Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Five hundred pretendbux that this is an illusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Affi posted:

Five hundred pretendbux that this is an illusion.

On the one hand: how would anyone setting up the illusion know about Xykon? Is there a generic "Illusion of Viewer's Greatest Fear"* spell? (And if there is, it would probably be vamped-out Durkon, since that's who's currently on Roy's mind.)

On the other hand: it's a Xykon that knows who Roy is. It has to be a fake.

*: Yes, I know about Phantasmal Killer. My point stands.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
That and the runes were mentioned in such an off way that I feel they should be relevant to the current situation. Hypnotism. Rune magic. Something.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cuchulain posted:

What? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat:psyduck:

Seriously what the hell?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Good point about him knowing who Roy is, that's definitely a clue to something.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 25, 2013

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Key point will be whether or not MitD is right behind Redcloak. Since Roy got fully briefed by O-Chul, he knows there's not much reason to fear Monster-san. If he's there, then the odds increase that it's really Xykon and Redcloak getting in from some back entrance that they know about because Girard trusted Serini, and she put it in the diary.

If he's missing then Phantasmal Killer or whatever is more likely.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

AAAAFUCKWHAT

Most casual horrible doom plot twist ever.

ArkhamPraetor
Sep 11, 2011

jng2058 posted:

Key point will be whether or not MitD is right behind Redcloak.

Redcloak's conspicuously off-panel eye is probably the determining factor. Roy should know that he lost an eye but not that it was never regenerated or what the eyepatch looks like.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Even if this is exactly what it appears to be, the situation isn't totally hopeless. Roy's right there in melee range, and he's got that new spell-disrupting feat. There isn't room for Xykon to fly up and blast down from above...he'll always be in melee range. As Soon proved, you can gently caress Xykon up if you keep him in melee.

Of course that also means you're leaving Haley and Elan to fight Redcloak, which is a tough sell. But Elan can melee too and if they hit Redcloak enough, especially if Haley holds her actions to shoot when Reddy's trying to cast, it can be done.

It's not likely mind you, but having Xykon step into melee range in a confined space pretty much the best case scenario for what's left of the Order. Especially if V can make it in sometime soon.

Indeed, we could have ourselves a classic meeting engagement, where more and more combatants arrive as time goes on. Like Nale's part of the team shows up and makes it a three way fight. Then V shows up to help the Order. Then Tarquin shows up, probably with his reinforcements. Something like that.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Apr 25, 2013

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Maybe they'll just be like "Look, not right now, okay?" and Xykon'll be all "Whatever" and they'll pass each other.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Xykon still does not likely know who he is. Just that he was that idiot that he killed and sent a video into worlds funiest protagonist deaths for.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Xykon still does not likely know who he is. Just that he was that idiot that he killed and sent a video into worlds funiest protagonist deaths for.

Yeah, last time he was "That guy! That guy who was upset about... something."

I liked this strip. You think nothing's going to happen (there's even a self-conscious joke about it), it captures Roy's emotional state perfectly, then BAM awesome twist at the end.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh, hey, V's coming to find the Order now as well. I wonder if he'll arrive in time to see this, and if Xykon will remember him (or her, whatever).

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
So much for a grand entrance that sways the favor into either direction.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

e X posted:

So much for a grand entrance that sways the favor into either direction.

But it is perfect for Xykon though. "Oh, these guys". The squabbling of the heros and the B-villains simply doesn't register with him because it's utterly irrelevant and I love it.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Alchenar posted:

But it is perfect for Xykon though. "Oh, these guys". The squabbling of the heros and the B-villains simply doesn't register with him because it's utterly irrelevant and I love it.

Yeah, it's basically perfect. Strolling in without a care in the world, like other people go shopping.

If it is him. The illusion idea would be right up Burlew's alley.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I am an IRL wizard and more than capable of deciphering these runes.

"no secret message" :v:

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I'm thinking TPK and Rich posting he got tired of OotS and wants to wrap it up this way.

Xykon wins. The end.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

My Lovely Horse posted:

Hiragana? I am terrible at it and cannot read it at all, but it looks familiar.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Business picked up quickly in this strip.

Is it possible that's one of the fake Xykons from Azure City? I've been going back and re-reading the entire series, but the site going down and finals stopped that, and I had just got through that segment. It's probably more likely an illusion, or actual No Fucks Given Xykon.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Alchenar posted:

That's the absolute best thing about Xykon. The strip needed some comedy; it was getting terribly depressing for a while there. :allears:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Goffer posted:

Hiragana? I am terrible at it and cannot read it at all, but it looks familiar.
Nothing quite so advanced, simply Miskatonic, the go-to font for your webcomics' magic language runes needs. 8-Bit Theater used to do stuff with it here and there, that's where I know it from. Nothing to actually read in there really, it's more like a symbol substitution cypher.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

My Lovely Horse posted:

Did a snake jump out and paralyze you yet?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Rodney the Piper posted:

Business picked up quickly in this strip.

Is it possible that's one of the fake Xykons from Azure City? I've been going back and re-reading the entire series, but the site going down and finals stopped that, and I had just got through that segment. It's probably more likely an illusion, or actual No Fucks Given Xykon.
All three got destroyed on-screen, so no.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It would be pretty funny if Xykon casually blasted them down right here and now.

Maybe V'll show up for the old sacrifice-redemption play and let the others escape?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

NihilCredo posted:

All three got destroyed on-screen, so no.

I couldn't remember if it showed the fates of all three; thanks.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
My first though is an illusion. The entire remaining party can perceive Xykon, and Phantasmal Killer is a phantasm spell, rather than a physical illusion, so that mean it would have to be a 9th level Weird spell, so it's entirely conceivable that Haley didn't catch the DC 34+ trap.

If it isn't an illusion, my guess is that Nale will interrupt the battle before it begins, and Xykon v Linear Guild will go down, what's left of the order will beeline for the gate, and end up having to fight a possessed V.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I have a funny feeling the illusion thing is a Rich fake-out. It's a waste of a great plot twist if it's just a trap, isnt it?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

sebmojo posted:

I have a funny feeling the illusion thing is a Rich fake-out. It's a waste of a great plot twist if it's just a trap, isnt it?

I think you're probably right. Rich is good at anticipating his fans' reactions, and really loves provoking the more grognardy ones. Faking-out a fake-out is exactly the sort of thing he'd do.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

poo poo status: real

I love Xykon. Happy to see him back! :allears:

I stand by my theory that Xykon will kill Tarquin ingloriously some day,robbing him of his dream to become a legend.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I feel like the story is building up towards Roy having a total mental breakdown and Elan taking over as the new leader.

Look at how Roy's been treating Elan and Belkar the last several dozen strips and how he's reacting to Durkon's death. Chances are also good that Roy will probably flip out at V whenever the Order finds out about the Familicide. He's always been a good tactician but he's seriously losing his touch as a leader.

This would also be parallel with Nale exhibiting serious incompetence as a leader and Tarquin taking over. We know that:

A. Tarquin's traits got split between Elan and Nale.
B. Tarquin is an excellent leader.
C. Nale is a lovely leader.
D. Therefore, Elan is...

On top of that, Tarquin has been incredibly eager to see what Elan can actually do in an adventure/combat situation, and that's going to pay off sooner or later. He already knows that Elan isn't as good as Tarquin is as a fighter (they already dueled once), and Roy is very obviously repressing Elan and wasting his capabilities - as this strip shows, and as all the previous strips in this arc has shown, where Roy's all just like "Stand there and sing and stay out of the way!"

Cauldron Moose
Dec 25, 2010

Actually a duck

Brannock posted:

-snip-
where Roy's all just like "Stand there and sing and stay out of the way!"

And in the current strip, he's not even letting Elan sing. Odds on that being the reason Haley didn't notice a trap?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I like this idea. It also ties in with a lot of other things in the story, and would be a great character building event for both Elan and Roy

We know Elan gets his own happy ending, and outside of maybe Haley and his mother, Roy is the single most important person to him in the world. His idol. A man who has absolutely no respect for him and treats him as a burden or worse even as he's finally beginning to come into his own. Roy coming around on Elan and Elan's capabilities is a necessary step, as is Elan proving himself more capable than Roy in something. Making Elan the leader of the Order, even if it is temporary, and making him a good leader would fulfill that.

Or just have his mysterious plan they've been building up offscreen save their asses.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

This is pretty much how I expected Xykon to turn up. A sudden, casual, "oh poo poo" moment is him exactly.

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!
I'm unironically rooting for Team Xykon, he's literally more likable than the Order.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

melon farmer posted:

I'm unironically rooting for Team Xykon, he's literally more likable than the Order.

He seriously considered forcing Redcloak to sail a boat built from Hobgoblin corpses.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

melon farmer posted:

More likable than the Order as a whole? I disagree. More likable than Roy? Hell yes. Roy's gone into complete rear end in a top hat mode, hasn't been particularly amusing for a while, and while he's not evil his meanness to Elan and such is really off-putting.

Unless by "likable" you mainly mean "funnier", in which case yeah Xykon's got nearly everyone beat.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Earnestly posted:

He seriously considered forcing Redcloak to sail a boat built from Hobgoblin corpses.

I don't know if I like Xykon better than I like the Order, but I like him better than Redcloak for sure.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I dunno, I've been sick of Elan for awhile now so I sympathize with Roy. He's that dude who thinks he's funny and does not shut the gently caress up ever

I suppose if everyone likes/hates different characters for different reasons yet keeps reading, thats a good sign :v:

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I've never liked Elan and fully approve of him getting bullied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Well, my ranking of the characters in this strip, from most to least favourite:

1) Belkar
2) Redcloak
3) Xykon
4) Haley
5) Roy