Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

swatjr posted:

I have a grendal perm that I'd like to trade for a perm har. I'll even throw in a camo for him.
Deal, assuming it's the US server. I'll throw in something else too, if I have anything you don't. Mail 'Kelmomas' in-game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merica
Jan 28, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

Deal, assuming it's the US server. I'll throw in something else too, if I have anything you don't. Mail 'Kelmomas' in-game.

EDIT: Sent

Merica fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 21, 2013

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

I'm looking for a blue hardsuit camo. I have a spare tactical SMG and a burstfire SMG.

Geekslinger fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 21, 2013

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Man, I'm really liking this double GP weekend, I've gotten like 12000GP and that's not even from playing very long.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I really love siege but man does it need more than 1 map.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mauser posted:

Hey, can someone explain siege mode to me? I'm pretty sure the immediate game ending notice of, "YOU LOST SCRUB" is bugged in one way or another. On defense a team mate and I had the tank perma-blown-up and then we lost that round apparently?

This is just a total shot in the dark from a SCRUB but maybe their tank got farther than your tank?

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Jack B Nimble posted:

This is just a total shot in the dark from a SCRUB but maybe their tank got farther than your tank?

The scoring is a thing of wizardry. It is beyond the understanding of morals.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
It seems to work similar to TF2's payload stopwatch format. I try to avoid Seige though since it's kinda weird in general with how it plays. I like my TDM.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

The only fun part of siege is opening the gates since you're hectically trying to finish hacking while chaos is all around you.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

If neither team gets the tank to the finish line (or if both teams do) the team with the highest total score wins.

Since every gate gives, IIRC, +500 points to each player in the attacking team, this usually means the team who passed the most gates wins, as one would expect. However, if a team gets beaten on gates they might still grab a win by gaining a huge score advantage through kills etc. This is pretty rare though because if your average player is ~5 kills ahead of the average opponent, you're almost certainly doing better with the tank as well.

IMO, TF2's system where you just have to beat the previous team's distance (i.e. get 1 gate farther) would probably be better. The current system just means that a stomp match gets dragged on unnecessarily.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.
Huh, never heard of this game. Great writeup, I think I'll give it a try, thanks.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

Mauser posted:

Hey, can someone explain siege mode to me? I'm pretty sure the immediate game ending notice of, "YOU LOST SCRUB" is bugged in one way or another.
Yeah, don't worry what that says. It's only the score at the end that matters.

NihilCredo posted:

f a team gets beaten on gates they [i]might still grab a win by gaining a huge score advantage through kills etc. This is pretty rare though because if your average player is ~5 kills ahead of the average opponent, you're almost certainly doing better with the tank as well.
I've actually seen this happen with sufficiently-bad teams. Sometimes getting the tank past the first gate just puts in in a better position to be stunlocked by the defenders. (for example, they turn the tank's weakpoint towards the ramp spawn and someone just sits there with a hardsuit.)

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Sacrilage posted:

Huh, never heard of this game. Great writeup, I think I'll give it a try, thanks.

It got some fanfair when it released on steam but since then very little advertising. It's a shame because it's excellent. Maybe the upcoming PS4 launch will help things.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

It got some fanfair when it released on steam but since then very little advertising. It's a shame because it's excellent. Maybe the upcoming PS4 launch will help things.

It got a lot of advertising when they launched the two big content updates, it was front page on steam for like a month both times. They could do real advertising though, the ps4 version should help a bunch too.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I never saw those. One thing I'd really like to see is a cleaning up of the interface. It looks cool but it isn't intuitive to use at all and I know it certainly put me off when I first started playing.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

I never saw those. One thing I'd really like to see is a cleaning up of the interface. It looks cool but it isn't intuitive to use at all and I know it certainly put me off when I first started playing.

The actual server browser ui needs work, but the only change I want in the game hud is a number for my current magazine. That bar isn't accurate enough!

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Goons! :argh:

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
There I am, with my stupid helmet I got from a chance pack, and the yellow gun camo that I bought for no apparent reason *sigh*

I think all members of GOON should be required to buy Orange Tiger camo, though. That could be, like, our thing.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

How do you join this team? I'm level 7ish but I like this game a bunch, do I have to wait for level 10?

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Reiley posted:

How do you join this team? I'm level 7ish but I like this game a bunch, do I have to wait for level 10?

Send a mail and friendrequest to the inviters listed in the second post.

e. No need to wait :)

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Lima posted:

Send a mail and friendrequest to the inviters listed in the second post.

To add to this, bear in mind you have to be online at the same time as one of the folks who can invite you to the GOON clan (which is dumb).

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

To add to this, bear in mind you have to be online at the same time as one of the folks who can invite you to the GOON clan (which is dumb).

This is the most insane design choice I've ever seen.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Doubly so because friend requests can be accepted offline just fine :psyduck:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Not to bitch too much but anyone else have more ideas about my bizarre performance? I was playing today with ONLY shadows/lights on and med textures and it was still doing horrible hitching. Turning them off MOSTLY fixed it but it still poo poo the bed every so often, despite running 40+ constantly.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Not to bitch too much but anyone else have more ideas about my bizarre performance? I was playing today with ONLY shadows/lights on and med textures and it was still doing horrible hitching. Turning them off MOSTLY fixed it but it still poo poo the bed every so often, despite running 40+ constantly.

Have you tried running other Unreal engine games to see if it's a problem there? Tribes ascend is FTP and runs on unreal if you don't have a game on hand.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Just blew another 8k on 200GP packs trying to get the blue hardsuit armor. I didn't get anythings useful for trading this time. :argh:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

Have you tried running other Unreal engine games to see if it's a problem there? Tribes ascend is FTP and runs on unreal if you don't have a game on hand.

XCOM runs decently (granted it's not a shooter), Dishonored, Arkham City, Painkiller HD, RO2, all run pretty well (40+) with most of the bells and whistles turned on.

NONE of them do the same weird stuttering thing either, if they gently caress up it's just low framerates.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

XCOM runs decently (granted it's not a shooter), Dishonored, Arkham City, Painkiller HD, RO2, all run pretty well (40+) with most of the bells and whistles turned on.

NONE of them do the same weird stuttering thing either, if they gently caress up it's just low framerates.

Mine runs like rear end too, unless I have it on medium everything in DX9 mode. I can sorta do textures on high, but that makes larger maps still terrible. Zombie really hosed up optimization or something, because no other UE3 game runs this badly except maybe Alpha Protocol.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Do you use MSI afterburner or any other decent GPU management app? Most log your GPU usage, see if you have any massive drops. Could be your GPU downthrottling.

Azzanadra
Jun 18, 2008

The Light is the power of Dance

I started having that problem for a while, until I realized that I moved my laptop onto something that didn't disperse the heat coming from the video card very well, effectively overheating it. That might be something worth looking into.

e: removed criticism of Zombie programming because it detracted from the point I was making.

Azzanadra fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 22, 2013

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

Do you use MSI afterburner or any other decent GPU management app? Most log your GPU usage, see if you have any massive drops. Could be your GPU downthrottling.

Pretty sure I have it installed but I don't use it regularly. I'll start trying to log poo poo while playing Blacklight as well as a few other games for comparison's sake.

Azzanadra posted:

I started having that problem for a while, until I realized that I moved my laptop onto something that didn't disperse the heat coming from the video card very well, effectively overheating it. That might be something worth looking into.

That said though, Zombie seems to have done a horrific job at optimizing this game's code, seeing as how the first thing anybody suggests for any kind of performance problem is "Turn off DX11", despite DX11 working perfectly fine in practically any other game I've used recently.

I have DX11 turned off. I have EVERYTHING off, except textures to medium. It STILL stutters a small amount, especially on larger maps (containment) or one quick motion on those larger maps (swinging around a corner and full-auto'ing some dude).

Morshu
Sep 30, 2009

Attack monkey! Monkey attack!
Just got a perm LMG-R out of a mission chance pack. :woop:
I always liked the premade ones.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Morshu posted:

I never liked premades weapons for the same reason I don't like hero characters. I am here to customize everything about my player and gun, not to use someone else's idea. I do wish that the emblem editor was more powerful though, then I could customize forever.

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:

Morshu posted:

I got a perm AK out of one yesterday.

I already have one, and it auto-activates. :suicide:

Morshu
Sep 30, 2009

Attack monkey! Monkey attack!

Elliotw2 posted:

I never liked premades weapons for the same reason I don't like hero characters. I am here to customize everything about my player and gun, not to use someone else's idea. I do wish that the emblem editor was more powerful though, then I could customize forever.

I like using the premades to try out some of the fancier receivers that I haven't unlocked or don't want to spend zen on. I always liked the LMG-R because it felt like a HAR with more recoil and a bigger mag.

Maddot_66 posted:

I got a perm AK out of one yesterday.

I already have one, and it auto-activates. :suicide:

Its so dumb that it auto activates, but I guess they don't want the market flooded with perm guns. It should at least take perm stuff you have off the loot table or something.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Geekslinger posted:

Just blew another 8k on 200GP packs trying to get the blue hardsuit armor. I didn't get anythings useful for trading this time. :argh:

I got an unused yellow HS camo. It's not blue, but perhaps it'll grow on you? v:shobon:v

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Lima posted:

I got an unused yellow HS camo. It's not blue, but perhaps it'll grow on you? v:shobon:v

Yes! That is on my wish list to. I've got spare a tactical SMG and a burstfire SMG.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I don't know if there's a difference between the 32-bit and the 64-bit options of DxDiag but it gave me the option to run both so I did.

32-bit DxOrthog
64-bit DxOrthog

One thing you'll note: I'm a GIANT STUPID IDIOT and I told you the wrong card. I actually have a GeForce GTX 560. I haven't had the 8800GT in over a year now. My insanely bad stupid loving idiot mistake.

Sorry, I didn't get a chance to look over these this weekend. I'll try to schedule some time today to look at them.

E:

Just took a look and the first thing I noticed is that your video card drivers are a few versions behind. I doubt this will fix your issue but it never hurts to have the latest drivers (most of the time).

link to the latest drivers

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 22, 2013

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Yeah, I haven't updated in a few months. I doubt it will do anything but there's a slim chance it actually might. nVidia drivers have routinely been loving WEIRD for me in the past.

My very first mission chance gave me a perm premade smg and I'm enjoying the gently caress out of it on tighter maps. All others have hosed me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Yeah, I haven't updated in a few months. I doubt it will do anything but there's a slim chance it actually might. nVidia drivers have routinely been loving WEIRD for me in the past.

The more I research this the more reports of driver related silliness with that NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 I find. Try this:

• Update to the latest drivers
  • Change BLR to run in “Fullscreen Boarderless”
  • Turn OFF v-sync
  • Uninstall NVIDIA HD Audio support

:heysexy:

Miss-Bomarc posted:

There I am, with my stupid helmet I got from a chance pack, and the yellow gun camo that I bought for no apparent reason *sigh*

I think all members of GOON should be required to buy Orange Tiger camo, though. That could be, like, our thing.

I’d be down for some Orange Tiger camo, however, I do really enjoy the crazy neon colors. It seems no matter how much GP I earn I always find crap to waste it on. I’m currently trying to perm the two new barrels, save up for the M4X when the receiver is GP permable, and I want to burn it on chance packs to get more pilot camo.

• Locked thread