Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Anyone have an opinion on the MIL?

The timing may be a tooth off as previously thought, but the engine runs incredibly smoothly which leads me away from a mechanical issue like that.

The MIL is P1362, which is TDC Sensor 1 Open/Shorted/Poor connection/Faulty. It's worth it to note that P1364 isn't on, which is for TDC 2, what I assume to be the complementary of the two cam sensors.

I think I will try wiggling the harness at the cam sensors and see if that does something. If not I'll check the resistance on both sensors and maybe swap them to see if I get P1364 instead.

Final pictures to come in a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Rest of the pictures:

Routing the lower radiator hose:

Under-Intake Brackets:

Tensioner:

Alternator:

Belt:

Intake bits:

It lives!

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 23, 2013

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Heh so one of the cam sensors was halfway unplugged. Car is great now! Staying below 4k rpm for the first thousand miles.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Adiabatic posted:

Heh so one of the cam sensors was halfway unplugged. Car is great now! Staying below 4k rpm for the first thousand miles.

My thought was that the ECU being unpowered via battery disconnection threw it into limp mode, as such you'd need to have the dealership rob you to have it reprogrammed. Glad that it was just a sensor. I know for my SI it said not to engage VTEC until 800 miles; I'm not too sure what Honda says about the S2000.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

KKKLIP ART posted:

My thought was that the ECU being unpowered via battery disconnection threw it into limp mode, as such you'd need to have the dealership rob you to have it reprogrammed. Glad that it was just a sensor. I know for my SI it said not to engage VTEC until 800 miles; I'm not too sure what Honda says about the S2000.

I remember the manual for my 2006 said 600 miles until VTEC could be used. That was a boring 600 miles.

Congrats Adiabatic on getting everything working. Do you plan on testing 9k RPM on the street or in a controlled environment like a dyno?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Staying under 4K is going to be fun for a thousand miles...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Congrats on getting the car buttoned up again! Do you have anything that can datalog to make sure all the sensors are plugged in and undamaged?

Nodoze posted:

Staying under 4K is going to be fun for a thousand miles...

Don't these idle at 3k? Just let the clutch out slowly, never go near the gas, and shift down only when going uphill. :v:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

My cold idle this morning was 2k :smith:

That being said 4k still gives me a pretty decent range and it's completely driveable, albeit slow-ish. (70mph in 6th gear is right at 4k though :v: )I'm just glad resurfacing the old flywheel and ditching the lovely aftermarket "lightweight" one took care of the idle buzz. Smooth as molasses now.

No datalogging capabilities, but I figure I'd have a MIL or it'd be pretty obvious if something weren't plugged in. It helps that there aren't really many sensors on this car to begin with.

I plan on taking slow, loaded runs up to 7, then 8, then 9k after I change the oil at 1000 miles and make sure no metal is in the filter.

Also apparently I still have a bubble in the coolant. I got a crazy fast spike in the temp this morning on the way to work and cold air from the heater. Pulled it over and let it sit for 5 minutes and everything was back to normal. Apparently there's a bleed valve on the firewall I missed. Taking care of that after work today.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

250 miles and still running strong!

Probably gonna compression test it at some point in the near future.

Also going to go look at a 2000 Suzuki SV650 tomorrow...

Edit: taking suggestions on cheap 90s/2000s era ~600cc V-twins good for learning on.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 26, 2013

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
You've already found it. SV's are a great choice. What are the details on the bike?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

MY2000, dude just spent $1800 on repairs/upgrades from it sitting for a while, has the receipts. Needs a speed sensor gear. He's selling it because he just got a DUI and lost his license for a year. 6600 miles. He wants $2600 for it.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Adiabatic posted:

250 miles and still running strong!

Probably gonna compression test it at some point in the near future.

The big test will be hitting VTEC.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Is there any way, through a diagnostic plugin etc, to "force" the cam profile change at lower RPM to make sure it works properly?

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

InitialDave posted:

Is there any way, through a diagnostic plugin etc, to "force" the cam profile change at lower RPM to make sure it works properly?

This could be completely irrelevant but on the 2ZZ engine we needed completed reworked fuel/spark maps to lower VVT engagement RPM. I know some aftermarket companies make ECU flashes for the S2000 that lower to something low like 4500RPM but it's a completely different tune.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

This could be completely irrelevant but on the 2ZZ engine we needed completed reworked fuel/spark maps to lower VVT engagement RPM. I know some aftermarket companies make ECU flashes for the S2000 that lower to something low like 4500RPM but it's a completely different tune.
Oh, I didn't mean a permanent thing, just whether you can switch profiles without changing anything else at a lower RPM. It'd probably run about as well as anything else with a performance cam at low RPM, but it'd show that the mechanism is all working properly.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Adiabatic posted:

Also going to go look at a 2000 Suzuki SV650 tomorrow...

Edit: taking suggestions on cheap 90s/2000s era ~600cc V-twins good for learning on.

Stick with the SV, I loved mine :). Congrats on getting it running! I can't wait for you to give the all-clear when you bring it up to real rpms :).

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Woop woop, I finally got my e30 sorted out as well, we should all RVAI meet at Cars & Coffee next weekend.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I'd love to, but I've got motorcycle classes to go to next weekend.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Oh, I didn't mean a permanent thing, just whether you can switch profiles without changing anything else at a lower RPM. It'd probably run about as well as anything else with a performance cam at low RPM, but it'd show that the mechanism is all working properly.

As far as I've read you can take the valve cover off and hook up a special tool to the solenoid to activate it, then turn it over manually.

As far as actually turning it on, the High maps (VTEC engaged) only go down to ~5500rpm.

TheLarson
Oct 14, 2004

PREPARE FOR THE WOODSHED!
BOW BEFORE KING JIGGLES!

Adiabatic posted:

I'd love to, but I've got motorcycle classes to go to next weekend.

You too, huh? I've got this thing to keep me occupied while the Corolla is under the weather. Swoon.

(is that an SV in your truck?)

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

The aforementioned SV650, though its on a trailer behind my buddy's jeep.

I tooled around on it in the neighborhood yesterday and I'm in love. Bikes are awesome. Anyone want an S2000?

whiskas
May 30, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

The aforementioned SV650, though its on a trailer behind my buddy's jeep.

I tooled around on it in the neighborhood yesterday and I'm in love. Bikes are awesome. Anyone want an S2000?

As a fellow S2000 owner taking his motorcycle course soon, do you see yourself seeing the bike as a replacement for the S2000? I'm worried I'll never drive it after I experience what a bike is like.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

whiskas posted:

As a fellow S2000 owner taking his motorcycle course soon, do you see yourself seeing the bike as a replacement for the S2000? I'm worried I'll never drive it after I experience what a bike is like.

I've never driven an S2000 but as a motorcyclist I'm pretty sure your first healthy throttle pull on a motorcycle is going to be a real eye opener.

While I wouldn't recommend a supersport bike for a newbie, if you get to ride one at some point you'll be blown away by the acceleration. 600s are rocket ships, literbikes are loving time-and-space-bendingly quick.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

^ I agree with this. The first time you get on a literbike and roll on the throttle in first and second just to feel the front wheel lift you'll poo poo your pants at how fun it is. I don't know if I'd want one for everyday travel but gently caress me if it isn't fun to jump on one and feel that kind of power. That being said SV's are fun as well. I'd recommend throwing on suspension upgrades (GSXR front forks if you want otherwise racetech springs and a better shock will do a lot.) You'll be pretty set for a while until you're ready to move up to a supersport.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I can see how the acceleration will be mind blowing, but I dare say its gonna be hard to beat a nice windy road with the S2000. It's certainly not fast in a straight line but good god is the capability around a turn just fierce. I was thinking about selling it but now that I have it back, even staying below 4k, I'm most definitely selling the civic instead.

I think there's room for both right now.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah, don't get rid of a very capable sports car just because you got a motorcycle. Apples and oranges.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Keep both. I badly miss my sv650s but I'd miss my s2000 far more.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Good stuff. Glad to hear the reassurances.

I've committed myself to never ever ever commuting with the bike. I guess I'm DDing an S2000 now?

Edit: Or I'll get something else for cheap but seriously screw that Civic. That thing is soul-sucking.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Hmmmm, tough choice. Civic or S2k?

It's a no brainer dude.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

So I got to 8k today.

Then there was a whole lot of smoke.

Turns out the VTEC solenoid housing wasn't torqued down all the way, and deposited ~3qts of my oil on the freeway when the bolts backed out.

LUCKILY I got it shut off immediately and after filling it back with the proper amount of oil and tightening those bolts back the engine was no worse for wear. I have a bunch of oil coating the passenger side of the engine bay and I'm now scared of every sound I hear from it, but poo poo guys it crossed over into the high cam fine and it survived 8k!

Oh also the exhaust manifold spring bolts fell off and it's loud as poo poo. Buddy was responsible for that one at least.

Been an interesting day.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Adiabatic posted:

So I got to 8k today.

Then there was a whole lot of smoke.

Turns out the VTEC solenoid housing wasn't torqued down all the way, and deposited ~3qts of my oil on the freeway when the bolts backed out.

LUCKILY I got it shut off immediately and after filling it back with the proper amount of oil and tightening those bolts back the engine was no worse for wear. I have a bunch of oil coating the passenger side of the engine bay and I'm now scared of every sound I hear from it, but poo poo guys it crossed over into the high cam fine and it survived 8k!

Oh also the exhaust manifold spring bolts fell off and it's loud as poo poo. Buddy was responsible for that one at least.

Been an interesting day.

OshitOshitOshitOshit.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

How much did the new underwear cost? I would've shat my loving pants if I saw all that smoke the first time I really got on it. In my head would've been terrible images of valves meeting piston and holes in the crankcase and all kinds of monstrous poo poo.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

The entire waiting for girlfriend while frantically searching for a hole in my block, driving to autozone with girlfriends car, buying oil and cringing while the lady at the counter manually entered my card info, driving back out to the interstate, and turning it on to see oil gushing from the head was a 30 minute continuous clenched butthole moment.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

drat man. You should take your time reassembling things.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Good news, the passenger side of your car will never rust.

Lemonade, man.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I definitely did, and I even remember doing it on those bolts. Problem is they're small and going into an aluminum head, so they're only torqued down to 9 ft*lbs and have the chain tensioner pushing against them. I really should've used loc-tite on them, and I will be when I get back to it with new exhaust bolts.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

So nobody in Richmond VA apparently stocks metric exhaust spring bolts.

Phone: The big glass of lemonade is it held 8k just fine (aside from the backing out issue...) and it sounds and drives just fine.

Edit: I lied, Bap Geon has a kit. Getting her back to 100% tonight!

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Apr 30, 2013

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Larrymer posted:

drat man. You should take your time reassembling things.

Adiabatic posted:

I definitely did

Then maybe you should take more care and be more detail oriented. This is at least the third thing you've posted about that wasn't assembled properly.

I know, nobody like to hear they're doing it wrong. But you should seriously reconsider your procedure/amount of care/alcohol consumption during working on the car/whatever. You're missing basic stuff that you shouldn't be missing. Double and triple check your poo poo. I'd be very concerned about what else is lurking right now if I were you. Enough so to spend an afternoon going over everything I could reasonably get to that I'd touched with a fine toothed comb.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I think you're either overreacting or there's a disconnect between the perceived and actual amount of time I'm working on this.

The bolts were torqued to spec and I remember doing so. Problem is it's only 9 ft*lbs since theyre small and seat into aluminum. The fact that I neglected loc-tite on those three bolts made this occur. I can't recall the other instances you're talking about but be sure that I'm going to go over crucial external systems again. I think your response is a bit much, considering. Remember hindsight is 20/20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Adiabatic posted:

I think you're either overreacting or there's a disconnect between the perceived and actual amount of time I'm working on this.

The bolts were torqued to spec and I remember doing so. Problem is it's only 9 ft*lbs since theyre small and seat into aluminum. The fact that I neglected loc-tite on those three bolts made this occur. I can't recall the other instances you're talking about but be sure that I'm going to go over crucial external systems again. I think your response is a bit much, considering. Remember hindsight is 20/20.

Take the advice or don't. I only have what you've posted to go on.

Adiabatic posted:

The ground wire on the back of the head was disconnected.

Adiabatic posted:

Adiabatic posted:

Oh also the exhaust manifold spring bolts fell off

So the solenoid actually makes 4.

• Locked thread