Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

ToastFaceKillah posted:

Speaking as someone with a 4 month old kitten, they are a bit more active than other cats, but as long as you give them something to spend their energy on, they're awesome guys. Obviously a 12 year old Bengal is going to have a bit less energy than a kitten, so you should be fine. :)

Excellent! I hope to do the phone interview with the rescue/foster people today.

Here they are:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

With regards to introducing a cat to an existing cat, I've had a hard time getting info on this specific case:

A friend of a friend was getting evicted, and to avoid this cat going to a shelter, I took him. He's declawed, which is something I wouldn't choose ideally. He was 2 when I got him - he's nearly 3 now.

I feel like I'd like to get him a buddy. I've read some about introducing and new cat, but my concern is that my cat is de-clawed, and if I got a second cat, I would want a clawed one. Is this one of those cases where it'll just take more work on my part? Or is this a case where the clawed cat will very likely be dominant and terrorize my existing cat?

TL;DR - Is introducing a clawed cat to a declawed cat inherently problematic?

I'm sure there's not a concrete answer - I'm just hoping someone has some experience, or resources about this situation.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
It's going to depend on the cat you get, honestly. Try to get a well-socialized cat who knows how to play gently with others.

Ozma is declawed and Pizza is not, but it hasn't been an issue because Pizza is very laid back even when she isn't and he's always very well aware of his claws.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Both of my cats are fully clawed, but Hugo may as well be declawed because he's so bad at playfighting. Even if they're best chums they still might playfight and I guess just be prepared to find scratch marks from time to time. I clip Decoy's claws regularly to try and mitigate his ability to hurt Hugo - although the stupid furball is the initiator of most scuffles so any scratches he gets usually serve him right.

If it makes you feel any better, a declawed cat can still bodyslam and bite. Hugo is uncoordinated as hell re: claws but he can slam Decoy to the ground like a pro and while Decoy sometimes has suspicious white tufts of fur between his claws, Hugo sometimes has a mouth full of black fur so :shrug:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Captain Lavender posted:

TL;DR - Is introducing a clawed cat to a declawed cat inherently problematic?
No; depends on your cats, and lots of cats don't really use claws when playing. Also, teeth are a definite fightin' tool, as is the dreaded rabbit kick, particularly because the back paws are rarely declawed. (please say your cat is not a full declaw)

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Yeah, just the fronts.

Thanks for the input. I'm not in a huge rush, so maybe I can take some time to vet a super chill clawed cat. Appreciate it.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
My fiancee has an adorable cat. He's used to me, likes me, so no problems there. He has a tendency to want to go outside but taking him out on a leash does nothing. He just flops down, eats grass (which he later throws up) and lays there. I have feral cats in my complex and don't want him hurt. Is there something I can do to curb that? I did see the ideas in the OP but don't know that putting a motion sensor on a door would do any good. Ideas? :(

Here's Jayne :)

Also, as a side note, I'm allergic. Any recommendations on helping that? I know being clean and keeping stuff free of cat hair and visiting the doctor will help but just looking for suggestions I haven't thought of.

Irritated Goat fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 25, 2013

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
HEPA filter air purifier may be a good investment

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Captain Lavender posted:

Yeah, just the fronts.

Thanks for the input. I'm not in a huge rush, so maybe I can take some time to vet a super chill clawed cat. Appreciate it.

There are also declawed cats in shelters who need homes too. Just be clear on why you'd be interested in one, i.e. not because you support declawing.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
Dunno where to post this, here seems as good a place as any. I have a cat that is basically living on my back patio. The last two nights an opossum has been lurking around. Last night it was even staring through sliding glass door looking in at my indoor cats. Is this possum gonna attack this outdoor cat? I also found a drowned baby possum in my pool yesterday so the possum might be agitated and looking for the baby.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
One of our cats has very smelly feces, even after weaning him off of wet food (he's an adoptee) and doesn't cover his waste (of either sort). What can we do to correct one or both of these issues?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

hooah posted:

One of our cats has very smelly feces, even after weaning him off of wet food (he's an adoptee) and doesn't cover his waste (of either sort). What can we do to correct one or both of these issues?

Buy an air freshener.

Realer answer: Worlds Best does a good job of locking the scent away even if my cats don't bury it.

Zandorv
Nov 22, 2011

Meet Archer.

Archer is about a year old. He is a largish cat, very sociable. He's more affectionate (and attention hungry) than most dogs I know. Before I took him in, he was a part of a 16 kitten, 20 something cat home- all of them 100% outdoor (3 or 4 of the cats had large litters at about the same time). The family had one cat originally, but refused to get her spayed because it was too expensive. I wanted to bring 2 or 3 of them home with me- within a few weeks of me getting him the guy who owns the cats' mom took all but 3 of the cats "to a shelter," except that I checked every shelter in town and they weren't there, so I'm guessing they were all dumped somewhere. When I got him, Archer had fleas and mites and hadn't been de-wormed or gotten his shots. I fixed him up, got him neutered, and he's a very cool, affectionate cat but he seems a bit attention hungry and lonely. I want to get another cat but my dad, who also happens to be my landlord, says no- partially because there's a second cat coming in with my new roommate. When I asked if the new cat (named Nox) was inside or outside and to describe him, new roommate replied thusly: "Inside. I think he's around 6 or 7 months. He's never been around a male cat, but he gets along with my roommate's female cat. They play fight and chase each other, but there's never been any kind of real aggression. He liked to scratch and bite as a kitten, but he's mellowed out a lot recently. He's friendly with new people and only seems curious about other cats."
Nox is not neutered yet but will be once they move in (new roommate is getting it done this upcoming month and is moving in late July/early August). Neither cat is declawed. I want to introduce Archer and Nox before they suddenly move in together. Any suggestions for these two cats, both in meeting and in moving in?
As some extra background info, Archer is inside/outside (I couldn't break him of the outside itch- he whined at all hours for months until I finally gave in and now he doesn't even leave the yard- little git). I figured if they had a spat I could let Archer out until things cooled off since Nox is inside only. A month or two ago, Archer lived with a second cat about 4-6 months for a few weeks (the cat got out and was lost, but we finally figured out who he belonged to) and once we introduced them after quarantine was over (lost cat had a horrendous eye infection; I took him to the vet as soon as I found him) they got along pretty well. there was some slight hissing and mostly tense staring at first, but after a few hours they started playing (although the playing had a bit of an edge at times). Only a day or two after lost cat left quarantine, we found the family, so I didn't get to see extensive interactions, but Archer seemed to handle the sudden intrusion much better than most cats would.
I'm hoping that Archer and Nox not only get along quite well but that Nox can fill that companionless void in Archer's heart. How can I best help this along and make sure they don't become bitter enemies instead?

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Zandorv posted:

Nox is not neutered yet but will be once they move in (new roommate is getting it done this upcoming month and is moving in late July/early August). Neither cat is declawed. I want to introduce Archer and Nox before they suddenly move in together. Any suggestions for these two cats, both in meeting and in moving in?

As a general rule, cats don't do playdates or meet-and-greets well at all. Go look at the second post of this thread for cat-cat intro protocol.

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.
So I'm stuck doing a precarious move this year. (Current lease ends 5/31. New one starts 6/1.) It'll take at least two days to get everything out and clean, and with no friends/family that can house them, it looks like the best option might be to board my two cats for the duration. Any advice to not stupidly stress them out or have them get full of kitty diseases? :ohdear: (First time doing this, since friends always came over to watch them.)

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
Oh man, I found an awesome cat tree... on the curb outside. What should I do to this thing to make it safe for myself and my cats before I take it inside?

BothSides
Jul 14, 2010

VERTiG0 posted:

Excellent! I hope to do the phone interview with the rescue/foster people today.

Here they are:

Oh hey, this is the rescue group I volunteer with. When I saw the intake email for these guys I knew they wouldn't last long!

If you did end up adopting them: pictures!

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

This little lady has a working title of Mitzi. We pulled her out of the wall at my grandfather's yesterday and took her straight to the vet. Vet says she's weaned off of milk and should have little trouble with solids, but she hasn't pooped since I took her home. She was stuck in that wall for two or three days, and I had to clean quite a bit of fiberglass off of her. She had a warm bath with some dawn suds to remove any pests and is in great spirits now :)

She hasn't pooped since eating, and its been almost twelve hours. Should I be concerned? What should I do?

Also if you are D/FW local and think she's adorable, she's yours!

fine-tune
Mar 31, 2004

If you want to be a EE, bend over and grab your knees...

Nyarai posted:

So I'm stuck doing a precarious move this year. (Current lease ends 5/31. New one starts 6/1.) It'll take at least two days to get everything out and clean, and with no friends/family that can house them, it looks like the best option might be to board my two cats for the duration. Any advice to not stupidly stress them out or have them get full of kitty diseases? :ohdear: (First time doing this, since friends always came over to watch them.)

Can you board at your vet's office? It seems to help my two cats since they sort of know the vet techs, and my vet is cat only, too. They have double cages for cat pairs, so that helps them as well. I feel better with my cats staying at the vet's office in case they do get sick, but to help keep healthy cats healthy, they keep the boarding area separate from the hospital area. It's not perfect, but my cats haven't come back with any new illness or fleas.

Send them with familiar smells (t-shirt you've slept in or other soft things they like), food and toys. They'll probably be grumpy, but a few days boarding shouldn't be too bad on them. If either of them has ever had an upper respiratory infection, the boarding & moving might be enough stress to cause another one since it's a lifelong virus, but don't get panicky about that.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

DOOMocrat posted:

This little lady has a working title of Mitzi. We pulled her out of the wall at my grandfather's yesterday and took her straight to the vet. Vet says she's weaned off of milk and should have little trouble with solids, but she hasn't pooped since I took her home. She was stuck in that wall for two or three days, and I had to clean quite a bit of fiberglass off of her. She had a warm bath with some dawn suds to remove any pests and is in great spirits now :)

She hasn't pooped since eating, and its been almost twelve hours. Should I be concerned? What should I do?

Also if you are D/FW local and think she's adorable, she's yours!

Cats often don't poop for a while after being adopted or in this case excavated, I suppose. Since she's so young, though, it might be worth your while to try stimulating her butt. This thread about a much younger kitten might have some tips, and it's where the video came from also. Double check with the vet to see if she's young enough to need that before you get all :gonk: in there.

Zandorv posted:

Meet Archer.

Exactly this:

Engineer Lenk posted:

As a general rule, cats don't do playdates or meet-and-greets well at all. Go look at the second post of this thread for cat-cat intro protocol.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

spatula posted:

Oh man, I found an awesome cat tree... on the curb outside. What should I do to this thing to make it safe for myself and my cats before I take it inside?

I'd saturate it with an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle and then steam clean it, making sure it's as dry as possible when you're done. Someone else might differ, but as long as you don't have an immunocompromised cat, that should be sufficient.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Maybe sprinkle it with diatomaceous earth, too? In case of wee bugs?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have a question about my cat, he is male and almost a year old.

I feed him about 3 times a day, sometimes 4 if he is being unbearable, of 85g canned kitten food. It's good quality stuff and he's been eating it since he started eating solid foods. The problem is after he eats a can he meows and meows like he's still starving, today he was so crazy he was trying to get into the trash bin multiple times to get at some chicken bones I threw in there that morning. I've tried feeding him dry food with the wet food but he has had bad reactions to it with both brands that I bought.

Not sure what to do, hoping you guys could help.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Did you phase him on to the dry food slowly? Or just dump a big ol' pile in a bowl and let him have at it? If his bad reaction was diarrhea, it's probably a case of him eating too much of the new food too quickly. Maybe try giving him a tiny amount of dry food and slowly build that up over a couple of weeks to give him time to get used to it?

Or just accept that he's going to whinge regardless. I used to feed both my cats morning and evening (and usually a small top up at night) and the second they didn't have food in their bowls they would be whiny assholes who would flail about dramatically howling for food until their next meal. The only thing that stopped the melodrama was changing from scheduled meals to free feeding dry, although they wail for wet food when we get home. Hugo also howls if his dry bowl is not completely full and we have to shake it from side to side so the biscuits are rearranged before he'll touch it again.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Do you think it's worth trying Feliway with my bitey cat?

His biting is getting a lot worse - initially when I posted he wasn't doing much damage, but now he's causing actual puncture wounds. We've tried everything everyone has recommended short of getting another cat and nothing has worked. If anything, his biting, stalking, and attacking has only gotten worse.

I can't tell if it's aggressive or not. I emailed his veterinarian about it but he woke me up this morning by brutally attacking my arm and actually drawing blood. I'm going to get pet food this afternoon and I was curious if it was worth picking up some Feliway.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Shnooks posted:

Do you think it's worth trying Feliway with my bitey cat?

His biting is getting a lot worse - initially when I posted he wasn't doing much damage, but now he's causing actual puncture wounds. We've tried everything everyone has recommended short of getting another cat and nothing has worked. If anything, his biting, stalking, and attacking has only gotten worse.

I can't tell if it's aggressive or not. I emailed his veterinarian about it but he woke me up this morning by brutally attacking my arm and actually drawing blood. I'm going to get pet food this afternoon and I was curious if it was worth picking up some Feliway.

Worth a try.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So a few months ago one of our cats, Timmeh (think South Park) got loose. Our neighbor has a ton of feral cats that show up and spray on our door, and use our rock front yard as a litterbox, and I think Timmeh either went out after them, or decided to join up with the Lost Boys of cats (he is fixed but did, before he got out, start spraying on things inside). He would come back to the house and run off the second any of us called to him or tried to get close.

So he's likely been around the feral cats. Now he's living in our back yard and does, sometimes, come up to us to be pet, and isn't running away.

My question is, what kind of disease potential would we be throwing into our house and onto the other cats if we let him back in? We don't have a spare room to QT him, summer in AZ is a killer so he pretty much has to come back inside, but I'm not looking forward to fleabombing the house or dealing with FIV or feline leukemia if he somehow caught that from the feral band of cats that the city refuses to deem as a health hazard. I'm pretty sure the feral cats aren't up to date on any shots either. But at least they're all fixed, kittens do appear when the rear end in a top hat neighbor gets them off craigslist.

Yes, Timmeh was fixed by the rescue we adopted him from.

Best case scenario versus worst case here?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
If he'll approach you dose him with flea drops that work in your area before you let him back in. They work pretty much immediately, but you can go over him with a flea comb first to check for eggs and pick off adults. Dose him regardless if you find any. You shouldn't really ever have to fleabomb your house, there are way better and safer alternatives. No idea about everything else. Was he up to date on his shots at least?

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

So a few months ago one of our cats, Timmeh (think South Park) got loose. Our neighbor has a ton of feral cats that show up and spray on our door, and use our rock front yard as a litterbox, and I think Timmeh either went out after them, or decided to join up with the Lost Boys of cats (he is fixed but did, before he got out, start spraying on things inside). He would come back to the house and run off the second any of us called to him or tried to get close.

So he's likely been around the feral cats. Now he's living in our back yard and does, sometimes, come up to us to be pet, and isn't running away.

My question is, what kind of disease potential would we be throwing into our house and onto the other cats if we let him back in? We don't have a spare room to QT him, summer in AZ is a killer so he pretty much has to come back inside, but I'm not looking forward to fleabombing the house or dealing with FIV or feline leukemia if he somehow caught that from the feral band of cats that the city refuses to deem as a health hazard. I'm pretty sure the feral cats aren't up to date on any shots either. But at least they're all fixed, kittens do appear when the rear end in a top hat neighbor gets them off craigslist.

Yes, Timmeh was fixed by the rescue we adopted him from.

Best case scenario versus worst case here?

Can you haul him off to the vet to be tested? That would be the clearest way to put your mind at ease.

These diseases are commonly spread through fighting (and FeLV through other kinds of direct contact, such as mutual grooming). If most or all of the involved parties are neutered, that makes the fighting aspect less likely, so that's good. Was he ever vaccinated for FeLV? Even just a kitten series might give adequate protection for quite awhile, and adults are less susceptible to FeLV anyway.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

My super badass cat Rip is at the vet right now undergoing an emergency procedure for a 'blockage'. It seems he might have UTI, I just really hope mum and I didn't leave it too long but the vet said that they could do it.

Stupid cats, why must I love them so much. The waiting game also sucks butt.

EDIT: Wait is over, surgery is done. He had crystals all up in his body and he has very slight kidney damage but they say it may heal if we change his diet hilariously. Yay! But now I'm tired from all the crying.

Spudd fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Apr 28, 2013

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Spudd posted:

EDIT: Wait is over, surgery is done. He had crystals all up in his body and he has very slight kidney damage but they say it may heal if we change his diet hilariously. Yay! But now I'm tired from all the crying.

So you have to start feeding him clowns, now?

scunish
Feb 27, 2006

A doggy rescue!
Check it out if you're interested, our episode of My Cat From Hell is online now. They included a shot of Kali playing with the mouse cursor while I was looking at the SomethingAwful forums, ha ha. We are on after "Buddy."
http://animal.discovery.com/tv-shows/my-cat-from-hell/videos/feral-scottish-fold.htm

Lipumira
May 6, 2007

FIRE!

scunish posted:

Check it out if you're interested, our episode of My Cat From Hell is online now. They included a shot of Kali playing with the mouse cursor while I was looking at the SomethingAwful forums, ha ha. We are on after "Buddy."
http://animal.discovery.com/tv-shows/my-cat-from-hell/videos/feral-scottish-fold.htm

I actually caught it last night on TV and backed up a couple of clicks to confirm it was SA I thought it saw. Ha. Looks like you were making some progress in the episode, but I can tell that you were all totally stressed about the whole thing. Pretty kitties all around. Does the cat dude smell like patchouli? Seems like he might (although I think he seems pretty cool and it's obvious he really loves cats a lot)

Sorry it didn't work out in the end - but I am betting everyone is happier now.

scunish
Feb 27, 2006

A doggy rescue!
No Patchouli, but he is a pretty hardcore vegan. :) Yeah everyone's much happier, including all cats involved. Life has gone back to normal. Never again will I impulsively adopt another cat, ha ha.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

scunish posted:

A long time ago I posted something asking for help with a new cat that I'd adopted (thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490244&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1). Someone in the thread mentioned that show My Cat From Hell, and I thought, why not? So gave it a shot and we're going to be on the show! The bad news is the situation didn't get fixed, but the good news is that Kali was recently adopted by a family that's perfect for her. No other pets, kids who give lots of attention, etc. But just wanted to give an update for anyone who was following the thread from before :)

Edit: forgot to say that our episode will air April 27!

Hmmmmmm so having just watched the episode... I gather that happy ending was a bit of an edit?

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
My cat has been sneezing occasionally this afternoon, maybe once an hour or 90 minutes. She did do a road trip this weekend and met some new people. Is this a "take her to the vet immediately" situation, or a "wait and see if she's ok tomorrow" situation?

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

more like dICK posted:

My cat has been sneezing occasionally this afternoon, maybe once an hour or 90 minutes. She did do a road trip this weekend and met some new people. Is this a "take her to the vet immediately" situation, or a "wait and see if she's ok tomorrow" situation?

Many cats have the herp and stress can make it become latent. This document can tell you which signs you should be concerned about if you see them. Of course other things can be wrong and if you're seeing signs that concern you, you should consult your veterinarian.

scunish
Feb 27, 2006

A doggy rescue!
Yeah, there was editing throughout. It was very TV...that said, it was genuinely exciting to see her sit in the same room as G and T without going out of control. I suspect the harness and other environmental stressors had a lot to do with it though. :( the next day we tried feeding through the screen door without a sight blocker, and she attacked the door so crazily that she was limping for a few days afterward.
We did give it a real shot though, and even tried cat Prozac for 6 weeks after filming. No dice. Goddess of chaos just HATES other cats. Sucks because in the end, we kept her for nearly a year and yielding wasn't easy at all. When we found out she'd been adopted a couple of weekends ago tears were shed, but I'm a giant crybaby so I guess that's no surprise. :)

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
The story does still have a happy ending considering that you stuck with kitty and found a no-kill shelter instead of sending Kali to die at another shelter.

And we got a nice cameo. My cat too likes to play with cursors on the forums page.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
I have been a foster for a kitty with terminal cancer for the past few days, and will be indefinitely, I love her. She is my first cat though, and while I like to think of myself as very aware of the nuances of cat ownership and cat relationships I've come across something, which just happened, which I just am seeking some advice on....

First of all this cat is extremely agreeable, always friendly, and fairly clingy. She's always at my side or near me. But sometimes, I'll be scratching behind her ears or what have you, and she will bat me and hiss. her bats are typically without claws, and her hiss is short-lived with near/no hair raising or any indication of discomfort beyond just what I interpret as a "YO TOO MUCH BRO," am I right in assuming that letting her alone after one of those, to which she will usually just jump into my lap and head butt the hand she slapped, as the proper action? That it's her way of saying "A little too much stimulation."?

Note: She only has batted me with claws out once and I yelped, and she came right over and "apologized" by licking the arm she batted. I'm very aware this cat "loves" me, and I just want to be sure that with this behavior I am also behaving properly.

e: and since I can ask the SA community any thing at any time...When I got her, she had just gotten sutures out for a lumpectomy and had her entire right mmamary chain removed. I've noticed she has one lone stich remaining which sticks out of her belly. Clearly I'm a new cat owner and don't want to just yank this thing out...she'll be going in for a doctors checkup soon, and I figured either to let it get pushed out naturally or the doctor will do what I won't. Also the right action?

I'm also sorry if these are unwarranted. I just want to do right by her.

Blimpkin fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 29, 2013