Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Mackenzie Gray has been rumoured to be cameoing as Luther in Man of Steel, but his character hasn't been confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I honestly think they should just get Clancy Brown to shave his head/face and roll with it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It doesn't matter how perfect that would be, no one would have the balls to do it.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet
I was thinking Bryan Cranston. :rock:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

aaaaand that's why. Everyone has their own version of a bald, charismatic guy who can play Lex and odds are they're going to be someone hipper and higher-profile than the dude who perfected Lex nearly 20 years ago.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What's Idris Elba up to? He could play a super-serious man with one crazy button (Superman).

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet
Idris Elba is black. Lex Luther is white.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Race honestly isn't a big deal when it comes to Lex. A black Luthor would be totally cool.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Daredevil had a lot of problems, but Michael Clarke Duncan as a black Kingpin was not one of them.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

mind the walrus posted:

aaaaand that's why. Everyone has their own version of a bald, charismatic guy who can play Lex and odds are they're going to be someone hipper and higher-profile than the dude who perfected Lex nearly 20 years ago.

Wait, what? Gene Hackman?

Hackman's Lex was way too goofy to be the 'perfect' one IMO. Although that may partially be a case of the overall movies' tone effecting his presentation.

Spacey played the same character in Returns, but he did it dry and sarcastic, and I thought it came out much better that way (the rest of the movie was a mess, though).

Now, imagine Spacey as CEO Lex in a movie with the tone that Man of Steel seems to have... :flashfap:

VVV: Holy poo poo I'm having trouble with S:TAS being two decades old. But yeah, I can't argue with the TAS Luthor being awesome.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 25, 2013

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Everyone imagined Spacey as CEO Luthor, that's why it was so disappointing that he was the Silver Age "crazy scientist" Luthor.

I was referring to Clancy Brown actually. Like it or not we're approaching the 20 year mark for Superman: TAS, and Clancy Brown consistently killed it as Lex.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Devour posted:

Perry White is usually white too, but now he's black in Man of Steel.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Devour posted:

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
Said this upthread a bit, but I think Michael Emerson could pull off someone as brilliant and psychologically damaged as Lex Luthor, having done so once already.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
He's a great actor, but he's more of a creepy guy, whereas I imagine Luthor being slightly more alpha male.

Yul Brenner would've not only been a great Lex but he could've been a great Professor Xavier.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 26, 2013

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

That is totally the Rock.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
Reading through Wikipedia, I didn't realize how many versions of Lex were out there. I'd prefer a Lex closer in age to Clark personally, especially if they went with the self made billionaire version.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Zachary Quinto as Lex Luthor

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Mahoning posted:

Superman 2: Spock's Brain

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Mahoning posted:

Have him also be Dr. Leo Quintum and do a live action All Star Superman story, for complete nerd breakdown theorycrafting.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Just shave Javier Bardem. There's your Luthor.

Incendiary Pig
Nov 3, 2006

Totally out of control
I don't know why but I really want Patrick Wilson to be Luthor.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Luthor casting choices are like snowflakes... no two are alike.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
So as a non-Superman fan, is there any really good like animated films or comic books I should catch up on? I've read Red Son, and that's about it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jefferoo posted:

So as a non-Superman fan, is there any really good like animated films or comic books I should catch up on? I've read Red Son, and that's about it.

Superman TAS, Superman Birthright, and All Star Superman.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Caveats:

Superman is slightly different in every incarnation. Don't worry about which is the "correct" version. They all are. That said bobkatt is right, although be warned that Superman TAS does have some very shaky episodes to wade through. I wouldn't bother with the All-Star Superman animated movie either, it's a super-condensed version of the comic and loses some really great stuff in the translation.

Even though I detest Geoff Johns, Superman: Secret Origins or the one that he did about 8 years ago is good too, especially going into Man of Steel. Also the stand-alone story "What's so funny about Truth, Justice, and the American Way?" which was adapted into "Superman vs. The Elite." They're both good, but in slightly different ways.

I'll recommend a more obscure one though: Superman: Secret Identity by Kurt Busiek

It's about a non-descript boy with black hair in central Kansas whose parents, the Kents, had a sense of humor and named him Clark. After 16 years of constant Superboy jokes and unwanted Superman merchandise gifts from relatives, he wakes up one day on a camping trip to find that he does in fact have Superman's powers.

The four chapter series is then about different stages of his life and how he uses Superman's powers. He does decide to help people, and to wear the suit, but for different reasons than you might think. It's hardly a life-changing work or a definitive work on Superman, but it's a great way to access the more human elements of the character in a narrative that is both unpredictable and more immediately accessible to people who aren't as familiar with the "myth" aspect of Superman.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I was talking about the comic not the movie. I have not seen All Star Superman movie since I heard they cut a lot from it. Also most of Geoff Johns Superman is good.

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

As All Star Superman is frequently mentioned in this thread, I need to recommend Grant Morrison's Supergods, which isn't a comic book but a history of the superhero genre with frequent references to the themes and evolution of Superman.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

If you like superheroes in general, I'd look at Season Two of the Justice League cartoon and the first season of JLU (the Cadmus storyline). Both are way better than you'd ever expect and features a ton of great Superman moments.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

If you like superheroes in general, I'd look at Season Two of the Justice League cartoon and the first season of JLU (the Cadmus storyline). Both are way better than you'd ever expect and features a ton of great Superman moments.

I would say you would need to see some Superman TAS before you watch JLU. A lot of what makes some moments incredible are due to the backstory.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I absolutely disagree, especially with episodes like "A Better World." Incidentally you can find those episodes online with very little effort. Knowing the backstory on certain elements definitely helps, especially given S:TAS's finale, but even without it it's not hard to understand character motivation or actions.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

I absolutely disagree, especially with episodes like "A Better World." Incidentally you can find those episodes online with very little effort. Knowing the backstory on certain elements definitely helps, especially given S:TAS's finale, but even without it it's not hard to understand character motivation or actions.

That would be Justice League not JLU. There is the whole Luthor/Brainiac thing and Turpin

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I was thinking Professor Hamilton's association with Cadmus. Even then Luthorac comes out of left field unless S:TAS was really really fresh in your mind, and as much as it pains me to say so Dan Turpin is more of a trivia note by the time Justice League really gets going.

E-- it's late and I suck at tags.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 26, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

I was thinking Professor Hamilton's association with Cadmus. Even then Luthorac comes out of left field unless S:TAS was really really fresh in your mind, and as much as it pains me to say so Dan Turpin is more of a trivia note by the time Justice League really gets going.

I always saw Dan Turpin as important as he may not be mentioned by name but when dealing with Darkseid he always goes nuts. Then again I am a huge Superman TAS fan and its well worth watching.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 26, 2013

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Even then you can watch the season two premiere of Justice League "Twilight" and all you need to know is that Brainiac and Darkseid are two enemies Superman absolutely does not gently caress around with. It also features one of my favorite "shut the gently caress ups" I've heard from Superman, delivered in perfect understated farmboy rage-- "You know something Bruce. You're not always right

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

All Star Superman is good, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone just trying to get a hold of who Superman is. It's a very different Superman story that harkens back to a very different kind of comic. It's a great read if you're already familiar with the history of the character, but for someone trying to get into the character it should be noted that it's very much a different animal.

Personally if I was going to recommend something as a primer for people it would be Birthright and the animated series from the '90s. I would recommend not going to something like All Star or Secret Origin right off the bat. Actually I wouldn't recommend going to Secret Origin at all.

X-O fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 26, 2013

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Here is a mostly pretty good list of top Superman stories. Not everything on the list is in print or easy to find, but most things in the top 20 should be easy to find collected on Amazon or from your local comic book shop. Just read the descriptions and pick the ones that seem interesting to you, I'd say. (Don't actually get #75 or #59, though.)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

How could I forget. For the Man Who Has Everything by Alan Moore is a fun self-contained story that requires only a basic knowledge of the Superman mythos (Krypton, Fortress of Solitude, etc.) to enjoy. It was also adapted really well into an episode of JLU.

If you're into advanced Superman, check out "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" by Alan Moore. It's not terribly complex, but it's definitely meant to be the capstone to the Superman of the 50s-early 80s, and it reads as such.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I think <buzzworthy television actor> should be Lex Luthor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
They should just let Guy Pearce go for the hat-trick in rich, science fiction douchebags and shave his head.

• Locked thread