Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I don't think any plea deal he makes is going to be accepted by the DA/ whoever is in charge of the prosecution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Arthe Xavier posted:

I just want to say, that last night - when we all shared the intense experience of listening to the Boston PD through the scanner - was something special. It made me realize how unbelievable our technology is. Here I am, sitting at home in Finland, listening to the radio-chat of police officers half a world away through a live stream on the internet. Hoping with all my might that they catch the suspect alive. It was one of the strangest experiences of my life.

I live in Ma and work in Watertown - in the zone. I was supposed to be there except it was cancelled, obviously. My office, surrounding area and all the places I go to lunch were on and off the TV all day. I live close enough that I heard booms the night before presumably from the Watertown shootout and know 2 people in the zone who got their houses searched. One close enough to the boat shootout called us about 20 seconds after it well before it was on the news (after the scanner of course though).

Yet I was basically getting all my information from the same place you were and your experience in Finland was roughly the same as mine. That's what's crazy.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Mirthless posted:

I could honestly see this guy making a plea deal to get out of the death penalty and this never going to trial in the first place, so even if mirandizing was an issue it's probably not going to be an issue in this case unless the prosecution is hell bent on giving this guy a lethal injection.

Dude is getting killed.
Photo evidence of him walking calmly around before, a witness who lost legs watching him watch him place the bomb, walking away calmly, shoot out with cops, etc.
Unless he has super secret nuke intel on Iran theres very little to prevent the prosecution from just referring to the TV as evidence and saying case closed 10 secs later.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

AKA Pseudonym posted:

It apparently became necessary for the Ambassador of the Czech Republic to inform morons that they aren't Chechnya

http://www.mzv.cz/washington/en/czech_u_s_relations/news/statement_of_the_ambassador_of_the_czech.html

:magical:

To only think of the mail and calls they must have received for this become necessary. I wonder how hard those people struggled when Russia invaded Georgia...

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

El Hefe posted:

Does anyone know what sort of sentencing will this guy receive if he makes it to court alive and is found guilty of terrorism and the murders? Is death penalty a possibility?

Zacarias Moussaoui is alive in a supermax prison in Colorodo. I think that's because the US government struck a deal with Europe in exchange for evidence.

Theodore Kaczyinski is in the same prison. So is Timothy McVeigh. So is the shoe bomber. The 96 Atlanta Olympics bomber. One of the 93 World Trade Center Bombers.

Supermax is pretty much a living purgatory. Imagine this 23 hours a day/seven days a week:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

What could he possibly say that would give anyone any greater insight into his actions? What could he say where you would even see where they were coming from? There's no making sense of a senseless act.

If it was for a perceived injustice perpetrated by America? It might be idiotic and evil to do what they did but it would not be senseless nor would I be unable to see where they were coming from. When you feel someone has done ill to you it makes you mad and you do something stupid. It's that simple. Only what these two did killed and injured. I don't see what is so hard to grasp here, it's emotions scaled up.

Of course maybe they just did it for a laugh or they may have been affiliated with terrorists but with no real motivation beyond killing people. For every IRA that truly wanted a free Ireland another probably just wanted to murder someone.

This is why interrogating him is important. If he starts on about infidels and imperialists then you know he's another brainwashed kid. You may not like the answer but it wouldn't remain senseless.

Or is it that some people want the act to be senseless? Maybe some are happier in a world where there are monsters so there is a clear divide between heroes and villains?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Zacarias Moussaoui is alive in a supermax prison in Colorodo. I think that's because the US government struck a deal with Europe in exchange for evidence.

Theodore Kaczyinski is in the same prison. So is Timothy McVeigh. So is the shoe bomber. The 96 Atlanta Olympics bomber. One of the 93 World Trade Center Bombers.

Tim McVeigh was executed in 2001.

jack.
Sep 1, 2001

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Supermax is pretty much a living purgatory. Imagine this 23 hours a day/seven days a week:

McVeigh was executed 12 years ago.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Yeah this is what I think, I don't understand the people who want the death penalty for this guy, he's 19 and he's going to be in prison in solitary confinement for the rest of his life, killing him would be doing him a favor.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

As some people were talking about earlier, I'm also interested in confirmation that he shot from the boat. I tend to think it's unlikely he had anything left at that point otherwise he would have used it on himself and/or kept using it and gotten himself killed.

Is it confirmed that he climbed out of the boat himself? I saw that pic late last night. Speaks to his condition. But also if he had a gun or anything else present in that boat or anywhere nearby I tend to doubt they would have let him surrender himself.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

I need to check my sources.

lothar_
Sep 11, 2001

Don't Date Robots!
Forget that. If I don't get his public hanging, then at least build a special prison just for him where we switch out guards between Kyrgyzstan, Russia, and the U.S. every four months. When he's dead, it will be destroyed so that it doesn't become a shrine to neo-Dagestani independence forces to celebrate him as a martyr after their attempted coup of 2045 didn't go as planned.

Spartehcus
Sep 18, 2007
I'm Spartehcus!
I'm all for the city celebrating the conclusion of the manhunt, but the reaction of the people, especially in college-centered areas, was disgraceful.

After walking around the Fenway area this morning, there is trash, glass and cans covering the streets. Not only is there poo poo everywhere, but the few elderly residents that live in these areas, the ones who care about their neighborhoods, are out there this morning cleaning it all up.

It is unfair, and makes me disgusted with the majority of my generation.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Man, do I hate the predictable back patting the Internet gives itself after events like this. Some reddit gently caress is quoted in the la times wondering if traditional news outlets were "even needed" anymore and that redditors "we're inadvertidley doing their work for them".

Yeah dude, you really did all that journalism listening to police scanners and posting on reddit from home while wearing your fedora and pony t shirt. You gently caress.

That is all.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The suspects' uncle was just on the Today Show. He thinks the older brother was heavily influenced by somebody overseas, and that he was really influential in getting his younger brother to go along with the plan. He also said the older brother said some things that made him think his faith had gone from devout to something more "radicalized"

It was a really sad interview :smith:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

happyhippy posted:

Dude is getting killed.
Photo evidence of him walking calmly around before, a witness who lost legs watching him watch him place the bomb, walking away calmly, shoot out with cops, etc.
Unless he has super secret nuke intel on Iran theres very little to prevent the prosecution from just referring to the TV as evidence and saying case closed 10 secs later.

The prosecution does not determine guilt or innocence, that's up to the judge and jury. While there's no way this guy could ever walk, his lawyer could possibly convince a jury of his peers that coercion from his brother diminishes his guilt. Life without parole is a good trade to avoid the potential of him only serving x years and then getting out on parole.

I think you are probably right, but I don't think we should rule out a plea deal as a possibility.

Damo posted:

Man, do I hate the predictable back patting the Internet gives itself after events like this. Some reddit gently caress is quoted in the la times wondering if traditional news outlets were "even needed" anymore and that redditors "we're inadvertidley doing their work for them".

Yeah dude, you really did all that journalism listening to police scanners and posting on reddit from home while wearing your fedora and pony t shirt. You gently caress.

That is all.

Yeah. The delusion level on reddit right now is insane, the only thing that's surpassing the smugness of how "reddit cracked the case" is the total denial that they shipped five people upriver without any evidence aside from 'this guy was brown and wearing a backpack'. (or, in one case, this guy was brown and disappeared in the Boston area two weeks ago) I had one guy tell me that "only the idiots in the community were pointing fingers at the wrong people" - nevermind that reddit filters comments based on majority opinion, so the lynch mob never would have gotten rolling in the first place if the overwhelming majority of the community hadn't been behind it.

I would definitely argue that 'traditional news' is reaching a point where delivery of their service is too inefficient and clogged to be effective, but if anyone is going to supplant it, it sure as gently caress isn't going to be a community of twenty-something hipsters and beard-os misinterpreting current events through a filter of bizarre leftist racism and misogyny.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 20, 2013

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

El Hefe posted:

Yeah this is what I think, I don't understand the people who want the death penalty for this guy, he's 19 and he's going to be in prison in solitary confinement for the rest of his life, killing him would be doing him a favor.
I completely agree, but killing him makes sense for anyone who believes once he's executed, he'll be in hell and go "Well, dying sure sucked but now I'm in hell and it really sucks" instead of a few months of freaking out, a brief moment of discomfort and an eternity of nonexistence.

Rose Wreck
Jun 15, 2012

Marux posted:

The Colorful Radio Characters of the BPD: Following are some of the people heard on the radio and memes that were generated on the spot due to their recurrence or simply due to how hilarious they were.

Might also mention "bangin' uies out theyah" for the several pages' worth of goon confusion and commentary.

lothar_
Sep 11, 2001

Don't Date Robots!
MA doesn't have a death penalty. If the feds charge him, it'll be to get just that, but that's neither Holder's nor Obama's style.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

I would definitely rather die.

lothar_ posted:

MA doesn't have a death penalty. If the feds charge him, it'll be to get just that, but that's neither Holder's nor Obama's style.

Seriously?? Are we talking about the same DoJ here?? It would totally be Holder and Obama's style to execute a terrorist. Might be a little bit harder because he's a fresh faced 19 year old but I wouldn't be surprised for a second if they pushed hard for the needle.

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

Damo posted:

That is all.

Perhaps they should also remember that they propagated false information that Sunil Tripathi, the missing Brown student, was one of the suspects (as did the SA thread).

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Stare-Out posted:

I completely agree, but killing him makes sense for anyone who believes once he's executed, he'll be in hell and go "Well, dying sure sucked but now I'm in hell and it really sucks" instead of a few months of freaking out, a brief moment of discomfort and an eternity of nonexistence.

Life makes more sense, that way you can be CERTAIN he gets a lifetime in prison, and he will still go to hell afterward for his eternity.

Unless he makes amends, and redemption is supposed to be a part of most religions anyway.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

hailthefish posted:

"Got some conflicting planes we need to deconflict", "Bring some cold waddahs to the CP", etc.

"We need to cleah the meteor off the roof"
"Get a seal to that boat"

lothar_
Sep 11, 2001

Don't Date Robots!

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Seriously?? Are we talking about the same DoJ here?? It would totally be Holder and Obama's style to execute a terrorist. Might be a little bit harder because he's a fresh faced 19 year old but I wouldn't be surprised for a second if they pushed hard for the needle.

There hasn't been a federal execution in over 10 years, and the administration has more to lose from alienating death penalty opponents than trying to gain the support of those who will never vote for Dems anyway.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

tallian posted:

Life makes more sense, that way you can be CERTAIN he gets a lifetime in prison, and he will still go to hell afterward for his eternity.

Unless he makes amends, and redemption is supposed to be a part of most religions anyway.

Yeah, I think if there is even a fractional chance that this guy doesn't get death at court they're just going to give him a plea deal for life in supermax without parole. A lot of names got dragged through the mud and careers torpedoed with OJ and Casey Anthony, and those were just run of the mill murderers. Imagine being the prosecution team that failed to get a terrorist convicted successfully.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

tallian posted:

It does make sense but a death penalty (which I know doesn't exist in MA) is quicker and more satisfying for some people while the memories of his crimes are still fresh with the added "comfort" that the guy will be terrified while on death row, without having to wait until he dies in prison decades from now. A knee-jerk reaction is understandable coming from a lot of people who are still under trauma so soon after the events but of course it doesn't make it any less dumb to call for him to be executed.

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Though she is small, she is fierce.
What about 'LIGHT UP THE BOAT WITH THE MIDNIGHT SUN' :black101:

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Kevin "In n Out, Real Quick" Brennan 4 Lyfe.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

lothar_ posted:

There hasn't been a federal execution in over 10 years, and the administration has more to lose from alienating death penalty opponents than trying to gain the support of those who will never vote for Dems anyway.
Do they have more to lose? The president has reached his term limit. He doesn't have to pander for votes.

Also, I think you're looking at this too narrowly as a "let's do what will get us more votes" issue.

Apr 4, 2004

by T. Finninho
Scott Peterson is still waiting to be executed. This guy from yesterday will have plenty of time to rot if he gets dp.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

We executed McVeigh in 2001.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Stare-Out posted:

It does make sense but a death penalty (which I know doesn't exist in MA) is quicker and more satisfying for some people while the memories of his crimes are still fresh with the added "comfort" that the guy will be terrified while on death row, without having to wait until he dies in prison decades from now. A knee-jerk reaction is understandable coming from a lot of people who are still under trauma so soon after the events but of course it doesn't make it any less dumb to call for him to be executed.

Oh, totally.

The knee-jerk reaction is one reason I believe judgement is such cases should be deferred for a while after evidence is presented, to give emotions time to cool and justice to be meted out in a rational fashion. Maybe even allow for 2 trials, one where no verdict is reached(just evidence and arguments presented) and then a second 6 months or so later with a final ruling.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ehud posted:

The suspects' uncle was just on the Today Show. He thinks the older brother was heavily influenced by somebody overseas, and that he was really influential in getting his younger brother to go along with the plan. He also said the older brother said some things that made him think his faith had gone from devout to something more "radicalized"

It was a really sad interview :smith:
This seems like the most likely theory to me...they mentioned that he spent 6 months at home recently, and it's not long after he came back that this happened. There's evidence through Internet postings that the older brother was not feeling accepted in this country, but not the case with the younger brother. He probably surrendered because by that point his brother was dead and he wasn't willing to kill himself too.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Am I the only one kind of weirded out by how people are reacting to the cops catching the guy? The dumbass CNN reporter aside, the people giving high fives, thumbs up, big smiles, the police twitter saying "the terror is over, yeehaw!!"? It seems like this should be a more somber time, but I guess Americans love a good show even in tragedies.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...
There is no death penalty in Massachusetts. If the case is tried in the state, the most he can get is life without parole.

If it's tried as a federal case (which is almost assured, between the USAG on the scene and the terrorism angle) it's likely he'll still spend quite a few years before being excuted even if the sentence is handed down. Since 1988, the US has imposed 72 death sentences. Of those, 3 have been executed and 3 have died some other way (suicide, etc.). That data's a little under a year old, so they may have executed one or two more since then. And that's it; Tsarnaev's looking at a long time in jail regardless of the sentence.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.

Damo posted:

Kevin "In n Out, Real Quick" Brennan 4 Lyfe.

Boston's champion!

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Cameron posted:

Am I the only one kind of weirded out by how people are reacting to the cops catching the guy? The dumbass CNN reporter aside, the people giving high fives, thumbs up, big smiles, the police twitter saying "the terror is over, yeehaw!!"? It seems like this should be a more somber time, but I guess Americans love a good show even in tragedies.

You're not the only one, but you can also empathize with the huge number off innocents involved in the events of the past few days, which ended in several gun battles in residential neighborhoods. It's not that outlandish for a bit of rah rah from even the most professional of agencies.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Cameron posted:

I think there's a somberness underlying it, but after so much tension, and nervousness, and fear, people need to decompress and lighten the mood a little bit. I don't see anything disrespectful in it- there's still so much more seriousness to come (recovery for the injured, funerals, court proceedings, etc) that having a bit of a reprieve from it just seems healthy.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I have not cared for either brother, I can say.

I can't say I care for them either.

Edit: I hope they don't execute him. The death penalty is so barbaric.

Loucks fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Cameron posted:

No, I had a negative reaction to that immediately too. I felt relief that it was over but not joy. Not after two young people living in our society came to decide that they should blow it up. Praise and thanks for the police and people involved is entirely appropriate. But wild cheering and duck boat parades are not in my opinion.

Edit: Part of this is, again, because I don't see these people as outsiders. The fact that they are muslim is irrelevent. That's what this country is - a collection of people with vastly different backgrounds. There are lines to be drawn between foreigners and Americans, but not between different groups of Americans.

asdf32 fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 20, 2013

• Locked thread