Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

ToxicFrog posted:

I played this as well, but I can't remember what it was called. :(

(It wasn't Rengoku: Tower of Purgatory.)

PK3 files and SP and MP executables means Quake 3. If it's not Jedi Outcast or Jedi Academy, my next guess would be one of the Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force games - sci-fi setting, lots of glowing things, and both games have an RPG-style weapon and a grenade launcher that can also fire remote-detonated mines.

Not it either, never played that Star Trek game. Another level detail I remembered: In the level with the ship and courtyard with an atrium, in the area with like, a red forcefield, there's a well that leads down into blackness. If you fell down that well you were killed. But you could hide by crouching in the first foot of the well to kill others. Also, if you fell into one of the blue glowing energy pillars, you'd be killed as well.

These maps are bigger than what was possible with Jedi Knight II from what I see on YouTube, so perhaps it's not a Star Wars game. But I'm not sure what else it could be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
There was an A-Life game that had a thread for awhile in..GBS maybe? You had a big I guess bowl and various kinds of parasite things that bred and ate and so on, and you could drop them food. It was a pretty simple game, and there was a competition or sorts at one point between goon bred creatures. I distinctly recall the Master Race parasite thing being named Rainbow Death or something along those lines. Any ideas?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Also, in this game I'm thinking of in the other posts, I distinctly remember a custom map made by someone called "LICK." There were a few tongues and things built into the landscape, and 'LICK' built out of textures and materials in the level. Such a vague description I know, and I can't even figure out the genre. Weird memory.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
It was an rts that I played around the year 2000. I never got more than ten minutes in because I didn't know what I was supposed to be doing, because I played it at a friend's house and he wouldn't explain/didn't know either.

All I remember is that it starts in the desert and your ?base? had a gas-station sign that you could sell. I remember that because it was all I could figure out how to do.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Aha! I found the map I was thinking of with the energy beams and forcefields. The game WAS Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast.

The map is ffa_duelofthefates, it was a custom map. Found a screenshot too of the forcefield leading to the well I described. Got the forcefield color right :D

I believe I'm thinking of two separate games that I played around the same time when I was younger, like close to 10 years ago now. The LICK map described in my previous wasn't part of a Star Wars game, it was a custom level for a different game I can't figure out.. if I remember right there was a jetpack mod for this game that lots of people used.

http://jediknight3.filefront.com/file/LiCk_Me;4135 Welp it looks like it was JK2 as well.

VVVV Yep you're correct; most of the maps in Star Wars games were made from scenes in the films. Pretty embarrassing for me.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 22, 2013

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Michael Scott posted:

The map is ffa_duelofthefates, it was a custom map. Found a screenshot too of the forcefield leading to the well I described. Got the forcefield color right :D

What's great is that that is a scene from one of the Star Wars films, and you obviously don't remember that at all.
Or at least, it looks like where they killed Darth Maul to me.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
Fellas: Back when I was delinquent I played a social MMO like Second Life, but it was Korean (I think?) and it was in this small town.

No combat, no stats, just chatting..

There was like a hot springs or a river your avatar could bathe in???

Any ideas, guys?

Edit: it was Oz World. I used a "Google" to help me find it.

Neowyrm fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 27, 2013

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

I only remember playing the demo on a pc, back in the late 90s. The setting was a city of some sort in the future, the player controlled a flying car and could dock in different garages/buildings. I do not remember the goal or objectives of the game. Pretty sure the perspective was first person or third person.

Any idea?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Miguel Prado posted:

I only remember playing the demo on a pc, back in the late 90s. The setting was a city of some sort in the future, the player controlled a flying car and could dock in different garages/buildings. I do not remember the goal or objectives of the game. Pretty sure the perspective was first person or third person.

Any idea?

Is it Quarantine? I remember playing that game as a kid in the nineties.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Phlegmish posted:

Or Quarantine 2, Road Warrior; loved that game.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

No :(. The graphics were not as cartoony. Full on 3D, dark and dystopian city. When you docked in a garage the process was automated. Sorry, I wish I remembered more, thank you for your suggestion though!

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Miguel Prado posted:

No :(. The graphics were not as cartoony. Full on 3D, dark and dystopian city. When you docked in a garage the process was automated. Sorry, I wish I remembered more, thank you for your suggestion though!

Kind of hard to guess if you're not sure if it was first or third person. Burn: Cycle has both though. There's bad 1st person point and click action, follow by third person FMV action around dystopian future buildings. Occasionally you get into a hover car and have to wrestle its interface to fly from location to location.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldaf9dC2Cys

Or maybe it's the Blade Runner video game? There's some flying around and visiting dark future locations there too. I'm not sure if you control the flying car there directly.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Apr 22, 2013

Cirrial
Oct 24, 2012

Forgedbow posted:

Sorry, nope. Same sense of alien strangeness and isolation I think, different everything else.

Couple more things I remember. The two protaganists start in different isolated locations on the planet, though they do talk to each other by radio a little. One of them starts on a really small island, and ends up taking a railcar thing up to a floating platform, and there were several other platforms you could take railcars to. The platforms have buildings, but getting in requires puzzles, and there was alien script everywhere and on everything. I didn't get very far past that.

Forgive me if this has already been answered, but it isn't Schizm, is it?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Miguel Prado posted:

Any idea?

Hardwar?

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Yes! Thank you :)

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Samfucius posted:

It was an rts that I played around the year 2000. I never got more than ten minutes in because I didn't know what I was supposed to be doing, because I played it at a friend's house and he wouldn't explain/didn't know either.

All I remember is that it starts in the desert and your ?base? had a gas-station sign that you could sell. I remember that because it was all I could figure out how to do.

LED wars?

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

Synnr posted:

There was an A-Life game that had a thread for awhile in..GBS maybe? You had a big I guess bowl and various kinds of parasite things that bred and ate and so on, and you could drop them food. It was a pretty simple game, and there was a competition or sorts at one point between goon bred creatures. I distinctly recall the Master Race parasite thing being named Rainbow Death or something along those lines. Any ideas?

I believe that was Darwin Pond. Great game.

EDIT: I take that back. It was GenePool from the same person.

Pogonodon fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 24, 2013

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Samfucius posted:

Maybe KKND?

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

ZoltarOmniscient posted:

There was a JRPG for the PSP that I rented once, I can only remember a couple of minor details about the setting. The world was divided into three realms connected by a tower, and you could start your story in any of them. The top realm was very magic centric, with you playing as an angelic being, and the middle realm had an almost steampunk feel to it, with a strong focus on characters with powered armor. I don't remember what the bottom realm was like, or if there even was one at all.

This sounds cool, so I am bumping it. I've looked through various JRPGs on the PSP, and I don't *think* it's Riviera: The Promised Land, but it could be.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

This sounds cool, so I am bumping it. I've looked through various JRPGs on the PSP, and I don't *think* it's Riviera: The Promised Land, but it could be.

It's not. Riviera doesn't let you choose where you start the game, and there's no tower connecting the different levels.

Noun Verber
Oct 12, 2006

Cool party, guys.

Miguel Prado posted:

Shot in the dark but it wasn't Robot City was it? I seem to remember hovercars in this game.

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar

Cirrial posted:

Forgive me if this has already been answered, but it isn't Schizm, is it?
Yes! Thank you!

LIMBO KING
May 3, 2006

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

It sounds like Aedis Eclipse.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

No, the point of view was a little lower than that. The desert looks right, though. Though to be honest I probably wouldn't know unless I was looking directly at a screencap of that drat gas station sign.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Floppy Dingo posted:

I remember back some time in the nineties playing a robot side-scroller game where you could pick up parts of your defeated foes and use them instead, but I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called. I -think- it was for the genesis.

Just found it. Cyborg Justice - and man, this game was pure nostalgia. It's terrible.

We used to call it Robopimp because of the strange strut the hero/PC does.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Samfucius posted:

No, the point of view was a little lower than that. The desert looks right, though. Though to be honest I probably wouldn't know unless I was looking directly at a screencap of that drat gas station sign.

Are you sure it wasn't LED wars then? It's a bit more zoomed in and I do remember something about a gas station sign, I played the demo a lot with a friend.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
This is a long shot but all I can remember is a Mac shareware game from the mid to late 90s with pre-rendered 3d sprites, top down level-based asteroids-like gameplay, upgrades or power ups and most importantly traffic cones in space.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Samfucius posted:

Could it be Z or Metal Fatigue?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Al! posted:

This is a long shot but all I can remember is a Mac shareware game from the mid to late 90s with pre-rendered 3d sprites, top down level-based asteroids-like gameplay, upgrades or power ups and most importantly traffic cones in space.

I'm going to bet Maelstrom is what you're thinking of.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Genpei Turtle posted:

I'm going to bet Maelstrom is what you're thinking of.

I dont think it's Maelstrom. I'm remembering some other details now. There were crates you would shoot and maybe you were trying to make deliveries before your fuel ran out?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Neo Rasa posted:

Could it be Z or Metal Fatigue?

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh, I hate you for reminding me that Z exists. Now I'm going to end up tracking down a copy and trying to get it to work on Windows 7. I have enough of a gaming backlog; I don't need this! :argh:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

What was that top-down Mac game where you controlled a thing with your mouse, but it had inertia, so you had to quickly collect diamonds around the screen without letting it drift into enemies or obstacles? I played this on an Atari ST through an emulator, so I'm pretty sure the game was really drat old and it might have been whatever that 4-colour mode with the blue and purple colour scheme is. Also I feel like it was probably a genre in itself, or it should have been because it was pretty good!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

The DOS shareware version I played in 1996 was called XQuest2. Ring any bells?

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Pogonodon posted:

I believe that was Darwin Pond. Great game.

EDIT: I take that back. It was GenePool from the same person.

You are correct sir, it was GenePool!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

scamtank posted:

The DOS shareware version I played in 1996 was called XQuest2. Ring any bells?

That does look similarish, especially the spiky obstacles. The YouTube video I'm looking at seems a lot faster paced, and I'm not totally sure you could fire bullets in my version. It's sort of hard to tell because a lot of the game was about the feel, the thing you controlled felt pretty heavy. Maybe the emulator ran slow though :shobon:

e- I guess it was some variation of Crystal Quest, cheers!

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 26, 2013

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

Al! posted:

Was it Lunatic Fringe by chance?

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

drat, not LED or Metal Fatigue. I can't seem to find any good screenshots of z.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Samfucius posted:

drat, not LED or Metal Fatigue. I can't seem to find any good screenshots of z.
I don't think selling a gas station sign is part of Z. Z got an iOS port, so you can find screenshots here.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Hmmm, maybe it is just lost to the ages.

I am coming more and more to the conclusion that because the gas station thing is literally the only part of the game I ever saw, I would have to find a screenshot of it specifically. I mean, it is the very first screen of the game, but drat I do not expect to find it based on that.

Thanks for the help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

Samfucius posted:

Hmmm, maybe it is just lost to the ages.

I am coming more and more to the conclusion that because the gas station thing is literally the only part of the game I ever saw, I would have to find a screenshot of it specifically. I mean, it is the very first screen of the game, but drat I do not expect to find it based on that.

Thanks for the help.

My guess would be warzone 2100, it has a gas station thing and the first level is somewhat deserty.

Here's the only screenshot that has a gas station with sign in it that I could find (most of them I saw were reskinned in some way)
the gas station is in the middle of the right-hand side of the screenshot getting blown up.

• Locked thread