Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

KimT posted:

So I'm thinking of finally upgrading to an XL. My old 3DS will still be usable after transferring my stuff over, right? It doesn't get locked down or anything after transferring?

Also I heard that the XL doesn't come with a charger, does it use the same kind as the original 3DS or will I have to get a new one?

Yeah, it should just be as if it were reset to a new system.

It comes with a charger in NA, but not EU or JP. And yeah, same charger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

KimT posted:

So I'm thinking of finally upgrading to an XL. My old 3DS will still be usable after transferring my stuff over, right? It doesn't get locked down or anything after transferring?

Also I heard that the XL doesn't come with a charger, does it use the same kind as the original 3DS or will I have to get a new one?

Your old 3DS will be a blank slate and still perfectly usable (I use mine for streetpasses and so I have another source for all of the puzzles to distribute to people) and both systems do use the same kind of charger, but you won't need to worry about that if you're American because the NA XL systems come with chargers.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

Your old 3DS will be a blank slate and still perfectly usable (I use mine for streetpasses and so I have another source for all of the puzzles to distribute to people) and both systems do use the same kind of charger, but you won't need to worry about that if you're American because the NA XL systems come with chargers.

Soul Glo posted:

Yeah, it should just be as if it were reset to a new system.

It comes with a charger in NA, but not EU or JP. And yeah, same charger.

Ok, thanks a lot.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

Apparently at the 3DS event, they didn't refer to the game as a sequel, rather they said it takes place in the same world, and the one boss they showed is from the first Link to the Past (the dungeon itself was different, but obviously inspired by that same dungeon in the SNES game). Even in the trailer the words "Link to the Past 2" don't appear, the title just shows "The Legend of Zelda."

The Japanese title was explicitly ゼルダの伝説神々のトライフォース2, though when they first started showing footage I thought it was a remake since it was areas from the first game.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

The Japanese title was explicitly ゼルダの伝説神々のトライフォース2, though when they first started showing footage I thought it was a remake since it was areas from the first game.

I don't remember that in the YouTube videos I watched. I also don't speak Japanese (the 2 might have helped though).

It doesn't necessarily matter what they call it in Japan. Don't they refer to the Wii U as a Super Wii there? Over here they didn't, and parents still think that console is a fancy controller.

Nintendon't advertise very well.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I bet it will start out similar to the original in the first dungeon and diverge from there.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Soul Glo posted:

I don't remember that in the YouTube videos I watched. I also don't speak Japanese (the 2 might have helped though).

It doesn't necessarily matter what they call it in Japan. Don't they refer to the Wii U as a Super Wii there, but over here they didn't and parents still think that console is a fancy controller.

Nintendon't advertise very well.

Reggie specifically says new storyline/new dungeons, he also refers to it as a new game in the Zelda franchise several times; It's a sequel.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Soul Glo posted:

In fact, where is everybody reading that it's a direct sequel and NOT some sort of remake/reimagining? I'm not doubting you guys at all since everybody seems so convinced, so it would seem I'm missing information, but I'm seeing this confusion as an example that Nintendo is still bad at messaging when it comes to telling people what their products are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=T-_1nQC_afE#t=2387s

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

You guys should totally come to the Zelda thread. There's cookies and ice cream.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Ursus Veritas posted:

Reggie specifically says new storyline/new dungeons, he also refers to it as a new game in the Zelda franchise several times; It's a sequel.

Awesome. I'd have been happy with a remake or one with changed dungeons, but I'll take a full sequel.

I wonder why Reggie would talk up that stuff, but Nintendo wouldn't specify those details to the journalists at their San Francisco event. They really do need to get a new PR/information manager. Or maybe all that stuff was at San Francisco and Klepek slept through it or something.

This link is broken.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 19, 2013

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Didn't someone say target was running a BOGO on 3DS games this week?

I am having trouble finding an ad that states that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Soul Glo posted:

Awesome. I'd have been happy with a remake or one with changed dungeons, but I'll take a full sequel.

I wonder why Reggie would talk up that stuff, but Nintendo wouldn't specify those details to the journalists at their San Francisco event. They really do need to get a new PR/information manager. Or maybe all that stuff was at San Francisco and Klepek slept through it or something.

I don't think it's really too much to have expected the press people to have paid attention to the Direct.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Kilazar posted:

Didn't someone say target was running a BOGO on 3DS games this week?

I am having trouble finding an ad that states that.

They had signs for it when I was in there yesterday. I didn't look to close though, since I was just in there for a Vita memory card and coffee.

Hydrogen_Otter
May 1, 2003

Quest For Glory II posted:

I leave the 3D off, the ghosting is loving terrible in a lot of games (it's REALLY bad in Luigi's Mansion 2). When everything aligns perfectly it's amazing, but it often doesn't and that leads to headaches and muddy visuals.

But...Luigi's Mansion is supposed to have ghosts!

:v:

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Norns posted:

They had signs for it when I was in there yesterday. I didn't look to close though, since I was just in there for a Vita memory card and coffee.

Must be a just in your area thing then :( I am not seeing any indications of the Targets in my area running any 3DS game deals

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Random Stranger posted:

I didn't know the name was really The Legend of Zelda God's Triforce.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
"Gods" plural.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Can anyone here answer a VLR question for me? I'm looking for a spoiler free nudge, not a direct solution.

I just got to the part in the leftmost path, when you explore the director's room after K and Dio had already been in there. I need to enter the user name and password to access the computer. Sigma says he feels like he's seen the log on somewhere before. I've tried various combinations of Remember Death/Memento Mori but can't log on. When I get the To Be Continued and it shows my flow chart, this section does NOT show up as a lock, just a normal novel section. Does this mean that I should be able to solve it with what info I have?

I'm basically wondering if the information I need is either further back in my current path, or somewhere in a different timeline, since the section doesn't show up as a lock. If it's in another timeline, please don't tell me which one since I may not have explored it.

Anyway, THIS loving GAME~

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
VLR: If you don't know what you have to enter you probably don't have the information yet. Go to another path.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

VLR: If you don't know what you have to enter you probably don't have the information yet. Go to another path.

Ok, that's what I figured. Just the fact that it didn't show up as a lock made me think that I should remember the information from a path I've already been down.

I had put the game down for about two months since the 3DS got bombarded with awesome games, so it's possible that I've already gone down the path and forgotten...but I don't think so.
Thanks!

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Speaking of VLR, I just bought it and want to know how bad the save bug is. Someone said to not save in the puzzle rooms but is there a clear distinction between these sections?

And some bastard spoiled one of the twists for me :argh:

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Nintendo Japan have made an uploader for images directly from the device available at i.nintendo.net

However it's fairly useless as it only works with Twitter/Tumblr, only uploads the 2D version, and only works with images take from Animal Crossing / Tomodachi Collection (because it's using the metadata to append a hashtag for the game automatically)

If they're trying to tap in on the sharing of patterns / screenshots from Animal Crossing they're months late, so I'm not sure what the point is, but it's there so don't be surprised if it pops up overseas as well (does anyone in Japan even USE tumblr?)

On a side note you foreign-devil types are really missing out on Nintendo's (apparently) speech-engine driven refusal to localise the Tomodachi Collection system - if you didn't miss it in Denpa Men, I don't think you will miss it here.

ookiimarukochan fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 19, 2013

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Sodium Chloride posted:

Speaking of VLR, I just bought it and want to know how bad the save bug is. Someone said to not save in the puzzle rooms but is there a clear distinction between these sections?

And some bastard spoiled one of the twists for me :argh:

Ah sorry you got spoilered. But rest assured there will be plenty more mind bending twists.
I'm lucky in that nothing has been spoiled for me so far, and I'm 30 hours in.

In terms of the save bug, yeah I NEVER save in the puzzle rooms. Basically I only save in the AB warehouse (this will make sense). It's pretty obvious when you are in a puzzle room.

I'm not sure if you are just not supposed to save in between the "SEEK A WAY OUT" and "YOU FOUND IT~" screens, but even if I'm in a novel section where the characters are talking inside a puzzle room, I don't save. I just close the lid and suspend the game.

Basically, if you feel like playing a different game or know you won't be able to sit there and complete a puzzle room, save before you go through a chromatic door (again, this will make sense once you start playing).

Did you play 999?

I'm really surprised that in my jaded post-university gaming years, I can still be totally blown away by a new series and enjoy it without any nostalgia involved.

Great IP, great series. Can't wait for part 3.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

For those who have played the new Animal Crossing, does it have any sort of voice chat like Animal Crossing: City Folk had, or is it just text-only like Wild World was? I ask since my 3DS's touch screen has a defect where part of it is warped such that the system registers my touch as being to the left or right of where it actually is, no matter how much I recalibrate it. It's mostly only noticeable if I'm using an on-screen keyboard, but if I'd need to do that a whole bunch in New Leaf then maybe I'll just buy the XL bundle instead.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Pegnose Pete posted:

Did you play 999?

Yeah, which is why the spoiler is so annoying. Visual novels have the craziest twists.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Sodium Chloride posted:

Yeah, which is why the spoiler is so annoying. Visual novels have the craziest twists.

I'm kind of suspecting a certain twist that will connect the two games, based on a rumor I heard about the third game. It could be all in my head though.

I guess you could call this a spoiler for 999 though, just based on the box art for the VLR I knew clover and Alice would return, and since you spend most of 999 wondering if Alice is real or not, once she gets revealed at the very end of the true ending, the effect was kind of less :o: than it should have been for me.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Pegnose Pete posted:

Ok, that's what I figured. Just the fact that it didn't show up as a lock made me think that I should remember the information from a path I've already been down. Thanks!
Make sure to write it down, by the way.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Laser Spider posted:

For those who have played the new Animal Crossing, does it have any sort of voice chat like Animal Crossing: City Folk had, or is it just text-only like Wild World was?
Text only.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol

Healbot posted:

Its currently not possible to have homebrew run in a native 3DS environment.

The last v4 version is definitely able to do this though, just still being developed. Flashcard of course won't even be needed this time. However it's potential for homebrew is pretty limited by the 3DS specs.. being only able to develop for one of the dual cores because the other handles system functions. PSP would be a much better option if you are into that.

noirstronaut posted:

I read on some other forum that the reason Nintendo isn't pumping out GBA titles because they *probably* haven't finished the GBA emulator at all. They were mentioning DS Mode on 3DS consoles and that we're playing GBA emulators through DS-mode's GBA mode. Very confusing and I have no idea how much of it is true.

It's actually native, every game should work. That's why there's GBA but no SNES, cause they don't seem to like developing emulators i guess.

jtm33 posted:

Region locking has never really been about PAL/NTSC compatibility. If it were due to that they wouldn't lock Japan into its own region yeah? Both the US and Japan used NTSC?

Yeah infact 3DS has taken region locking to new levels, it separates KOR/CHN/JPN and there's even an unused AUS region they must have given up on for some reason. I don't understand why either, Sony used to hate importers now just allow region free yet Nintendo has got harsher about it. It's not about piracy because if that's hacked then the firmwares region checking can be too.

infinity2005 fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 19, 2013

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Regional restrictions are usually to please retailers and take advantage of price disparities due to currency more than anything else is what I've heard over the years.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Well Microsoft left it up to the publisher and the vast majority of games are region-free.. it seems more a Nintendo thing than publishers now, even though they usually publish their own games either at the same time apart from the initial Japanese to English translation in some titles.

Also their reluctance to tie online to an account is pretty ridiculous, the 3DS actually stores your CC (without cvv2/expiry i guess) on the system even. All this poo poo just makes the impact of piracy even more if it does happen.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

infinity2005 posted:

Well Microsoft left it up to the publisher and the vast majority of games are region-free.. it seems more a Nintendo thing than publishers now, even though they usually publish their own games either at the same time apart from the initial Japanese to English translation in some titles.

Also their reluctance to tie online to an account is pretty ridiculous, the 3DS actually stores your CC (without cvv2/expiry i guess) on the system even. All this poo poo just makes the impact of piracy even more if it does happen.

Right I said retailer, not publisher but yeah it is stupid and backwards. The idiotic implementation for how content is bound with the 3DS means I will not be buying much from the eShop, if anything at all. Mobile systems are pretty fragile as is, we've got a 4 year old in the house and I'll be arsed if I'm going to get a loving police report for a lost or stolen system just to transfer my poo poo over.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nintendo just launched a new service in Japan that allows people with Animal Crossing, Tomodachi Collection, etc to post in-game screenshots directly to social networks/blogs via the 3DS browser:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/postimage/index.html

That's cool, it looks like it's a step towards a 3DS Miiverse system. I was a bit miffed that only some games allow you to save images, and it's never of the real action, despite the "Notes" app showing you the suspended game just fine.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Chronojam posted:

That's cool, it looks like it's a step towards a 3DS Miiverse system. I was a bit miffed that only some games allow you to save images, and it's never of the real action, despite the "Notes" app showing you the suspended game just fine.
Nah it's complete bullshit - a very basic uploader app for Twitter/Tumblr that lets you upload Animal Crossing and Tomodachi Collection and those two games alone screenshots.
If they're trying to get in on the pattern-sharing boom for Animal Crossing they're months late.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
A number of games are back in stock on Best Buy. Picked up Mario Kart 7, Layton and Harvest moon for 50 bucks.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

:negative:

drat it Nintendo, your system literally has both a player-facing camera and a microphone. Why would you not use them in a game as social as Animal Crossing? You already have friend codes in order to stop kiddies from interacting with people they don't know.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

I've never bought used games online from best buy before. Do they come complete?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Awesome! posted:

I've never bought used games online from best buy before. Do they come complete?

It just depends on how lucky you are, sometimes they come with generic cases, no manual, etc. If you are the pristine-package type, I would avoid.

For people like me who don't give a flying gently caress about that stuff, and just want the game to work, it's pretty awesome though.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Taima posted:

A number of games are back in stock on Best Buy. Picked up Mario Kart 7, Layton and Harvest moon for 50 bucks.

Thanks for this. I'm really enjoying the downloaded version of Layton and the Miracle Mask I got for free with the 3DS + Luigi's Mansion promotion (having never played the series before), and picked up 3 of the other 4 (they didn't have Spectre) for $40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

mastajake posted:

Thanks for this. I'm really enjoying the downloaded version of Layton and the Miracle Mask I got for free with the 3DS + Luigi's Mansion promotion (having never played the series before), and picked up 3 of the other 4 (they didn't have Spectre) for $40.

Oh nice, so you ordered Mario Land 3D? If so you're in for a treat, that game is just spectacular.

• Locked thread