Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Torpor posted:

I really wish Khamms would stop going gorge tunnel first. Nobody puts down the goddamn tunnels and even if they do, nobody uses them.

Gorge tunnels are awesome and I actually see them used a pretty good bit, especially early when you're just getting second hive upgrades. I've seen alot of people put down gorge tunnels from the second hive to your first forward crag/hydra base near an enemy tech point you want or want dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Torpor posted:

I really wish Khamms would stop going gorge tunnel first. Nobody puts down the goddamn tunnels and even if they do, nobody uses them.

I wish gorges couldn't put them in vents or other BS locations like this one:

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Dyz posted:

I wish gorges couldn't put them in vents or other BS locations like this one:

That's hilarious. At least they can't get crags and a shade up there.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Don't tunnels need to be on infestation? How does it even get up there?

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

TheMostFrench posted:

Tunnels are like hydras. They die slowly off creep and don't self build. A gorge being next to them takes care of both of those problems. You can drop them pretty much wherever, including inside the enemy base if they're not paying attention. You have to have a certain amount of space, but if you've got enough space for a gorge tunnel you usually have enough space to evolve too, so if a skulk can get there you can gorge it up.

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 22, 2013

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Unless something changed randomly and recently, hydras don't die off creep at all. Tunnels I don't think die off either, but I'd have to go double check before saying for sure. They don't auto-build (heal-spray to build them), but hydras for sure and tunnels I'm pretty confident don't die off creep.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

TheMostFrench posted:

One of the worst/best gorge tunnels I've seen was in the skylights-overlook vent. It's perfect since they got rid of the geometry in skylights that lets marines into that vent.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Tunnels can be built anywhere that's flat and they don't die if it's not on infestation. I saw a fantastic tunnel snuck into the back of the marine main base on Veil once.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

ZypherIM posted:

Unless something changed randomly and recently, hydras don't die off creep at all. Tunnels I don't think die off either, but I'd have to go double check before saying for sure. They don't auto-build (heal-spray to build them), but hydras for sure and tunnels I'm pretty confident don't die off creep.

I'm behind on patch notes.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Tunnels can be built anywhere that's flat and they don't die if it's not on infestation. I saw a fantastic tunnel snuck into the back of the marine main base on Veil once.

I love behind the node in Data the most.

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 22, 2013

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

You must be really far behind on patch notes because hydras have been the same since release.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

The Flying Fish posted:

You must be really far behind on patch notes because hydras have been the same since release.

I could have sworn I've had hydras die off creep since release. Must have just gotten very slowly whittled down without me noticing or something.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Yup. They don't heal though, so unless there's a nearby crag or a gorge babysitting them they will ultimately get killed by Marines just from slow attrition.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
Well, thanks for the suggestions, but even after a C++ library update and such, I'm still crashing all the time. At least the crash report thing works now so I can alert them that something's up.

You know what else sucks? Playing in a rookie-friendly server with some jerk who thinks it's fun to beat up on newbies and ends up going 42-0 when only a couple other players are barely cracking 10 kills. He stuck around for a couple rounds and made fun of other people throughout the whole ordeal. Real classy, rear end in a top hat.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I'd like to thank Bitey for his How to Advanced Lerk video. I've been following some of the advice given in it, and have been an absolute terror with it in games. I never would have thought of flying closer to the ground, but it really makes sense now that I think about it!

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Visual Sneeze posted:

Well, thanks for the suggestions, but even after a C++ library update and such, I'm still crashing all the time. At least the crash report thing works now so I can alert them that something's up.

You know what else sucks? Playing in a rookie-friendly server with some jerk who thinks it's fun to beat up on newbies and ends up going 42-0 when only a couple other players are barely cracking 10 kills. He stuck around for a couple rounds and made fun of other people throughout the whole ordeal. Real classy, rear end in a top hat.

Those people are the worst. Sometimes in small games I like to encourage new players to comm, then help talk them through it. Some people totally ruin it though when they join and start complaining about the comm and how much he sucks etc. It is like some people just try and drive away new players.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
That reminds me of playing Counterstrike a decade ago when there were server moderators politely asking players with 50-2 ratios that ruined the game for everyone else to leave and find more appropriate skilled servers. Unless they were assholes they usually got the compliment and complied. Well either that or an automated warning and kick plugin.

Not that today's skill matching technology does a better job against sandbagging or even coordinated clan stacks. :smith:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Limastock posted:

Those people are the worst. Sometimes in small games I like to encourage new players to comm, then help talk them through it. Some people totally ruin it though when they join and start complaining about the comm and how much he sucks etc. It is like some people just try and drive away new players.
It'd be great if the game tracked Com and non-Com time separately, so you could log in, see that the player has <6 hours of comming experience, pop your "helpful advice" hat on and just accept that it's going to be a rough ride. The problem with newbie coms is that if you see someone dropping turrets and ignoring your requests for a stealth phasegate it's really hard to tell whether they're new or just stubbornly awful. If the former, it's fun to explain what the tech tree is, what's worth doing and what isn't, where your buttons are etc. If the latter, if it's two minutes in and they're still refusing to research phase tech because "it's a waste of res" while complaining about people taking too long to get places, a brief explanation of their failings as an individual followed by X -> Eject is a perfectly reasonable course of action. The problem is when the latter gets applied to the former and someone gets yelled at by people who wouldn't dream of doing that to someone who's just inexperienced.

(I rarely Marine com because I don't have the reaction times (I'm not great at RTS's in general). I know what I should be doing, I just can't do it fast enough)

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

GenericOverusedName posted:

I'd like to thank Bitey for his How to Advanced Lerk video. I've been following some of the advice given in it, and have been an absolute terror with it in games. I never would have thought of flying closer to the ground, but it really makes sense now that I think about it!

ISN'T IT AWESOME?!

One helpful tip now that you've joined the lerk players: Learn, as soon as you can, who the players on the other team with good aim are. Lerks move too drat slow to dodge those who point and click well.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Well, you should figure that out in general no matter what you're playing. It's how you know the difference between 'some random fade the two of us can probably take out' versus 'oh poo poo its THAT FUKKIN FADE'.

But yeah. Always know where you are at, and the fastest way to break LOS. This goes for all aliens, not just lerks!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Limastock posted:

My favorite are people who join mid-round and start complaining about the commander based on what they see at the time and no knowledge of how the game has progressed so far. A week ago I reluctantly commanded one game because no one else would, noting that if people wanted a better comm or were going to complain, they should have volunteered themselves. That naturally keeps people quiet who are there at the start of the round and usually they tend to work better with the commander that way.

The teams were pretty stacked and it was downhill the whole time, so sure enough some guy shows up a few minutes in and starts typing "prostrat" and similarly clever things about how we had an unlinked phase gate with only one extractor (our team building the other phase gate had just gotten wiped out and our resources had been harassed to the point where the game was already decided at that point). Then even though the aliens had more players he somehow managed to switch to their team and stack it even further.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 23, 2013

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Learning how gravity affects you is also important as a lerk. When you start high and glide along the ground you keep the speed of your dive. I think it's called shark-lerking but I might be wrong.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Dyz posted:

Learning how gravity affects you is also important as a lerk. When you start high and glide along the ground you keep the speed of your dive. I think it's called shark-lerking but I might be wrong.
Sort of. You slow down if you glide upwards, you speed up if you glide downwards. There is an upper bounds to horizontal movement though. It's the same speed as if you're flap-gliding. If you want to test it, you can see in I think it's the descent secret room, the one with the giant fade. Dive directly downwards and you will accelerate, but you will slow down when you level out.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Had a great game last night where I started off on aliens. We did a great job of holding them in and took over a good portion of the map, to the point where some people left the marines before we could really get together a strong enough assault to hit main properly (approaching mid-game). I switched to marines to even the teams and some other black armor guy and I lead some crazy desperation pushes. We slowly beat the aliens back into two hives - one being actively sieged and the other pressed by jetpackers. A few aliens quit and I switch again only to take part in super successful ninja gorge rush that wipes out the marine main while we cut off phases between the other two comm stations. Aliens rode the momentum and pulled out a tense victory that was a real blast!

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Bhodi posted:

Sort of. You slow down if you glide upwards, you speed up if you glide downwards. There is an upper bounds to horizontal movement though. It's the same speed as if you're flap-gliding. If you want to test it, you can see in I think it's the descent secret room, the one with the giant fade. Dive directly downwards and you will accelerate, but you will slow down when you level out.

If you point your mouse cursor slightly down (and i mean like 1-2 degrees) while gliding on the ground you actually receive a speed boost. In fact this speed boost is higher than the boost you get from flapping like a madman. W/o celerity it's 12.65 vs the 11ish of a normal glide/flap. With celerity it's around 15 while the normal glide/flaps will get you around 13.

I used to think the game was "tricked" into thinking the lerk was diving on the floor when you did this (which may be part of it). However, after testing it I only reached those speeds on the floor (even when diving from the top of the gap and crevice). There seems to be a weird area between the floor and about a foot off the floor where a lerk can accelerate beyond their max speed. This also may be why Bitey gets that little boost when he flaps from being perched (and another reason to fly along the floor like he does).

EDIT: fixed the numbers again

Dyz fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 23, 2013

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Huh, I thought they fixed that particular feature of the lerk flight mechanics months ago. I've been ground lerking much less frequently because I was under the impression that it no longer gave a speed boost.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Dear Marines,

Alamos are fun. We all like them; the desperate, spirited defense of your last tech point against a foe that controls the rest of the map, who keeps doggedly coming even after being blasted time and time again. The feeling that you're going to lose, but by god you'll make the other team pay for every inch. The exception that proves the rule that winning isn't always the most fun you'll have.

Alamos as besieged Marines are fun.

Alamos as besieged Aliens are NOT fun.

Alamos as besieged aliens suck. When you're down to one hive and one RT as aliens, you probably only have one upgrade, you're probably a skulk, you probably can't leap, you're probably egg locked, and you almost certainly won't recover. You can't pick up a dead Onos and keep pumping out stomps. You can't blast at a doorway to keep your foe at bay; they're doing that to you. If you're lucky, a lone marine comes into the hive and jumps around for 15 seconds to give you something to kill.

Extended sieges where the Marines want to play cautious and wait for dual exos are worse. You're basically stuck in an unfun situation, and you can't even go out in a blaze of glory because the Marines won't fight you. What's worse is that you know that the round could end but the marine team CHOOSES NOT TO END IT, because they all want the chance to stomp around in dual exo suits, but they're going to screw it up and get killed instead and the game STILL won't be over. So instead of beaconing and marching into the hive and ending it, the Marines will choose that moment to start building arcs, so that they can siege your T1 hive while you wait in frustration.

Marines: when the end is near, just march in and shoot the hive. You can out spawn and out match the aliens, and you can end the game in 30 seconds. Just do it, so that everyone can get on with the game and HAVE FUN.

I am bitter about Marines making unnecessary sieges.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Volmarias posted:

Dear Marines,

Alamos are fun. We all like them; the desperate, spirited defense of your last tech point against a foe that controls the rest of the map, who keeps doggedly coming even after being blasted time and time again. The feeling that you're going to lose, but by god you'll make the other team pay for every inch. The exception that proves the rule that winning isn't always the most fun you'll have.

Alamos as besieged Marines are fun.

Alamos as besieged Aliens are NOT fun.

Alamos as besieged aliens suck. When you're down to one hive and one RT as aliens, you probably only have one upgrade, you're probably a skulk, you probably can't leap, you're probably egg locked, and you almost certainly won't recover. You can't pick up a dead Onos and keep pumping out stomps. You can't blast at a doorway to keep your foe at bay; they're doing that to you. If you're lucky, a lone marine comes into the hive and jumps around for 15 seconds to give you something to kill.

Extended sieges where the Marines want to play cautious and wait for dual exos are worse. You're basically stuck in an unfun situation, and you can't even go out in a blaze of glory because the Marines won't fight you. What's worse is that you know that the round could end but the marine team CHOOSES NOT TO END IT, because they all want the chance to stomp around in dual exo suits, but they're going to screw it up and get killed instead and the game STILL won't be over. So instead of beaconing and marching into the hive and ending it, the Marines will choose that moment to start building arcs, so that they can siege your T1 hive while you wait in frustration.

Marines: when the end is near, just march in and shoot the hive. You can out spawn and out match the aliens, and you can end the game in 30 seconds. Just do it, so that everyone can get on with the game and HAVE FUN.

I am bitter about Marines making unnecessary sieges.

Your teammates aren't conceding at that point? Ouch.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Line Feed posted:

Your teammates aren't conceding at that point? Ouch.

Sometimes they do, but when they don't...

I'd like to mention how happy I am about concede, and how it really helps on a server with experienced players. The only thing I don't like is when people are quick to concede because they think they're going to lose, even when there's plenty of chances for fun.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ive seen a recent trend of teams conceding while still holding 2 tech points and it's annoying. You should never concede with 2 tech points.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Limastock posted:

Ive seen a recent trend of teams conceding while still holding 2 tech points and it's annoying. You should never concede with 2 tech points.

I've seen this too, though usually it's when the conceding team realizes that they've been terribly outmaneuvered and that they're in for an unfun pub stomp, since they don't have the money to do anything but slowly lose from attrition. At least it's somewhat forgivable at that point.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe it's just me, but I think the game was better before concede was put in. Obviously being stuck to a single room waiting for the end sucks and will always suck, but there's also something to be said about fighting to the last man. It's valuable play experience that probably helps in future games.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Volmarias posted:

I've seen this too, though usually it's when the conceding team realizes that they've been terribly outmaneuvered and that they're in for an unfun pub stomp, since they don't have the money to do anything but slowly lose from attrition. At least it's somewhat forgivable at that point.

Nah, if the situation is really that bad all you have to do is wait 90 seconds and you should lose that second tech point. I will adamantly stand by my belief that conceding while holding 2 tech points is lameness. There really are no scenarios where it is excusable.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

xzzy posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I think the game was better before concede was put in. Obviously being stuck to a single room waiting for the end sucks and will always suck, but there's also something to be said about fighting to the last man. It's valuable play experience that probably helps in future games.

To be honest, I don't see much abuse of concede. It's usually only used when one team has decided that the game is no longer fun.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Problem is "no longer fun" usually means people just have the perception they are going to lose the game. Dont get me wrong, Im not saying concede should be removed, but people are using it way too early and often now. It has effectively killed the comeback.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I had a funny concede situation last night, the aliens had wiped out our second base with three onos and were on their way to end the game. The marines start conceding but then suddenly MARINES WIN comes up on the screen, and one of the aliens goes "YOU CAN'T EVEN BEAT US AT CONCEDING!"

That was a pretty great way to end, though a couple of the aliens (24 player server) were unreasonably lovely about it.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQe3OwSQerA

Bitey's Fade movement tutorial. Shadowstep+jumping is really sensitive on timing. Hit the space bar too soon after hitting shadowstep and nothing happens. Hit space too late, no dice. Though, I also found out that binding shadowstep to a shoulder button on my mouse helped a huge amount.

You'll know when you do it wrong when you shadowstep forward but end up still on the ground walking forward, now with a frown on your face. You'll know you hit the timing when you shadow step forward and end up sailing through the air like a fade jesus, with a smile on your face.

I was only vaguely familiar with this whole thing; but after screwing around in explore mode for 30 minutes I feel decently okay at moving around. I just know that the first time I think of doing this in combat my timing will go to hell and I'll end up shadowstepping into the middle of a room and :smith:.

Torpor fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 24, 2013

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Been getting some Lerk practice in after watching that video. It's a lot of fun! I'm much better at picking my engagements and making them count, now, but I really need to get that spiking reflex down.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheMostFrench posted:

I had a funny concede situation last night, the aliens had wiped out our second base with three onos and were on their way to end the game. The marines start conceding but then suddenly MARINES WIN comes up on the screen, and one of the aliens goes "YOU CAN'T EVEN BEAT US AT CONCEDING!"

That was a pretty great way to end, though a couple of the aliens (24 player server) were unreasonably lovely about it.
Was that on Tactical gamer? Because if so that was my idea on the alien team (Gorge Costanza). It was so obvious we were going to win I brought up the idea and people just went for it. I thought it was hilarious. I want to say it was on Descent but I was pretty blazed at the time.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

TheMostFrench posted:

This keeps being attempted on Australian servers. The team will be winning and then we'll decide we want to concede because we have 3 Hives and 4 Onosses and so we don't really stand a chance. I've been within a couple of votes of a successful concede but we usually win before we can get it finalised, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
I don't seem to have problems with premature conceding, maybe you're just unlucky?

Like just now, we played a Descent game in which we were baserushed in Drone Bay early on while expanding. Our comm jumped out to fight but was killed while we lost our IP. Two guys (of our 8 or 9) made it back, killed the last bit of the rush, hopped in the chair, and rebuilt. We respawned, secured Hydro, harassed Launch Control and managed to get back into the swing of things. Our commander was frantic and always jumping out to build stuff between his other duties. One of these times, around the third hive completion, another guy hopped in and took his spot, recycling our phase gates a minute later before we ejected him. Luckily we were just hitting the 75 res mark when the Hydro power went down and we got 2 dual exos to take back Hydro while I got a third to defend Drone from the harassing lerks and fades. Somehow it all worked and we moved on to perform some wizardry in Monorail with just one exo and 3 normal marines on support that held on long enough for me and the ARCs to sweep in from the south and finish the job. By that point the momentum had swung completely the other way and we proceeded to steamroll their remaining hives, securing victory at around the 40th (yes 40th) minute mark. Phew.

I'm pretty sure the aliens decided to take it easy on us a few times or otherwise were terribly incompetent, because they spent a lot of res dropping crags and whips everywhere and their first onos practically let us kill him. Still, it was an incredibly amazing game. It almost ended just before the win too, as a map vote came up during the match at around minute 38. We were freaking the gently caress out that it would end before we could get the comeback victory until I scrambled everyone to action in voting for an extend, which barely passed.

• Locked thread