Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Somebody was just kind enough to let Shepard Smith know that "my mom loves you!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sing like a girl
Aug 8, 2011

Inspector_71 posted:

I mean we should have paperwork for the applications and should be able to tabulate who came from where. Not where they live or anything, but numbers of documented immigrants from X country shouldn't be very hard to come up with for the government.

But wait I just realized that Chechnya would just show up as "Russia" on an application wouldn't it. :downs:

Not where they live or anything?

I have to report my address to USCIS any time I move house.

vickser
Dec 27, 2012

NathanScottPhillips posted:

Yes its very hard for Chechens to come to the US because of tough US laws regarding terror and Russia protesting. With only 200 Chechens in the US my guess would be that only the most well-off families are able to get people here. These guys probably had a nice life back home at the top of society and came here and were just average.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of them came over with refugee status.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
Can someone clarify something for me?

What was the shootout this afternoon about? I thought the guy they just apprehended was hiding in the boat the whole time. Did they spot him and then light him up in the boat?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

vickser posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if some of them came over with refugee status.
I think the article said almost all of them did.

Sexy Randal posted:

What was the shootout this afternoon about? I thought the guy they just apprehended was hiding in the boat the whole time. Did they spot him and then light him up in the boat?
He shot at them, I think.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Retro Access posted:

Not where they live or anything?

I have to report my address to USCIS any time I move house.

Yep, same here. Address and phone number.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Has anyone in this thread even seen a Chechnyan?

I have since their father was my mechanic and I helped translate another asylum application.

The dad definitely identified as ethnically Chechen.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 20, 2013

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Inspector_71 posted:

Somebody was just kind enough to let Shepard Smith know that "my mom loves you!"
Well he is the only person at Fox News that anyone could ever love, so it's probably worth pointing out.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

NathanScottPhillips posted:

Yes its very hard for Chechens to come to the US because of tough US laws regarding terror and Russia protesting. With only 200 Chechens in the US my guess would be that only the most well-off families are able to get people here. These guys probably had a nice life back home at the top of society and came here and were just average.

Some goon in the previous thread said that the brothers' father had actually been his car mechanic a few years ago before returning to Russia to work in Dagestan, a state bordering Chechnya, when he wasn't making enough money in the US. Apparently he was a lawyer originally before immigrating, so the story really isn't all that uncommon. It's quite usual to have people that who previously had higher education degrees in their home countries found it difficult to transfer those degrees over to the United States due to the difference in standards.

This whole situation really demonstrates the tragedy that is refugees. I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn than the eldest brother was deeply embittered by his experiences in Russia and, unable to return to lash out against that society, turned on his adoptive society after viewing it as equally corrupt as that of Russia. :smith:

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 20, 2013

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Sexy Randal posted:

He was armed and fired at the officers so they had to draw him out with tear gas and flashbangs.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Does anyone have that jpg (in English language) made by what seems to be :smug: Russians that basically said, "see, told you these Chechnyans were terrorists :smug:?" It was around the prior thread sometime around 6 am.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Some "expert" on CNN just said there were hundreds of thousands of Chechen refugees in America. Nice.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

the kawaiiest posted:

Yep, same here. Address and phone number.

Not me but I'm United Kingdom so I dunno what's up with you guys. I don't even change my drivers license anymore.

E: phone too? Wtf and I live in Texas too.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Samurai Sanders posted:

An article before said that there are only like 200 Chechen immigrants in the US (and they almost all live right around there), are there more of them in other countries?

I used to live about a mile from where they caught the guy and all I knew was that the place was very Armenian numbers-wise, iirc it was the highest-density population for Armenian folks. There was a museum there and everything. Didn't know about the Chechen demo tho

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Wildlife Analysis posted:

Some "expert" on CNN just said there were hundreds of thousands of Chechen refugees in America. Nice.
So a few tenths of Chechnya's population lives in the US? Ok, CNN guy.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Crasscrab posted:

Some goon in the previous thread said that the brothers' father had actually been his car mechanic a few years ago before returning to Russia to work in Dagestan, a state bordering Chechnya, when he wasn't making enough money in the US. Apparently he was a lawyer originally before immigrating, so the story really isn't all that uncommon. It's quite usual to have people that who previously had higher education degrees in their home countries found it difficult to transfer those degrees over to the United States due to the difference in standards.

I was that goon. He was a really great mechanic and super super cheap. We actually overpaid normally because his labor rate was too low. Only issue is that I would have to help out since it was just him so sometimes I would have to get the parts or give him an assist.

He was kind of a weird dude in some ways though. A little distant I guess or like not overly friendly but that is kind of common for people out of the North Caucasus in my experience. I know the personal story of one dude because I helped translate his asylum docs and I don't want to go into details but what he went through would destroy me as a person.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 20, 2013

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

jaegerx posted:

Not me but I'm United Kingdom so I dunno what's up with you guys. I don't even change my drivers license anymore.

E: phone too? Wtf and I live in Texas too.

All immigrants are required to notify the USCIS of any changes of address/phone number. So they know exactly where we all live.

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to notify them too. It doesn't matter where you're from at all.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Americans with Chechnyans in.. in. syria? uhhhh what https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm7j5bHBfxY

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Wildlife Analysis posted:

Thanks, CNN. Thanks for telling us about how the United States, a nation of immigrants and refugees, has thousands of refugees from an area of the world that has seen substantial internal conflict over the recent decades. I'm sure they're all eager to come here because they hate America and not because they want to escape a land ravaged by violence.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Crasscrab posted:

It's quite usual to have people that who previously had higher education degrees in their home countries found it difficult to transfer those degrees over to the United States due to the difference in standards.

This isn't so much about standards as it is about the fact that a law degree from country A generally doesn't even count as a degree in country B at all.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Now that this is all over I feel like it's only a matter of time before "got an open mic like the BPD" becomes a nerdcore (or maybe even mainstream rap) lyric.

Same goes for that light it up with the night sun line. That one was metal as all get out though.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Samurai Sanders posted:

So a few tenths of Chechnya's population lives in the US? Ok, CNN guy.

Apparently they just couldn't resist our freedom and liberty.

Denzer
May 15, 2009

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Does anyone have that jpg (in English language) made by what seems to be :smug: Russians that basically said, "see, told you these Chechnyans were terrorists :smug:?" It was around the prior thread sometime around 6 am.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Misandrist Duck posted:

You are absolutely right and there is going to be a serious conversation among journalists in the weeks to come about the ethics and responsibilities of sharing what they hear over police scanners that will hopefully be picked up by other people who use social media.

No there won't. The discussion will be about how to maximize the hype without actually saying anything.

It's a good thing the internet is around at the same time for profit journalism is making the last few rounds in the drain.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

flavor posted:

This isn't so much about standards as it is about the fact that a law degree from country A generally doesn't even count as a degree in country B at all.

Yea even here you have to take another BAR exam if you switch states because the laws are different. A lawyer from another country wouldn't really transfer at all.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

flavor posted:

That's what I meant. :downs: Wrong phrasing.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Spoeank posted:

Same goes for that light it up with the night sun line. That one was metal as all get out though.

What was this line? I've listened to a helluva lot of police radio over the past 24 hours but don't remember hearing this one.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

the kawaiiest posted:

All immigrants are required to notify the USCIS of any changes of address/phone number. So they know exactly where we all live.

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to notify them too. It doesn't matter where you're from at all.

Apparently it's not enforced very well since I've been moving for years without it. Pre/post 9/11. Then again I'm white with a Texas accent(yes racial profiling sucks).

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Falls Down Stairs posted:

What was this line? I've listened to a helluva lot of police radio over the past 24 hours but don't remember hearing this one.

It was in reference to the illumination device that the police helicopter had attached; they wanted the pilot to light up the boat from above for better visibility.

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax

demonachizer posted:

The dad definitely identified as ethnically Chechen.

Yeah, but he asked where they were born. Which from everything I've read was Kyrgyzstan.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Oh Russia, never change you lovely little diamond.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Falls Down Stairs posted:

Light him up with the Nightsun, by which they likely mean this thing

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Obligatory Handle posted:

Yeah, but he asked where they were born. Which from everything I've read was Kyrgyzstan.

I read somewhere that the family fled Chechnya because of the war.

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008

Crasscrab posted:

Thanks, CNN. Thanks for telling us about how the United States, a nation of immigrants and refugees, has thousands of refugees from an area of the world that has seen substantial internal conflict over the recent decades. I'm sure they're all eager to come here because they hate America and not because they want to escape a land ravaged by violence.

You should probably just stop watching 24 hour news channels altogether. I know this debacle has turned me off them forever. :(

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Spoeank posted:

Now that this is all over I feel like it's only a matter of time before "got an open mic like the BPD" becomes a nerdcore (or maybe even mainstream rap) lyric.

A more obvious bar would be

You leave me wretchin
You marathon bombing
Like you were a Chechen

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Casimir Radon posted:

Oh Russia, never change you lovely little diamond.
As with most things from that area (and hell, a lot of places in this world), both sides were terrible to each other. Just, mind-blowingly terrible.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Lt. Dans Legs posted:

You should probably just stop watching 24 hour news channels altogether. I know this debacle has turned me off them forever. :(

I've always had a distaste for cable news, but all of this has really just put back into perspective how hosed they all are.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Obligatory Handle posted:

I am pretty sure that they left the North Caucasus to Kyrgyzstan but don't quote me on it. I know that the dad really wanted to go back and try to get a life again there and was hoping to bring the whole family back once they finished their education. I might be fuzzy on some details because it isn't like we were bosom buddies. One time while we were there my 15 year old daughter hung out with his grand son watching cartoons. A really nice kid and you could tell the dude really loved him a lot. Tender etc.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Duke Chin posted:

As with most things from that area (and hell, a lot of places in this world), both sides were terrible to each other. Just, mind-blowingly terrible.

It's easy to lose your head reading up on the conflicts there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Crasscrab posted:

This whole situation really demonstrates the tragedy that is refugees. I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn than the eldest brother was deeply embittered by his experiences in Russia and, unable to return to lash out against that society, turned on his adoptive society after viewing it as equally corrupt as that of Russia. :smith:

It really depends on the degree. Law will pretty much never transfer anywhere, even between states in our own country. My doctor has a degree from Guadalajara that the US is apparently honoring.

• Locked thread