Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

crowfeathers posted:

I've been playing a lot of survival horror lately, and have checked out most of the obvious ones (Silent Hill, Resident Evil, etc). Could anyone suggest something good which I might have missed? Preferably something I can get running on my PC - I don't really have any consoles besides my old Playstation 1.

Teleglitch if PS1 graphics don't hurt your eyes to badly. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

VelociBacon posted:

Xperteleven.com is exactly for you. There's even a big goon league, check us out in games.

Excellent! I will check in.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
So, I'm looking for a squad-based strategy or tactics game featuring lots of urban operations, whether it's military, law enforcement, organized crime, whatever. I'm willing to put up with a significant amount of grognard. I don't even know why, I just can't get enough MOUT at the moment. For PC or Xbox 360.

e: Also any kind of squad-based tactics game involving insurgency, guerrilla actions or unconventional warfare. I loving loved the Commandos games.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 20, 2013

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Fallout Tactics (gently caress the haters) is great for that. More abstract pure-tactics recent game would be Frozen Synapse, and don't forget the new XCOM!

E: Really, read these in reverse order. It's late for me :geno:

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Mister Bates posted:

So, I'm looking for a squad-based strategy or tactics game featuring lots of urban operations, whether it's military, law enforcement, organized crime, whatever. I'm willing to put up with a significant amount of grognard. I don't even know why, I just can't get enough MOUT at the moment. For PC or Xbox 360.

e: Also any kind of squad-based tactics game involving insurgency, guerrilla actions or unconventional warfare. I loving loved the Commandos games.

Jagged Alliance 2 Gold also has a bunch of good urban combat. New Xcom, Old Xcom also solid choices.

If you loved the Commando series you should try out some of the Men of War games. Maybe reach back into their predecessor games of Soldiers: Heroes of WW2. Most of these play like the Commando games: "A battalion of Germans is guarding this city/rail station/tank depot. Get in there and destroy them all/steal X/save the VIP". Then the game gives you like 6 dudes who you need to use to knife, steal guns, steal cars, drive cars into buildings, steal/repair tanks and then crash them through buildings. Eventually routing 200 dudes in your half disabled tank firing away while your other last solider tries to scavenge fuel from civilian cars. These games are great multiplayer co-op also.

Usually dislike slow down to compensate for FPS drop, but in the Men of War games its like a badge of honor to see how much slow mo you can cause because you piled 50 150mm explosive shells into a truck, detonated it inside a building and you have to watch it all come crumbling down as the game calculates the destruction.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 20, 2013

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Mister Bates posted:

So, I'm looking for a squad-based strategy or tactics game featuring lots of urban operations, whether it's military, law enforcement, organized crime, whatever.

Well that's too good of an opening to not recommend Omerta. It's a little simplistic, but I just can't hate on a game that lets you be Al Capone.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

pigdog posted:

Teleglitch if PS1 graphics don't hurt your eyes to badly. :)

Oh hey, thanks! I'll definitely check it out.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Please give me any interesting game that has been labelled by nerds as 'pretentious'. I eat up games like Every Day the Same Dream, Kentucky Route Zero and The Cat and the Coup. I like weird, interesting games that go out on a limb to try and say something interesting and profound.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Besson posted:

Please give me any interesting game that has been labelled by nerds as 'pretentious'. I eat up games like Every Day the Same Dream, Kentucky Route Zero and The Cat and the Coup. I like weird, interesting games that go out on a limb to try and say something interesting and profound.

Have you tried playing OFF? It's a little RPG maker game translated from the original french, the most pretentious language. Best part is it's free!
Download here

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Also, I highly recommend Cart Life. It's available free, though you can buy it for $4.99 to unlock an additional character. It's also quite the frustratingly depressing life/job sim, which is probably why some people don't like it. And Spec Ops: The Line gets labelled pretentious a lot, but I enjoyed that too.

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Apr 20, 2013

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

There's always Pathologic, a fabulously depressing open-world adventure game about surviving an epidemic.

HoratioRash
Nov 20, 2012

I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore, Toto

Mister Bates posted:

Absolutely try Jagged Alliance 2 with 1.13 mod and Urban Chaos mod.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Besson posted:

From the same developer as Pathologic, you can also have The Void which is a lot more polished but also superweird. Very Russian in that it's filled with all kinds of symbolism and there's probably a million ways to interpret what the game is trying to tell you. It's more like an interactive poem, although the gameplay is quite fine, too!

As for the other guy, Jagged Alliance 2 with the aforementioned mods is a must-play.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Besson posted:

Spec Ops: The Line has just had people in the Steam thread whine about that exact thing. Braid also gets that criticism a lot. Ditto for The Path, although I haven't played that one (warning: it's abstract and non-graphic, but does involve themes of child abuse and rape.)

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Besson posted:

Welcome to the Rabbit Hole, friend.

Urdnot Fire is right. You're gonna love Cart Life. If you don't love Cart Life, play Half Life for 20 more years and then try Cart Life again. I'm also following Papers, Please, currently in playable beta. It's another monotony simulator with that wonderful drab pixel art.

I see you like adventure games. Well, have you tried their evolutionary ancestor, the Interactive Fiction? Now there's a niche place with lots of creative, quirky, insufferable minds working. Adam Cadre makes wonderful, contemporary IF games. His most artful one is probably Photopia. Emily Short is another prolific IF writer.

Thirty Flights of Loving is a very different take on the FPS formula. Here you won't find any radically experimental gameplay, but Brendon Chung is definitely playing around with the storytelling.

Cowboyana is the only thing from the Western genre I've ever enjoyed. Everything from Messhof comes from a clearly troubled mind.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Thanks for the recommendations. I love Cart Life and Thirty Flights of Loving, so you guys are nailing it on the head. I had issues with Braid, but I am glad I played it.

Going to check out The Path, OFF and Pathologic. If anyone has any more, I am happy to check them out.

Interactive Fiction sounds interesting, but in the past I have found the prose a little lacking, so that turns me off. I'll check out those mentioned, and see if they change my mind on the genre.

Besson fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 21, 2013

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Which single player campaign is more fun, Dawn of War II or Starcraft II? I enjoyed Dark Crusade more than either Warcraft III or Starcraft's single player campaigns. The Blizzard single player games always felt too far removed from an actual head to head, "fair" skirmish; the campaigns felt like extended tutorials. Dark Crusade was generally more like a series of skirmishes against the AI, IIRC.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Note that while The Witcher 2 looks amazing it does not use DX11. Tomb Raider, Crysis 2-3(especially 3) and Metro 2033 do, though, and make good use of it. Crysis 3 is not actually a great game or necessarily even a good one but the gameplay is just good enough to carry you through some absolutely ridiculous visuals. Easily the best looking game in existence right now, at least from a technical standpoint.

BF3 also has amazing graphics.

I finally got The Witcher 2 installed today after what felt like a couple hours of install and patching, played it for an hour, and uninstalled it. Not my cup of tea at all. I'd never get used to that combat. Tomb Raider is probably the best looking of the bunch (despite tessellation causing that stupid black speckle problem), followed right behind by Arkham City. I'll give Crysis 3 a shot based on what you said, I do kinda want to see how it looks.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Just another reccomendation for OFF for any fans of RPGs like Earthbound. The main battle theme is one of the most addicting and bizarre things I've heard. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1EPegIzD2M

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been in the mood for an RPG where I can make some choices that matter. I've been on an MMO stint, and it's a little depressing how nothing that you do has an impact on what I do. I've got Witcher 2 and KotOR 2 and I wouldn't mind snagging a few more since I tend to need a couple games to play at a time or I get bored.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Definitely check out Alpha Protocol. The gameplay isn't great, so you should probably play on a lower difficulty, but the amount of branching in the storyline is fantastic. Also Fallout: New Vegas, on the off-chance you haven't played it yet.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Blast of Confetti posted:

I've been in the mood for an RPG where I can make some choices that matter. I've been on an MMO stint, and it's a little depressing how nothing that you do has an impact on what I do. I've got Witcher 2 and KotOR 2 and I wouldn't mind snagging a few more since I tend to need a couple games to play at a time or I get bored.

Dragon Age games are pretty good about this.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I suppose your best bet would be something like Alpha Protocol - every characters' opinion of you is measured, and by manipulating various people or whatever different things can happen.

Another option: Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Blast of Confetti posted:

n-thing the recommendations of Both Alpha Protocol and Dragon Age. Regarding Dragon Age, make sure that you play the first one. The second one is like a pyramid, where the longer you go into the game the fewer different paths remain.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Which single player campaign is more fun, Dawn of War II or Starcraft II? I enjoyed Dark Crusade more than either Warcraft III or Starcraft's single player campaigns. The Blizzard single player games always felt too far removed from an actual head to head, "fair" skirmish; the campaigns felt like extended tutorials. Dark Crusade was generally more like a series of skirmishes against the AI, IIRC.

Dawn of War 2's campaign is amazing, and you can co-op in it, so if you're interested in that it's significantly better than SC2. Even if you're not, it's significantly cheaper. You could just play DoW2+Chaos Rising (Retribution is separate, and also kinda fun, but more like the first Dawn of War), and wait until SC2 part 3 is released, since there'll probably be a gold edition or whatever.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

It should be noted though that DoW2 is not really a skirmish-type campaign, but more along the lines of a party-based diablo-style ARPG

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Bouchacha posted:

It should be noted though that DoW2 is not really a skirmish-type campaign, but more along the lines of a party-based diablo-style ARPG

Retribution, however, does slant a bit more to an RTS since you can order in generics. It does play a lot like an ARPG, but it's also a lot more tactical than most ARPGs and feels closer to the online aspect (except you have more than one hero + their gear)

SC2's a mixed bag. WoL's missions are full of gimmicks that, while fun, also don't make it really play like an RTS. Heart of the Swarm is far worse though, as Kerrigan is so powerful that the game feels like a dumbed down, easy mode version of DoW 2. The extra units and upgrades in the SC2 campaigns simply give the player too many advantages while DoW 2 can really feel like a nailbiter in parts.

Plus, DoW 2 has far better writing. WoL's is bad, but enjoyable due to the aesthetics. HotS is just plain bad.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 21, 2013

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

fozzy fosbourne posted:

KoldPT posted:

Dawn of War 2's campaign is amazing, and you can co-op in it, so if you're interested in that it's significantly better than SC2. Even if you're not, it's significantly cheaper. You could just play DoW2+Chaos Rising (Retribution is separate, and also kinda fun, but more like the first Dawn of War), and wait until SC2 part 3 is released, since there'll probably be a gold edition or whatever.

Allow me to disagree. I preferred SC2's, because it offers a ton of replay (you can pick missions you want to do, do achievement runs, etc) and the difficulty levels range from "don't even have to try" to ":supaburn:" so you can do just what you want, brush up your micro, etc. The missions are all unique, such as fighting on a planet that is being destroyed slowly by a supernova, or where you are facing protoss superunits and have to decide how much time you want to spend using the laser drill to complete the mission, or have it target the superunits. Micro, micro :allears:

DOW2 had boss fights that nearly-instantly kill your squad so you have to continually revive them or play stupid-cautious. It's not even really an RTS, it's a squad game. I was very disappointed after DOW1, not even co-op saved it :smith: While most of the game isn't boss fights, each one brings it to a goddamn halt.

That said, you can probably skip SC2:HotS, the singleplayer is more like 'Diablo with zerg'. Mash QWER, send an infinite zerg pile at the enemy, repeat until enemy is dead. It's interesting that they reference the choices you make in SC2 base, but I couldn't bring myself to do the replays and find out how much the decisions actually mean. On the other hand, I 100%'d the base SC2.

If you pay attention to the SC2 chats (I'm a sucker for lore and dialog), another fun thing:
They really, really drill it into you that SOMEONE is a traitor. It is the least subtle foreshadowing. No fewer than 6 characters out of, what, 10? Say that either "someone on board will betray you" or "Marcus Phoenix will betray you" or, in one case, "I, Marcus Phoenix, will betray you. Also, I am currently betraying you." Then Raynor is all surprised at the end of it like nobody could have see this coming. It was so heavy handed I was sure it was anyone BUT Marcus :haw:

Edit: Careful re-reading your request, very very few (if any) of the SC2:WoL missions are 'skirmish' types, they are by and large scenarios, but not tutorials. SC2:HotS has many more 'build base, crush enemy' levels, but you have a superunit in tow. :shrug:

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 22, 2013

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Name some more games where you are a single guy and the game involves leading, ordering, and upgrading an army.

Games I have played:

Brutal Legend (Didn't like it.)
Overlord Series (Enjoyed)
Mount and Blade (Enjoyed)
Viking Battle for Asgard (Enjoyed)

joshtothemaxx posted:

I'm in need of a quality flash, Chrome, or something else casual and computer based. I sit at a reference desk for a few hours a night, and some nights I just don't want to read. The game cannot be action-based as I have to actually do my job and help someone about once an hour.

I'd really like some type of sports manager/simulator game (a la Football Manager) or Be a Pro style game (like that mode all mainstream sports games have). I'd also be cool with an engaging RPG or TCG style game. As long as the game has a long goal I can build to, I'd be happy. Also, no tower defenses. I've basically exhausted them.

Try Feudalism 2.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/vitaly/feudalism-ii

It's a strategy RPG where you invade cities and castles, building yourself and your army. There's no in game pause button, but just right click if something comes up when you're in a battle.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 22, 2013

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Overlord is Pikmin. Play Pikmin. Pikmin 1 put some people off because it has a time limit, but if you can train yourself to relax and try to collect one ship part per day it's fine. Pikmin 2 does not have the time limit. I recommend the Wii versions of both games, but the GC versions are good too.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Are there any "good" diablo like games that is not torchlight or path of exiles? I loved D2 , for several reasons. One is that I could pop in and do meaningful runs even if I had like 10 or 20 minutes to kill.

Also, after playing wow for over 5 years I"m done but looking for some MMO to play while I wait for the FF14 beta to come out. Rift doesn't cut it. I wouldn't mind playing a wrath era wow private server, just to level and quest in, if anyone has one to suggest .

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Also, after playing wow for over 5 years I"m done but looking for some MMO to play while I wait for the FF14 beta to come out. Rift doesn't cut it.

If you want something different, Secret World is B2P now and has awesome solo questing. If you want something more generic, TERA is F2P now and has some interesting takes on combat that might be fun to play with (but questing is boring as poo poo)

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Another very different MMO is Age of Wushu, a Chinese F2P kung fu sandbox that is much more fun than it sounds. The combat is a pretty fun, more actiony than most traditional MMO's, and it's pretty much a modernized Ultima Online with hilarious Chinglish.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

William Bear posted:

Name some more games where you are a single guy and the game involves leading, ordering, and upgrading an army.

Games I have played:

Sounds like you're looking for Sacrifice, Battlezone, and Battlezone 2. If you didn't like Brutal Legend you might not like Sacrifice that much but I'd still suggest giving it a try, while the Battlezone games are pretty much mandatory for everyone to try at least once.

Sacrifice is the game Brutal Legend was based on, and is extremely similar in terms of gameplay, except you have mana instead of fans and spells instead of solos.

Battlezone is a standard Command-and-Conquer-style RTS with resource-gathering and base-building and training units, except that 'you' is a physical unit on the battlefield that can run around in first-person perspective and shoot poo poo and drive vehicles and die ignominously.

e: Also might try Carrier Command, either the original if you can find it somehow or the remake which is on Steam.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Johnny Aztec posted:

Are there any "good" diablo like games that is not torchlight or path of exiles? I loved D2 , for several reasons. One is that I could pop in and do meaningful runs even if I had like 10 or 20 minutes to kill.

Drox Operative basically diablo... in space

SatelliteCore
Oct 16, 2008

needa get dat cake up

Johnny Aztec posted:

Also, after playing wow for over 5 years I"m done but looking for some MMO to play while I wait for the FF14 beta to come out. Rift doesn't cut it. I wouldn't mind playing a wrath era wow private server, just to level and quest in, if anyone has one to suggest .

Titan Quest + The Immortal throne expansion.

Make sure you launch the game from the immortal throne so you get the added game features. I always come back to this game. One of the best parts is that the ragdoll physics ramp up with your damage do there are times you're tossing mobs across the screen or up in the air. The skill trees are interesting (and you dual spec), there are different colors of loot and all that. I love this game to death and can't wait for Iron Lore's next game, Grim Dawn.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Overlord is Pikmin. Play Pikmin. Pikmin 1 put some people off because it has a time limit, but if you can train yourself to relax and try to collect one ship part per day it's fine. Pikmin 2 does not have the time limit. I recommend the Wii versions of both games, but the GC versions are good too.

Doesn't the Wii versions lack the ability to move your Pikmin precisely around Olimar though? It's something you really do need in certain places in both games.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

William Bear posted:

Games I have played:

Seconding this, also, have you tried...

Fire Emblem?
X-Com?
Omerta?
Uncharted Waters 2: New Horizons?

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

William Bear posted:

Games I have played:

If you haven't yet, play Heart of the Swarm. Most of the missions are you organizing your army around Kerrigan (or some other insanely overpowered hero unit).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

You could check out Jagged Alliance 2 (get the Gold version, it's the one that fans keep updated). You start out as a single customizable unit, but can recruit more and kit them out as you take over and liberate a dictatorship. The combat is excellent ;)