Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I like how Thufir used a picture of Hamhuis as a Pred and not a Canuck. I think I'm gonna do that now too every time I take ex Penguins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
A very short write-up - since I'm not actually good at doing these - on new Flyers defenseman Tobias Enstrom.

Basically a younger, Swedish _______, Enstrom would be the number 1 on most teams, but with the new look Flyers he'll provide his services next to PK Subban to create one of the most dangerous - editor's note: dangerous in their offensive zone, not their defensive zone like the defenses of Flyers past - defensive pairs in the NHL. He averages over 23 minutes a game and plays on the penalty kill as well as the power play. He's only 28 years old, and I think he still has some of his best seasons ahead of him.

Of note, I originally had him second on my list behind an unnamed player, but when you guys began talking about offensive defensemen I knew he wouldn't last to my next pick, while I have more confidence my first choice will last 20 more picks. So, really, you can blame not getting him entirely on yourselves.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
The Buffalo Sabres select LW Brandon Saad from the Chicago Blackhawks with their 4th round pick.

alright, I'll first explain this pick by saying that I am having a difficult time predicting when people are going to be drafted. This pick may be too early, Saad could very easily be around in 14 turns when I get to go again but given how early certain rookies and 2nd year players have been going I don't think I can take the chance that nobody else will select him.

... and I'm being called out of the office. I guess that will do for now, I'll update this post later with further explanations. Basically, if he's good enough for the Blackhawks 1st line he's good enough for me.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

That's a laugher

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Everyone keep picking this way please for say, another 40 or so picks. Thanks in advance, Lanny McDonald doll.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

i am not so sure posted:

That's a laugher

alright... he is the best rookie in the western conference this year, care to explain your derision?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Starsfan posted:

alright... he is the best rookie in the western conference this year, care to explain your derision?

What about Yak city?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Starsfan posted:

He is playing with megastar forwards... yes he's had a great rookie year and it's not s terrible pick but I would rather snatch up top-end talent now because in like a round or two there's not gonna be any left

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Thufir posted:

What about Yak city?

Haha Im dumb

Brodeurs Nanny fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 19, 2013

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Saad isn't a bad player, it's just that you probably could have waited until your 6th round pick (we are in the 4th right now, aren't we?). He was on my list of targeted players, but I wasn't going to take him with either of my next two picks. I don't know if he's much of a name yet for people to grab him this early in the draft. But, again, he's a good player who is young.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

i am not so sure posted:

Or *redacted* ? Or *redacted*?

this rule is tough, apparently.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
IANSS - are those players off the board?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

No, they're not.

But Dougie Hamilton is, cause I'm taking him. So all of you guys taking veteran defenceman can suck it, you forced me to do this. Effort post:

Last time around I picked Yak city. I thought I could use a more veteran presence this time, but they were all taken so I'm choosing Dougie Hamilton, a defenceman from the Boston Bruins. He dominated juniors, scoring well over a point per game in the regular season and keeping up a similar pace through the playoffs. He's already put up 15 points this season. Though he's getting sheltered minutes (because he's fuckin' 19 years old), I'm sure I can find a decent stay-at-home guy to pair him with in the later rounds cause there are dozens of them in the league. What the league is short on is 6'5, all around defenders who compare with Alex Pietrangelo. I guess Hamilton's less of a finesse skater and puck handler but scouts say he's better defensively and more physical than Pietrangelo was at the same age. He's also a right handed shot, so in a few years once they grow into their lanky bodies or whatever, I hope Hedman-Hamilton will be like the next Weber-Suter, only both huge.

Douglas Hamilton, pictured with Tuukka "Milkcrates" Rask (wish I had him too) while stomping some smurfy Hab who I don't even recognize.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 19, 2013

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Dougie was a player I really wanted, and I was really considering taking him with one of my next two picks. A Fowler/Hamilton first unit would be great.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

eXXon posted:

No, they're not.

But Dougie Hamilton is, cause I'm taking him. So all of you guys taking veteran defenceman can suck it, you forced me to do this. Effort post will be forthcoming.

That sucks. I was planning on taking him this entire round and then last minute I chose Staal instead, hoping Dougie would drop for 20 picks.

Edit: In fact, I almost chose him before Huberdeau.

Slappy Pappy fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 19, 2013

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

you guys are simply ignoring the stats if you think that Saad is simply coasting along on Toews and Hossa's production. When those 3 are on the ice togather, they put 60% of the shots on the opposition goaltender. When Toews and Hossa are out there with any other players on the Blackhawks, that number is closer to 53%. Additionally, Hossa and Saad's even strength production per 60 minutes this year has been pretty much even, with a slight edge to Hossa due to his collecting a couple more secondary assists on the year at even strength. I'm not saying Saad is an all-star level forward yet, but he clearly adds something to that top line and has been one of Chicago's most efficient producers of offense this season despite limited minutes on the PP.

David Backes and Jonathan Toews is not a huge leap down from Marian Hossa and Jonathan Toews, and unlike the Blackhawks there will be significant minutes on the 1st PP unit to be had for Brandon Saad. I would feel confident in predicting 50 to 60 points on a full season from Saad, and at his salary (with many years of team control left) you'll have a difficult time finding a better bargain.

Also I've spent like half as much on my team as pretty much anyone else, so if it's an issue of picking up some guys that have names that everyone knows I'm sure I'll be able to find some who's salaries make them unattractive to most other people in the draft.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Good argument. The problem with those advanced stats is that theyre absolute bullshit cherrypicking. Percentage of shots for makes Saad as good as Kane and Sharp? I know that's not what you're saying but come on, Toews and Hossa are incredible players and to pull out some gay stat to even argue that OK maybe Saad is also benefitting from having sick linemates who always have the puck is dishonest analysis.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Thufir posted:

this rule is tough, apparently.

Even for the goon who came up with this whole idea, apparently :laugh:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

i am not so sure posted:

pull out some gay stat
Can we not do this, please?

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
Gimme a few minutes to make my pick.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I think you're underestimating my disregard for the Salary Cap Starsfan. I'm the Paul Holmgren of the SAS fantasy draft

e: also let's lay off the name calling, at least until somebody makes a really bad pick which Sadd wasn't, I was probably gonna take him with my next pick

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Austrian mook posted:

I think you're underestimating my disregard for the Salary Cap Starsfan. I'm the Paul Holmgren of the SAS fantasy draft

e: also let's lay off the name calling, at least until somebody makes a really bad pick which Sadd wasn't, I was probably gonna take him with my next pick

Starsfan and I will be snapping up high priced vets to make our young teams an immediate Cup threat while you're trying to resuscitate your primary forward scoring threat after a 10 minute shift. :smugbert:

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Taking a risk here and picking Milan Michalek with my fourth pick.

Milan Michalek is a good shooter who combines size with speed to make a dangerous forward asset. His streakiness when playing with Spezza is noted but Spezza have also been suffering from injuries and playing with a more healthy Tavares should make him a reliable 30-goal scorer in seasons to come.

Oh, and he is only 28 and in an upward trend. He has two years left on his contract with a 4.3 caphit, a good salary for a first line winger I'd say.

Current lineup:

Michalek-Tavares-
Yandle-
Howard

That's a pretty good group, I'd say.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Habibi posted:

Starsfan and I will be snapping up high priced vets to make our young teams an immediate Cup threat while you're trying to resuscitate your primary forward scoring threat after a 10 minute shift. :smugbert:

Oh, I'll be grabbing those vets too. If they've got a 1 year contract it doesn't really matter, they won't count to cap :v:

Also I'd personally rather have players who are the best of the best than players who might be. As great as young guys are ill take players who are already great than count my chickens before they hatch.

(I will likely draft some AHL guy in the next round as I am dumb)

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Yeah, I feel like there's been a trend for overrating younger players here based on potential. On the other hand, I'm going to end up with an old-rear end team at this rate, so there's that.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Thufir posted:

Yeah, I feel like there's been a trend for overrating younger players here based on potential. On the other hand, I'm going to end up with an old-rear end team at this rate, so there's that.

An old rear end team with a stanely cup. :colbert:

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

yeah well unfortunately I'm not paid by any NHL team to scout hockey games and I don't have time to watch 5 games a night on center ice so stats is what I have to go off of when I've only personally seen Saad play on a handful of occassions - he's made a good "first" impression on me by the way.

Now granted this sort of analysis is more difficult to do with a rookie player (in a half season no less), but I'll make my point another way. Has being saddled with Brandon Saad held Jonathan Toews back in any way this season? He's producing as many points as he ever has, and that line as a collective has *probably* been the most dominant in the league this season. Hossa is more difficult to compare to previous seasons because a) he's been injured and b) he's in the natural decline phase of his career anyway, but it doesn't look to me like he's doing any worse than could have reasonably been expected at the start of the season when Saad was still in the AHL.

I mean someone brought up a certain player earlier who has played the vast majority of his ice time this season with Ryan Suter, Zach Parise, and Mikko Koivu - superstars all of them. This player seems to get much more love in this thread, but his circumstances don't strike me as any different than Saad's. I would use this as a good comparison, because this player's possession statistics are dreadful despite the top level linemates (suggesting he is benefiting from the situation and maybe looks better than he actually is at that age), whereas Saad's production is legitametly backed up by what stats a person can look at to measure success for a player.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Points? Goals? What are these kiddie stats?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Don't like the Saad pick. Even with fancy stats you're talking about a guy who plays for a team that has been ridiculously good, and probably luckier than they should be. There are plenty of better forwards on the board still. It was a big reach for a guy who might be ok, but we don't know because all the stats we have on him are based on him being on the juggernaut that is the Chicago Blackhawks this season.

PS - I really like Saad too, I watched him a lot in juniors and WJC when he was on team USA. He's good, but there are better forwards out there right now.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
A few thoughts. Love the Enstrom pick. I was so close to picking him instead of Kulikov, but went with the younger guy because of higher potential payoff. Enstrom is one of the most underrated d-men in the league IMO. Also love the Hamilton pick, I just think Kulikov is a little more proven at this stage while having a higher offensive upside. They're not comparable players of course I'm just looking at things from my team's perspective.

Milan Michalek is also a good pick, but he's not a guaranteed 30+ goal scorer. 20, absolutely, 25, very likely, but if he hits 30 again I'd be surprised. His injury issues are very, very troubling, but occasionally it happens that guys who are injury magnets as young players somehow lead healthy 30s (XXXXX etc.) I wouldn't bank on it though. Love the guy, love his compete level, defensive prowess, he's an underrated playmaker as well (assists totals his first few years in Ottawa don't reflect his abilities at all). But the speed is disappearing, the injuries are piling up and the goal-scoring is not as reliable as last year would indicate.

mozza fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 19, 2013

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
You guys need to chill out with naming players that aren't drafted yet. Maybe we can get the thread title changed so everyone remembers.

:doh:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Thufir posted:

It's also that older players - particularly forwards - don't seem to be contributing as much as they used to in the early 00's, and a lot of them have inflated contracts. On the other hand, players get to UFA really quickly these days so you have to go really young if you build for the future.

I do think that most of the young players here have greater trade value than the old dudes, so you have more flexibility with a young roster. Veterans haven't been bringing back huge hauls these days even at the deadline, whereas I think slightly lesser younger players with potential would... if they ever got traded in the first place.

e: Also, you might think there's a young player bias, but to me it looks like good players in the 27-31 range are all getting picked now, and like I predicted there aren't many great players with questionable contracts left to pick up for teams like mine with smaller cap hits. It's going to take some searching to find a great 1B/2A center after round 5.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 19, 2013

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Just chiming in to say that Dougie is a great hockey name.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Austrian mook posted:

Oh, I'll be grabbing those vets too. If they've got a 1 year contract it doesn't really matter, they won't count to cap :v:
Why not?

quote:

Also I'd personally rather have players who are the best of the best than players who might be. As great as young guys are ill take players who are already great than count my chickens before they hatch.
There is an element of that, but most of the young guys taken so far aren't unproven. Aside a few questionables, these are guys who, if they we're going to flop, would in all likelihood have done so by now, and otherwise are on trends that should see them become very familiar names over the next few years.

And on that note, maybe I am alone in this, but I haven't been drafting with an eye on the current season, but rather the start of next season. Y'all can have your Stanley Cup this year if I can't make the team a threat right out of the gate, but if nothing else, around this time next season there may be a new set of sheriffs in town.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

mozza posted:

A few thoughts. Love the Enstrom pick. I was so close to picking him instead of Kulikov, but went with the younger guy because of higher potential payoff. Enstrom is one of the most underrated d-men in the league IMO. Also love the Hamilton pick, I just think Kulikov is a little more proven at this stage while having a higher offensive upside. They're not comparable players of course I'm just looking at things from my team's perspective.

Milan Michalek is also a good pick, but he's not a guaranteed 30+ goal scorer. 20, absolutely, 25, very likely, but if he hits 30 again I'd be surprised. His injury issues are very, very troubling, but occasionally it happens that guys who are injury magnets as young players somehow lead healthy 30s (Selanne etc.) I wouldn't bank on it though. Love the guy, love his compete level, defensive prowess, he's an underrated playmaker as well (assists totals his first few years in Ottawa don't reflect his abilities at all). But the speed is disappearing, the injuries are piling up and the goal-scoring is not as reliable as last year would indicate.
There's not that many guaranteed 30-goal scorers left that doesn't have bullshit contracts or are declining due to age. It's the risk I took when I picked Howard(because he'd most certainly be gone by now, methink) but Tavaras have shown that he can make mediocre wingers into great goalscorers and when putting him with a good winger I expect really good results.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Yea but the thing is we already know how Michalek performs with great centers. He played with Thornton and now Spezza, and still has broken 30 goals exactly once. I think you can really only rely on him for 20-25 goals, which isn't bad, but I don't think Tavares will get any better results than anyone else has had with him so far.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
With our fourth round pick, the Toronto Maple Leafs are proud to select Dan Girardi.

Contract: $3.325m for two years.

Seriously, how did this guy fall so far? Not only one of the best shutdown d-men in the league, he's very consistent with putting up 20-30 point seasons and looks to be the perfect compliment for Karlsson on the top pair. Also his contract for the next two years is amazing and very manageable for a "win-now" team like ours.

Team so far:

Neal-Kesler-
Giradi-Karlsson

Paulocaust fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 19, 2013

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I guess this round marks the beginning of everyone being real smug about whoever they picked.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

canuckanese posted:

I guess this round marks the beginning of everyone being real smug about whoever they picked.

Uh no, Paulocaust has been consistently smug about all of his picks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Habibi posted:

Why not?

Well I can just enjoy my team and the 1 year guys won't resign when I need to sign players or when their contracts go up

• Locked thread