Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

The baby boom after today is gonna be epic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
I don't think this kid is going to survive to his trial. He looks in bad shape.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

toby posted:

This is stupid. It's great to feel relieved that the immediate danger is over, but people got blown up and more people got shot and an entire city was locked down for a full day. I think a little more respect or somberness or something might be in order, myself, and less wooting and flag-waving.

Thank you. I cringed when people were cheering and hollering when the kid was apprehended. Congrats I guess? Relief is understandable, joy and bravado is not.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

toby posted:

This is stupid. It's great to feel relieved that the immediate danger is over, but people got blown up and more people got shot and an entire city was locked down for a full day. I think a little more respect or somberness or something might be in order, myself, and less wooting and flag-waving.
With all due respect, we captured a terrorist alive. We got a boogeyman. This is extremely cathartic for the people of this state, Boston especially.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

toby posted:

People express relief in many different ways, though. If this whole thing had happened where I am (New Orleans), that exact same thing would be happening, but probably on a much larger scale.

BondGamer
Sep 22, 2004
If you don't put in your 2 cents how can you expect change?

toby posted:

Notice how young all the people are in that picture? Boston is a college town. They will flood the streets and party over anything.

Just hope they don't start a riot.

Larch
Dec 20, 2004

BEE LOVER
Ed Davis is a poised motherfucker. Soothingly competent.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Espy posted:

Welcome to nationalism! :patriot:

I sincerely wish they'd follow up on the "no Miranda rights" ordeal. I love it when we make laws to grant rights but make fun loopholes to take them away when we feel like it.

There is no loophole. You don't need to say those words upon cuffing a suspect.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
No Miranda reading? What the gently caress? This is a US citizen.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Pistol Packin Poet posted:

His face on that stretcher :stare:

Wait, what?

mrs. nicholas sarkozy
Jan 1, 2006

~let me see ya bounce that bounce that~
drat, that picture of him being taken into custody. He really looks like a little kid.

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3
Obama on in 2 minutes
http://www.whitehouse.gov/live

Neat Machine
May 5, 2008

heh
Anderson definitely just called a robot a robut.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

BondGamer posted:

Notice how young all the people are in that picture? Boston is a college town. They will flood the streets and party over anything.

Just hope they don't start a riot.

Ding ding ding ding ding this is why there's so much partying.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Petey's sleeping. He posted something along the lines of "Oh my god, they got him. I can finally sleep now" in the last thread and he's theoretically been unconscious since.

Good. I was only getting every other page during peak *Last Thread*. Sleep well you poor bastard.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

People express relief in many different ways, though. If this whole thing had happened where I am (New Orleans), that exact same thing would be happening, but probably on a much larger scale.

When Bin Laden died and I lived in New Orleans, I could hear USA chants all night.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The people treating him at the hospital are probably loving livid right now.

Why?

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Is there another pic out there?

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Wildlife Analysis posted:

I imagine there won't be too many Muslims out there.

Watertown has a massive Armenian/Turkish/Middle-Eastern population. It's a hotbed of diversity, part of why this is such a strong victory.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

People cheering in the street BAWSTEN! BAWSTEN! BAWSTEN! BAWSTEN!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Well the BPD press conference didn't address Comic Con, so hopefully Obama will.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I haven't continuously followed the threads. What the gently caress?!

Early in the night, a group of bomb-disposal robots stripped an old man wearing a vest and carrying a "suspicious device" that turned out to be an inhaler.

Coral Reefer
Feb 19, 2005

I touched a clown and now I am going to jail. I hope they let me keep my beard.
Grimey Drawer
Cant post through mobile but they just released a photo of him on a stretcher. He is in "serious" and not critical condition.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

A picture of him being wheeled into the hospital taken on a cellphone camera from 2004 was just shown.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Fancy Corndog posted:

Anderson definitely just called a robot a robut.

A Butt Robot

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

toby posted:

The flag waiving is stupid. But I really think people just are happy to be able to get out of their homes without fear of this dude.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

toby posted:

To be honest Boston has gone through a poo poo ton these past few days. And been stuck inside their houses and couldn't do anything. This is a great wonderful thing for their city and for the U.S.A we got him so quick without him leaving the area.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Did a bit of googling to answer my own question -- FBI has a prety in-depth article about the Public Safety Exemption:

http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/law-enforcement-bulletin/february2011/legal_digest

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Super Deuce posted:

Ah alright. I'll just wait and see how this develops then.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Mirthless posted:

My dad was storing a yacht for a friend of the family once. My stepbrother and I decided we were going to go inside of it. My dad had told us, under NO UNCERTAIN TERMS were we to enter his friend's boat, because it was not ours to play around in.

My dad was at work. It's noon, he doesn't get home until 6. We figure, we're going to be fine. we'll slip in, we'll slip out. It'll be alright. Well, ten minutes after my stepbrother heads in, I work up the courage to climb into the boat. Just as my dad pulls into the driveway, having come home for his lunch break. Son of a bitch.

Turns out in the ten minutes it had taken me to work up the courage to get in the boat, my stepbrother took a big poo poo in the dry toilet. Dad apparently had to clean it out by hand.

It's one of the greatest eccentricities of GBS that people insist on posting unbelievably ridiculous, unrelated personal anecdotes about stuff. I mean how in the gently caress does this have anything to do with anything and why did you post it, have you been waiting to post it? I am just amazed.

Gargield
Aug 15, 2006

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
This is just like the ending to Return of the Jedi

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Guy in the off middle has the best/worst hair.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

TubeStank posted:

You get Miranda before questioning I BELIEVE, not during arrest. The cop drama tv.movie crap is BS.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
For those saying things should be more somber, have you ever BEEN to Boston? People are already wasted and singing outside my window. Getting drunk and partying IS Boston.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

toby posted:

Well, people have been locked inside and pretty freaked out and scared for the past 24 hours or so; I think some blowing off of steam is to be expected. Maybe it's more "Yay, the crisis is over!" and less, "Woot, bring on the death penalty"

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

TubeStank posted:

There is apparently an exception for "national security" cases or something.

OH NO MY DICK
Feb 24, 2013

Forums Jesus

TubeStank posted:

You can convict a person in a court of law, totally legally, without ever mirandizing them.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Super Deuce posted:

There's not a loophole, correct. They can arrest people under and then say that they don't need to read Miranda rights under certain circumstances: https://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/25/us/25miranda-text.html

Still very hosed up.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

TubeStank posted:

Given that he was a) possibly dying and b) beside a boat that an "alleged" bomber had spent 16 hours in, they probably decided to leave that until he was in a secure place and, you know, concious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

cname posted:

Watertown has a massive Armenian/Turkish/Middle-Eastern population. It's a hotbed of diversity, part of why this is such a strong victory.

My point is that, even prior to the suspects being identified as Muslim, many of the community were anxious over the ethnicity/religion of the perpetrators. I imagine this is the coming together before Fox News and other shitheels whip up the hate.

• Locked thread