Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Undead Unicorn posted:

No More Heroes, No More Heroes 2, Deadly Premonition, Alpha Protocol, and Fallout: New Vegas
While I don't really agree with AP (although to its credit it was going for cheesy intentionally, aping old Bond movies), I'd definitely add Walking Dead to this list. Plus Alan Wake, Binding of Isaac (writing and storytelling does not need to be explicit dialog/text on the screen to be well written), Endless Space (ditto), Pathologic (suffers in translation but it still shines), The Void, Amnesia, and Lone Survivor.

e: Also the NMH games give me occasional impulses to buy used Wii just to I can play them again, they were that good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Uncharted 2 is the best writing I have seen in a game in the past couple years. I loved the characters in it. It was way better than the lovely Indiana Jones 4 movie.

The last of us also looks amazing in that regard. I want to play it because I want to see what happens to those characters. It is one of the rare times I want to play a game to find out what happens in the story.

Basically what I am trying to say is Naughty Dog is the best.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Dapper Dan posted:

Not to distract from the Watchdogs chat (which looks really loving amazing, but I'm not going to be caught dead pre-ordering anything ever again) but the reason good video game writing is uncommon/rare/nonexistent, depending on your perspective, is because of several things I think. Firstly, the medium is pretty young and still maturing. There are a lot of kinks to work out because interactivity adds a whole new dimension to storytelling. For example, as talked about in this thread, the problem of the open world protagonist. He's probably going to end up a sociopath outside of cut scenes because most people want to get to their next objective in the game fast. Which means crashing into things and running down a shitload of pedestrians.

I think that this is the biggest problem in a good video game ever being written. With nearly every other medium the theme can be summarized as "Character was like A, so B happened". With video games the demand is for the story telling to be interactive, but the problem with doing that is a) making a truly responsive game that has a story is probably impossible and b) it fucks up the idea of having a theme. So writers either have to choose to stick to one story and make player agency irrelevant or respond to the player's choices in superficial ways while still making them go through essentially the same events, making the moral meaningless. I suppose there's also games like the Walking Dead which make a convincing appearance of player's choices mattering, but I'm afraid that that trick probably won't work more than a few times, and outside of a simple, tense survival game would completely fail artistically.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

keyframe posted:

Uncharted 2 is the best writing I have seen in a game in the past couple years. I loved the characters in it. It was way better than the lovely Indiana Jones 4 movie.

The last of us also looks amazing in that regard. I want to play it because I want to see what happens to those characters. It is one of the rare times I want to play a game to find out what happens in the story.

Basically what I am trying to say is Naughty Dog is the best.

The writing was pretty cliche stuff. I'd say it was the best acting I've seen in a game in the last couple years.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Forgall posted:

About half of the posts in Final Fantasy 13-2 LP thread were Azure_Horizon praising that game's story :allears:

No, they weren't. I both explained and critiqued it.

As far as great game writing in the past five years: The Void, Journey, NieR, Dear Esther, Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 23, 2013

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Phil Moscowitz posted:

RDR had a morality system?
The more dudes you shot up randomly, the more notorious you became.

Eventually townfolk would run from you/sheriffs would hunt you/bounties would be made for you.
There was also some kind of system that made it possible to spend Get Out of Jail Bonds to nullify those effects.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

i poo poo trains posted:

I think that this is the biggest problem in a good video game ever being written. With nearly every other medium the theme can be summarized as "Character was like A, so B happened". With video games the demand is for the story telling to be interactive, but the problem with doing that is a) making a truly responsive game that has a story is probably impossible and b) it fucks up the idea of having a theme. So writers either have to choose to stick to one story and make player agency irrelevant or respond to the player's choices in superficial ways while still making them go through essentially the same events, making the moral meaningless. I suppose there's also games like the Walking Dead which make a convincing appearance of player's choices mattering, but I'm afraid that that trick probably won't work more than a few times, and outside of a simple, tense survival game would completely fail artistically.

There's something to be said for games that have no set story but try to actually let the things that happen create something that feels like a story. The only games that are good at doing this that come to mind are the Crusader Kings games, where almost everything that happens is based on the interactions of hundreds of characters, each of which has personality traits and an opinion of every other character. So you have things like the nephew of the late Byzantine Emperor declaring war on his cousins to seize the throne, only to see everything he's schemed to gain be burned and conquered by the Seljuks while the Empire is divided in rebellion. Or, something that someone else posted in the CK2 thread, the youngest daughter of a Baron having her sister murdered so she would inherit the land but succumbing to illness on the very same day, destroying the dynasty in a single night. It's not a story, exactly, but it feels like one.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

mysterious frankie posted:

I feel like it's best to treat any sandbox game story as if it's being seen through the eyes of a sociopath, ala Tony Soprano. Most sandbox game stories are basically really lovely, shallow versions of The Sopranos, if you really (don't) think about it.

Sure, except every sandbox game with the exception of maybe some of the grand theft autos or RDR is in some way or another a story of good versus evil so even if the character is a sociopath you can still look up to them and feel good knowing you made the right decision no matter what that decision was.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

FilthyImp posted:

The more dudes you shot up randomly, the more notorious you became.

Eventually townfolk would run from you/sheriffs would hunt you/bounties would be made for you.
There was also some kind of system that made it possible to spend Get Out of Jail Bonds to nullify those effects.

Oh yeah. I just looked at that like the standard GTA "gently caress poo poo up/get chased by cops/respray" system, though I guess it was more persistent. The endgame wasn't any different based on how much of a dick you were, though.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Azure_Horizon posted:

As far as great game writing in the past five years: The Void, Journey, NieR, Dear Esther, Amnesia: The Dark Descent.
gently caress, how'd I forget Dear Esther? Even if you're the kind of smug too cool for nerd poo poo jerk who thinks all games are universally lovely in writing, Dear Esther's playing through a literal poem. My English Major girlfriend thought it was one of the best writing she's ever experienced regardless of genre.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jetsetlemming posted:

gently caress, how'd I forget Dear Esther? Even if you're the kind of smug too cool for nerd poo poo jerk who thinks all games are universally lovely in writing, Dear Esther's playing through a literal poem. My English Major girlfriend thought it was one of the best writing she's ever experienced regardless of genre.

I've always thought that the original Dear Esther mod's script would have made an excellent short story on its own (something you can't really say for, ooh, let's call it just about every other game script ever written). I read a pdf of the thing and the text stood just fine when divorced from the game's imagery.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I'm not sure how much it's worth pointing out games that are well written (Kentucky Route Zero, Analogue: A Hate Story, The Stanley Parable, To the Moon, etc.) when everything we've seen from Watch Dogs so far suggests that it's going to have a narrative that hangs together about as well as you would expect from a game that has to give you reasons to run around Chicago doing whatever the gently caress you want with batons and guns and a magic hacking cell phone, which is to say the narrative isn't going to work at all. Because unless they go balls out and pull some sort of Spec Ops: The Line meta-anti-narrative about open world games, we're either going to get a massive amount of ludonarrative dissonance at best or a stupid loving story that justifies stupid loving cool poo poo at worst.

Not like I care - I'm not going to buy Watch Dogs because I want to read someone's lovely Pattern Recognition/Spook Country/Zero History fanfic, I'm going to buy Watch Dogs because I want to be magic cell phone rear end in a top hat in Chicago.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Can it be Christmas yet.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Oh no the thread died, have some new info!

http://metro.co.uk/2013/02/28/watch-dogs-playstation-4-interview-a-new-type-of-gameplay-experience-3519415/

Bunch of stuff about Aiden's background, the slowmotion/bullettime and world size!

quote:

GC: So it’s at least as big as open world cities from this gen?

DG: It’s a very, very big open world city. You can go even beyond the borders of the city and you can go on the water, on the lake, if you want. So it’s very large. But what’s more important to us other than just making it large is making it dense. So you can go in interiors, you go – Chicago has an under-city, you can go there. You can go on rooftops, there’s a lot of things to do. Because it’s great to have it big, but for our game and our systems we need to have density, a lot of richness. It’s a balance.

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.
That's interesting, though I wonder just how big the "interiors" are, like, if we go into a tall apartment building, can we go to each apartment or just walking up the staircase to the top or maybe some hallways in between.
Could make a difference with future modding if there are plenty of extra "houses" for people to use, stage new quests and the like.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

1stGear posted:

Sandbox games are literally never going to be good vehicles for stories because the plot will force you to be a repentant do-gooder and as soon as the player gains control they will go out and skullfuck a nun.

The only good open-world game story was Saint's Row 2 because the entire story was "Holy poo poo, you are a hosed up human being."

I dunno about literally never, but it certinally takes some real thought behind the writers and the designers of the game. The main thing is that the overall goal needs to have multiple motivations behind why a player/character would want to achieve it. Baldur's Gate 2 comes to mind a rare example of this. You can be perusing Irenicus to try and save your friend/kill a bad dude or to try and uncover more about your background so you can become more powerful.

Most sandbox games really gently caress it up on the side quests, most are 'oh i need help someone help me do X'. Even a goodie two-shoes is thinking, "who gives a poo poo I have more important poo poo to do". Not only do they not make sense for a bad dude but they are usually terribly dull and mostly there to pad out the game.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Captain Beans posted:

I dunno about literally never, but it certinally takes some real thought behind the writers and the designers of the game. The main thing is that the overall goal needs to have multiple motivations behind why a player/character would want to achieve it. Baldur's Gate 2 comes to mind a rare example of this. You can be perusing Irenicus to try and save your friend/kill a bad dude or to try and uncover more about your background so you can become more powerful.

Most sandbox games really gently caress it up on the side quests, most are 'oh i need help someone help me do X'. Even a goodie two-shoes is thinking, "who gives a poo poo I have more important poo poo to do". Not only do they not make sense for a bad dude but they are usually terribly dull and mostly there to pad out the game.

"Hey Niko! Want to get a drink?"

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
What the gently caress is this about it "going further" in the PS4 but being available for the PS3??

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
I got the impression they were trying to insinuate that there would be less unique encounters in the Xbox 360/PS3 versions compared to the PC/720/PS4 versions.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

A new Q&A that's pretty long!

http://electronictheatre.co.uk/pc/pc-news/33244/watch_dogs-qa-revealed

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

A new official video! It shows the previous video through the many eyes of ctOS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_Zd6OBwlPs

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Daztek posted:

A new official video! It shows the previous video through the many eyes of ctOS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_Zd6OBwlPs

Holy poo poo, this game is going to own. I liked the bit where he raised the car-stop devices in the street, and the possibility of some sweet, sweet side events looks awesome as well.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

If I hadn't been an exhibitor and just waited outside the booth before the floor opened I would have been severely pissed waiting to see that at PAX East, since it showed absolutely nothing new.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I think it's a retarded spin on things, that "analysis" seems like some marketing women decided to do it and completely pulled it out of the game world. Yeah right the GUI prompts are part of the new Beta for something blabla we detected his breach. If this actually makes it in the game, god save us all!

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Watch_Dogs Twitter posted:

Surveillance Rpt #274789: Suspect Aiden Pearce was seen on Lake St. ctOS is pulling video, will be updated tomorrow.

Possibly a new video tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/watchdogsgame/status/328632464031494145

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

:siren: Release date! 19 November for NA, 21 November for the rest of the world!

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/04/29/watch-dogs-unleashed-in-november/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A049QMa5_UM

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Pros of the trailer:
Looks pretty GTA.
Looks pretty.
His dumb coat is actually kind of cool.

Cons:
That voice is terrible.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
I still can't wrap my mind around the idea that this guy thinks he's doing the "right thing". I mean no doubt there's going to be some part of the story where he realizes he's actually being an rear end in a top hat, but it's just not believable that he can smash cop cars and cause huge explosions in the street and kill dozens of innocent people at all while still believing he's doing it for a good cause. That's a special kind of idiocy that I have no sympathy for.

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...
Interesting, one thing I have noticed in recent interviews/previews the idea has been brought up that Pierce is a big jerk. While I thought it was odd considering modern game characters and how little we know about the guy.

In interviews you can see the game designers kinda being taken aback and saying well you don't know his back story. And hey look next trailer Pierce lost someone and is out for revenge/justice!

Game media are awful journalists :toot:

Wagglyplacebo
Nov 13, 2012
So is this just Batman with a phone?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Christ the protagonist is so edgy is hurts. Well as long as the gameplay is fun thats ok I guess

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Hatbox Ghost posted:

I still can't wrap my mind around the idea that this guy thinks he's doing the "right thing". I mean no doubt there's going to be some part of the story where he realizes he's actually being an rear end in a top hat, but it's just not believable that he can smash cop cars and cause huge explosions in the street and kill dozens of innocent people at all while still believing he's doing it for a good cause. That's a special kind of idiocy that I have no sympathy for.

Then you shouldn't do any of that when playing the game! If that is an option, that is. Also, maybe he has a personal motivation and doesn't care anymore. I'm happy as long as I can empathize, even I if can't sympathize.

Greenplastic fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 29, 2013

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

:( Man, I hope this game is actually incredible, and not another Syndicate. Cool plot, cool visuals, cool art style, terrible execution.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Wait. Wait. This has a PC release? When I saw the initial reveal they had only announced a PS3 release and I figured I'd never be able to play it as I don't own one. Hell yes.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

fennesz posted:

Wait. Wait. This has a PC release? When I saw the initial reveal they had only announced a PS3 release and I figured I'd never be able to play it as I don't own one. Hell yes.
Every bit of media we've seen so far - every demo, even at the PS4 conference - has been it running on PC.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
So I just got a slightly creepy email from uplay saying that they've been watching me for a couple years, and trying to get me to pre-order at all the usual suspects.. Does anybody have a clue what the pre-order bonuses may be for the different retailers, yet? All I could find was (what I assume to be) a fold-up poster, whoopdeedo. At least I hope it'll have a map on the back so I will have use for it.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

ookiimarukochan posted:

Every bit of media we've seen so far - every demo, even at the PS4 conference - has been it running on PC.

This doesn't always mean that a title will be a PC release, unfortunately. I was happy to see the little PC insignia at the end of the most recent video.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

coyo7e posted:

So I just got a slightly creepy email from uplay saying that they've been watching me for a couple years, and trying to get me to pre-order at all the usual suspects.. Does anybody have a clue what the pre-order bonuses may be for the different retailers, yet? All I could find was (what I assume to be) a fold-up poster, whoopdeedo. At least I hope it'll have a map on the back so I will have use for it.

The new trailer mentioned some pre order bonuses at the end.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

What's with all the color separation in that trailer? Isn't it supposed to be in the future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Sedisp posted:

Can't say I would have read any of the rest of those had they been books. And Deadly Premonition I haven't played.

:psyduck:

I wouldn't watch To Kill A Mockingbird if it was an interperative dance. It's silly to take away a medium's main strength and expect it to compare favorably to a different kinda of media.

• Locked thread