Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Golli posted:

You can't really "forget" where you are, you just learn to try not to think about it explicitly. There are too many reminders - reprocessed air, no sunlight, up and down angles.

So if somebody rips a heinous fart, do you end up smelling it for days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Gay but Spooky posted:

Is anyone gay on the sub? Is it ok to be gay on a submarine? What are the gay friendly areas on a sub?

The short answer is "it depends, it depends, it depends"

Keep in mind I've been out of the Navy for six years. My boat didn't have anyone officially out that I knew of (this was during DADT, after all) but there were many guys that were only barely secret about it (one guy in my division was known as "The Riddler" because he was 'so questionable'.) No one really gave two shits about it one way or other. To my knowledge there was no genuine gay romance underway (being underway is considerably less sexy than you'd imagine) nor were there any genuine gay unwanted approaches.

That was my boat, other boats differed. There were always stories from other boats about unwanted homosexual activity, usually tied to abuse of rank (i.e. "I woke up in my rack and the nav was blowing me!") I'm sure there were boats that were more hostile.

Even with DADT in the sub (and especially nuclear) navy it would have been absurd to boot people simply for being gay, because you needed to fill the billet; I had a guy practically go Corporal Klinger queen to try to get out of nuke school and his chief refused to process him.

Now we did have what is euphemistically called "a lot of fruity poo poo" from otherwise hetero dudes (think friendly locker room antics) but that's all over the military. We had at least one larger fellow who liked to paw at the smaller and prettier boys in an often unwelcome manner, but that was likely less to do with sexual preference and more to do with the guy being a creepo. Sexual frustration also leads to some really odd behavior after a while (I've mentioned before that we had one guy that raped all the vacuum cleaners.)

I'm not sure what you mean by "gay friendly areas." There is zero privacy on a sub so there's little reason to go somewhere to do something you wouldn't do on crew's mess. I'm pretty sure I saw other dudes ejaculate many times but they did have the decency to do it under a sheet and only once can I recall the guy making eye contact.

How this all differs from today's theoretically gay-friendlier Navy, I dunno.

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

So if somebody rips a heinous fart, do you end up smelling it for days?

No, because the boat smells constantly of farts, balls and rear end sweat (and nasty chemicals) the moment you shut the hatch.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

And the smells stay with you and on you. Forever.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
The smell of Amine made me throw all of my uniforms away once I got out. I couldn't even keep my seabag that thing stank too.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

ded posted:

The smell of Amine made me throw all of my uniforms away once I got out. I couldn't even keep my seabag that thing stank too.

My wife hated it for the longest time. She still hates the smell of Amine, but if you ask her what the smell of Amine means...

"That smell reminds me my husband is home. It's a good smell."

movax
Aug 30, 2008

What's the smell actually of? (assuming it isn't an ultra-classified noise-remover in an aerosol can :tinfoil:) I only ask because amines are a class of compounds, and not a single element, but it's been ages since I took Orgo/Biochem.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Monoethylamine is used in the CO2 scrubbers, so whatever that smells like (ammonia, according to wikipedia)

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
It makes more sense if you're skimming quickly and read it as smelling like "anime."

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Anime reminds me my husband is home.

Beria
Nov 13, 2011

Third World Reggin posted:

Anime reminds me my husband is home.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Yeah, what's worse, the smell of amine, or the smell of anime? That was how I first read it too, and it immediately produces some really unpleasant implications.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Amine makes everything smell pretty bad, but "boat smell" was 100x worse before the smoking ban.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The smell of anime is best described as "shameful".

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Do british subs have booze available?

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Cerekk posted:

Amine makes everything smell pretty bad, but "boat smell" was 100x worse before the smoking ban.

Not to mention that trying to quit smoking was a epic battle of willpower that I lost 3 times before the ban went into effect and I was able to finally kick it.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.
113th Birthday Video

If you can ignore the crappy Euro-trance music and heinously awkward submariners saying hello, it's a good video.

Happy birthday gents.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Sacrilage posted:

113th Birthday Video

If you can ignore the crappy Euro-trance music and heinously awkward submariners saying hello, it's a good video.

Happy birthday gents.

I know 5 of the people in that video, I think I've been in too long.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Is there a ocean equivalent of turbulence?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

EvilElmo posted:

Chop. Submarines don't roll well with waves to begin with, you get stormy weather and wind going and it can be a rough ride. The deeper you go the less of an issue it is.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

EvilElmo posted:

Only around 100 feet or higher. It depends on seastate but as already said it is mostly a near surface effect.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Periscope depth on the outskirts of a tropical storm. It's like being rocked the sleep in your crib/rack.

Although being woken up by sounds of half the ship emptying their stomachs all over the place was unpleasant, but that was some of the best sleep of my life.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

More like waking up to the sound of the fairwater planes slapping the surface. I'm surprised the drat things didn't break off.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
It was ok to sleep to. It sucked sometimes being up in the bridge (surfaced, not PD, obv.) On watch it could be awful. My first maneuvering watchstation was shaft alley phone talker and I'd get really nauseous, lie down under the shaft and often fall asleep, got kicked awake by the EWS once. Standing watch you could watch some of the levels rock back and forth with the boat. We did a surface dropoff for some idiot to get off the boat in the middle of a tropical storm, ended up having to touch the pier for it, I ended up throwing up at the RPCP, RT brought me in a trash bag, I blew my business (undigested spaghetti noodles, I wasn't eating anything more complicated in that scenario) and then went back to taking logs.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Chop. Submarines don't roll well with waves to begin with, you get stormy weather and wind going and it can be a rough ride. The deeper you go the less of an issue it is.

^^ spot on. I don't think I've felt chop below ~200', but you can definitely tell it's going to be a bad day if the boat is rocking at 150'

Surface ships take the swells a lot easier since they have the "V" shaped keel; as they tilt to one side, they displace more water on one side versus the other, and correct themselves quickly as a result. With the submarine being a circle, no such luck. It's all just based on ballast and gravity on a submarine, which makes for some super awesome rolls.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Can submarines capsize?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Sacrilage posted:

^^ spot on. I don't think I've felt chop below ~200', but you can definitely tell it's going to be a bad day if the boat is rocking at 150'

Surface ships take the swells a lot easier since they have the "V" shaped keel; as they tilt to one side, they displace more water on one side versus the other, and correct themselves quickly as a result. With the submarine being a circle, no such luck. It's all just based on ballast and gravity on a submarine, which makes for some super awesome rolls.

Carriers + Oregon Coast = gently caress y'all I'm gonna get some time in on my hammock.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Mortabis posted:

Can submarines capsize?

If they gently caress up they can flip totally over. We did some high speed maneuvers during sea trials out of drydock that had me standing on the bulkheads. We did like 45 degree port & stbd rolls. Those were very hard on stowed gear. poo poo flew everywhere.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
If it flips over, how do you correct it? I assume it doesn't result in the boat sinking. That is, sinking permanently.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Hauldren Collider posted:

If it flips over, how do you correct it? I assume it doesn't result in the boat sinking. That is, sinking permanently.

If a modern nuke sub flips over it is pretty much loving dead.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Hauldren Collider posted:

Your assumption is wrong. Zero-speed depth control is purely a ballast issue but in motion (particularly at higher speeds) it is a function of the control surfaces, sort of like a plane. If a sub rolls beyond a certain angle as part of maneuvering, it's like rolling a big jet; it will dive uncontrollably and almost assuredly be destroyed.

When my boat got a new rudder, it was different from the old one in certain ways, making us unique in the fleet and outside design parameters. So we did certain tests to check the performance that involved disabling certain interlocks and violating normal limits. Several tests had failure conditions involving corkscrewing to certain death.

There are also a lot of bilges and tanks vented to the people space that are going to barf all over you if you bank too hard, so you want to avoid doing that.

If a boat rolls hard because it hit something (been there, done that, needed a new rudder from it) it's quite bad, but if the ship's not completely hosed up, it will right itself. Take a look at the Hartford pics where she hit another ship hard enough to nearly take the sail off as an example.

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 25, 2013

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

ded posted:

Why?

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

ded posted:

Why?

I mean, wouldn't an emergency blow send the now buoyant submarine back to the surface if flipping caused them to sink? Even if it were upside down, I mean, it'd eventually right itself, or at least I assume it would.

This is just naive non navy guy asking.. Then again I'm probably mistakenly applying some form of flying physics to submarine physics.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

Why?

I mean, wouldn't an emergency blow send the now buoyant submarine back to the surface if flipping caused them to sink? Even if it were upside down, I mean, it'd eventually right itself, or at least I assume it would.

This is just naive non navy guy asking.. Then again I'm probably mistakenly applying some form of flying physics to submarine physics.

Ballast tanks are open on the bottom. When you normally blow ballast, the water is pushed out the bottom, lighter air stays in the tanks and you rise. If you are inverted or beyond a certain roll angle, the air just squirts out and you die. Think of it like holding a bucket of air underwater and then tipping it over.

SentSix
Jul 19, 2001

Snowdens Secret posted:

When my boat got a new rudder, it was different from the old one in certain ways, making us unique in the fleet and outside design parameters. So we did certain tests to check the performance that involved disabling certain interlocks and violating normal limits. Several tests had failure conditions involving corkscrewing to certain death.

Mother.
gently caress.
This.

How in the hell is something like this allowed, even with an all volunteer crew?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

Why?

Snowdens Secret posted:

Ballast tanks are open on the bottom. When you normally blow ballast, the water is pushed out the bottom, lighter air stays in the tanks and you rise. If you are inverted or beyond a certain roll angle, the air just squirts out and you die. Think of it like holding a bucket of air underwater and then tipping it over.

In addition to the ballast tank issue many other things would get hosed up. Some of which I do not think are things that should be said here. One other thing would also be if the planesmen were not strapped in they would find it very difficult to operate the controls from... the deck (floor) which is now the overhead (ceiling).

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Wait.. so ballast tanks are open at the bottom?

Why the gently caress is ballast not controlled by some kind of closed system? There is some kind of concept here I'm missing.

also my intuition tells me that the reactor/powerplant probably wouldn't appreciate operating inverted-- and now that I think about it a little more, I'm guessing that the geometry on that reactor is rather different than normal PWR's --

not a whole lot of conventional engineering solutions make sense underwater in a moving nuclear reactor powered vehicle do they?

Also holy gently caress I just kinda thought about it.. How loving cramped is the world back in reactor land? Is utterly retarded cramped?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

Also holy gently caress I just kinda thought about it.. How loving cramped is the world back in reactor land? Is utterly retarded cramped?

Subs are loving retarded cramped in general. The plant even moreso.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

Wait.. so ballast tanks are open at the bottom?

Why the gently caress is ballast not controlled by some kind of closed system? There is some kind of concept here I'm missing.

also my intuition tells me that the reactor/powerplant probably wouldn't appreciate operating inverted-- and now that I think about it a little more, I'm guessing that the geometry on that reactor is rather different than normal PWR's --

not a whole lot of conventional engineering solutions make sense underwater in a moving nuclear reactor powered vehicle do they?

The smaller the tank/sea interface, the longer it takes for air to push the water out. There is a closed ballast system for normal ballast and trim, but main ballast is what's used for surfacing.

A submarine going inverted in and of itself wouldn't sink the ship. It'd gently caress a lot of other stuff up, but the ship would right itself simply due to center of gravity/center of buoyancy positioning. The issue is that the only remotely plausible scenarios in which a ship could invert itself also involve speeds/angles that would result in an unrecoverable dive in addition to the inversion.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Thanks Cerek.

So how long do you have between going too fast and maneuvering too sharp and then loving up and going too far to recover from the dive? Is this like a split second thing that the control deck people are preventing at any given second, or would it be something that plays out slowly and requires waaaaaaay to much lunacy+idiocy to be allowed to actually happen?

The idea of a couple hundred men living inside of a tube that's needing precision movement controls like a fighter plane sounds.... scary as gently caress. Like, seriously scary as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

Thanks Cerek.

So how long do you have between going too fast and maneuvering too sharp and then loving up and going too far to recover from the dive? Is this like a split second thing that the control deck people are preventing at any given second, or would it be something that plays out slowly and requires waaaaaaay to much lunacy+idiocy to be allowed to actually happen?

The idea of a couple hundred men living inside of a tube that's needing precision movement controls like a fighter plane sounds.... scary as gently caress. Like, seriously scary as gently caress.

You have more than 1 second, but less than the time it takes to realize you don't know what the gently caress to do and need help, so everyone better know their actions and execute promptly. For obvious reasons, anything that requires immediate split-second reflexes to save the ship have been extensively automated, computerized, and interlocked to add as much safety margin as possible. There ARE things that have an unpleasantly small amount "oh poo poo" time, but that's the exception.

• Locked thread