Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'm guessing the free game promotion only works if you get hard copies of Mystery Dungeon or Luigi's Mansion? It would explain why the latter suddenly became so bloody hard to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

Oxxidation posted:

I'm guessing the free game promotion only works if you get hard copies of Mystery Dungeon or Luigi's Mansion? It would explain why the latter suddenly became so bloody hard to find.
Nope, I picked it up on the eShop and got the promotion.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

You can use either. Luigi's Mansion probably became rare because it's a popular title and Nintendo didn't print enough copies, possibly to encourage eShop sales.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Detective No. 27 posted:

I wish there was a way to remap buttons in Virtual Console games. Playing Super Mario Bros is kinda uncomfortable on 3DS with how the A and B buttons are positioned. It would be much more enjoyable if I could use Y to run and B to jump like in SMW.

If it's any consolation, the X button will also act like B with NES VC games. The grip might be a bit uncomfortable, but the orientation is more like the Y-B on a SNES controller.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

You can use either. Luigi's Mansion probably became rare because it's a popular title and Nintendo didn't print enough copies, possibly to encourage eShop sales.

I don't think Nintendo would deliberately cut the supply of their own product just to get people to buy it a different way. Most likely they just assumed that either it wouldn't be as popular as it was or that more people would use the eShop in the first place. Intentionally restricting your own sales like that is a monumentally stupid business move.

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012
I didn't even know Mystery Dungeon was on the eShop until I looked in this thread just now.

Goddamn, the organization of their online store is terrible. Mystery Dungeon shows up under "3D Games" and "New Arrivals" but not under "Now Available in the Nintendo eShop."

Although how is "Now Available in the Nintendo eShop" at all a meaningful category? Doesn't that properly apply to everything being sold?

Also, searching for "pokemon" brings up HarmoKnight as the top result, which makes sense because "pokemon" is a substring of "HarmoKnight." Actually, Pokemon is in the description because it's a gamefreak game and they're namedropping, but they should probably prioritize matches in titles over matches in descriptions.

McGlu
Apr 10, 2013

kimpira posted:

Goddamn, the organization of their online store is terrible.

Couldn't agree more. I hate that they are last place, IMO, in the online world. I pray that they get a clue soon.

DSi was even worse.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

kimpira posted:

Goddamn, the organization of their online store is terrible. Mystery Dungeon shows up under "3D Games" and "New Arrivals" but not under "Now Available in the Nintendo eShop."

Although how is "Now Available in the Nintendo eShop" at all a meaningful category? Doesn't that properly apply to everything being sold?

I believe it's for titles that were previously released in retail but were more recently made available for download on the eShop. Brand new titles or day & date eShop/retail titles wouldn't apply.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, its mainly full of launch titles that were previously not available for download. Your Ghost Recon Shadow Wars and Pilotwings and etc. On that note, they're charging full retail for Pilotwings jesus christ.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
In the EU shop that category is just called "download versions" and it makes a hell of a lot more sense. DSiWare, Virtual Console and eShop exclusive all have their own clearly labelled categories in the EU version of the eShop.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

kimpira posted:

Also, searching for "pokemon" brings up HarmoKnight as the top result, which makes sense because "pokemon" is a substring of "HarmoKnight." Actually, Pokemon is in the description because it's a gamefreak game and they're namedropping, but they should probably prioritize matches in titles over matches in descriptions.

To be fair, HarmoKnight does have some pokemon songs in it so it's a reasonable thing to mention in the description.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I took advantage of the free game promotion and I'm downloading Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask. This is my first Layton game. Should I play the older ones first? How many even are there.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I took advantage of the free game promotion and I'm downloading Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask. This is my first Layton game. Should I play the older ones first? How many even are there.

I think there's five or six at this point, and there's little to no continuity between titles. Basically you just have to know that Layton lives in a magical world where everything is always puzzles.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Miracle Mask is I think the 4th released in the west. There's no major connectivity between the games so you should be fine. I'm playing Miracle Mask now and it's the first I've played since Curious Village because dear god did NOE price gouge on that series when the first game exploded.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

njsykora posted:

Miracle Mask is I think the 4th released in the west. There's no major connectivity between the games so you should be fine. I'm playing Miracle Mask now and it's the first I've played since Curious Village because dear god did NOE price gouge on that series when the first game exploded.

Fifth. Curious Village, Diabolical Box, Unwound Future, Last Specter, Miracle Mask. There is an overarching story, but it's basically like Star Wars. Curious Village was the first one released, but it's actually the fourth game. Layton 1-2-3 form a cohesive arc, and 4-5-6 will be the "prequel" arc. They are all more or less standalone, though. There will just be a couple characters you won't recognize if you jump right into, say, Diabolical Box or Unwound Future.

E: Oh right, the movie (Eternal Diva) takes place between 4 and 5, but I don't think it introduces anything important. It's a good movie though and you should totally watch it. :3:

E2: Basically, if you want the full story, in order:

Last Specter (DS) - Eternal Diva (Movie) - Miracle Mask (3DS) - Azran Legacies (3DS, not out yet) - Curious Village (DS) - Diabolical Box (DS) - Unwound Future (DS)

Artix fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 27, 2013

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

If you give a drat about the Layton stories, make sure to watch the anime ("...And the Eternal Diva") between parts 4 and 5 (that's Last Specter/Miracle Mask, so the prequel trilogy) as well.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 27, 2013

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There's an anime series? I thought they only did Eternal Diva.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

I've had my 3ds for a few days and had no problems with the wifi on it until tonight. Now it's basically hanging whenever I try to connect to the eshop or download anything. Did I break my new toy already?

nevermind I figured out what the problem was.

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 27, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Where the hell is Professor Layton x Ace Attorney? They really need to get that game out before the new Layton/AA games drop.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Detective No. 27 posted:

There's an anime series? I thought they only did Eternal Diva.

Between games 4 and 5. There is only the one movie, my point is that The Eternal Diva is part 4.5, storywise.

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012

Chic Trombone posted:

To be fair, HarmoKnight does have some pokemon songs in it so it's a reasonable thing to mention in the description.

That would actually be a reasonable thing to mention in the description, but they oddly don't. Here are the two mentions of pokeymans from the eShop description of HarmoKnight:

Gamefreak posted:

GAME FREAK inc. brings all of the polish players have come to expect from their Pokémon franchise to a brand-new action-packed rhythm game!

and

Gamefreak posted:

A new rhythm-based action game from the makers of Pokémon!

It's weird that they would leave that out, because it's actually a legitimate selling point.

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice
I know I'm a bit late on this, but is the Etrian Odyssey IV demo very representative of the full game, at least at a basic level? I understand the full game is probably going to be much, much harder. It seemed pretty cool.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

Basically you just have to know that Layton lives in a magical world where everything is always puzzles.

Cool, same.

Artix posted:

Basically, if you want the full story, in order:

Last Specter (DS) - Eternal Diva (Movie) - Miracle Mask (3DS) - Azran Legacies (3DS, not out yet) - Curious Village (DS) - Diabolical Box (DS) - Unwound Future (DS)

Duly noted!

Thanks, y'all, I will jump right in ~at my leisure~ (and make some time to familiarize myself with the ones I haven't played, also at my leisure)!

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Azraden posted:

I know I'm a bit late on this, but is the Etrian Odyssey IV demo very representative of the full game, at least at a basic level? I understand the full game is probably going to be much, much harder. It seemed pretty cool.

Pretty much. Three more character classes will eventually become available as you advance the plot, and more skills will be unlocked as you gain levels, so your options on how to build a party will only expand as you keep playing. You can import your saved game from the demo into the full game, too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Azraden posted:

It is literally a chunk of the full game, yes. You can even carry your save data right over.

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice
Cool, thanks. I know it isn't the same company, but after the MH3U demo I've been wary if demos represent the full game well. (Luckily the full game of MH3U was awesome anyways)

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

So I heard about being able to change my province to Alberta to pay less tax in the eShop. How do I do this? Will I get in trouble for setting my province to Alberta yet still paying out of a bank account from New Brunswick (Can they even check where I live??)?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I got the Fire Emblem 3DS last week, and out of the box the top clamshell slides back and forth just a millimeter-- does anybody else's 3DS do this? It just clicks back and forth almost like a typewriter does. It doesn't seem to negatively affect the console in anyway, just wondering if this is a sign of bad things to come.

It's the small console, not the XL.

Thanks.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 27, 2013

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

New Ace Attorney 5 stuff from Japan, gameplay begins at 10:54

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Oxxidation posted:

Basically you just have to know that Layton lives in a magical world where everything is always puzzles.

This video accurately depicts how the Professor Layton universe operates:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRlZyZEHKBQ

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.

God help me I am going to buy a console for this and LttP 2.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
Anybody have any tips to clear dust from the corners of the bottom screen? It seems tough because its raised, I can't get most of it no matter what I do (short of using a sharper thing, which would suck). Any tips besides "shoulda got a screen protector dude"? I have an obsession with cleaning my handheld device's screen weekly because my PSP's triangle button eventually poo poo the bed because of what I assumed to be dust buildup within the system (seriously, that thing had a loooot of crevices that were very dust friendly).

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice

For some reason I just love that hair twirling animation. :allears:

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

The names for potential DQM2 remakes have been trademarked in Japan. Two more games that won't be released in the west, huzzah! :suicide:

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

thuly posted:

God help me I am going to buy a console for this and LttP 2.

Hope they just call it Zelda IV.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Wark Say posted:

In the last couple of days, I decided to finally bite the bullet, fill my information and get Super Mario 3D Land as a freebie. I've been playing it for 3 hours and... is the constant, goofy smile affixed to my face some sort of hint? Why am I enjoying this game so drat much? This is not the reason why I purchased this handheld!

Oh, well. :3:

And.

Indeed.

Mario 3d is just pure platforming goodness, just mechanically and level-wise. I heard something about Nintendo putting the better team on this one as apposed to NSMB2 and it really really shows.

It also has my favorite ending to a Mario game ever.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Hope they just call it Zelda IV.
It's actually going to be called Link to the Future, and in addition to the already announced feature Sahasrala's newly invented Chariot of Time will play a big role.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I'd be okay with "Zelda IV" if it served as an acknowledgement that Link's Awakening was basically Zelda III.V.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Pope Guilty posted:

I'd be okay with "Zelda IV" if it served as an acknowledgement that Link's Awakening was basically Zelda III.V.

Oh yeah, Link's Awakening was a sequel to Link to the Past wasn't it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timid
Dec 13, 2012

Just a silly question but, is there a reason that the new Animal Crossing is priced at 35 instead of the usual $40?

• Locked thread