Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

Was my contract good for you, too?
He's very similar to Rask, I'd say he's arguably the best in the division but I can't straight up say he's the best. I'd have both Tuuka and Price in my top 5, though.

Rene Rancourt fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Apr 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
You can at least argue that he is the best, and you can also win that argument. Therefore he is arguably the best.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I e-mailed IANSS my guy late last night but I guess I'm up before he is. Gimme a minute to write up a post.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
With their 5th round pick, the Toronto Maple Leafs are proud to select Patrick Sharp.

Contract: 5.9m per through 2016-17

:siren: SMUG ALERT :siren:

Here's another guy we're surprised fell to us. His injury this year may have him flying below the radar because in each of the past 6 years, he's posted at least 20 goals, scored 30+ goals in three of those seasons, and scored 60+ points in every season except one, where he was injured, but still on a 60 point pace. What a model of consistency! Even this year, he's on another 60 point pace while shooting at a career low shooting percentage. He should round out our starting lineup extremely well.

Neal-Kesler-Sharp
Giradi-Karlsson

Paulocaust fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 20, 2013

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
With their 5th round pick, the Ottawa Senators select Zbynek Michálek.

Salary: 4m per year until 2014-2015

A reliable shut-down defenceman with some offensive skills; Zbynek is known to give it all whenever he is on the ice, no matter if it's blocking shots, shutting down scoring threats or finishing a big hit. He rarely takes penalties and will provide an excellent first pairing partner with Keith Yandle. Him being the brother of Milan Michalek doesn't hurt either and their chemistry is bound to do great things for the team.

Michalek-Tavares-
Yandle-Michalek
Howard

Total Cap:
24.3m/70m

Rutkowski fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 20, 2013

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I thought Sharp was already taken, and that was why I passed on him. drat. He wasn't even on my list of 30+ players of guys I want.

eXXon posted:

Lecavalier is the player I was talking about earlier with a contract so terrible he should not be selected under any circumstances.

His contract is the worst in the league, but I don't think I am going to get close to the cap with this draft.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 20, 2013

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Twin Cinema posted:

I thought Sharp was already taken, and that was why I passed on him. drat. He wasn't even on my list of 30+ players of guys I want.
Yup thought he was taken to or I'd take him before Milan Michalek. It's a good pick.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Rutkowski posted:

Yup thought he was taken to or I'd take him before Milan Michalek. It's a good pick.

Yeah, people must be going off nhl.com's point totals list, because his injury is the only reason I can see people overlooking him, as he doesn't show up on the first few pages. I had to go over the googledoc like five times because it's very surprising that guys like Weiss were being taken before him.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

BTW, is 24.3m a high cap hit for five players(4 skaters + goaltender) or am I doing fine? AFAIK, none of my players have outrageous contracts(Howard is the worst but not horribly bad) but none is low either; Michalek is the lowest at 4m.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Welcome to Scenic Carolina, Jason Pominville! I hope Sabres fans who were around for the Series That Nearly Destroyed SAS have an aneurysm when they see Pominville skating with the 'Canes (sba?). But seriously, he's the best scoring winger still on board, which should help satisfy a worried Giroux, and not too pricey either (5.3 million). He has two 30 goal seasons to his name and like Sharp has been on a consistent 60 point pace except for 2010-11 (58 point pace). He had Vanek to finish his passes but otherwise gets less support than Sharp and has a weaksauce NTC instead of a full NMC. The only wart on his record is having only 2 years left on his deal. I would have preferred 3 so that it expires along with Yakupov & Hamilton's ELCs, but since he has a lame NTC and was traded this season for a pretty wicked haul, I'm confident that he'll either fetch a good return if things don't work out or re-sign to play with his Quebecois buddy Giroux (who, funnily enough, isn't actually from Quebec).

Yakupov-Giroux-Pominville
Hedman-Hamilton

... I think I need a goalie and #2C. Let's go, 46 more picks! :sigh:

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 20, 2013

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Rutkowski posted:

BTW, is 24.3m a high cap hit for five players(4 skaters + goaltender) or am I doing fine? AFAIK, none of my players have outrageous contracts(Howard is the worst but not horribly bad) but none is low either; Michalek is the lowest at 4m.

It's probably slightly above average, if not middle of the pack, but keep in mind Howard's cap hit goes up over 3m next year, so you're at 27.4 moving forward. There's a few teams have that palatable cap hits right now, but raises spike their cap for next year.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Paulocaust posted:

It's probably slightly above average, if not middle of the pack, but keep in mind Howard's cap hit goes up over 3m next year, so you're at 27.4 moving forward. There's a few teams have that palatable cap hits right now, but raises spike their cap for next year.
Actually, I counted with his higher cap hit and not the lower.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Paulocaust posted:

Yeah, people must be going off nhl.com's point totals list, because his injury is the only reason I can see people overlooking him, as he doesn't show up on the first few pages. I had to go over the googledoc like five times because it's very surprising that guys like Weiss were being taken before him.

I am going through the depth charts of each team. I must have missed him because I thought he was already taken. I definitely would have taken him before Lecavalier, even if I am just finding out that he's 31, which is about five years older than I thought Sharp would be.

e: My cap hit right now is $26,310,000, and that number is going to increase by about $4mil next year because of Lucic and Hall.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I had Sharp ranked with Pominville, an injury-prone veteran and yet another couple of rookies. A weak season this year + 5 more years of an NMC had me worried, though, so I'm glad to have been forced to take Pominville instead.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

eXXon posted:

I had Sharp ranked with Pominville, an injury-prone veteran and yet another couple of rookies. A weak season this year + 5 more years of an NMC had me worried, though, so I'm glad to have been forced to take Pominville instead.

But this season hasn't been weak, unless you mean getting hurt. Through injuries, he's put up a 60 point pace (small sample size, I know) while shooting at only 5% which has nowhere to go but up. And injury prone? He's missed 61 games in 8 NHL seasons. His only two "significant" injuries had him out 14 and 16 games respectively. I don't want to poo poo on your pick, but I don't think Pominville on Sharp are on equal ground.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

mennoknight posted:

:lol: Price is not even arguably the best in his division? I hope you're using these scouting skills to draft the rest of your team.

Must have been sleepy. I meant to say he's arguably not even the best goalie in his division let alone the league. I don't think there's is an argument to be made that he is the best in the league.

And I did draft that way. Rask is better.

Price has a career .915 save percentage. He has been top 5 in save percentage a single time (he was 5th). He was outplayed by his backup in the two years he had a real competitive backup and he has barely outplayed Peter loving Budaj the past two years.

E: Sharp is a great pick. The guy who took Weiss probably forgot about him but he probably also fell because people had centers.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Paulocaust posted:

But this season hasn't been weak, unless you mean getting hurt. Through injuries, he's put up a 60 point pace (small sample size, I know) while shooting at only 5% which has nowhere to go but up. And injury prone? He's missed 61 games in 8 NHL seasons. His only two "significant" injuries had him out 14 and 16 games respectively. I don't want to poo poo on your pick, but I don't think Pominville on Sharp are on equal ground.

... the injury-prone veteran is a guy who hasn't been picked, not Sharp.

They're nearly the same age, height, and have similar career regular season and playoff PPG, but okay sure dude every pick you make is a steal full of intangibles.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

eXXon posted:

... the injury-prone veteran is a guy who hasn't been picked, not Sharp.

They're nearly the same age, height, and have similar career regular season and playoff PPG, but okay sure dude every pick you make is a steal full of intangibles.

Geez, sorry I misread your post, but do you really have to be such a loving crybaby about everything? Sorry for giving my opinion and talking up my own players where the best teams are picked via opinion.

Paulocaust fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 20, 2013

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Paulocaust posted:

Geez, sorry I misread your post, but do you really have to be such a loving crybaby about everything? Sorry for giving my opinion and talking up my own players where the best teams are picked via opinion.

Yeah dude, I'm literally crying here over your posting, not comparing valuations of players.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

eXXon posted:

Yeah dude, I'm literally crying here over your posting, not comparing valuations of players.

Considering everyone except you that's posted after me commented that it was a good pick/surprised he was still around, then yeah, maybe the pick was a steal. The only reason you feel the need to say something is because you don't like me personally. Just put me on ignore so we don't derail the thread with this childish bullshit any more.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

E: Sharp is a great pick. The guy who took Weiss probably forgot about him but he probably also fell because people had centers.

I thought Sharp could play at any forward position? I am not sure what he is best suited for, though.

e: It looks like he is predominantly a RW, with a bit of C, but the depth chart I am looking at has him at LW.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Twin Cinema posted:

I thought Sharp could play at any forward position? I am not sure what he is best suited for, though.

e: It looks like he is predominantly a RW, with a bit of C, but the depth chart I am looking at has him at LW.

I view him as a C. I think that's why he is a good pick. I'm not as huge a fan of him on the wing. He's good not great. Lots of guys like him.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jordan7hm posted:

I view him as a C. I think that's why he is a good pick. I'm not as huge a fan of him on the wing. He's good not great. Lots of guys like him.

I always figured he was RW as well? Any Chicago fans here to weigh in on this? It'd be nice to round out my first line, but if he's better suited for center, I'm not gonna balk at a Kesler/Sharp 1-2 punch.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Twin Cinema posted:

He alternates between C/W and supposedly prefers W (who wouldn't if it means playing with Toews and Hossa/Kane). 63% on faceoffs is pretty drat good, though it's from like 60 draws so statistics.

I'm not even sure why you took offense in the first place, Paulocaust, since I said I had Sharp and Pominville ranked equally, but okay, you'll go back on ignore.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 20, 2013

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Paulocaust posted:

I always figured he was RW as well? Any Chicago fans here to weigh in on this? It'd be nice to round out my first line, but if he's better suited for center, I'm not gonna balk at a Kesler/Sharp 1-2 punch.

He was the #2 C during their cup run, which is definitely the most I've watched him play.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

eXXon posted:

He alternates between C/W and supposedly prefers W (who wouldn't if it means playing with Toews and Hossa/Kane). 63% on faceoffs is pretty drat good.

I'm not even sure why you took offense in the first place, Paulocaust, since I said I had Sharp and Pominville ranked equally, but okay, you'll go back on ignore.

I didn't, I read your post wrong, gave my opinion, and said I don't think Pominville and Sharp were on equal ground. I wasn't trying to be rude, but you took offense to it and made some sarcastic comment about all my picks being steals with intangibles.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Who cares, both your teams suck anyway :colbert:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Who cares, both your teams suck anyway :colbert:

Yeah well you picked Jack Johnson so there. I hope that jerk stays famous for his folk singing and being traded away from a team that won the Cup the same year.

re: Lecavalier, if he retires in 2019 before the final year of his contract, his cap hit for the next season will be nearly $17 million. And if Kovalchuk retires when he's 40 (in 2023), he'll cost the Devils a solid $13.7 million for two seasons.

Jordan7hm posted:

... who score 30 goals fairly regularly? I see maybe 2 or 3 at most.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

eXXon posted:

... who score 30 goals fairly regularly? I see maybe 2 or 3 at most.

Yep never mind no guys left. No sirree.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Considered Sharp with my last pick, but age, contract, and recent sporadic injury issues stayed my hand. On top of that, the guy plays with some world class forward talent which, again, I may not be able to field for a season or two, and I don't think he's the same 30 goal scorer without it. So for my team his value just wasn't as high. Good pick on a team with more proven offensive linemates, though. Without the bum rush on youth he'd likely have been taken last round.

And all this talk about how 'Oh I would have taken him if I thought he was still available!' should reinforce why we aren't discussing undraftees.

E: Paulocaust, maybe it's just me, but you've responded to more than one critique (or even assumed critique) of your pic with some reactionary, quasi-juvenile dig back at the poster in question. Maybe that's why exxon replied as he did. :iiam:

Habibi fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 20, 2013

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Yeah, I don't think Sharp was a good pick there. Pominville is a better point producer, is younger, and less injury prone.

Pominville is a pick I really liked, by the way. He was top of my list even before I picked Enstrom.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
nvm

Paulocaust fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 20, 2013

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

mentholmoose posted:

Yeah, I don't think Sharp was a good pick there. Pominville is a better point producer, is younger, and less injury prone.

Pominville is a pick I really liked, by the way. He was top of my list even before I picked Enstrom.

Yeah, Pominville was a very good pick. I would've taken Enstrom had I not had ANY centers, with the list of good ones dwindling fast. I LOVE Enstrom. If he was on Pittsburgh he would be a loving god.

Anyway, my pick is pretty soon and I was planning on taking one of two players at a certain position, but I see that a player at another position hasn't been drafted yet and if he falls to me there's no loving way I'm letting him get past.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

In a turn of events, Starsfan has drafted Brandon Saad AGAIN

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
When you take production, salary, age and :swoon: looks :swoon: into account, I think Patrick Sharp was a fine pick.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

mentholmoose posted:

Really? Sharp has been scoring more the previous two seasons. Quality of linemates/teams/coaches probably evens it out, or looking back further.

Although now I see that there is a better player on board, so hopefully he drops another 1.5 rounds. But he'll likely go in the next 5.

e: Saad again? Does he have a twin? It would be nice to see every brother in the NHL reunited. Sedins and Michaleks are already there.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 20, 2013

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

eXXon posted:

Really? Sharp has been scoring more the previous two seasons. Quality of linemates/teams/coaches probably evens it out, or looking back further.

Although now I see that there is a better player on board, so hopefully he drops another 1.5 rounds. But he'll likely go in the next 5.

e: Saad again? Does he have a twin? It would be nice to see every brother in the NHL reunited. Sedins and Michaleks are already there.

Lettuce pick salad

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Give me 30 minutes to run home, I'll make my pick then.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

eXXon posted:

Pominville is the more consistent player and better playmaker, but Sharp shoots a ton. Also - did someone say injuries with Pominville? He's not injury prone at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

They're both pretty good. Sharp has an ability to play center but he's really not good at it. He plays like a winger and should be a winger, and as mentioned, he shoots a ton and he's a great guy to have in your top six, although for how much longer, that can't be said.

Pominville is gonna do more things away from the puck than Sharp and he's younger and probably the better pick, but hey, centers are at a premium now and if Sharp CAN slot there then why not?

• Locked thread