Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

BadAstronaut posted:

Is it just me or can we not save game in the Fire Emblem demo? (European version)

Loving the game though. Definitely one to buy.

Nah, which is probably for the best since the demo (at least in the US) locks out the Avatar Customization and the option to use classic permadeath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mid83
Oct 15, 2012
I'm about to pick up Luigi's Mansion to get the free game. What's the consensus best choice, Mario 3D Land?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Soul Glo posted:

Yeah, in a product where the battery is easily replaced, my attitude is to give fewer shits than I normally do when protecting batteries. However, Nintendo did release the product with the suspend feature and an easy-charging dock, so it seems like they intend the 3DS to be always-on and usually-charging.

Is "protecting batteries" even still a thing? I've stopped caring about recharge cycles on all my phones, handhelds and my netbook like a decade ago and as far as I can tell it hasn't hurt them. I thought that was only an issue with ancient batteries. As for the 3DSXL, mine is plugged in constantly and seems to be just fine.

Camaro83 posted:

I'm about to pick up Luigi's Mansion to get the free game. What's the consensus best choice, Mario 3D Land?

Even without knowing the other choices, yes.

mid83
Oct 15, 2012

Katana Gomai posted:

Is "protecting batteries" even still a thing? I've stopped caring about recharge cycles on all my phones, handhelds and my netbook like a decade ago and as far as I can tell it hasn't hurt them. I thought that was only an issue with ancient batteries. As for the 3DSXL, mine is plugged in constantly and seems to be just fine.

Even without knowing the other choices, yes.

Starfox 64 and one of the Leyton games...I can't remember the others

I would consider the Professor Leyton game, but I'm one of those people who hates playing games out of order so I'd rather just play the DS games first.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Well Layton 5 is a fantastic game (and easily twice as long as the DS titles) but I agree with you on playing them in order, plus you'll find it cheaper than Mario; same for Starfox 3D, I got it for 10€ and people in this thread have bought it at $5-10 in various sales.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Katana Gomai posted:

Well, all batteries have limited charge cycles, right? I've noticed a drop off in my iPhone 4S since I got it at release. Could be a combination of using it more and signal strength or even completely imagined, but who knows.

But since the 3DS' battery can be replaced easily-- use it when you want, charge it when you want, replace the battery easily if necesssary.

\/\/\/ All batteries have charge cycles. Your story ends with a dead battery. \/\/\/

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Apr 28, 2013

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The old Nickel Cadmium batteries had an issue with "memory," where if you left them all the way charged or all the way drained for a long time, it caused problems with use and holding a charge. Lithium does not (for our purposes) have this problem. End of story.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So here's an odd question, how do I leave the eShop? The home button brings up the "Can't do that here" sign, and the menu doesn't have an option for it (return to Main Menu just goes to the main eshop menu).

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Momomo posted:

So here's an odd question, how do I leave the eShop? The home button brings up the "Can't do that here" sign, and the menu doesn't have an option for it (return to Main Menu just goes to the main eshop menu).

There are certain parts of the eShop that will balk at the Home button. Navigate somewhere else and hit it again.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

Well, all batteries have limited charge cycles, right? I've noticed a drop off in my iPhone 4S since I got it at release. Could be a combination of using it more and signal strength or even completely imagined, but who knows.

But since the 3DS' battery can be replaced easily-- use it when you want, charge it when you want, replace the battery easily if necesssary.

\/\/\/ All batteries have charge cycles. Your story ends with a dead battery. \/\/\/

What he's talking about is the "memory effect", where if you didn't completely empty a (once again, ancient) battery before charging it again, it would deteriorate. Say it was still 10% full, it would now take that level as 0% and therefore be 10% weaker. This doesn't happen anymore and as for charge cycles, I do think that nowadays batteries have enough of them that they long outlast the technology they are placed in.

I guess what I'm saying is that devices don't "end with a dead battery" anymore because no one uses the same device long enough that it becomes an issue.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Katana Gomai posted:

What he's talking about is the "memory effect", where if you didn't completely empty a (once again, ancient) battery before charging it again, it would deteriorate. Say it was still 10% full, it would now take that level as 0% and therefore be 10% weaker. This doesn't happen anymore and as for charge cycles, I do think that nowadays batteries have enough of them that they long outlast the technology they are placed in.

I guess what I'm saying is that devices don't "end with a dead battery" anymore because no one uses the same device long enough that it becomes an issue.

Yeah, I know. But the guy who originally asked was asking about the general health of the battery. And, generally, all batteries will die. The good thing thing about the 3DS is that unlike other portable devices (my referenced iPhone, or even the 3DS' competition, the Vita) the 3DS' battery is easily (and cheaply, honestly) replaced, so it doesn't even really matter.

But no, no modern gaming device is going to have a battery that shits the bed because you let it drain all the way or something. But that isn't what the original poster of the discussion asked about.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, I meant just general advice for keeping its capacity from prematurely reducing (which I've had happen to a couple of devices), rather than "if it goes to 0%, it's not broken, right?"

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Aurain posted:

Yeah, I meant just general advice for keeping its capacity from prematurely reducing (which I've had happen to a couple of devices), rather than "if it goes to 0%, it's not broken, right?"

Just keep it charged. Like I said, Nintendo originally inserted charging docks into every 3DS box, and the Streetpass feature is meant to be used; the unit is meant to be kept on. You shouldn't have problems. If you do have issues in warranty, Nintendo has good customer service. Outside of warranty-- batteries are cheap and easily replaced. Go hog wild.

e: That said, I keep mine off when I know I'm done playing for the day, but that's mainly because mine doesn't usually leave the house so I'm not gonna be passing Miis back and forth with people anyway.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Apr 28, 2013

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, I'm not especially worried or anything. I was just curious if there was a recommended way to go around things.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

No, I mean I can't save AT ALL.
:(

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Aurain posted:

The recommended way for lithium is not to let the charge go under 40% of its capacity. Did it reach 40%? Charge it.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Saoshyant posted:

The recommended way for lithium is not to let the charge go under 40% of its capacity. Did it reach 40%? Charge it.

Source? I've never heard this before.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

BadAstronaut posted:

No, I mean I can't save AT ALL.
:(

The Fire Emblem demo is 30 minutes long and you can't save and you don't need to.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Norns posted:

Something I read years ago. The closest I could find is this guide under section 2 of Prolong the Life of Your Battery, which tells you to charge when it's at one bar (25-30% depending on the system). The important bit is, of course, "unlike Ni-Cd batteries, lithium-ion batteries' life is shortened every time you fully discharge them."

There's also something about not storing a removable battery with less than 40% charge, plus the usual tips about temperature.

vvv You are adorable.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 28, 2013

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Norns posted:

His rear end, because that's definitely where he pulled that info from.

*edit* That article is full of bullshit. Don't go around spouting unsourced crap you don't know anything about.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
So how about that Dragon Quest Monsters 2 remake we're never going to get, just like the first one: http://www.joystiq.com/2013/04/26/rumor-japanese-trademark-suggests-dragon-quest-monsters-2-remak/#comments

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
It's not great to leave a li-ion battery on the charger the whole time with the unit on (it'll use up more "charge cycles" over time) but this doesn't really apply outside of some people's laptops as usually portable devices are, well, used portably.
Other than that the only real thing that can happen is the internal battery circuitry loses track of what empty is and will cut off current a bit earlier than expected. This can be restored to normal by draining the battery, then charging to full.

Also, don't do a full discharge then let the battery sit empty for like 6 months. That will almost certainly kill the battery completely due to self-discharge.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

parasyte posted:

It's not great to leave a li-ion battery on the charger the whole time with the unit on (it'll use up more "charge cycles" over time)

What this doesn't make any sense and directly contradicts any advice about lithium-ion batteries ever. Wrong wrong wrong. Your other tips are okay but where the hell did this come from?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Geirskogul posted:

What this doesn't make any sense and directly contradicts any advice about lithium-ion batteries ever. Wrong wrong wrong. Your other tips are okay but where the hell did this come from?

Probably cell phone store employees talking about poo poo they don't understand like usual. It's hilarious the misinformation they think they know.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

The only thing I hear consistently about modern batteries is that they don't like to be above 80% or below 20% and if you're going to have them sit around for a long time, it's best to discharge to about 80%. Not much lower than that though because if they lose their charge completely, they can become unrecoverable. They don't really have memory or anything though so if you're using something frequently, and the chips in the batteries even handle a lot of this stuff for you, so it's not worth obsessing over. Especially when so many are easily replaced, or like on a phone, you'll end up replacing the thing long before it becomes and issue.

Also I thought Mystery Dungeon was $35 because it has DLC but I'm not sure why Animal Crossing is listed as $35, unless maybe it has DLC?

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Geirskogul posted:

Sorry, I should have said "more than expected" instead, and a device being on doesn't matter; modern batteries are better about cutting off and managing the charge current than they used to be but lithium ion batteries have higher self-discharge rates and general capacity loss at higher battery charges, so not using a battery at a full charge will cause it to reach end of life sooner.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Boten Anna posted:

Also I thought Mystery Dungeon was $35 because it has DLC but I'm not sure why Animal Crossing is listed as $35, unless maybe it has DLC?

I doubt pricing has anything to do with DLC. SMT IV has DLC and it's priced at $50.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Goons need to min/max everything in life, even a $20 battery.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Sodium Chloride posted:

The Fire Emblem demo is 30 minutes long and you can't save and you don't need to.

Ah OK cool. I'm really gonna buy this one. Very much enjoyed what little I played of it so far.

How many hours of gameplay does the full version have?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I had about 40 for my first run. And then immediately started another run or two.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

BadAstronaut posted:

Ah OK cool. I'm really gonna buy this one. Very much enjoyed what little I played of it so far.

One playthrough is around 20-30 hours, more if you do absolutely everything, and there's a fair bit of post game content through DLC.

It's also pretty replayable, since you get more characters then you can really use in a single playthrough.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

At least 35 for a straight runthrough, although I doubt that's the average. Considering how much optional content there is, and how much you can grind your characters up if you want to, a single runthrough could last you much much longer.

Plus you may want to play through it multiple times on different difficulty levels.

Basically Fire Emblem can last you forever if you want it to.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

If you're playing on Hard or Lunatic you'll also have to add on an extra few hours for failed mission attempts where a party member dies and you turn off the game so you don't lose them. (I don't know how many other people are lame like me and do this though) I know the game has the option to turn off deaths but that seems like it would make things super easy.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Strange Quark posted:

I doubt pricing has anything to do with DLC. SMT IV has DLC and it's priced at $50.

Speaking of which, is that going to be $50 even digitally?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah, I had 30 hours on my savefile when I beat the final mission (not counting resets which was like +5-6 hours). I am now up to 60 hours on my savefile. I've got a shitload of content left still.

EDIT:

quote:

If you're playing on Hard or Lunatic you'll also have to add on an extra few hours for failed mission attempts where a party member dies and you turn off the game so you don't lose them. (I don't know how many other people are lame like me and do this though)
The developers themselves do that, so don't worry. :)

Terper fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 28, 2013

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

My Fire Emblem save file is currently at about 130 hours and I still haven't trained up all the kid characters or tackled the challenge DLC.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

BadAstronaut posted:

Well my first playthrough took me 50 hours, but then I started a bunch of other runs and my Activity Log says I've been playing for 250+ hours so...

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

OK serious question... How the hell do you play this for 100/200+ hours? Where does this time go? Replaying on higher difficulties? that's just... So much TIME.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

BadAstronaut posted:

OK serious question... How the hell do you play this for 100/200+ hours? Where does this time go? Replaying on higher difficulties? that's just... So much TIME.

Higher difficulties, replaying to use people you didn't the first time around, grinding for skills, tacking the DLC, retrying stages when someone died, running a eugenics program, etc, etc. poo poo adds up fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

BadAstronaut posted:

The bulk of my 100+ single file is just postgame grinding. Mostly for supports.

• Locked thread