Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda

Flumbooze posted:

Because Carbine gives actual examples of what they've got and demonstrate it. That's the only reason I trust them. They provide us with (mostly) facts. And the fact the press (and even minor sites) are excited and happy with the game.

^^ this, although I couldn't care less what the press and sites think about the game. God knows they've led us totally wrong often enough.

Generally during the marketing of an MMORPG, we've seen a lot of "there will be plenty to do at end game involving crafting, pvp, raids, and stuff". Most companies have been very, very careful to not go into specifics, because they know drat good and well they're going to launch their game with a really impressive low level game, a decent mid level game, and an underdeveloped high level/end game because they're silly enough to still think that the majority of their playerbase is going to relax, take their time, and explore everything on the way up.

While some do that, sure, most don't. They haul rear end straight for high level and shinies. Seeing Wildstar acknowledge that up front, and give concrete examples of how they're planning on handling that tendency, is encouraging.

That being said, I have virtually no faith in the MMO industry as a whole, so I'm not really holding my breath on it. I've a massive EQ fan and even EQNext I'm incredibly skeptical of, despite what (little) they've said so far sounding pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Flarestar posted:

That being said, I have virtually no faith in the MMO industry as a whole

Yeah, as well as the gaming "media"/"press". It's utterly foolish to take anyone's word for this stuff.

However, no other MMO looks good or tolerable in the future except for maybe this one so I'm hopeful. I really hope I get to play it soon so I can see if my worries are founded or unfounded. No blog is going to convince me, gotta see it in action.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
I'm being very hesitant as well until they release some more actual game-play footage. I hope it's everything I'm imagining it to be, but that's just what it is, imagination.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Lyer posted:

Have they commented on what end game content there is to do for people who don't want to raid? Farming 5 man dungeons aside.

Regularly updated story content (ideally monthly or faster) for the PvE solo player, Warplots/Arenas/Battlegrounds for the PvP player, Raids/Dungeons for the PvE group player. That should hopefully cover everyone in the endgame crowd, I think.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Pryce posted:

Regularly updated story content (ideally monthly or faster) for the PvE solo player, Warplots/Arenas/Battlegrounds for the PvP player, Raids/Dungeons for the PvE group player. That should hopefully cover everyone in the endgame crowd, I think.

A billion pretty decorations for my amazing electronic internet house?! (note: housing is my endgame)

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
This thread should be called Wildstar: Cautious Optimism Edition

HelloPlatypus
Apr 2, 2010

GIRL
SHE'S A GIRL
OBVIOUSLY JUST LOOK AT HER

Flumbooze posted:

Because Carbine gives actual examples of what they've got and demonstrate it. That's the only reason I trust them. They provide us with (mostly) facts. And the fact the press (and even minor sites) are excited and happy with the game.

The less there is to do at endgame the more devs like to hype up the leveling experience to try and compensate. At least I feel that's what GW2 did. I mean the leveling was fun and all but... yeah.

Also press/websites being excited doesn't mean poo poo.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

CLAM DOWN posted:

Why do you have more faith in Carbine's "promises" than other games? What makes them more trustworthy and reliable? It's silly to think they're more infallible or something, or more trustworthy than previous game devs were (WAR/GW2/SWTOR come to mind for me). I want this to be good just as much as you do, I think it's time to be wary though.
Disney. It's gotta be the Disney.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles
99% sure this is the last Exile race

White rastafarian technozombies?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I've been burned by too many MMO's to get optimistic. While it looks cool, I'll wait until I get into beta to see how it is and what the payment plan is.

Mr. Tetsuo
Jun 6, 2011

And just once, before I die, I'd like to be Supreme Overlord of Earth. So rebel, my little ones, and conquer the planet!

Tagichatn posted:

I've been burned by too many MMO's to get optimistic. While it looks cool, I'll wait until I get into beta to see how it is and what the payment plan is.

My feelings exactly. Besides, what I've heard so far is that it's going to be pretty hard to get anywhere in the game without a lot of time investment, so it might not be a good choice for this 36 year old to get into.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

Pawl posted:

99% sure this is the last Exile race

White rastafarian technozombies?

Zombie Cyborgs, nice....where did you pull these from?

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles
They're from the official website in the new zone preview.

roastpork
Oct 13, 2005

My underbelly is rock hard. It can go all night.
I really, truly want to be excited for Wildstar. Each new bit of information just makes it sound like it'll be great! It'll build off of things that were poorly implemented in so many other MMOs! But then I remember the other MMOs that I wanted to be excited about, like The Secret World and SWTOR, that sounded like they could change things and be really awesome.

Now I just experience severe moodswings and wary hope for Wildstar. :saddowns:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
I dunno, Wildstar seems to be doing a lot of things right. Like, it's still going to be an MMO, but if I get Vanilla WoW levels of enjoyment out of it, I'll be very happy.

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.
I kind of feel like they are giving us IV drippings of information when they have SO much to release. We are missing classes and races. That is fine, there are only a few left. But look at all the zones they haven't released! When is this slotted to come out? They would have to release a view of a new zone almost every week at some point.

Really, I am just impatient. :colbert:

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Was this posted yet?

http://wildstar-central.com/index.php?threads/wsc-exclusive-a-tale-of-two-eu-arkships.2815/#post-58854

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Bardlebee posted:

I kind of feel like they are giving us IV drippings of information when they have SO much to release. We are missing classes and races. That is fine, there are only a few left. But look at all the zones they haven't released! When is this slotted to come out? They would have to release a view of a new zone almost every week at some point.

Really, I am just impatient. :colbert:

I'm pretty sure the release window is basically just "2013, hopefully" so they can go very slowly. :v:

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013

Seems like they're happy with what they saw. I for one can't wait until the next site update and a new video.

Just wondering, what em you all think of the flying mounts? I think it could work if the world's designed for it.

Edit: also, I'm pretty sure the last Dominion race is human, as it clearly says Human (Exiles) in the description of the human race, while it doesn't with other races.

Spider2414 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 29, 2013

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Flumbooze posted:

Edit: also, I'm pretty sure the last Dominion race is human, as it clearly says Human (Exiles) in the description of the human race, while it doesn't with other races.

I thought Cassians were also technically humans, which would by why it's written that way

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013

Phoix posted:

I'm pretty sure the release window is basically just "2013, hopefully" so they can go very slowly. :v:

You're right... I understand now why they put the '(exile)'next to human. Interesting.

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013
They've published a new article and this time they're talking about the dungeon 'Stormtalon's Lair.' I really like the look of it, especially how the mobs look even though it's not really anything special. I like that they're pushing the lore, shows dedication.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/uk/news/st.php

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
they seem to be using kinda flller info while all the hype is around NWN O. Imagine saving good stuff for more press. Still cool pictures really do love this games art style.

also hang with us on irc folks #wildstar synirc. Be one of the cool kids early!

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
New info from Arkship EU. haven't read yet but figured I'd link.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/eu_arkship_invitees_feedback.php

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013

Draynar posted:

New info from Arkship EU. haven't read yet but figured I'd link.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/eu_arkship_invitees_feedback.php

You could read the reactions of the guys from Wildstar Central already since the April 25th, but Carbine decided to only officialy release an article just now. However, we get to see a lot of pictures. A shame it's mostly from guys that are either talking or receiving their prizes.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
more schtuff. End game philosophy.

http://wildstar.junkiesnation.com/2013/05/06/jeremy-gaffney-on-the-elder-game-where-the-1-factor-in/

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

I agree with that dude. It's just tough for them to say they'll be releasing a lot of content frequently after the release. A lot of time, players, such as myself, have overly optimistic expectations on just how much there will be and get disappointed.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
I like how he mentions that in general solo players get shafted in current mmo's even thought the entire leveling experiance is solo at end game they get daily's. The worst idea ever.

Need less solo content leveling and the housing/storyline stuff as end game solo player rocks. (Was never cool how wow tried to do the story with Raids it ruined the story and raiders didn't care and lore people didn't get to raid as much)

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013

Great to see a developer that sticks to it's word so long after promising something. While we haven't seen any real evidence as of yet, way too much have other developers been promising stuff for post-release, but never get to actually releasing it.

Spider2414 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 6, 2013

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Doh004 posted:

It's just tough for them to say they'll be releasing a lot of content frequently after the release. A lot of time, players, such as myself, have overly optimistic expectations on just how much there will be and get disappointed.

Yeah, basically every developer has promised they will do this but pretty much none follow through. The fact they say they'll do this means nothing at this point. However, it would be really nice if it happens for once.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
What mmo's have NOT given content post release? I cannot honestly think of one.

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda
Almost all of them do it, but the frequency/depth/quality of what they release is another matter entirely.

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013

Draynar posted:

They all released it too late, when the biggest part of the playerbase had already moved on or it was just rushed and had no value at all.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Flarestar posted:

Almost all of them do it, but the frequency/depth/quality of what they release is another matter entirely.

I think outside of WoW all of the recent mmo's have released on a good schedule with good content. (Rift,TSW,GW2 at least) so I'd imagine that's best we can hope for from that.

Asherons Call was only mmo that released a large amount every month and new mmo's just don't do that.

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013

Draynar posted:

I think outside of WoW all of the recent mmo's have released on a good schedule with good content. (Rift,TSW,GW2 at least) so I'd imagine that's best we can hope for from that.

Asherons Call was only mmo that released a large amount every month and new mmo's just don't do that.

Guild Wars 2 has a monthly big update.

Yes, they have released content (and Rift was quite good to say the least) but TSW had the worst marketing ever and Guild Wars 2's content was good to return, but not to keep playing. It all felt kind of pointless. Hopefully WildStar release content with good value, that gives you a goal and keeps you busy.

Spider2414 fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 6, 2013

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

I just hope Carbine doesn't just add new bullshit grinds months after release and instead just fun content. ArenaNet has been good about adding fun content to the game but always limited to just that month which makes it difficult to want to come back to. If you don't play RIGHT NOW oh well maybe next month.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

quote:

4) There’s some magic involved. Picture a game with no nigh-inaccessible content. You can go anywhere the first month, there’s nothing left unseen. From one perspective, maybe that’s great – there’s no earning your way into Counterstrike maps, and that game’s pretty drat fun. But from another…I dunno, it’s pretty tough to have a mysterious, huge-feeling world when you can trivially do it all, and even in games I don’t want to or don’t have time to raid in I’d like to know there’s more out there. That’s arguable though.

This seems a little misguided at least. You don't have to have mad progression to have an interesting world, and a short (or even nonexistent) leveling curve definitely doesn't mean you have to make your game easy. Dark Souls gives you your weapons, kicks you out to explore the big, mysterious world, and is still hard enough to be engaging right from the start. I guess I'm a little tired of mmo developers papering over poo poo gameplay with 80 levels worth of carrots. I think the barrier to being able to go anywhere right away should be whether you have the skill to do it, not whether you've logged enough hours and found enough gear.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Flumbooze posted:

Okay, now it's definitely clear you have not played GW2. There is no "monthly big update" for GW2, never has been, and the vast majority of content since release has been temporary and/or holiday events.

Draynar posted:

Sorry, wasn't clear, I meant more the quality and quantity of content, not that zero content was added. Even crap like Cryptic games added content.

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 6, 2013

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Flumbooze posted:

Uh what? Am I playing the same gw2 as you? If you're calling the living story a big update please clarify for me. I love fixing sign posts for content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013
Well, I haven't touched GW2 after finishing the main story and read about new content
in news articles. I assumed they would release at least something monthly. Wasn't that the plan?

• Locked thread