.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Momomo posted:

FE11 and 12 did a decent job at balancing it. Magic growth is generally pretty low for a while, and because the dodge formula is way less broken, you actually have to worry about them getting hit. Unlike the ridiculous Avatar in this game, making My Unit in FE12 a mage is actually the worst thing you can do.

Its not like the Avatar in 12 was much less ridiculous, they were just Berzerkers instead of Sorcerers.

And I think Awakening's dodge formula works well as the intermediary step between the GBA/Gamecube/Wii dodge everything forever and 11/12 where you were lucky to dodge anything.

The skills, supports and pair up skew it too much to make a 1 to 1 comparison, but I'd be interested in a game with more traditional mechanics that used the Awakening dodge formula.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

You can also dual guard it. Some Assassin once had it proc against me and I nearly had a heart attack, but then it just gets blocked like anything else.

Never had that happen. Gaius (one of my favs) proc'd lethality, and I went CHECKMATE, then the guy on R&R3 (probably that fucker Hardin) procs Pavise, but it did nothing and he still got oneshot.

I'm at a point now where I need either the skillbooks, or to reclass my dudes in the spec they already are, so that I can gain stats again.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It might be that Lethality works by adding their current HP to your attack, and then it all gets halved but can still be enough to kill them. Or something.

A lot of the deeper mechanics like that are still unknown, even for the Japanese community that's had several more months than us to be figuring them out.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Currently downloading. I've been waiting a goddamn year for this.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

The Shortest Path posted:

And as such be better in most ways than all forms of physical damage.

I've never really understood why they make magic so much better than everything else in these games. Especially bows. FE10 is the only game where they made mages weak enough that they weren't automatically your strongest units, and actually had a passable use for archers.

In theory, magic users are supposed to be glass cannons. Probably your most powerful attackers, but very frail. Resistance is usually lower than Defense because Mt on tomes is usually lower than on physical weapons, and because magic is just supposed to be more effective at doing damage. But as others mentioned, the dodge formula in older games, coupled with mages generally being very fast, kind of nullifies mages' one weakness. Then FE10 came along and made all the mage characters really bad for one reason or another, gave the class bad caps and one of the worst if not the worst mastery skill, and gave enemies pretty solid Resistance, so they went from one of the best classes to one of the worst, but for the wrong reasons. Instead of making them the glass cannons they were supposed to be, they just because mediocre at everything. I forget how they were in Shadow Dragon, but I recall them not being stellar in FE12, so it was refreshing to see them actually being good again in this game (even if Sorcerers are pretty broken).

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

The Shortest Path posted:

It might be that Lethality works by adding their current HP to your attack, and then it all gets halved but can still be enough to kill them. Or something.

A lot of the deeper mechanics like that are still unknown, even for the Japanese community that's had several more months than us to be figuring them out.

Lethality just full-stop kills the target. It doesn't matter if it crits, gets halved by Pavise, or is caused by someone wielding a log. The visible damage component is just for appearances, and for fighting people immune to instant kill attacks (Grima and Validar, and maybe a few DLC people, I'm not really familiar with those).

Congratulations! You Won. fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 18, 2013

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Lethality is one of my favorite moves ever.

What should I keep Brady as? I would like him to heal because his mag is pretty good, but I feel like I should spec him Dread Fighter because of the growth rates and caps.

Then again I've been speccing everything female else as a bride when I have no skills left to teach them unless they need Tomes.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Lethality instakills anyone not protected by a dual guard or with plot immunity. Even if the character in question is hitting someone with enough defense to reduce attack damage to 0 - it's still instant death.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
It's also hilarious when you instakill someone with a twig.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

So any advice for R&R3 on Lunatic?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Slur posted:

Watch out for Linus (Counter) and Jaffar (Lethality), equip +Hit skills (or a bunch of Breaker skills) to negate the enemy's breaker skills as much as possible, beat it with Sorcerers and their partners.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Slur posted:

Sorcerers and Manaketes.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Anyone from Europe able to access the DLC and SpotPass content yet?

When trying the latter, I'm getting the error code 004-3003.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Is there a reason why fliers are just godawful units in this game as opposed to the others? Gerome is sitting at 50 defense and getting pelted by the smallest arrow makes him cry about "his destiny" in an over-dramatic manner.

Slur fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 18, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Because they're weak to arrows. Basically. In older FEs terrain was varied enough that fliers were really useful even with that handicap. Terrain is not varied or complex here. You can count on one hand the maps where the fact that a unit's flying even comes into play, much less the maps where that's useful.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dunban posted:

Anyone from Europe able to access the DLC and SpotPass content yet?

When trying the latter, I'm getting the error code 004-3003.

I think the NA version had a similar error for those Canadians who got it early. It'll probably go away on the actual release date of the game (hopefully).

e: whoops, forgot about time zones.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 18, 2013

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Endorph posted:

Because they're weak to arrows. Basically. In older FEs terrain was varied enough that fliers were really useful even with that handicap. Terrain is not varied or complex here. You can count on one hand the maps where the fact that a unit's flying even comes into play, much less the maps where that's useful.

You say that, but I just want to ride a flying horse.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

cheetah7071 posted:

I think the NA version had a similar error for those Canadians who got it early. It'll probably go away on the actual release date of the game (hopefully).

Well, as of 30 minutes ago, today is the actual release date.
You can buy the game via the eShop now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pasteurized Milk posted:

You say that, but I just want to ride a flying horse.
Are you a guy? If so, too bad.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Endorph posted:

...No?

Fliers are useful on quite a few more maps than that. Like in Paralogues 2 and 4 and Chapters 5, 7, 8, 9, and 10. And those are just the ones in the first half of the game.

They aren't great in some of the endgame maps, but they're incredibly useful in about half the Paralogues and about a thrid of the main story chapters. They're just not as gamebreakingly powerful as they are in other games in the series.

Which is more than you can say for some other classes.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Slur posted:

Is there a reason why fliers are just godawful units in this game as opposed to the others? Gerome is sitting at 50 defense and getting pelted by the smallest arrow makes him cry about "his destiny" in an over-dramatic manner.

Flying units are weak to arrows. What that specifically means is that if a unit is attacked by a weapon they're weak to, the weapon's might is tripled. Silver Bows, for instance, normally have 13 might, but against a flier that's increased to 39 - before the attacker's strength is taken into account.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't think fliers are terrible, but having at best three weaknesses is not a good thing. A regular pegasus or griffon is weak to wind magic, bows and beast killers while wyverns trade the beast weakness for one to wyrmslayers. It's even worse if your flier is a tagual or manakete. I tend to think the utility outweighs the risk but there's definitely a case to be made for just not using a flying class after you get the skills.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zore posted:

...No?

Fliers are useful on quite a few more maps than that. Like in Paralogues 2 and 4 and Chapters 5, 7, 8, 9, and 10. And those are just the ones in the first half of the game.

They aren't great in some of the endgame maps, but they're incredibly useful in about half the Paralogues and about a thrid of the main story chapters. They're just not as gamebreakingly powerful as they are in other games in the series.

Which is more than you can say for some other classes.
Fliers were never overpowered. There were maps, a lot of them, where a flier was nearly essential, but that's why they gave you so many, and usually at least one decent pre-promoted one. They were a tool the game expected you to use. It's like complaining that healers are overpowered.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Can you change the difficulty to casual mid save I can't handle it. It makes me feel too bad in real life when my units die :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Nope, it's Classic forever for you. It's ok to let them die though, just move on with your playthrough. You monster.

• Locked thread