Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO
The theme of 3L year is "fees." Say it with me. Fees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I always feel a little sad whenever helpful "don't go to law school" advice turns in to mean "don't go to law school you moron" ranting but I dunno how it can be avoided. It's like a eunuch trying to talk a friend out of teabagging a bear trap, it gets personal

cendien
Sep 14, 2008

Solid Lizzie posted:

The theme of 3L year is "fees." Say it with me. Fees.

I'm a big fan of paying BarBri an additional $25 to ship me a handful of books that I already effectively paid $3000 for.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's like a eunuch trying to talk a friend out of teabagging a bear trap, it gets personal
You, Sir, are a poet.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Soothing Vapors posted:

No, if I remember right he's a special snowflake who was looking forward to joining us because he thinks we are some sort of ~honorable fraternity of damaged souls~ instead of a sad menagerie of bitter, degenerate alcoholics who hate ourselves and each other

I don't hate you bro

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO

cendien posted:

I'm a big fan of paying BarBri an additional $25 to ship me a handful of books that I already effectively paid $3000 for.
That one made me livid.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

cendien posted:

I got lucky and bought BarBri materials from the previous year from an alumna for $50 and just studied from home on my own. Really took the sting out of never finding a job as a lawyer.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Soothing Vapors posted:

No, if I remember right he's a special snowflake who was looking forward to joining us because he thinks we are some sort of ~honorable fraternity of damaged souls~ instead of a sad menagerie of bitter, degenerate alcoholics who hate ourselves and each other

Nah, I'm not a special snowflake in the least. I just sit here and read this stuff, and it sounds a lot like the type of bitching I'm used to hearing from people in my current and soon to be former occupation. Long hours, lovely work, mountains of paperwork, digging through obscure documents to find one line to support your point, excessive drinking, etc.

I fully get that it's poo poo, but the parts that people say are worst are things that I'm already used to or that I actually kindof like in a way. Besides, I'm getting paid to go to school. I have no delusions of getting rich being a lawyer or even getting a job right away. It doesn't matter if I do because I'm already disabled and get paid monthly regardless.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Nah, I'm not a special snowflake in the least. I just sit here and read this stuff, and it sounds a lot like the type of bitching I'm used to hearing from people in my current and soon to be former occupation. Long hours, lovely work, mountains of paperwork, digging through obscure documents to find one line to support your point, excessive drinking, etc.

I fully get that it's poo poo, but the parts that people say are worst are things that I'm already used to or that I actually kindof like in a way. Besides, I'm getting paid to go to school. I have no delusions of getting rich being a lawyer or even getting a job right away. It doesn't matter if I do because I'm already disabled and get paid monthly regardless.

Quoting this for 2017.

Not James Buchanan
Jun 23, 2006

Not James Buchanan fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 2, 2013

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

Ainsley McTree posted:

I always feel a little sad whenever helpful "don't go to law school" advice turns in to mean "don't go to law school you moron" ranting but I dunno how it can be avoided. It's like a eunuch trying to talk a friend out of teabagging a bear trap, it gets personal
Lawyer & Law School Megathread #13: Like Teabagging a Bear Trap

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO
Note to self: become disabled.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

Solid Lizzie posted:

Works, but it only lasts a lifetime.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Soothing Vapors posted:

Easy there, fella. I'm just a patent examiner. I won't have any of this "we" business.

A special thank you goes out to Baruch Obamawitz for suggesting I give this a try before going to law school because, well, it's poo poo.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I like that this thread convincing a guy to take a lovely job actually counts as a win

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

AgentSythe posted:

Easy there, fella. I'm just a patent examiner. I won't have any of this "we" business.

A special thank you goes out to Baruch Obamawitz for suggesting I give this a try before going to law school because, well, it's poo poo.

Well great, and I'm back to hour 14 of work today

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Solid Lizzie posted:

That one made me livid.
Still haven't had mine shipped because I can't bring myself to spend yet another lump of money (even if relatively small) on some more poo poo.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

AgentSythe posted:

I didn't like being an examiner but I like lawyering (except for the hours). YMMV.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

No Fed works 14 hours in one day, especially hoteling examiners. You're not even trying anymore.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Solid Lizzie posted:

Would have made more sense to do it before school starts. As soon as you get a job, you stop getting paid for being disabled. Also make sure you don't become merely mildly or moderately disabled. "Sucks to your assburgers!"--William Golding

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's like a eunuch trying to talk a friend out of teabagging a bear trap, it gets personal
A Good Post

J Miracle posted:

I don't hate you bro

You'd be the first

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

wacko_- posted:

No Fed works 14 hours in one day, especially hoteling examiners. You're not even trying anymore.

I actually did work from 7 until 9 today. I only started playing video games at 9:30 tonight.

Mostly because my wife was sick and sleeping all evening so it's not like I had anything else to do, and I'm moving in a few weeks and want to shore up my production because I'm due for a bonus soon and want to make sure I get it when I don't get much work done for a week.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Well aren't we leisure mclayabout.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

joat mon posted:

You, Sir, are a poet.

I spend all day at my job writing flowery romantic crap about how wonderful the world is and what a life-changing experience it is to travel and see beautiful things and delve into wonderful cultures

when i get home i get dark

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

evilweasel posted:

Well aren't we leisure mclayabout.

Most of the time, and if it makes any of you people in prosecution feel any better, it's probably harder to get a case allowed as a junior examiner because you have to overcome the primary's feeling of "well I'm just not feeling like this is allowable. the claims are pretty broad, no?" without any actual art to argue against.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
Hey, is there a patent equivalent of a sovereign citizen? In Patent Prosecution class several weeks ago, we were looking at a copy of some action or report about a patent application, and I happened to search for one of the examiners' names on Google, a South Asian looking name, and found out that his name had actually been spelled wrong in that report. And I can imagine somebody saying a patent is invalid because of something like that.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

MoFauxHawk posted:

Hey, is there a patent equivalent of a sovereign citizen? In Patent Prosecution class several weeks ago, we were looking at a copy of some action or report about a patent application, and I happened to search for one of the examiners' names on Google, a South Asian looking name, and found out that his name had actually been spelled wrong in that report. And I can imagine somebody saying a patent is invalid because of something like that.

Pro se's are nearly always insane in a similar manner to sovereign citizens.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

AgentSythe posted:

Pro se's are nearly always insane in a similar manner to sovereign citizens.
Eh, I worked with a pro se clerk for a summer, and a lot of those guys wrote better pleadings than a lot of members of the federal bar, especially considering them were in prison.

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO

Green Crayons posted:

Still haven't had mine shipped because I can't bring myself to spend yet another lump of money (even if relatively small) on some more poo poo.
I didn't fill out my bar app until today (NY closes April 30th) just because I didn't want to part with a mere preliminary $250 (doesn't count the laptop fee or the character and fitness stuff.)

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Soothing Vapors posted:

A Good Post

You'd be the first

let's hang out sometime at one of the charming brewpubs in your city...you can introduce me to your Dutch Masters

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

TenementFunster posted:

Eh, I worked with a pro se clerk for a summer, and a lot of those guys wrote better pleadings than a lot of members of the federal bar, especially considering them were in prison.

Poor prisoners rotting in Obama's Patent Prison :(

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

MoFauxHawk posted:

Poor prisoners rotting in Obama's Patent Prison :(
Please. Barry wouldn't put anyone in prison for a patent violation. He'd drone strike 'em.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

TenementFunster posted:

Please. Barry wouldn't put anyone in prison for a patent violation. He'd drone strike 'em.

loving Obama and NBC are keeping this guy's invention from ever seeing the light of day. Free loving gold from water and now the guy's official website is down and no gold generator has been made!

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

TenementFunster posted:

He's referring to pro se inventors, and they're either the patent equivalent to sovereign citizens, too loving cheap to hire someone and they gently caress up badly, or some patent attorney trying to make some bucks on the side or something.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

MoFauxHawk posted:

loving Obama and NBC are keeping this guy's invention from ever seeing the light of day. Free loving gold from water and now the guy's official website is down and no gold generator has been made!

(74) Attorney, Agent, or Firm - Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld, LLP

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

It's a brilliant plan by Obama, imo. Secretly detain the brave inventor of this machine, and at the same time approve the patent so that nobody else can build it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

seeing all this crap about bar exams in the states makes me glad that in my province, the bar admission program consists of 20 weeks of online modules, with written assignments, which from what I have heard, are easy as hell. Even if you gently caress some of them up, you can just re submit the assignment.

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...

MoFauxHawk posted:

Sometimes the USPTO will be like 'you should get a patent attorney or agent' to a pro se person. The 'Godly Powers' patent application from a bit ago was funny and the Examiner suggested that:

http://www.google.com/patents/US20070035812

Just got an interview for an in-house patent counsel position! I've been feeling pretty bored with patent prosecution practice and have been thinking about making a change to in-house.

mongeese fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Apr 25, 2013

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
For the USPTO, attorneys probably babysit the (likely lovely) examiner as much as their client.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

mongeese posted:

Sometimes the USPTO will be like 'you should get a patent attorney or agent' to a pro se person. The 'Godly Powers' patent application from a bit ago was funny and the Examiner suggested that:

http://www.google.com/patents/US20070035812

Just got an interview for an in-house patent counsel position! I've been feeling pretty bored with patent prosecution practice and have been thinking about making a change to in-house.

At least the examiner doesn't have to deal with claim 10, be ause it's in impermissible multiple dependent form!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Last law school final ever today. Magnificent feeling.

Also, no joke, I find class action issues to be some of the most interesting stuff I've studied. Class actions own.