Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Vietnamwees posted:

Sorry I just came back to the thread, and this Miranda rights thing seems really weird.

Why don't they just read him his Miranda rights? Isn't that supposed to happen RIGHT when you get arrested? Why are they explicitly NOT doing this?
Read the thread you lazy piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Vietnamwees posted:

Sorry I just came back to the thread, and this Miranda rights thing seems really weird.

Why don't they just read him his Miranda rights? Isn't that supposed to happen RIGHT when you get arrested? Why are they explicitly NOT doing this?

Please tell me you are trolling.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Once I knew a Swede who had been taken in by the police for drunken foolishness all over Europe and told me about how in the various countries to tell whether you had been arrested or not. He said it usually involved whether they threw some kind of paper at you that explained your rights or not. That was an interesting conversation.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Vietnamwees posted:

Isn't that supposed to happen RIGHT when you get arrested?

NO. Miranda warnings rarely are in real life, this is a dramatic tv thing. They are read before questioning about the crime if they want to use it in court. The police used a public safety exemption to this to ask about a narrow topic and ONLY about this topic, are there more bombs anywhere?

He is FREE to remain silent or have a lawyer throughout this entire process. Its a warning not a bestowment of rights that the police are holding back.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

Lolie posted:

I'll see if I can find the research. It wasn't about attitudes to Americans abroad, it was about attitudes towards the US as a nation. A huge amount of the negative attitudes related to what was perceived as "bullying" or unwarranted "interference" by the US in the affairs of other nations, including allied nations.
To elaborate on this a bit:

The wikileaks leak of US embassy communications revealed that the Bush appointed US ambassador to NZ tried to stop a NZ government minister attending a fundraising screening of Fahrenheit 9/11 (which was pretty popular here) because he saw it as anti-American. I think the response of the politicians is pretty telling of a general attitude towards America. Luckily the current US ambassador is far better.

quote:

Opposition leader Phil Goff, who was foreign minister in Clark's left-leaning government, said Swindells only became ambassador because he was a contributor to then US president George W Bush's campaign.

"It's the norm for the Americans to appoint ambassadors that aren't professionals... Charles I think really suffered from a lack of knowledge and a lack of understanding of how countries work and what they do[," he told reporters.

"He had his job because he's obviously a big contributor to the Republican Party. He made the assumption because he thought about the world in a particular way other people might as well."
So yeah, when you get stuff like that even from people whose job it is to make people like America, it tends to affect attitudes towards America. The Bush years really hurt public opinion, I think. When you hear about places like FOX demonising everything "foreign" as bad, it makes you want to say "well gently caress you too". I imagine living within that is far worse, especially if you've already lived somewhere else and so have a basis for comparison.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

the runs formula posted:

Do you have a chart or graph of this so I can put it in a spreadsheet?

This isn't the research I'm thinking of, but the Pew Research Centre does polls on global attitudes towards the US. The questions are kept consistent from year to year and cover both cultural and political issues.

http://www.pewglobal.org/database/?indicator=4&mode=chart

There's also a book based on this research which explores the issue of global opinion of the US, the beliefs underlying that opinion, and instances where that opinion diverges from reality.

http://www.pewresearch.org/2006/05/09/the-problem-of-american-exceptionalism/

To give you a personal example of how insidious these attitudes can be, I was shocked that a suspect was taken alive - it's simply not what I've come to expect of US law enforcement.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Well, I've seen my share of law and order and

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

platedlizard posted:

This has already been discussed. Not reading his Miranda rights doesn't mean that he doesn't have those rights. The initial interrogation isn't about getting evidence, it's about finding out if he has any other bombs rigged to go, or accomplices who are going to bomb things right now. It is a public safety issue. Likely he will get Miranda read to him when they actually question him in regards to the actual crime.

I dunno, maybe I misread the article but from what I gathered they weren't going to apply the rights to him. Of course, this is probably the media being vague as usual and getting things wrong. I know that the rights don't technically have to be read to be in effect and he doesn't have these rights until the actual questioning begins. From what I read the issue is the part in regards to self incrimination since they are trying to find out if he is part of a greater terrorist group or acted alone since that is on the border between collecting evidence and public safety.

But yeah, I think I just think that what I read was either misleading and poorly worded, or I just misunderstood what they were trying to say. Like I said, I wasn't concerned about the whole not saying it to him, but rather the idea of not applying the laws to him.

As for him walking on the crime, I highly doubt that that would happen but you never know, stranger things have happened for stupid reasons.

In any case, I admit that I was dumb in not understanding what they were actually doing, which is standard operating procedure.

Really though, the treating them as enemy combatants things is just plain dumb. And trying to say that because they threw bombs and shot guns at the cops they are enemy combatants is also dumb. It isn't like normal criminals don't get into shootouts with the cops or even throw "bombs" at pursuing officers from time to time. (Though the throwing explosives thing is much, much rarer of an occurance). And really, unless the brothers intended to get into a huge firefight with the police for the sole sake of killing police officers rather than trying to escape, I hardly see how that is applicable to whether or not they are enemy combatants.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

jadebullet posted:

I dunno, maybe I misread the article but from what I gathered they weren't going to apply the rights to him. Of course, this is probably the media being vague as usual and getting things wrong. I know that the rights don't technically have to be read to be in effect and he doesn't have these rights until the actual questioning begins. From what I read the issue is the part in regards to self incrimination since they are trying to find out if he is part of a greater terrorist group or acted alone since that is on the border between collecting evidence and public safety.

But yeah, I think I just think that what I read was either misleading and poorly worded, or I just misunderstood what they were trying to say. Like I said, I wasn't concerned about the whole not saying it to him, but rather the idea of not applying the laws to him.

As for him walking on the crime, I highly doubt that that would happen but you never know, stranger things have happened for stupid reasons.

In any case, I admit that I was dumb in not understanding what they were actually doing, which is standard operating procedure.

Really though, the treating them as enemy combatants things is just plain dumb. And trying to say that because they threw bombs and shot guns at the cops they are enemy combatants is also dumb. It isn't like normal criminals don't get into shootouts with the cops or even throw "bombs" at pursuing officers from time to time. (Though the throwing explosives thing is much, much rarer of an occurance). And really, unless the brothers intended to get into a huge firefight with the police for the sole sake of killing police officers rather than trying to escape, I hardly see how that is applicable to whether or not they are enemy combatants.

I'm going to have an aneurysm.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ClemenSalad posted:

The police used a public safety exemption to this to ask about a narrow topic and ONLY about this topic, are there more bombs anywhere?

Eh, that's debate able and involves trusting the government to a fair extent, Glen Greenwald's article goes over all this. Regardless, it won't make a difference in his conviction, but let's be honest, the reason they're doing this is because rights for terror suspects have become politicized. They could read him his rights first and then ask the questions, or if they fear co-conspirators they could ask the questions and then not try to use whatever he says then in court.

Neither approach would be likely to make all that much difference because of all the other evidence, but still, the reason they're choosing this option over others is because it scores Obama some political points and keeps McCain from scoring others. And that is actually a real problem.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

This was very interesting. Thanks for the link.

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!
I'm not happy, guys.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
They aren't being treated as enemy combatants.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
I just woke up, was he read his Miranda rights?

Tamerlane posted:

I'm not happy, guys.

Might need a new username.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Blimpkin posted:

As far as I know those rights only need to be read to people who are named miranda

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Wildlife Analysis posted:

They aren't being treated as enemy combatants.

Well no, but that doesn't stop some people for calling for it, such as the 3 representatives.

Also, I apologize for causing such turmoil. This thread seems to be very angry and I had no intent to make it angrier.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Cue the Fox News bullshit that Islam itself is the enemy entity and thus they should be classified as enemy combatants.

I'm not kidding, you will hear this in a few weeks tops.

E: not in yospos, my b

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
http://m.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/apr/20/tsarnaev-brothers-dagestan-boston-bombings

Article on Tamerlan's time in Dagestan

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Blimpkin posted:

He actually read their police their Miranda rights, so on that technicality, he will go scott free.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

ClemenSalad posted:

I'm going to have an aneurysm.

Seriously, the police are just asking him if there are any immediate threats to the public which they can do prior a formal arrest. After they determine there aren't any stray pipe bombs or whatever they had laying about the neighbourhood because they dropped them or something, then they read the Miranda rights and he gets his phone call. It's not like he is being denied rights or anything, just that it's been determined there could be a threat to public safety and they are postponing the Miranda caution.

The media, on the other hand, are making it look like he's going to be shipped off to Gitmo for some waterboarding next week judging from how they are explaining this.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Blimpkin posted:

If the first Tamerlane didn't ruin it, a second one killing like 4 people won't.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Justin Godscock posted:

The media, on the other hand, are making it look like he's going to be shipped off to Gitmo for some waterboarding next week judging from how they are explaining this.

And they're for or against that waterboarding.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Justin Godscock posted:

the police are just asking him

I thought he was uncommunicative in serious condition in a hospital, how are they asking him anything?

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

jadebullet posted:

Well no, but that doesn't stop some people for calling for it, such as the 3 representatives.

Also, I apologize for causing such turmoil. This thread seems to be very angry and I had no intent to make it angrier.

Only because every page/half of Facebook has someone posting "I HEARD HE WASN'T READ HIS MIRANDA RIGHTS THATS UNCOBSTITUTIONAL I GUESS NEXT STEP IS NAZI AMERICA" and it's a very tired subject at this point.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I thought he was uncommunicative in serious condition in a hospital, how are they asking him anything?

If he really can't speak, he sure can type and write. Or blink twice for no.

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin
Geeze guys, just read the 66 pages of the thread. What are you? Stupid dummies that can't move their field of vision across their monitor for about an hour? Frankly I'm tired of typing for five minutes so why don't you just go do it yourself. You lazy stupid jerk. GOD!

I hope this guy is grounded for life with no supper.

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!

Blimpkin posted:

on behalf of all surviving Tamerlanes, I

OH NO MY DICK
Feb 24, 2013

Forums Jesus

Legin Noslen posted:

Geeze guys, just read the 66 pages of the thread. What are you? Stupid dummies that can't move their field of vision across their monitor for about an hour? Frankly I'm tired of typing for five minutes so why don't you just go do it yourself. You lazy stupid jerk. GOD!

Or read just like, one, since this is discussed on drat near every page. Or better yet, have at least a cursory knowledge of American law. Hell, it can be from Law and Order, since there are episodes where they convict without a Miranda warning all the time.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
loving Reddit:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...71_story_1.html

When crowdsourcing fails utterly

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Legin Noslen posted:

Well, that's how people get when a stupid topic is discussed for pages and pages on end, then finally laid to rest, and someone comes in and starts it up again.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Legin Noslen posted:

The answer to his question was literally 1 post above him.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Vhak lord of hate posted:

Only because every page/half of Facebook has someone posting "I HEARD HE WASN'T READ HIS MIRANDA RIGHTS THATS UNCOBSTITUTIONAL I GUESS NEXT STEP IS NAZI AMERICA" and it's a very tired subject at this point.

Sadly, my facebook is just the opposite. Mine is full of posts demanding that he doesn't deserve rights because the is an "Al Kaida terrorist muslim." Oh, and one guy saying that this is just the USSR getting revenge upon us for winning the cold war. But yes, I see how this could be aggravating.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Hahaha I love that quote.

"I’d take thousands of people over a select few very smart investigators any day"

Yeah, because a thousand people who have no idea what they're doing are way more effective than the actual loving investigators. I'd like that applied to any other field.

'I'd take thousands of people over a select few very smart surgeons any day'

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

I am sure that this is exactly what the investigators needed. A bunch of people on the internet spamming their inbox with theories and other poo poo like that while people played armchair CSI. Wouldn't this just flood the information pool and potentially cause crucial evidence and statements to actually be missed in amongst the sea of bad theories.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

jadebullet posted:

Sadly, my facebook is just the opposite. Mine is full of posts demanding that he doesn't deserve rights because the is an "Al Kaida terrorist muslim." Oh, and one guy saying that this is just the USSR getting revenge upon us for winning the cold war. But yes, I see how this could be aggravating.

I see you didn't read the OP either.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

jadebullet posted:

This may come as a surprise but no one gives a poo poo what people on your facebook are saying.

HackerJoeGuy
Apr 18, 2007

It's nice to see that those sites are being brought to task. Then you have poo poo like this :

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2417978,00.asp

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Hey guys I heard some woman named Miranda said they were right, but some said that they were enemies and combative? Or something? Sorry I can't loving read.

Also White Hat's truther post on Twitter makes sense in light of what his mother (supposedly) said in the article. Did Tamerlan influence Dzhokhar into truther nonsense or was it a craxiness feedback loop between them?

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

HackerJoeGuy posted:

It's nice to see that those sites are being brought to task. Then you have poo poo like this :

I like how the Washington Post article mentions how Reddit actually hindered the investigation because of all the useless leads they kept phoning in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck This Puzzle
Mar 22, 2013

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes

HackerJoeGuy posted:

Is this a loving troll. You could post that on the Onion.

• Locked thread