Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012

Captain Beans posted:

It's been too long since OG xcom for me, did primed 0 grenades only go off when they left the soldier? Functioning like a suicide grenade?

Did grenades even kill Chryssalids in the first game? I just remember sacrificing dudes with the HE explosive packs or rocket launchers to kill them.

I don't remember if the grenades killed the attacking cryssalid but they did prevent zombies by vaporizing the corpse. And yeah, grenades we're considered "thrown" when they hit the ground, be that throwing, dropping, or as part of a corpse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
From memory, basically the grenades would often be dropped when the soldier was turned into a zombie, explode and kill the chryssalid and turn the new zombie into a chryssalid with no movement. So at least you weren't multiplying the enemies. Plus you had an entire turn to deal with the new one.

They didn't prevent zombies as such because the xcom soldier was turned straight into a zombie, there was no corpse phase.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
If Beagle likes the first couple of months, maybe he should just turn on Marathon. As long as he can actually build satellites this time....

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

busb posted:

From memory, basically the grenades would often be dropped when the soldier was turned into a zombie, explode and kill the chryssalid and turn the new zombie into a chryssalid with no movement.

The important thing was actually that the grenade went off at the end of the turn, rather than happening immediately. So it would blow up, kill the chryssalid and the zombie (spawning another chryssalid), and then it would be X-Com's turn.

Reaction fire, on the other hand, was incredibly nasty. I'm sure everyone remembers that one time a chryssalid ran up and killed a guy, who turned into a zombie, who then got reaction-fired to death, which turned it into a chryssalid that ran up and killed the next guy and oh god it happened again :magical: and by the time it ends half your squad is dead and you still have a bunch of chryssalids running around.

Beagle's changes look really interesting, but I think the early game will become a lot easier simply due to the fact that you'll have 12 grenades for the first few missions.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 25, 2013

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

BurningStone posted:

If Beagle likes the first couple of months, maybe he should just turn on Marathon. As long as he can actually build satellites this time....

The difficulty drop-off in Marathon is even more pronounced than in the regular game. You have a couple more challenging months but you get high rank soldiers faster in comparison to alien progress and you still hit mid/end game weapons and armor in time to fight mid/end game enemies, so it's not really that much harder. I think the idea is he wants fighting sectopods and berserkers with plasma rifles and psychics to have the same tension as fighting sectoids and thin men with rookies.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
You're kind of a wussy if you use grenades for suicide bombings, even alien grenades.

Real men used SATCHEL CHARGES. :colbert:

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011

Static Equilibrium posted:

The difficulty drop-off in Marathon is even more pronounced than in the regular game. You have a couple more challenging months but you get high rank soldiers faster in comparison to alien progress and you still hit mid/end game weapons and armor in time to fight mid/end game enemies, so it's not really that much harder. I think the idea is he wants fighting sectopods and berserkers with plasma rifles and psychics to have the same tension as fighting sectoids and thin men with rookies.

Yes, but I bet he finds rebalancing things will take a lot longer than a few days. There are always surprise consequences.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Nastyman posted:

I need a name for my sniper, suggestions? :ghost:

Do you just have Zissou tote around a pistol?

This last page or two just made me want to get the elite soldier pack. I care enough about my soldiers in all my playthrough's enough that I'm willing to spend half an hour per mission using a small customization pack.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 25, 2013

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
PYF squaddie deaths.

A first mission on gas station. I'm inexperienced, so I make a mistake of trying to push via the pumps. A sectoid takes a reaction shot at me as I run away from a gas pump. Haha, you suck, you missed me. Instead, they hit the gas pump and it blew up killing the person who tried to make a run.

Another mission. There's a breach in the wall, that I'm overwatching with 3 people who are about to shred a half-health Muton should he come charging in. A new Heavy squaddie that I was hoping to train up is standing in front of the burning wall. On the Alien's turn, the wall burns down and breaks, exposing my Heavy, and she is immediately critted at point blank range by the Muton.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I ordered my newly minted Heavy to blast a hole in the wall with her rocket, with two other rookies hiding at (what I thought was) a safe distance behind a car. Rocket goes boom, car is too close, both rookies die turn 2 and my heavy panicks and shoots the third. Ironman? Not even a big deal, who needs do overs? :shepface:

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Took the Beagle route on my first play through and gave my heavy suppression. Run my assault past a gaping hole in the UFO, Outsider is spawned and moves out of the ship into the debris in front. Just had my heavy left and a poor shot at that. Had her use suppression to keep him pinned down for a flank next turn.. He gets, up turns around, and crits my heavy like a stone cold loving gangster killing her instantly. Of course that was my only heavy at the time and the rookie I took for experience got promoted to sniper. :xcom:

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I make all my recruits wear helmets, and only take off their helmets when they reach Sgt. or above.

Warhammer 40k style. They aren't allowed to have a face until they prove themselves, then I go and edit them and stuff.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Well, there was that time I was raiding a supply ship and decided to try to gun the aliens from the roof for novelty.

So I put my Col. sniper and Sq. heavy in position, blow a hole and proceed to pick the bastards one by one. Despite the complete lack of cover, I was doing fine until a fire blew up a huge hole right behind them, opening a line of sight on a sectopod and few heavy floaters. On the beginning of the alien turn, obviously.

XCOM. :unsmith:

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Fargin Icehole posted:

Do you just have Zissou tote around a pistol?

This last page or two just made me want to get the elite soldier pack. I care enough about my soldiers in all my playthrough's enough that I'm willing to spend half an hour per mission using a small customization pack.

There's a scatter laser in there, too. I guess it kind of blends in with Venkman though.

I'll probably try to roll up a new sniper now that I think about it. Hoping for a dude so I can have a full team of Bill Murrays. I'm playing impossible with random promotion stats so naturally she can't hit the broad side of a barn anyways.

Can random stats work in my favor by the way? Like, can I end up getting really good stats as well as poo poo ones? That's how I assumed it worked when I first saw the option, but from what I've heard after starting, the extra options may exclusively make the game harder. Not that it really feels harder than classic after finishing slingshot, getting lasers and firestorms and stabilizing my remaining council members. :v:

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!
My first rookie to get support took an overwatch reaction shot at a running alien while in cover behind a car.

He was a bad enough shot that he hit the car he was behind and blew it up killing himself and another rookie :v:

EDIT: Also a wild bug appears, whenever I shoot a berserker and agitate it, the games framerate plummets during its movement. The game runs flawlessly otherwise, but whenever I shoot a berserker and it does it's chest beating thing then moves, the frame just drops. Anyone else experienced this?

Execu-speak fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Apr 25, 2013

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Nastyman posted:

Can random stats work in my favor by the way? Like, can I end up getting really good stats as well as poo poo ones? That's how I assumed it worked when I first saw the option, but from what I've heard after starting, the extra options may exclusively make the game harder. Not that it really feels harder than classic after finishing slingshot, getting lasers and firestorms and stabilizing my remaining council members. :v:

For sure. It's possible to get monster heavies with aim stats on par with vanilla snipers. Random starting stats/random stat growth makes the game a lot easier if you hire/fire a lot to get good soldiers. Rookies with 85 base aim. :drat:

On the downside, you are likely to get at least one nugget on your first mission with <50 aim.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs

Tommofork posted:

For sure. It's possible to get monster heavies with aim stats on par with vanilla snipers. Random starting stats/random stat growth makes the game a lot easier if you hire/fire a lot to get good soldiers. Rookies with 85 base aim. :drat:

On the downside, you are likely to get at least one nugget on your first mission with <50 aim.

:stare: That certainly changes things. Maybe I'll try that terrible gimmick squad build I've been thinking about which, under normal circumstances, would be almost completely worthless.

Execu-speak posted:

EDIT: Also a wild bug appears, whenever I shoot a berserker and agitate it, the games framerate plummets during its movement. The game runs flawlessly otherwise, but whenever I shoot a berserker and it does it's chest beating thing then moves, the frame just drops. Anyone else experienced this?

This happens to me as well. If you have any ideas for how to diagnose it I can post logs, hw specs, whatever helps as soon as I get home from work.

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Apr 25, 2013

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Tommofork posted:

Sounds like we have our first candidate for stun gun duty!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

On the subject of favorite deaths, I once fired a danger zone rocket in the military base terror mission.

Did you know that all those tanks my squad were using for cover explode just like cars? Because I didn't. Literally, half the map exploded that turn.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs

Execu-speak posted:

My first rookie to get support took an overwatch reaction shot at a running alien while in cover behind a car.

He was a bad enough shot that he hit the car he was behind and blew it up killing himself and another rookie :v:

Last terror mission I did, the assault I had scouting 5 heavy floaters for my sniper got suppressed behind a van that subsequently got ignited by the plasma smashing into it. Being one who thanks god every day I didn't get exploded, I decide to temporarily abandon the van in favor of some slightly less volatile half-cover. I've got lighting reflexes, so it shouldn't be a problem, right?

Reaction fire goes off, misses the assault, hits the van, van explodes in my face, half an assault now sitting behind a Camry feeling exceptionally :downsgun:

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

I haven't got Slingshot yet because I don't like the idea of non-emergent story and characters, but I do quite like the look of the customization options. If you install the pack, do you have to do the missions? Do they replace normal council missions? Can you disable them entirely?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
You can ignore the missions entirely at no penalty. When you get the council mission in the first month, you get a choice of either doing a normal council mission or the slingshot missions. If you select normal mission, you'll never see the slingshot missions again in that game. If you select the slingshot missions, every council missions from then on will be a slingshot mission until you've completed all three before it reverts to normal missions again.

nacon
May 7, 2005

Gato posted:

I haven't got Slingshot yet because I don't like the idea of non-emergent story and characters, but I do quite like the look of the customization options. If you install the pack, do you have to do the missions? Do they replace normal council missions? Can you disable them entirely?

You can choose not to do them on the first council mission. It'll ask "Slingshot DLC or Normal Mission?" or something like that.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs

Gato posted:

Customization is a separate DLC, the elite soldier pack or something. Everything in slingshot is entirely optional, but once you start the first mission you won't get regular council missions until you complete all 3. Rewards sweet tech, tons of spaceship bits and a Chinese dude who can't be customized.

The slingshots replace the first 3 council missions. You can turn them down when they come up, but then you'll never see them again without restarting.

e: beaten like a rookie going toe to toe with a berserker.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Gato posted:

As I understand it, the council presents you the option of doing the Slingshot missions or a standard one.

I'm pretty much with you on the story bits; this game is at it's worst when it tries to tell a static story instead of letting you make your own.

Edit: VVVV That's fair; my only real complaints about the main game's "story" are the cutscenes with Bradford, Vahlen and Shen.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 25, 2013

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Keeshhound posted:

As I understand it, the council presents you the option of doing the Slingshot missions or a standard one.

I'm pretty much with you on the story bits; this game is at it's worst when it tries to tell a static story instead of letting you make your own.

I'd amend that to the game being at its worst when it tries to push a pre-defined character into the spotlight. The basic narrative of the Slingshot missions wasn't bad in itself, just the chinese dude that was attached to it because he wasn't one of "yours".

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Gato posted:

Do them once, then skip them from then on unless you really like them. They are completely optional, but you only get one chance to say yes or no,. Plus, they are absolute murder on higher difficulties.

The real prize of the DLC is more hats. :v:

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
For those that didn't get the notification, X-COM for Mac is out now, and is set at $50 currently - it is NOT on Steam.

quote:

Dear Mac Gamer,

Thank you for registering your interest in XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Elite Edition for the Mac!

We're pleased to announce that the game is now available for download from the Feral Store:

https://store.feralinteractive.com/en/x/mac-games/xcomenemyunknown/

Boxed copies of the game can also be ordered now but are not yet in stock.

To find out more about the game, visit the XCOM: Enemy Unknown minisite for gameplay details, trailers, screenshots, DLC information and system requirements.

Best Regards,

The Feral Interactive Team

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Phobophilia posted:

PYF squaddie deaths.

Two squaddies taking cover behind a car (I was new to the game), and another a short distance away in half cover. Alien on the rooftop of the building just above the team tosses a grenade at the rookie on their own, and kills them. The blast ignites the car nearby, which then explodes and kills the other two rookies. Three deaths via one grenade.

:xcom:

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

PYF squaddie deaths.

I had some bad luck on the Overseer mission and 2/6 of my squad were out injured. Day after the mission my psilab finishes and I send 3 vets for training, figuring the other two vets would get out of sickbay before anything happened. Nope, very next day I get a save the civilian mission and I get to send my remaining Col. Heavy and 5 squaddies.

The map has one main building with some civilians on top and out front, so I send the sniper on the roof to grab the civilians up there and advance the rest up along the building towards the main entrance. The past two missions I'd done were mostly filled with Thin Men so I wasn't too worried. I had the squaddies lined up in cover near the entrance and set to overwatch and sent my Col. Heavy in. I could see a civilian through a window within half my movement, so I figured I could dive through the window, save them, and have enough movement left to save another or possibly flee. So I dive through and find myself a few steps away from 4 mutons and 2 bersekers. I immediately dive back out the window and run past all the confused Squaddies hiding in the bushes. Then came the alien turn.

The squaddies were lined up in the following order: heavy, support 1, assault, support 2 and what happened is this:

1. Both berserkers charge out of the building and up to the squaddies
2. Squaddies take point blank reaction shots and miss every single one.
3. Berserker 1 hits the heavy squaddie, knocking him down to 2 hp.
4. Berserker 2 hits support 1, knocking him down to 2 hp.
5. Heavy panics at seeing support 1 get clobbered, starts calling for emergency evac and fires on support 1, killing him.
6. Assault starts to panic, shouting "this isn't right" and opens fire, murdering the heavy.
7. Support 2 starts to panic and does nothing.

Needless to say, the two remaining squaddies got pinned down and annihilated and I ended up having to finish the map with a Col. Heavy and Squaddie sniper... it took a while. But I will never forget my team of squaddies freaking out and killing each other in the first turn of combat.

Mondian fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 25, 2013

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Nastyman posted:

Customization is a separate DLC, the elite soldier pack or something. Everything in slingshot is entirely optional, but once you start the first mission you won't get regular council missions until you complete all 3. Rewards sweet tech, tons of spaceship bits and a Chinese dude who can't be customized.
Slingshot adds some new armor and helmets as well, not just the missions.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
I know i'm more than a little late to the party, but i just got my first victory! After a few attempts at classic that petered out around the third month or so, I decided to just plough through normal difficulty first.

Ended the game with no countries leaving, all funding, all research completed, and all soldiers safe (with the exception of one unlucky rookie on his first mission). What's the major differences between Normal and Classic, apart from you starting with the training school and no bullshit crit shots (with the exception of the final boss). It was definitely a breeze once I was on top of my satellites and started getting some well ranked soldiers.

Also I just remembered I have an extra steam key from my bioshock pre-order. Post if you grab it:

7TGVW-0DJVQ-85GJG

Kernel Monsoon fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 25, 2013

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Supernorn posted:

I know i'm more than a little late to the party, but i just got my first victory! After a few attempts at classic that petered out around the third month or so, I decided to just plough through normal difficulty first.

Ended the game with no countries leaving, all funding, all research completed, and all soldiers safe (with the exception of one unlucky rookie on his first mission). What's the major differences between Normal and Classic, apart from you starting with the training school and no bullshit crit shots (with the exception of the final boss). It was definitely a breeze once I was on top of my satellites and started getting some well ranked soldiers.

http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Difficulty_%28EU2012%29

I think this list is pretty accurate. The game gets more frustrating but it's just as much fun once you get rolling. Then you can move onto I/I. :unsmigghh:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Tommofork posted:

It really does make for some monster soldiers if you can survive the first month or two with your 50 aim guys. I have a support with 114 base aim, and I have her running a scope and a light plasma. If she can see it, she can hit it. I'll swap the gun for a regular plasma once I finish researching them, but for now she is guaranteed damage on anything. Sadly, my sniper only has 85 aim, so I need to build up a new one at some point.

waramp
Aug 20, 2004

HALO
TWENTY SIX

Supernorn posted:

Also I just remembered I have an extra steam key from my bioshock pre-order. Post if you grab it:

7TGVW-0DJVQ-85GJG

Just tried this, says it's a duplicate. Someone must have grabbed it.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Tommofork posted:

As a mission reward, I got a major sniper with an aim of 55 :xcom:
Even secret international agencies aren't free from the effects of nepotism, it seems.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I was having fun with this a bit before BIoshock came out, spent 8 hours in it. But one thing annoyed me, the aliens moving right after I spotted them. Kinda felt like the strategy was taken out of the game. Would the XCOM Toolboks mod be worth it to alleviate this? On a similar note, how well received is the Warspace Extension mod?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

animatorZed posted:

As a mission reward, I got a major sniper with an aim of 55 :xcom:
Even secret international agencies aren't free from the effects of nepotism, it seems.
I like to think the sniper was just lucky at the range and got thrown into the job.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I was having fun with this a bit before BIoshock came out, spent 8 hours in it. But one thing annoyed me, the aliens moving right after I spotted them. Kinda felt like the strategy was taken out of the game. Would the XCOM Toolboks mod be worth it to alleviate this? On a similar note, how well received is the Warspace Extension mod?
Unfortunately that feature hasn't been ported to the latest patch yet :smith:

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

If the aliens didn't get that free move the game would be a cakewalk even on Impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

There's really only two things I'd want modified but I'm unsure on the balance outcomes:
  • Floaters being able to fly into the air and drop down behind your team instantly flanking them
  • Thin Men being able to overwatch when dropped into a map

• Locked thread