Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

No matter which stats you pick, Avatar is probably going to be excellent at everything except Resistance (which nobody is very good at). Speed is the most useful stat in the game, however, as it has implications for both offense and defense with both physical and magical weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Theswarms posted:

So my copy of this just arrived and I was wondering about the stat choices for my avatar - are any choices going to screw me over? Should I just decide whether I'm going physical or magical with him and pick strength magic power? This seems like a really important choice and the game basically tells you nothing.

It is an important choice that will have a significant effect on your avatar's stats, but on lower difficulties every Asset/Flaw combination is viable (although some are definitely harder than others to use effectively). And yeah, the game doesn't really give you enough information at the start to make an informed decision: each Asset and Flaw also affects stats other than the one you pick.

For assets, Speed is a good pick no matter how you want to end up building your avatar, and Defence isn't bad either: either one will make it significantly easier to keep your Avatar alive early on. Magic is a fine choice of asset if you want to make your Avatar into a mage. On the other hand, if you want a hard physical hitter, there's nothing wrong with picking Strength as your asset either.

As far as flaws go, Luck is the safest choice if you want to keep your options open: it's not a very important stat, although picking it will also mean minor penalties to both Strength and Magic. You can also pick Strength as a flaw if you don't mind making your Avatar a pure mage (not a bad choice), or Magic as a flaw if you don't mind making a pure physical Avatar (although you get plenty of pure physical characters early on, and taking Magic as a flaw also hurts your Speed a little).

Other asset and flaw options also have their advantages, but are best saved for future playthroughs when you know what you're doing.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
Thanks for the help guys. I went with +speed -luck. Gotta go fast!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
So today is Lucina's birthday, and her mom leaves her a...Superior Axe in the barracks.

My Avatar may have given her overkill speed and the option to wear a flashy Grandmaster outfit, but she can't be assed to give her daughter a half-decent birthday present :sigh:

usedpizza
Jan 1, 2009

Give it up for the champ
So just how critical is it that I get galeforce freaking everywhere on my ultimate murderteam or w/e and what kids are better off without it (if any)

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

usedpizza posted:

So just how critical is it that I get galeforce freaking everywhere on my ultimate murderteam or w/e and what kids are better off without it (if any)
Not that critical if you're just playing through, fairly important otherwise.

CAN AND SHOULD DEFINITELY GET IT
Morgan-M
Inigo
Brady
Owain

CAN GET IT THEMSELVES BUT COULD STAND TO INHERIT IT TOO
Morgan-F
Cynthia
Severa

CAN GET IT WITH THE RIGHT DAD & DEFINITELY WANTS IT
Kjelle
Lucina

CAN GET IT WITH THE RIGHT DAD BUT LOSES OTHER poo poo SO MIGHT NOT WANT IT DEPENDING
Noire

LIKES IT, BUT COULD GET BY ENTIRELY FINE WITHOUT IT
Nah

CAN'T GET IT, DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT
Gerome
Yarne
Laurent

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010
You can still have a good murderteam without sticking galeforce on everyone. It depends on what you want to do with a unit. Tanks generally don't need galeforce because they do most of their work on the enemy phase. So characters like Kellam!Nah or a sorcerer Noire with Nosferatu can do just fine without galeforce. It's the same thing if you're setting someone up to give good pair up bonuses with skills like dual guard +. All you need to do is ask yourself if a particular unit can accomplish what you want it to without getting an extra player phase.

An example of a unit that really wants galeforce would be anyone using aggressor, the dread fighter skill that gives +10 attack on the player phase only. Galeforce lets you get a lot more out of that skill.

Still, you should probably pass on galeforce to any male child that you can. The other female-only skills don't really compare.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

JTDistortion posted:

Still, you should probably pass on galeforce to any male child that you can. The other female-only skills don't really compare.
The worst part of female-only skills is that the two best ones (Galeforce and Lancefaire) come from the same tree, so anybody who has a mom with Pegasus Knight is going to want Galeforce and everybody who would take second best instead doesn't have a chance to get it. The third-best skill is probably Dual Support+, but it's a pretty distant third (distant enough that Laurent might even want to take Renewal instead if his father doesn't give him War Monk).

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Nakar posted:

Not that critical if you're just playing through, fairly important otherwise.

CAN AND SHOULD DEFINITELY GET IT
Morgan-M
Inigo
Brady
Owain

CAN GET IT THEMSELVES BUT COULD STAND TO INHERIT IT TOO
Morgan-F
Cynthia
Severa

CAN GET IT WITH THE RIGHT DAD & DEFINITELY WANTS IT
Kjelle
Lucina

CAN GET IT WITH THE RIGHT DAD BUT LOSES OTHER poo poo SO MIGHT NOT WANT IT DEPENDING
Noire

LIKES IT, BUT COULD GET BY ENTIRELY FINE WITHOUT IT
Nah

CAN'T GET IT, DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT
Gerome
Yarne
Laurent

I'd really like to see more posts like this get added to the OP for advanced team building information.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I'd really like to see more posts like this get added to the OP for advanced team building information.
Well I say that, and then decide not to give Kjelle Galeforce after all. :v:

Basically my current analysis is that one of Vaike/Donnel/Gaius goes to Tharja/Sully/Nowi, and it's a pretty reasonable conclusion:
  • Two of the fathers pass Armsthrift (Vaike, Donnel). Two pass Galeforce (Gaius, Donnel). All pass Sol, but Gaius must pass Sol; Donnel and Vaike can pass Counter or Rally Strength, Vaike can pass Wrath and Axefaire, and the child can still go Hero for Sol.
  • Two fathers pass Thief (Vaike, Gaius). Thief isn't that useful but Locktouch, Movement+1, Lucky Seven, and Acrobat are all decent. Acrobat is actually good for a General, which Kjelle and/or Vaike's daughter can do.
  • All three girls presumably want Galeforce, but only two will get it because Vaike doesn't pass Pegasus Knight.
  • Two of the three girls desire Armsthrift (Kjelle, Noire). Nah can roll as a Manakete with Dragonstone+ which is infinitely purchaseable, quite strong, and doesn't need to be forged (nor can it be).
  • Other skills: Vaike passes Luna and Pavise, which Kjelle already has. Gaius passes Astra and Vantage, which Kjelle already has.
  • Nah has the worst SPD modifier. Gaius passes the best SPD modifier.
  • Kjelle is faster and has better SKL as a Hero than Nah, and is more likely to want and need Axefaire/Armsthrift/Helswath than Nah, who has Manakete. As a Hero Kjelle also has no weaknesses; Nah always has a Dragon weakness.
  • Noire has the best MAG modifier and will probably be a Dark Flier support unit since she lacks Aggressor or Tomefaire. Therefore, she benefits most from the Troubador tree, and is hurt the least by Donnel's middling SPD (Vaike and Gaius both pass excellent SPD modifiers) since SPD does not matter in Pair Up.
  • Noire is the only one of the three who can be a Sorcerer, and thus benefits the most from Armsthrift because Aversa's Night basically requires Armsthrift. It would also mitigate Tomefaire's loss (because Tomefaire would often get bumped for Armsthrift/Limit Breaker anyway). Kjelle benefits second-most due to Helswath/Brave Axe, but both of those are easily bought or farmed.
  • Noire is either blonde or a ginger with Vaike or Gaius as a father; Donnel gives her blackish-purple hair. Obviously this makes much more sense!
Kind of a tough call, but my thought now is Sully x Vaike, Nowi x Gaius, and Tharja x Donnel.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
So, Heroes of Yore 1: Ike, as an ally, decided to run circles around Micaiah, dodging a 83% hit and savaging her in return. :fuckoff: Then Lyn went and murdered my Avatar by 1% crit.

All is right in the world :allears:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Nakar posted:

Well I say that, and then decide not to give Kjelle Galeforce after all. :v:

Basically my current analysis is that one of Vaike/Donnel/Gaius goes to Tharja/Sully/Nowi, and it's a pretty reasonable conclusion:
  • Two of the fathers pass Armsthrift (Vaike, Donnel). Two pass Galeforce (Gaius, Donnel). All pass Sol, but Gaius must pass Sol; Donnel and Vaike can pass Counter or Rally Strength, Vaike can pass Wrath and Axefaire, and the child can still go Hero for Sol.
  • Two fathers pass Thief (Vaike, Gaius). Thief isn't that useful but Locktouch, Movement+1, Lucky Seven, and Acrobat are all decent. Acrobat is actually good for a General, which Kjelle and/or Vaike's daughter can do.
  • All three girls presumably want Galeforce, but only two will get it because Vaike doesn't pass Pegasus Knight.
  • Two of the three girls desire Armsthrift (Kjelle, Noire). Nah can roll as a Manakete with Dragonstone+ which is infinitely purchaseable, quite strong, and doesn't need to be forged (nor can it be).
  • Other skills: Vaike passes Luna and Pavise, which Kjelle already has. Gaius passes Astra and Vantage, which Kjelle already has.
  • Nah has the worst SPD modifier. Gaius passes the best SPD modifier.
  • Kjelle is faster and has better SKL as a Hero than Nah, and is more likely to want and need Axefaire/Armsthrift/Helswath than Nah, who has Manakete. As a Hero Kjelle also has no weaknesses; Nah always has a Dragon weakness.
  • Noire has the best MAG modifier and will probably be a Dark Flier support unit since she lacks Aggressor or Tomefaire. Therefore, she benefits most from the Troubador tree, and is hurt the least by Donnel's middling SPD (Vaike and Gaius both pass excellent SPD modifiers) since SPD does not matter in Pair Up.
  • Noire is the only one of the three who can be a Sorcerer, and thus benefits the most from Armsthrift because Aversa's Night basically requires Armsthrift. It would also mitigate Tomefaire's loss (because Tomefaire would often get bumped for Armsthrift/Limit Breaker anyway). Kjelle benefits second-most due to Helswath/Brave Axe, but both of those are easily bought or farmed.
  • Noire is either blonde or a ginger with Vaike or Gaius as a father; Donnel gives her blackish-purple hair. Obviously this makes much more sense!
Kind of a tough call, but my thought now is Sully x Vaike, Nowi x Gaius, and Tharja x Donnel.

Were you the one doing your MU with Nah? I'm too lazy to go back and check.

You make a lot of good points, I also like putting Donnel with Tharja if I'm not giving her MaMU despite a lot of other people saying it's a bad setup for her. It gives Noire everything she wants except Vantage, and while that's kind of a big hit to her viability as a sorc she ends up having a lot of other options when you already have access to 3 or 4 solid sorcerers in MU, Morgan, Laurent, and possibly Brady.

I still think giving Nah a +speed dad just for that sake is a waste. She can already double nearly anything in the game even with a -speed father, yet still can't get to the point of doubling Anna without barracks buffs even if you have Gaius. He gives her a lot of other useful things, though, that Donnel wouldn't, so he's still solid.

Vaike!Kjelle just seems odd to me, though. She benefits a lot more from Galeforce than Nah does, and that ends up beating out a lot of other considerations.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

The Shortest Path posted:

Vaike!Kjelle just seems odd to me, though. She benefits a lot more from Galeforce than Nah does, and that ends up beating out a lot of other considerations.
She has much, much better stats than Donnel!Kjelle. That Kjelle obviously gets Galeforce, but the question is more who benefits most overall since everyone can't have everything (without a Male Avatar involved, at least).

The alternative mix would be the more "standard" Gaius!Noire, Donnel!Kjelle, and Vaike!Nah. Now I do love me some Vaike!Nah but I'm not wholly sold on the benefits of Armsthrift going to her.

And I couldn't very well do Vaike!Noire... or wait... well I guess I actually could. +4 STR, +2 MAG, +1 SKL, +3 SPD, +2 DEF, inherits Counter/Axefaire/Wrath, access to Hero and General as well as Vengeance. Better tank than Kjelle (positive DEF mod, same RES mod). She'd basically be an awful lot like Severa (minus Galeforce), except unlike Severa her constant Vengeance activations would be hilarious. Or a relatively competent Dark Knight.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Generally speaking, is Pass worth using?

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
It might be on a thief or something, but in general it's very situational. Not worth it over a combat skill in most cases. Uh, you could troll people with it in a Streetpass battle.

TheWorstAtWords
May 27, 2012

Minus Green posted:

Pass is situationally useful but never really required (except on maybe Infinite Regalia).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Minus Green posted:

Generally no if your team is mostly made up of Galeforcers but it's useful for say a Kellam!Nah when there's little else she can use in her skill pool.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It'd probably be nice on a streetpass team to pester healers.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well then, I now have Nah and Nowi with everything capped, with Limitbreak. Just added Limitbreak to Tiki. Now, how many entrances are there to the castle in R+R 3?

Edit: and now Tiki has capped everything too. Manaketes rule.

McDragon fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 21, 2013

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

can you hear the sleepless lullaby?
For someone new to the FE series, where can we get a primer on the stats, skills, eugenics, getting items, etc? The OP doesn't address those and it seems like most of the posts with guides here assume you are already familiar with most of the game mechanics. The wikia for FE is not exclusive to Awakening so I end up more confused than before as well.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

revenance posted:

For someone new to the FE series, where can we get a primer on the stats, skills, eugenics, getting items, etc? The OP doesn't address those and it seems like most of the posts with guides here assume you are already familiar with most of the game mechanics. The wikia for FE is not exclusive to Awakening so I end up more confused than before as well.

Here,

http://serenesforest.net/fe13/

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

revenance posted:

The most convenient reference is Serenes Forest, which is sorted by game and has tables and endless tables of numbers about each one.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

:haw: Oh Lissa, you're as cute as a dead puppy, nya ha!
:blush: Oh Henry, stop teasing me.

This is the best game ever.

Hallowed
May 28, 2007

It's a pipe bomb!
Got this yesterday.

Hard Classic mode.

Its been a while since Sacred Stones and I'm getting my rear end handed to me :(

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Hallowed posted:

Got this yesterday.

Hard Classic mode.

Its been a while since Sacred Stones and I'm getting my rear end handed to me :(

The difficulty curve in every FE game is reversed: The first chapters are the hardest, while endgame is ridiculously easy.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
I picked up Awakening on Thursday and so far I've been loving it. I keep hearing about how reclassing is really important to get skills and how it's important to pair certain characters together. This is the first Fire Emblem game I've played so I want to know if I should actually take the time to look up who should reclass to what and when or who should pair with who.

I'm not terribly far in the game yet (I think I'm about to start chapter 7) but if this stuff is important I figure I'd rather find out earlier than later :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Slur posted:

The difficulty curve in every FE game is reversed: The first chapters are the hardest, while endgame is ridiculously easy.
FE4 and 5.

Also, Can't Ride A Bus, do whatever you want on the first runthrough. It's only important to min/max like that for super-hard DLC that isn't even out yet.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

I picked up Awakening on Thursday and so far I've been loving it. I keep hearing about how reclassing is really important to get skills and how it's important to pair certain characters together. This is the first Fire Emblem game I've played so I want to know if I should actually take the time to look up who should reclass to what and when or who should pair with who.

I'm not terribly far in the game yet (I think I'm about to start chapter 7) but if this stuff is important I figure I'd rather find out earlier than later :v:

None of that is really important for your first playthrough. Character optimisation is only necessary for postgame DLC, most of which isn't even available in English yet. You'll do just fine in the main game just by picking a squad you like and promoting them at level 20 into one of their normal promotion options.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

Thuryl posted:

None of that is really important for your first playthrough. Character optimisation is only necessary for postgame DLC, most of which isn't even available in English yet. You'll do just fine in the main game just by picking a squad you like and promoting them at level 20 into one of their normal promotion options.

Okay, thanks. How about the DLC (and spotpass) stuff? Is that worth it for the first playthrough?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Endorph posted:

FE4 and 5.

Also, Can't Ride A Bus, do whatever you want on the first runthrough. It's only important to min/max like that for super-hard DLC that isn't even out yet.

FE5 was hard throughout, and FE4 quite easy all the way, though.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
FE5 is most certainly harder earlier than later, just like most of the game. There's a few aggravating parts but they're a lot less hard than they seem. Really once you can slap a Master Seal on Asvel you're good to go, it's just getting out of Manster that's really hard.

FE4 is the only one that arguably gets harder as it goes. And then only sort of.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Iceclaw posted:

FE5 was hard throughout, and FE4 quite easy all the way, though.
Iunno, I feel like the difficulty in FE5 ramped up as the game went on. Granted it was pretty sporadic and there were some weirdly difficult moments but the later chapters were noticeably harder than most of the earlier ones.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
I've always thought FE4's hardest chapter was Chapter 2, followed by Chapter 3. Generation two has exactly one hard moment in it, Ishtor and even he's trivialized with Shanan, if you set up your pairings well. I'd say the difficulty curve is pretty backwards/front-loaded, but it's a lot flatter over all.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
So the DLC maps should come out about once a week, right? And I wanna say the Spotpass cameos daily?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

So the DLC maps should come out about once a week, right? And I wanna say the Spotpass cameos daily?

Are you europeon? Spotpass team members appear once a day or if you wait a week, all the members of that team appear the same time as a new map.

Spotpass map appear every two weeks.

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

Okay, thanks. How about the DLC (and spotpass) stuff? Is that worth it for the first playthrough?

None of the DLC is required, most of it is for post-game stuff and/or "cheating" for 2nd+ playthrough to heavily reduce grinding time.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Tae posted:

None of the DLC is required, most of it is for post-game stuff and/or "cheating" for 2nd+ playthrough to heavily reduce grinding time.

I'm going to add that both Golden Gaffe and Lost Bloodlines are incredibly helpful to have, though.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
I really wish there were some sort of chart or something to make planning out bloodlines easier.

Is Robin (m) x Tharja suboptimal? It seems like it'd make a really great caster Morgan and make Noire useful. What about Chrom x Sumia, for a good Cynthia and Lucina?

Man, I'm not sure about any of these things.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

The Mattybee posted:

I really wish there were some sort of chart or something to make planning out bloodlines easier.

Is Robin (m) x Tharja suboptimal? It seems like it'd make a really great caster Morgan and make Noire useful. What about Chrom x Sumia, for a good Cynthia and Lucina?

Robin/Tharja is really good actually, and he's probably the best Galeforce dad for Noire.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The Mattybee posted:

http://serenesforest.net/fe13/children.html

Here's a chart telling you what each kid will inherit per parent pairing along with stat caps.

Tharja/Robin is considered the best solution if you want a nuclear Galeforce Noire (Because Gaius/Donny doesn't give Tomefaire access).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
Does any of the kid stuff matter that much if I'm gonna end up playing on Lunatic? The OP says kids pretty much won't be usable at first.

I'm trying to plan for a second run of the game on Lunatic Classic :gonk:

• Locked thread