Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life

vaginal culture posted:

This is literally just an opinion not a fact.

Would you call Adam Lanza a terrorist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Tshirt Ninja posted:

Terrorism is, by definition, politically motivated or for the purpose of furthering a political goal. They check all the other "terrorism" boxes: non-state actors, targeting civilians, violent/intimidating - but we do not yet have proof that they weren't just psychopaths with bombs.

I thought they were both, or at least one of them, was a US Citizen.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

BondGamer posted:

Just made a quick map to put everything in perspective:

I'm not trying to crap on your hard work, but this exists.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

FBI.gif

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

KoRMaK posted:

What are the blurs in the older brothers death picture covering?

I am considering this terrorism, I think there will be some evidence that they were trained and connected to something more advanced than just these two.

Small blur = laceration

Large blur = large surgical wound exposing the gap between 6th/7th(?) ribs.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

TheAsterite posted:

Have you completely forgotten about the D.C. snipers?
Oh god, yes I have.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Tshirt Ninja posted:

Terrorism is, by definition, politically motivated or for the purpose of furthering a political goal. They check all the other "terrorism" boxes: non-state actors, targeting civilians, violent/intimidating - but we do not yet have proof that they weren't just psychopaths with bombs.

You're missing the most obvious definition. Instilling terror in others.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

mcsquared posted:

I don't think y'all got the meaning of my question. Evidence that they had a particular political motive or message, making the act terroristic, rather than a Holmes or Columbine style act of weird masculine destruction.

The older brother literally had a youtube list titled "terrorism" it's not that far of a leap to think "hmm maybe this guy who was obsessed with terrorism wanted to commit an ACT of terrorism"?

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

matrocious posted:

Something with the older brother's influence forcing him to act. It doesn't have wings and it certainly won't fly.

I'm curious if he'll just plead guilty and get it over with.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
He did have a car that had "Terrorist #1" on it at one point. https://twitter.com/J_tsar/status/312768270031785986

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

WastedJoker posted:

Nah, I'm talking from a much wider perspective.

Kill them with kindness etc.

I certainly am an advocate for better conditions for prisoners and am against Guantanamo like prisons, but Munich style appeasement hasn't been that successful, historically.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Super Deuce posted:

Being obtuse is thinking that cheering for a criminal being apprehended or killed is a good thing.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

I like to think the other agent knew the gate opened that way but was just loving with him

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

cletepurcel posted:

Would you call Adam Lanza a terrorist?

I am 100% against prescriptivism. There is no basis to it. The word means what its common usage in the vernacular is. People will have to accept that.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:
This is a good map of everything else related, compared to where Watertown is:

e: I'm just a little north of Cambridge St., and spent a lot of today wondering what it would have been like had he headed north.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Tshirt Ninja posted:

Here's the thing though: I don't give a poo poo. He and his brother are (were) terrorists

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008

Bro Enlai posted:

Is something like this what you're looking for?

Absolutely :allears: Gonna be archiving all of this stuff to add to SAclopedia later.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

PT6A posted:

Ultimately, I like what was done with Breivik. He's not mistreated, he's not being tortured, he's just going to be justly and humanely imprisoned for the better part (at least) of his life for the crimes he committed. I don't want people to be killed or tortured even for the worst crimes, since then we can't maintain that we are, as a society, superior to those being punished. We are better than that. We mustn't lower ourselves to the level of unthinking animals who cry for blood and torture.

I hope the suspect is treated with human dignity, so he can spend a long time with his own tortured thoughts, thinking of what he did, and realizing that the good people of the world can look at his actions, and punish him as he ought to be, without mistreating or abusing him. I would like him to serve his (severe) sentence, always knowing that he, himself, is the architect of every bad thing that happens to him, without anyone else to blame for inhuman treatment or torture. Sure, it may not satisfy the bloodlust, but I think it's a much healthier thing to aim for as a society.

I just hope that eventually he is able to come to grips with the magnitude of his actions. I would hope he does not end up in a situation where he feels victimized or does not come to terms with it. That is why I would like to see humane treatment in this and any other case.

Orcrez
Apr 11, 2009
Anyone have the video of the second shootout at the boat?

mcsquared
Nov 19, 2005

I've already read this, in fact it is what I was operating on, because the first words are:

quote:

Richardson defines terrorism as the deliberate targeting of noncombatants for a political purpose
Followed by

quote:

Key characteristics of terrorism
The act is politically inspired

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

cletepurcel posted:

I like to think the other agent knew the gate opened that way but was just loving with him

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

T. Finninho posted:

Here's the thing though: I don't give a poo poo. He and his brother are (were) terrorists

Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck......

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

krazysigmarite posted:

Are posters really criticizing people in MA for partying and cheering for the police? Jesus christ if you live anywhere near the GBA we've been on lockdown since 1 AM last night, it's been loving scary and nerve-wracking. Surely this isn't horrible?

I didn't think it was terrible when people were celebrating OBL's death, and it's certainly acceptable now. The suspect has been apprehended without anyone else dying, as we should aspire to in cases such as this. Why would it be wrong to criticize the authorities for performing their job in exactly the way they should? If he had been shot under questionable pretences, I would be more reserved about it, but that didn't happen. Tsarnaev was arrested and will stand trial for his crimes, and as far as we know there is no further risk to the public. Why shouldn't we celebrate that?

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010

Radbot posted:

I thought they were both, or at least one of them, was a US Citizen.

Non-state meaning not members of a state entity.

Bruce Hoffman says:

ineluctably political in aims and motives
violent – or, equally important, threatens violence
designed to have far-reaching psychological repercussions beyond the immediate victim or target
conducted by an organization with an identifiable chain of command or conspiratorial cell structure (whose members wear no uniform or identifying insignia)
perpetrated by a subnational group or non-state entity

Fuck This Puzzle
Mar 22, 2013

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes

Levitate posted:

It's disgusting and gruesome and horrible and the media we consume is getting really goddamn good at creating fake images of it.

Uh I play plenty of violent video games but my brain knows they're fake so it's far worse when my brain knows it's an actual person.

Also no games and movies and such aren't good at showing what violence and gore actually look like.

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

Wildlife Analysis posted:

I just hope that eventually he is able to come to grips with the magnitude of his actions. I would hope he does not end up in a situation where he feels victimized or does not come to terms with it. That is why I would like to see humane treatment in this and any other case.

Or dies in the hospital. Seeing as how he is apparently in very serious condition.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

I guess this is the point where the thread implodes. :(

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Spacebump posted:

He did have a car that had "Terrorist #1" on it at one point. https://twitter.com/J_tsar/status/312768270031785986

But he was terrorist #2!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

mcsquared posted:

I've already read this, in fact it is what I was operating on, because the first words are:

Followed by

Look dude, they knew what the bombs meant to Americans. They weren't psychos who just wanted to see what the reaction would be. It was indeed politically inspired, and we don't need to understand or validate the message to call it terrorism.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one
His defense is definitely going to be something about how his brother forced him to do it. Might be something to it, honestly; but he'll still get 400 life sentences.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Super Deuce posted:

Being obtuse is thinking that cheering for a criminal being apprehended or killed is a good thing.

I think you've just obtused your way into your own rear end. Goddamn retarded.

mcsquared
Nov 19, 2005

To restate my question to avoid the definition tangent, is there any evidence that these were politically motivated? I guess that is what I am wondering, because that is what the word "terrorism" means to me, whether people are using it that way or not.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

anotherone posted:

His defense is definitely going to be something about how his brother forced him to do it. Might be something to it, honestly; but he'll still get 400 life sentences.

Didn't work for Terry Nichols, ain't gonna work here.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Tshirt Ninja posted:

Non-state meaning not members of a state's military.

Bruce Hoffman says:

ineluctably political in aims and motives
violent – or, equally important, threatens violence
designed to have far-reaching psychological repercussions beyond the immediate victim or target
conducted by an organization with an identifiable chain of command or conspiratorial cell structure (whose members wear no uniform or identifying insignia)
perpetrated by a subnational group or non-state entity

How did we ever determine context and meaning before academic think tank types told us what they meant?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Robot_Rumpus posted:

Or dies in the hospital. Seeing as how he is apparently in very serious condition.

Yeah, this too.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Yeah cmon Boston, have the quiet grace and beauty of the undoubtedly fat masses of the internet

OMG BYZANTIUM
Dec 30, 2008

Wildlife Analysis posted:

I too hope he is assigned the best public defender, treated neutrally by police and that the jury fairly considers all the evidence...and then sentences him to life in prison. Our system has enough problems without people purposely trying to mess it up to get revenge.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

Poor guy must have just been still running on pure adrenaline, kicked down so many doors that day it was basically automatic

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

mcsquared posted:

To restate my question to avoid the definition tangent, is there any evidence that these were politically motivated? I guess that is what I am wondering, because that is what the word "terrorism" means to me, whether people are using it that way or not.

Not direct evidence as to political motivations yet. Though apparently the FBI questioned one of them/someone related to them at the request of a foreign government a while ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicago Death Rate
Jul 23, 2001

by Ralp
Why is Anderson Cooper talking to this girl

• Locked thread