Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
Is anyone else getting lag? I never seemed to get any lag on the Playism version but everyone now and then the frames just drop for a few seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
It seems like any time anything happens in the background (I get an IM, I get a message on League of Legends, a program opens a new window, etc.) the game briefly gets jerky.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Working on figuring out the curry achievement. From snooping about in Steam statistics, it seems there are 10 situations to qualify. They're just numbered, but through trial and error I can see what makes them turn on (assuming I try the right thing). The ones I've found:

0: standard regular control
1: standing in the hot spring
2: swimming in water
3: swimming in lava
4: riding the mine cart in the Ellmac fight
5: ???
6: ???
7: stunned from taking damage
8: stunned from going thud on the ground after a long drop
9: sliding on ice

Things that didn't get me anything:

- swinging a weapon
- climbing ladders
- jumping
- double-jumping
- falling
- falling far enough that he grabs his hat
- hitting a spike
- using a weight
- getting zapped by an eye
- getting a long stun from one of those annoying Twin Labyrinth witches
- stopping time
- setting off the solved-puzzle tune
- setting off the triggered-trap tune
- hanging out in the darkened Chamber of Extinction
- riding the boat in the Bahamut fight

Maybe #4 is just a generic "ride a boss vehicle" one? Otherwise I'd have assumed 5 and 6 were Bahamut and Palenque. Have not yet tried Palenque though, so perhaps he still counts separately given the plane's unique controls. Standing on Viy's body may be worth trying too, ditto with swimming in space (or whatever) in the Mother fight.

And you can't pause/eat in the first place while scanning stuff or in a shop/conversation, or while warping.

Fake edit: Bahamut may be worth re-testing. Steam just took their servers down for downtime maintenance so it's possible that something was screwy with saving achievement progress just now.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Hactar posted:

:siren: Just got my Steam key from Playism purchase:

Just visit http://playism-games.com/serials/index.html and enter the e-mail you used for the purchase.

Got my key this way, and am about to dive back in to the world of La-Mulana.

I had no idea that hard mode literally doubled health and damage of bosses. On my first time through, I activated hard mode and flat-out gave up around the time I hit Baphomet. No more, I say!

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
Also is there any way to modify the controls? The reason i'm asking is because something is perma-bound it my F1 key at it pop ups Windows help every time i try and warp so it's a bit of a pain to close out of the pop up all the time.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Don't recall (I use a 360 controller), but wouldn't it help more in the long run to figure out whatever's making Windows help pop-up for F1 and turn that off?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Revised curry list:

0: standard regular control
1: standing in the hot spring
2: swimming in water
3: swimming in lava
4: fighting Mother phase 1 (first music)
5: fighting Mother phase 2-5 (second music)
6: ending escape sequence (tested after leaving Mother's room, when the timer first appeared)
7: stunned from taking damage
8: stunned from going thud on the ground after a long drop
9: sliding on ice

#4 may be fighting any boss (it triggered on Ellmac too, after all), and #6 may be any time a timer appears on the screen, but the above list can be done by anyone with an endgame save and doesn't require replaying the game, so I'm just going to leave it at that.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
I tried to do all of that but no curry for me. How did you check the flags (or whatever they're called)?

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

I tried to do all of that but no curry for me. How did you check the flags (or whatever they're called)?

Pause and wait until you eat all of your curry and pass out. In each of those situations.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
So I am totally forgetting something here. In the goddess tower, what actually unlocks the plane model? I have the eye of truth, and I killed the platform head things and all that, but the chest just sits there, still locked. Also am I remembering right that this is also the way to open the statues obstructing exit to the Mausoleum of Giants/Chamber of Life?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Google and download gibbed's Steam Achievement Manager. (It goes without saying that gibbed is awesome.)

Anyway, launch Steam, launch the tool, pick La-Mulana in the tool, and go to the Statistics tab. While running La-Mulana it's safe to refresh (and indeed, how else are you going to see up to date changes?), but I ran into problems with the game no longer tracking things (until re-launched) if I tried to edit or reset anything while the game was running.

(Also, of course, editing anything via the tool carries the technical risk of Steam account violation. In practice I doubt they'll complain because you removed progress from yourself in a single-player game, but still, consider yourself warned.)

You can reset statistics without resetting achievements, if you're worried about that.

My next projects will be using a similar "reset and see what makes the flag go to 1" method for the scans, Xelpud conversations, and Mulbruk conversations. Considering I don't know the criteria for most of the latter though, this may prove pretty tricky. For example, I was able to get Mulbruk to start talking about the history of the Nth children, but she only got up to the third child and then went back to her random text the next time I loaded my save, so I'm kinda stumped.

e:

Underwhelmed posted:

So I am totally forgetting something here. In the goddess tower, what actually unlocks the plane model? I have the eye of truth, and I killed the platform head things and all that, but the chest just sits there, still locked. Also am I remembering right that this is also the way to open the statues obstructing exit to the Mausoleum of Giants/Chamber of Life?

Killing the platform heads makes some platforms appear in the respective left and right rooms from the grail point. Make both platforms sink all the way down and the chest unlocks. And you're remembering right: the plane model is what opens the blocked exits.

Vil fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 24, 2013

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Thanks, I checked it out and I didn't get swimming in water and either of the Mother ones. I've done all of them twice now, making sure I get to the full ZZZs.

For the water I think it has to be the water outside, I tried and tried with SitS water but it was no good. Got it immediately with waterfall water. Not sure about the Mother ones though. I've eaten plenty in all of the phases.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

And you're doing it when you're just standing around and not getting hit, right? I'm guessing #7 for taking damage might override them.

Personally I got my water one in SitS the first time I tried (namely, up from grail point, down the right waterfall in that room, and try it out once I hit the water, being sure to dodge the jellyfish so the stun doesn't take priority).

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vil posted:

Killing the platform heads makes some platforms appear in the respective left and right rooms from the grail point. Make both platforms sink all the way down and the chest unlocks. And you're remembering right: the plane model is what opens the blocked exits.

Doh.... both of them were already killed, and the heads never respawned in the dozen or so times I went up and down the tower. I did squash one of them though, the little light in the chest area is green on the right side, but still red on the left. I totally do not remember having to do this before when I played through the remake last year. Hopefully that head on the left reappears soon if it is in fact what I need to advance.

edit: ah poo poo. Now I see. I never remembered that because why the hell would I remember a couple of boring rear end gray platforms just sitting there. Goddamn it.

Underwhelmed fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 24, 2013

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Vil posted:

And you're doing it when you're just standing around and not getting hit, right? I'm guessing #7 for taking damage might override them.

Personally I got my water one in SitS the first time I tried (namely, up from grail point, down the right waterfall in that room, and try it out once I hit the water, being sure to dodge the jellyfish so the stun doesn't take priority).

I got the Mother ones now too, I was doing them just standing around. Eh, maybe you can't do too many in row? I have no idea.

I'll see if I can find out a good route to get the Run to Ruin once I'm done with Hell Temple. I'm hoping it only tracks the screens you've visited so you could go left first and then use the shortcut and visit all of them quicker.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Underwhelmed posted:

The axe works really well too.

Yeah I'm thinking I can just save up 300 coins and get the double damage program combo, grab a fairy, and just outdamage the jerk.

e: Double damage/fairy combo worked like a charm, guy didn't even get me below 100 health.

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 24, 2013

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Underwhelmed posted:

Doh.... both of them were already killed, and the heads never respawned in the dozen or so times I went up and down the tower. I did squash one of them though, the little light in the chest area is green on the right side, but still red on the left. I totally do not remember having to do this before when I played through the remake last year. Hopefully that head on the left reappears soon if it is in fact what I need to advance.

If I recall, I said the respective left and right rooms from the grail point, not left and right sides of the rooms below the grail point. :)

When the left head (and, a little while afterward, its big platform) dies, a small Lemeza-sized platform appears in the left room that leads to the Gate of Illusion. Similarly, when the right head dies, a small Lemeza-sized platform appears in the right room that leads to the Graveyard of the Giants. Those are the platforms I was referring to.

I got the Mother ones now too, I was doing them just standing around. Eh, maybe you can't do too many in row? I have no idea.

I'll see if I can find out a good route to get the Run to Ruin once I'm done with Hell Temple. I'm hoping it only tracks the screens you've visited so you could go left first and then use the shortcut and visit all of them quicker.

Yeah, that sounds weird. Maybe you have to wait for the ZZZs to slow all the way down when pausing or something? Dunno what the exact qualification is for having it count as eating curry.

Run to Ruin sounds like it'll be a pain, yeah. Good luck with that, looking forward to your findings.

e:

Control Volume posted:

Yeah I'm thinking I can just save up 300 coins and get the double damage program combo, grab a fairy, and just outdamage the jerk.

Don't forget about health orbs, either. You can (relatively) easily get all of them except Tower of Ruin, Twin Labyrinths, Shrine of the Mother, and Dimensional Corridor without beating any bosses. Twin Labyrinths can be obtained if you're willing to beat the time-stopping sub-boss Zu (enter from Inferno Cavern), and Tower of Ruin can either be obtained through obnoxious shenanigans without beating bosses, or by beating Sakit. Shrine of the Mother and Dimensional Corridor will both have to wait a long time, though.

Vil fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 24, 2013

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Right, I did Hell Temple. As expected doing it on hard for Masochist King (Hell Temple on Hard) unlocks This Was Not For Human Eyes (Hell Temple) too. Once you learn to cheese the spike slaloms it wasn't that bad except for the room with crumbling platforms and witches which was miserable and excruciating among several other things. Unfortunately for the sane around here, Xelpud has a different line for you after Hell Temple which should count towards hearing everything he has to say.

I figured I'd grab the free Let's Go Together (Do everything under 10) but there are problems. Worst of them is that the senile old fool never sent me the e-mail about showing him the Serpent Staff (#44) and I have no idea how I can get him to send it. Probably not possible anymore. This actually happened to me earlier on the Feather e-mail too, it's likely caused by warping away too fast - I ain't got no time to stand around waitin'! Just something to keep in mind if you want this thing done.

Slightly less worse is the all coin chests one. As far as I can tell you can pick all of them up no matter how late in game you are but who knows where they all are. I picked up every single one mentioned in the wiki and even remembered to pick the final one during escape but still nothing.

To be precise that's:
Surface 3
Guidance 3 Illusion 2
Mao 1 GY 1 (can you get the trap one somehow?)
Sun 1 Moon 1
SitS 1 ToG 2
IC 2 ToR 1
CoE 1 CoB 3
EC 1 DC 1
TL 3
Shrine 1

The Gate of Time and Hell Temple shouldn't have any I think.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I got the coin chest one, and after getting the one during the escape and not triggering the achievement, decided to backtrack and check them all one by one.

Turned out that there were a good half dozen that I thought I'd picked up but hadn't. Whoopsie.

After the backtrack session, when I beat the game and got the one during the escape again, the achievement correctly triggered for me since I'd actually met the qualifications for it.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Yeah, I was missing all of the Guidance ones, then I got it. Too many runs, too poor memory.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Speaking of achievements, I discovered that I locked myself out of one. If you're gonna go for "A fishy item...", either don't take the Shell Horn at the beginning, or avoid buying Guild.exe in the Gate of Guidance, since you'll have to buy one of those in the Spring in the Sky shop to get the achievement. I recommend skipping out on Guild, as you don't really need that piece of software until tackling Hell Temple.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Anyone have a list of every Fairy Point? I think I'm screwed on the fairy point and full ending achievements because I don't think I used the Shrine of the Mother point before it transformed. I guess I'll have to reclear the game on Hard including Hell Temple. :suicide:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

1. Spring in the Sky, en route to Origin Seal/Scalesphere/Bahamut.
2. Chamber of Extinction, three rooms right of grail point (alternatively, up, left, and down from grail point).
3. Twin Labyrinths, room where you enter from Inferno Cavern (alternatively, five rooms left of the backside grail point).
4. Temple of Moonlight, one room below Bronze Mirror door.
5. Gate of Illusion, two rooms left of grail point.
6. Endless Corridor, third floor, where you start the time trial.
7. Shrine of the Mother, room where you use the Dragon Bone to remove the bone walls (left and down from grail point).
8. Tower of the Goddess, top of the central tower. You'll pass by this one a lot of times.
9. True Shrine of the Mother, grail point room (you need to continue partway ahead towards Mother, then loop around from below to get to the fairy point).

Vil fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 24, 2013

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Isn't there one in Hell Temple as well? You need to get a Key Fairy from it to solve a puzzle, if I remember correctly.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

There is but it doesn't count for the ending/achievement.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Can you activate Hard Mode if you cannot read the tablet?

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
I don't think so since the tablet isn't greyed out unless you actually read it.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Can you activate Hard Mode if you cannot read the tablet?

Just tested this and no. Without Reader.exe equipped, the tablet will not flip around the first time. Then just for the sake of scientific accuracy, I read the warning with reader equipped which flipped around the tablet, unequipped the software, and read the tablet again. Nothing happened.

That's pretty nice of NIGORO actually. No punishing people who forgot to buy the reader software and somehow stumbled into the mausoleum.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

Accidentally triggered hard mode after returning to that tablet and forgetting it warned me days ago not to read it. I really don't enjoy hard mode. It makes normal areas more annoying and bosses nearly impossible. I can either restart or drop the game forever but either way it's kind of a kick in the balls.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Scissorfighter posted:

Accidentally triggered hard mode after returning to that tablet and forgetting it warned me days ago not to read it. I really don't enjoy hard mode. It makes normal areas more annoying and bosses nearly impossible. I can either restart or drop the game forever but either way it's kind of a kick in the balls.

Why would you not just reload as soon as you did it, if you knew what happened?

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

guppy posted:

Why would you not just reload as soon as you did it, if you knew what happened?

How could I possibly know what happened? I immediately teleported back to the surface when I saw my life was being drained.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
When given multiple saves, a gamer chooses to ignore them.

I don't know if the wrath of god scales with your health, but I got two orbs and tossed a shuriken at an Egyptian hiding behind a wall and I got knocked halfway across the screen for more than 30 health. I was laughing at how intense it was compared to the other ones and I quickly teleported to the surface.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Scalding Coffee posted:

When given multiple saves, a gamer chooses to ignore them.

I don't know if the wrath of god scales with your health, but I got two orbs and tossed a shuriken at an Egyptian hiding behind a wall and I got knocked halfway across the screen for more than 30 health. I was laughing at how intense it was compared to the other ones and I quickly teleported to the surface.

I'm pretty sure it's a fixed fraction of your health, like five or six strikes at full health.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I just discovered a shortcut to the Tower of the Goddess from the Gate of Time, and completely skipped the Viy fight. I seriously did not know this path existed. I even got an achievement out of it. :psyduck: By the way, is "The Hidden Road" unlocked when you light up the Tower through this path? Or can you just defeat Viy and still get it?

Incidentally, you'll need to know how numbers translate to La-Mulanese and back for a few puzzles. But you can't record untranslated tablets though, so I took a few screenshots for future reference. Translated. Untranslated.

Scalding Coffee posted:

It does. Same goes for taking damage from Spikes.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Does the Wrath of God ever make an appearance in rooms without that Beelzebub eyeball somewhere in the terrain?

Speaking of Beelzebub, does he have a reason for being there in the La-Mulana story/lore? I don't remember him ever being mentioned in the original game, though my entire knowledge of that is from Deceased Crab, so hey yo.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Whoever is the representative/QA for the game, you should make that e-mail about getting the health pickup be for any orb you find and not only the first.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Scissorfighter posted:

Frankly, after so many replays of this game, normal mode is just too easy for me now. Especially bosses which all die pretty quickly. So I'm glad they implemented hard mode the way they did, it's a welcome challenge option once you've mastered the game. Especially given that hard mode did absolutely nothing of note in the original.

Honestly, the only thing missing from this achievement list are any sort of low% challenges outside of the 'no subweapons' ones. I'd love to at least attempt beating Mother with only the starting whip :v:

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Trying to trigger the final boss and I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

I recited the mantras in the proper placed in the right order and got the Shell Horn noise on the last one. I have all the key seals. I have the powered grail and key sword, and the yellow medicine. But when I go to the room her ankh should be in, there's nothing, not even the four seals that should be on the wall.

Any idea what I'm missing or what might be wrong?

vvv Goddamn it of course it's something that obvious. :v: Thanks!

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Apr 25, 2013

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Near the entrance (down and left, if I recall) of the True Shrine of the Mother, there was probably a room that you walked into, went "welp, this dead-ends, can't make any progress going this way", and walked out of again.

Try walking back in and looking around more closely. There's something you can do in the room now that you couldn't do in the Shrine of the Mother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Mao 1 GY 1 (can you get the trap one somehow?)

The one with the 2 ice blocks? Yes. You can drop both blocks, and all it'll do is force you to do a tricky double jump to the chest.

So, how much random dialogue does Xelpud and Mulbruk have? They seem to just randomly select lines from a pool for your visits.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 25, 2013

• Locked thread