Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Xandu posted:

Has anybody said what their uncle does for a living?

Drop sick loving burns, 24/7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Fistgrrl posted:

Someone posted this earlier, but it was a religious family: http://alyssalindley.tumblr.com/post/48368749553/ive-met-the-boston-bombers

quote:

During this facial session she started quoting a conspiracy theory, telling me that she thought 9-11 was purposefully created by the American government to make America hate Muslims. “It’s real,” she said, “My son knows all about it. You can read on the internet.”

If that's true, it sounds like the son's beliefs influenced those of the mother and that he perceived America as an enemy of Islam for quite a while.

STOP MAKING SENSE
Mar 31, 2003

This ain't no foolin' around.
This was probably covered, but those discussing the treatment this kid might get could be interested in the ravings of Senators Kelly Ayotte, Lindsey Graham, John McCain, and Rep. Peter King. They want him hauled to Guantanamo to be held as an enemy combatant.

He's a naturalized citizen on American soil and was taken alive. Why the hell would these assholes do this and wouldn't it be massively illegal?

And furthermore to the post above: Wouldn't the kind of treatment those senators propose reinforce the kind of paranoia his mother espouses? You know they're only wanting to do that to him because he's a muslim.

Not defending a killer, just feeling human sympathy for a 19 year old kid and also disgusted that a domestic terrorist who wasn't a certain religion wouldn't be debated as to his status.

STOP MAKING SENSE fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Apr 21, 2013

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Fistgrrl posted:

Their mechanic said they were always driving Mercedes and Porsches. Where did the money come from? The mom gave facials and their dad was an auto mechanic. I haven't heard any employers mentioned for the bombers.

Did he specify the age of the vehicles? Old luxury vehicles do not hold their value well. 1980s Mercs that still run and look nice can be had for $1500-$3000 without much effort.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

STOP MAKING SENSE posted:

This was probably covered, but those discussing the treatment this kid might get could be interested in the ravings of Senators Kelly Ayotte, Lindsey Graham, John McCain, and Rep. Peter King. They want him hauled to Guantanamo to be held as an enemy combatant.

He's a naturalized citizen on American soil and was taken alive. Why the hell would these assholes do this and wouldn't it be massively illegal?

It'd pretty much be violating the US Constitution, yeah.

I've already said this, but if he were a white redneck from Idaho, setting off bombs because he was angry at the government for taking away his "American freedoms", those Senators would not be making that proposal.

evanstheone
Jul 4, 2010
So were people in Boston actually forced to stay inside or was it just a strong suggestion?

Because my libertarian friend is throwing a fit on Facebook about how this is all a ruse to get people used to martial law.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Xandu posted:

Has anybody said what their uncle does for a living?

Pretty sure I heard Hannity call him a drunk, though strictly speaking that's not actually an occupation.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

I might be mis-remembering, but when this came up in respect of David Hicks I seem to recall that you needed to be acting for some kind of recognisable "enemy" (the Taliban, in the case of Hicks) in order to be classified as an enemy combatant - simply believing in the ideology of a given group wasn't enough. It didn't need to be a conventional military force (who are designated lawful enemy combatants), but it did need to have at least some loose kind of organisation whose instructions were being carried out and the US needed to be "engaged in conflict" with that entity.

I don't believe for a minute that the military justice system is the appropriate forum for this case to be tried, even if connections to terrorist groups or foreign governments can be established. An American citizen committed a crime against Americans on American soil. There's no need to invoke questionable legal statuses in order to assume jurisdiction over the suspect (which was the whole point of the US doing the "enemy combatant thing" in Afghanistan) - such jurisdiction already exists under US criminal law.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Apr 21, 2013

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_ztMtty9fY

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

Woah. Haven't seen that yet. I'm assuming this was from all the "your downlink is being broadcast on the internet" stuff we heard on the scanner?

e: nope, I am very wrong and stupid.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

And furthermore to the post above: Wouldn't the kind of treatment those senators propose reinforce the kind of paranoia his mother espouses? You know they're only wanting to do that to him because he's a muslim.

Not defending a killer, just feeling human sympathy for a 19 year old kid and also disgusted that a domestic terrorist who wasn't a certain religion wouldn't be debated as to his status.
These guys are going full-tilt mandrill and don't care about anything but ape law, primarily for the purposes of ginning up their base and making Obummer look bad. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a strategy meeting on the topic shortly after the bombing.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

sluggo is mad posted:

Woah. Haven't seen that yet. I'm assuming this was from all the "your downlink is being broadcast on the internet" stuff we heard on the scanner?

No, it was released by the police.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
So how many innocent people did the cops murder while looking for them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lOQrGSS0Bk

Yes I know that's TruthTube but it's just video from the local news coverage

DaisyDanger posted:

Did the younger brother really run over his brother with the car? I've heard it here but haven't really seen anything about that anywhere else and I didn't start listening to the scanner until like 2AM EST.

Edit: already answered. Thread still moving too fast!

Wildlife Analysis posted:

I never heard this in any of the police conferences.

UncleSmoothie posted:

Since goons have been wondering how much truth there is to the story that the kid ran over the older brother:

Watertown Police Chief's story, as told by the NYT's Lede blog: http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/20/updates-on-aftermath-of-boston-marathon-explosions-3/#watertown-police-chief

Shitshow posted:

According to police, yes. Supposedly he was trying to ram the police who were subduing his brother, they dived out of the way, and he ran over him.
Or did the police run him over and just tell everyone that?

http://audio.weei.com/a/73784687/linda-calls-in-to-describe-the-scene-on-dexter-st-in-watertown.htm

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

evanstheone posted:

So were people in Boston actually forced to stay inside or was it just a strong suggestion?

Because my libertarian friend is throwing a fit on Facebook about how this is all a ruse to get people used to martial law.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelter_in_place

That's what was in effect, maybe a little extreme for two people with makeshift bombs but it wasn't a police state lockdown, your friend is a loving idiot if it wasn't aready obvious from him being a libertarian.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Wow. I hadn't realised that they'd used a mechanical arm to tear apart the cover before lobbing the flashbangs. I guess it allowed them to keep people out of harm's way until after he was disoriented, lessening the possibility of officers needing to open fire on the suspect.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

evanstheone posted:

The latter - except for Watertown. It was different due to the police cordon and active search.

The general feeling in Boston is that people from elsewhere falling over themselves to decry the "horrible" lockdown need to shut up and get over their self-righteousness.

They're also making memes about it:

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

I'm fully against this treatment as well, but the government has already thrown away the constitution when it comes to rights and civil liberties where terrorism is concerned. The fact that there is an option to label him a combatant and forgo any protections given to him should be startling to the general public. There shouldn't be asterisks beside every constitutional right in case of terrorism, because the word and idea is subjective. They can still do warrant-less wiretaps and other things that directly contradict the constitution, and the general public seems to be all for it. To me (a Canadian), there doesn't seem to be any point of a constitution if you can just side step it when it is convenient. It saddens me to think that Canada will probably re-instate our version of the Patriot Act after these events, as it is being put to a vote tomorrow after being expired for 5 years.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Crackpipe posted:

The latter - except for Watertown. It was different due to the police cordon and active search.

The general feeling in Boston is that people from elsewhere falling over themselves to decry the "horrible" lockdown need to shut up and get over their self-righteousness.

While normally something like this would get me, they had someone on the loose that had access to explosives and an intent to cause massive damage in the population at large, not to mention a willingness to kill directly.

They had to do a lock down, for everyone's safety. This wasn't an ordinary criminal.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
Do we know yet what the name of the boat was? I'm hoping it was "White Cap."

STOP MAKING SENSE
Mar 31, 2003

Nessus posted:

These guys are going full-tilt mandrill and don't care about anything but ape law, primarily for the purposes of ginning up their base and making Obummer look bad. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a strategy meeting on the topic shortly after the bombing.

American citizen gets a fair trial THANKS OBAMA!

I pumped my fist when they caught him, I'll admit, and I was happy to see Boston so happy, because they deserve to be. But dammit, if that city and it's cops can be so goddamn awesome to weather the whole thing like CHAMPS and to keep trying to take them alive, can't our senators at least show half the class and let real justice take place instead of figuratively pounding their chests and chucking bleached femurs?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Cardboard Box A posted:

Uh, none.

e: regarding other posts -

I'm terrified of executive overreach and a frequent poster in the police brutality D&D threads. The BPD and everyone else was nothing short of amazing over the last few days. What they did was exactly correct and appropriate for the circumstances. In LA I would probably be dead.

Petey fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Apr 21, 2013

OH NO MY DICK
Feb 24, 2013

Forums Jesus

Cardboard Box A posted:

Zero. Are you seriously or ironically doing the "I'm just asking questions, man" routine?

STOP MAKING SENSE
Mar 31, 2003

DongsMcMurphy posted:

Zero. Are you seriously or ironically doing the "I'm just asking questions, man" routine?

Hopefully he's just trying to make a joke about how the LAPD would have done things.

Edit: Petey, you took the bird out of my mouth.

"Robot Yacht"
"Perimitah Runnah"
vvvvvvvvvvvvv

STOP MAKING SENSE fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Apr 21, 2013

Warrahooyaargh
Sep 15, 2007
Oh the mundanity

marmot25 posted:

"Nautical Bear"

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

I remember reading a neighbor saying that boat was the owner's pride and joy and was given tender loving care, and is now full of holes. Hope his insurance covers it.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Blazing Ownager posted:

While normally something like this would get me, they had someone on the loose that had access to explosives and an intent to cause massive damage in the population at large, not to mention a willingness to kill directly.

They had to do a lock down, for everyone's safety. This wasn't an ordinary criminal.

It didn't just keep people safe from the suspects - having people off the streets made potentially lethal errors on the part of law enforcement or the general public less likely too. Sometimes restricting people's freedom of movement temporarily makes it easier for emergency services to do their job without the general public getting in the way.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Apr 21, 2013

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

Fat Jesus posted:

I remember reading a neighbor saying that boat was the owner's pride and joy and was given tender loving care, and is now full of holes. Hope his insurance covers it.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/topstories/article/309844/483/America-wants-to-help-David-Henneberry-get-a-new-boat

Well, that's heartwarming.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Blazing Ownager posted:

Exactly.

People need to keep in mind, Boston is a a city that's used to staying inside on its own volition when the still-OK weather is going to turn unfathomably horrible at some point later in the day. People are used to making judgement calls about when it's worth calling it a day at 7 am. They're used to having no real choice but to stay inside for a day or two.

Telling them that there's a child killer on the loose who set off two bombs, murdered a cop, carjacked someone, launched a grenade and gun attack on the police - that's more than enough to get them to say "hell with this!", lock the door and watch TV.

I was getting messages when the lockdown was lifted before the pursuit was over. The sentiment was "HELL NO, STAYING INSIDE. THANKS ANYWAY!"

Caros
May 14, 2008

Fat Jesus posted:

I would kind of assume the city or state would cover it seeing as they did shoot it full of holes.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Or did the police run him over and just tell everyone that?

http://audio.weei.com/a/73784687/linda-calls-in-to-describe-the-scene-on-dexter-st-in-watertown.htm

If you listen to the scanner segment where this happens, they say something about a stolen state police SUV.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Google Butt posted:

If you listen to the scanner segment where this happens, they say something about a stolen state police SUV.

Which, I believe, was totally wrong.

WaPo did report today that they had *two* cars in Watertown, but the same article is riddled with other holes, so who knows.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Cardboard Box A posted:

That was a guy who was out on the street who they strip-searched and let go when it was clear he was not, in fact, the mad bomber or the mad bomber's brother. He was uninjured.

So the count remains zero. The board is mine, Trebek!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Police all over the US are understandably sensitive about suspicious packages right now. It's on the ground so I guess you need a turtle shell or the cape to open it?

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Crackpipe posted:

They're also making memes about it:

Alternatively, "They're confiscating your milk folks! Obama....2nd ammendment....FEMA death camps....dghgfjggf...."

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

BobTheJanitor posted:

We haven't tortured people (or we've gotten a lot better at hiding it) since Bush left office.

Haha, really? Are you serious?

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/12/01/1166253/-The-Torture-Techniques-Used-on-Bradley-Manning

JibbaJabbaJimmy
May 21, 2001
Whatever happened to the guy that was forced to strip and was then arrested? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9D8mz83ht8

Sorry if this was answered earlier in the thread.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

JibbaJabbaJimmy posted:

Whatever happened to the guy that was forced to strip and was then arrested? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9D8mz83ht8

Sorry if this was answered earlier in the thread.
I think he was free to go. He may have opted to remain in police custody for his own safety since the media, you know, just put his face and body on TV as a bombing suspect.

no.op
Oct 27, 2007

marmot25 posted:

Watertown police Chief Edward Deveau said yesterday that the name of the boat was the Slipaway II.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/2013/04/20/fbi-was-warned-years-ago-alleged-bomber-radical-shift/mprN4HgqqUcYoxlgrWPcOP/story-2.html

Ialdabaoth
Nov 3, 2006

East side, west side,
All around the block,
The Bootlegger's
rushin' bizness
At all hours
of the clock.

Petey posted:

I'm terrified of executive overreach and a frequent poster in the police brutality D&D threads. The BPD and everyone else was nothing short of amazing over the last few days. What they did was exactly correct and appropriate for the circumstances. In LA I would probably be dead.

The New Normal exactly correct and appropriate for the circumstances

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Considering the use of rifles + explosives by the two brothers I would want that loving thing by my side if i was up against the suspects as well.

• Locked thread