Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

I honestly can't believe that a "TERRORISTA #1" vanity plate is part of this unfolding story

It's not an official vanity plate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Wildlife Analysis posted:

No, I assume he is unreliable because he seems to be Russian and jumped to the "maybe he just hates Americans" crap. The context of the situation makes me doubt his reliability.

Tell me more about your views on Russians and their unreliability.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Is it possible we can get that plate on some kind of sexy molestation bomb robot?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Lolie posted:

We want explanations which otherise those who commit atrocities and which reassure us that monsters exist and we can potentially identify them before they cause any harm. We want explanations which make some kind of sense to us - money, revenge, jealousy - not "I don't like Mondays".

The problem is, the people that commit these atrocities usually aren't the type of people that would come out with a reason that would make sense to us - it's a form of bias I think, basically we're wanting to see them as rational actors with some sense, but by definition if you think 'lets blow up the marathon, it'll be shits n giggles bro', then you're not a rational actor.

And regarding the whole argument of him potentially being roped into it, it's certainly a possibility if you ignore all other evidence - when I was at school, I was roped into a "prank" that ended up with an attempted murder threat being thrown around. But the moment I realised that the 'prank' was a lot more serious than a prank, I backed off and attempted to get help for the victim. His tweets are truly damning that he either did not take it seriously in any way or that he was sociopathic at this point. Now, there COULD be an argument that he could have been in shock and didn't take it seriously because of de-realization, but that couldn't really have lasted 4 days.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

OctaviusBeaver posted:

It's pretty clear he's commenting on the reliability of a Russian individual.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Oh gently caress off. I'd have the same reaction if it was an Israeli poster going on about how some Palestinian must hate America after committing a crime. It casts doubt on their opinion, especially since their opinion is pulled firmly out of their rear end.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yeah, he is a 9/11 truther according to one of his tweets.

Haha, somehow being a truther just adds to him being a complete idiot who ran over his brother.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 21, 2013

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

beejay posted:

I'm not even sure what is happening here.

Goons being Goons, as usual.

It's funny to read the same people (rightfully) make fun of all the conspiracy nuts and on the same page argue about how possibly maybe the dude might not have been aware of what he was doing while bombing a marathon and having a shootout with the police and really, he probably didn't mean to but his brother just really made him do it!

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

The guy is 19, not 5. Why are so many here thinking his brother controlled his mind? (holy poo poo the dreamed up dialogue earlier..)

BuhamutZeo
Jun 1, 2011

SybilVimes posted:

The problem is, the people that commit these atrocities usually aren't the type of people that would come out with a reason that would make sense to us - it's a form of bias I think, basically we're wanting to see them as rational actors with some sense, but by definition if you think 'lets blow up the marathon, it'll be shits n giggles bro', then you're not a rational actor.

And regarding the whole argument of him potentially being roped into it, it's certainly a possibility if you ignore all other evidence - when I was at school, I was roped into a "prank" that ended up with an attempted murder threat being thrown around. But the moment I realised that the 'prank' was a lot more serious than a prank, I backed off and attempted to get help for the victim. His tweets are truly damning that he either did not take it seriously in any way or that he was sociopathic at this point. Now, there COULD be an argument that he could have been in shock and didn't take it seriously because of de-realization, but that couldn't really have lasted 4 days.

You're right, gently caress him and the horse he could have rode out on.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Burning Mustache posted:

It's funny to read the same people (rightfully) make fun of all the conspiracy nuts and on the same page argue about how possibly maybe the dude might not have been aware of what he was doing while bombing a marathon and having a shootout with the police and really, he probably didn't mean to but his brother just really made him do it!

My brother tried to make me take out the trash this morning and I told him to gently caress off, I'm not planting his bomb.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There's a video of him firing at officers in Watertown shortly before he was captured, so if he was going to off himself, he easily could have.

Or perhaps he wasted all his ammo thinking he could shoot his way out. Or fumbled the magazine and it dropped down the scupper or some poo poo.

e: Perhaps his brother made the bombs and he thought it was confetti.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

stuxracer posted:

The guy is 19, not 5. Why are so many here thinking his brother controlled his mind? (holy poo poo the dreamed up dialogue earlier..)

It is possible that he looked up to his brother like a father figure and that influenced him. He could have done it because that girl never invited him back over after he string cheese'd her couch and took her cat. It is all baseless.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Burning Mustache posted:

How many of us can truly say our extremist older brother never duped us into helping him murder a child? Boy was my face red when I saw the shattered remains of our victims. I had to go to a party to get my mind off it before the big violent shootout. It happens.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The Entire Universe posted:

Or perhaps he wasted all his ammo thinking he could shoot his way out. Or fumbled the magazine and it dropped down the scupper or some poo poo.

I don't think the mind of a man who could maliciously carry someone's cat upstairs could come up short like that. I mean, come on.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Burning Mustache posted:

Do you have evidence that shows one way or the other. Its completely possible he was manipulated, brainwashed, or even the drat mastermind. I'm just seeing everyone pass judgement and they don't have anymore "proof" than what the rest of us have.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

ethanol posted:

Campus police at universities (especially with all the school shootings and prevalent drugs) are almost always fully armed and fully funded police departments. They are not mall cops. The university I went to (vermont) had the highest paid police force in the state. So yes, there is probably a dash cam, but it only points forward and likely doesn't show the shooting.

At public schools. I went to UMass, and our cops were employees of the state. Smith's "public safety" officers, on the other hand, were basically mall cops. I don't know where MIT falls on this spectrum. The only time I've ever interacted with them is staffing events. The campus is very peaceful.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

quote:

Emily DeInnocentis, 23, said Tsarnaev came to her house for a party uninvited last fall and spread string cheese on the couch and took her cat upstairs for no reason, The Globe reported.

“We just didn’t invite him over after that,” she told the newspaper. “How many people just pick up your cat and go upstairs?”

the kawaiiest posted:

I can't stop laughing at this, it's just... why is this even in the article?

e: from here http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/dzhokhar-tsarnaev-partied-gym-days-bombing-article-1.1322828

Wow gently caress this guy

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

We have no idea if this was his actual motivation. The fact that he is a Chechen Muslim does not make him "hate America" or any other such crap. The fact that you seem to speak Russian and have a Russian username makes me less than willing to invest much in your opinion.

Look, at 19 kids in this country tend to obsess about their identity and heritage. They also tend to be passionate about doing the right thing. I don't think he had to look very far to make himself believe that Americans "hate" muslisms, and I think his brother heavily influenced him on this. Look at FOX news, or any right wing affiliated source. This crap is on TV!

Also I'm glad that my country of origin makes my opinion less valid.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Arschlochkind posted:

How many of us can truly say our extremist older brother never duped us into helping him murder a child? Boy was my face red when I saw the shattered remains of our victims. I had to go to a party to get my mind off it before the big violent shootout. It happens.
As the oldest brother, I remember once when I tried to get my youngest brother to eat frosted flakes with 7-up instead of milk for my amusement. I even offered him ten bucks to do it. He still didn't do it.

He wouldn't even do that for his big brother, and he was ACTUALLY a child.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 21, 2013

The Real Quaid
Jun 29, 2012

Oh gently caress off. I'd have the same reaction if it was an Israeli poster going on about how some Palestinian must hate America after committing a crime. It casts doubt on their opinion, especially since their opinion is pulled firmly out of their rear end.

Is it the opinions of all Jews you distrust, or just Israelis?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Burning Mustache posted:

Look at the Patty Hearst case. Imagine the equivalent of someone kidnapping Paris Hilton and she turns up later robbing a bank with her kidnappers. Psychological poo poo can be weird.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Do you have evidence that shows one way or the other. Its completely possible he was manipulated, brainwashed, or even the drat mastermind. I'm just seeing everyone pass judgement and they don't have anymore "proof" than what the rest of us have.

On the one hand, you have people that worry he was coerced by his older brother somehow. On the other hand, you have the people that recognize that the simplest solution is probably more likely and that there is zero evidence for coercion except that his older brother was involved.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

The Entire Universe posted:

e: Perhaps his brother made the bombs and he thought it was confetti.

I'm waiting for better confirmation he fired from the boat. I've suspected that he was out of ammo or lost the gun by then. Otherwise I think it would have played out differently.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Pycckuu posted:

Look, at 19 kids in this country tend to obsess about their identity and heritage. They also tend to be passionate about doing the right thing. I don't think he had to look very far to make himself believe that Americans "hate" muslisms, and I think his brother heavily influenced him on this. Look at FOX news, or any right wing affiliated source. This crap is on TV!

Also I'm glad that my country of origin makes my opinion less valid.

The issue is that it could be any number of reasons. The fact that you latched onto him "hating America" calls into question your reliability, especially since you are admittedly Russian.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I will be skeptical of it until more information is released.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Petey posted:

At public schools. I went to UMass, and our cops were employees of the state. Smith's "public safety" officers, on the other hand, were basically mall cops. I don't know where MIT falls on this spectrum. The only time I've ever interacted with them is staffing events. The campus is very peaceful.

Yes, that is a good distinction. I think the MIT police are in fact armed with fully fledged police cars.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

asdf32 posted:

I'm waiting for better confirmation he fired from the boat. I've suspected that he was out of ammo or lost the gun by then. Otherwise I think it would have played out differently.

If you're thinking suicide, all he had to do was pop up out of the boat with his gun in his hand and be a nice big target.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

The Real Quaid posted:

Is it the opinions of all Jews you distrust, or just Israelis?

I love how you are turning this into an anti-Semitic thing. Congratulations, I guess.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Do you have any evidence that this isn't a false flag attack perpetrated by Dick Cheney to drum up support for torture?
Maybe the younger brother tricked his older brother and then when his older brother tried to turn himself in he hit him with his car?

Edit: just asking questions.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 21, 2013

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Actually all the evidence that exists to the media shows he was an active participant in all of this and the law does not have to prove a negative sorry your disgusting theory doesn't have traction.

And again, this conversation is completely moot except to possibly get him out of the death penalty. Because even if your stupid theory is 110% right and the brother made him do all this he is still completely liable because you cannot kill people to save your own rear end.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...qKOM/story.html

Globe posted:

An emerging portrait of the brothers accused in the Boston Marathon bombings suggested that the older of the two, ­Tamerlan Tsarnaev, embraced a more radical form of Islam in recent years.

But scholars cautioned Friday against concluding that the Tsarnaevs’ motives were purely religious. Tamerlan Tsarnaev, who was killed in a firefight with police early Friday morning, appeared to sympathize with Islamic extremists agitating for Chechen independence from Russia.

But family, neighbors, friends, and social media sources painted a complex picture of the brothers’ religiosity.

“The story that seems to be developing here is more along the lines of standard alienated man goes out and commits atrocities, much more like the school shootings we’ve seen than organized Islamic insurgency,” said Yuri Zhukov, a fellow at the Program on Global Society and Security at Harvard University’s Weatherhead Center who studies extremism in the Caucasus.

The Globe's coverage here has been fantastic by the way.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Yeah it might also be possible that he intended to place some celebratory fireworks next to the finish line, but a completely different person aptly managed to replace the confetti in his pressure cookers with ball bearings and nails.

We should consider all the angles here, people!

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Godholio posted:

On the one hand, you have people that worry he was coerced by his older brother somehow. On the other hand, you have the people that recognize that the simplest solution is probably more likely and that there is zero evidence for coercion except that his older brother was involved.

There is also zero evidence of premeditated intent so far as well. Most likely he was a willing accomplice but juries are supposed to rule on "beyond reasonable doubt".

ClemenSalad posted:

Actually all the evidence that exists to the media shows he was an active participant in all of this and the law does not have to prove a negative sorry your disgusting theory doesn't have traction.

And again, this conversation is completely moot except to possibly get him out of the death penalty. Because even if your stupid theory is 110% right and the brother made him do all this he is still completely liable because you cannot kill people to save your own rear end.

Do you not understand the difference in degrees of murder: "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_%28United_States_law%29#Degrees_of_murder_in_the_United_States"

There is a difference of punishment depending on the involvement of the crime.

No he shouldn't be excused for what he did. He should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. However give him due process before passing judgement.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 21, 2013

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Miltank posted:

Do you have any evidence that this isn't a false flag attack perpetrated by Dick Cheney to drum up support for torture?
Maybe the younger brother tricked his older brother and then when his older brother tried to turn himself in he hit him with his car?
"bro, you ran over me with a car. do not let them get you esse. livin la vida looocccaaaaaaaa....."

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

This isn't something that has to be proven dude.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

ClemenSalad posted:

The idea of spontaneous terrorism is kind of amusing to me.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
On the whole 9/11 truther bit, here's a blog post from a person claiming to have known Mrs. Tsarnaev.

http://alyssalindley.tumblr.com/post/48368749553/ive-met-the-boston-bombers

If its true, it might explain the mother's insistence on her sons' innocence.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Godholio posted:

If you're thinking suicide, all he had to do was pop up out of the boat with his gun in his hand and be a nice big target.

Plus some people just wouldn't want or be able to kill themselves. Like yeah, sitting here we can probably decide that dying would be better than being in a supermax for the next 50+ years, but I'm sure a significant number of people couldn't put a gun to their head and go through with it in the moment.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

ClemenSalad posted:

Ah. Whats he been formally charged with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

There is also zero evidence of premeditated intent so far as well. Most likely he was a willing accomplice but juries are supposed to rule on "beyond reasonable doubt".

The problem with reasonable doubt is you have a really loving weird definition of "reasonable" :psyduck:

• Locked thread