Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

So maybe it's a tad early for this, but what's the math looking like for 2014? Are the Dems or Republicans more likely to gain seats? Where will they be gained? What are the margins? I'm curious if Nate Silver or anyone like him has gotten around to running the numbers yet.
I think it's pretty early to figure out how the national mood is going to lean, but I think the Republicans have a structural advantage in both chambers going in.

Think of it this way: the Senators up for reelection this year come from the 2008 cycle, where Obamamania was running wild and the Democrats won just about every seat possible (the closest things to 'exceptions' are probably Maine [where Susan Collins is likely unbeatable], Georgia, and Kentucky). As a result, 21 Democrats and 14 Republicans are up for reelection, including Democratic retirements in some red territory like West Virginia and South Dakota. A good list of the professional predictors and their early thoughts on specific races are on the Wikipedia page. Nate Silver also has a (somewhat dated) rundown. Whether the Republicans can get 6 seats to take the chamber is one thing, but it's hard to see the Democrats not losing seats (then again, this was the common wisdom for 2012 as well).

Republican House gerrymandering/natural nature of rural vs. urban seats has been discussed to death (here's a good take on it which also puts it into the context of the current Congress), but the short version is the Democrats have a huge uphill battle to gaining a lot of seats there, and regaining the House is going to be very, very difficult if even possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx
2014 will be a bloodbath in my estimation. Not the kind this board is hoping for. The Times' Caucus blog ( http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/26/redistricting-likely-to-hamper-democratic-efforts-in-2014-study-finds/ ) just wrote about this study that explains just how safe Republican's house majority is, even discounting the kind of success opposition parties historically have in mid terms. It could be different, maybe, if the Democratic leadership focused on energizing the base. But given the way things just went down with the sequestration cuts to the FAA I find that really unlikely. All I'm doing is praying against a veto-proof majority.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

So maybe it's a tad early for this, but what's the math looking like for 2014? Are the Dems or Republicans more likely to gain seats? Where will they be gained? What are the margins? I'm curious if Nate Silver or anyone like him has gotten around to running the numbers yet.

Cook Political Report: 204 solid Republican, 28 lean Republican, 2 toss-up Republican, 6 toss-up Democratic, 29 lean Democratic, 166 solid Democratic

Sabato's Crystal Ball: 194 solid Republican, 24 likely Republican, 12 lean Republican, 8 toss-up, 13 lean Democratic, 16 likely Democratic, 168 solid Democratic.

These links are in the OP, by the way.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

The Landstander posted:

Whether the Republicans can get 6 seats to take the chamber is one thing, but it's hard to see the Democrats not losing seats (then again, this was the common wisdom for 2012 as well).

Thankfully due to how abso-loving-lutely broken the senate is, either party has to have 60 senators to be able to accomplish anything. If you throw in the blue dogs, the republicans might just have enough seats to get 60 and then just run roughshod over everything but I don't know how many bluedogs are up for re-election and may just be outright replaced by republicans.

What I'm interested in is if the senate races go really well for the republicans is if McConnell is ballsy/stupid enough to revoke the cloture rule. If he does he'll be betting heavily on a 2016 republican victory, though he'll probably just leave it in place, propose a bunch of terrible laws forcing Reid to filibuster and then blame the brokenness of the senate on the dems to help sweep 2016.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Zero One posted:

Rep Gary Peters will announce on Wednesday he will run for Levin's Senate seat.

Pretty much what people expected.

There's some good news. Now we just have to find someone to run for Governor so we can kick the nerd to the curb.

Ganon
May 24, 2003
The gun people will be really fired up to vote R, they're already buying up as many guns as possible and ammo is impossible to find.

Okonner posted:

All I'm doing is praying against a veto-proof majority.

To override a veto you need 290 in the House and 67 in the Senate, that has to be way out of reach.. right? :ohdear:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
There are 34 Democrats who are not up for re-election in 2014 so the Republicans would need to win every single Senate election, plus have one of the Democrats die or resign and get replaced by a Republican to get 67 in the Senate. Or they'd have to create a new state.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Ted Cruz to announce the formation of a Freedom State in 2015.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Time to speed up making Puerto Rico a 51st state.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Ted Cruz to announce the formation of a Freedom State in 2015.
Columbia?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Nah he'll just divide out a chunk of west Texas, tons of land and just like, five angry white people to pander to.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I'm pretty sure Ted Cruz's first choice for a new state would be a small circle around a hospital in Calgary.

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

I like how this unintentionally backs up Obama's original joke.

Justin Trudeau
Apr 4, 2009

There's a level of admiration I actually have for China because their basic dictatorship is allowing them to actually turn their economy around on a dime

Joementum posted:

I'm pretty sure Ted Cruz's first choice for a new state would be a small circle around a hospital in Calgary.

You can have Alberta if Canada gets Minnesota and Vermont.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

dethslayer666 posted:

You can have Alberta if Canada gets Minnesota and Vermont.

Don't leave us Californians to die in the horrible shithole that is America! :argh: :ca:

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Take Michigan with you, Canada!

I want Kinder Surprises readily available, plus even more hockey, plus sensible methods of road snow removal (dirt).

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Gen. Ripper posted:

Don't leave us Californians to die in the horrible shithole that is America! :argh: :ca:
No, no, take the deal! Then they have to take Michele Bachmann!

Justin Trudeau
Apr 4, 2009

There's a level of admiration I actually have for China because their basic dictatorship is allowing them to actually turn their economy around on a dime

Lycus posted:

No, no, take the deal! Then they have to take Michele Bachmann!
And Bernie Sanders :smug:

AsInHowe posted:

Sure, then maybe we can get that drat bridge built!

Justin Trudeau fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 30, 2013

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

AsInHowe posted:

I want Kinder Surprises readily available

I've got good news...

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Joementum posted:

Mod of the year

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In Terry McAuliffe's 2007 memoirs he recounts that his wife kicked him out of the hospital when she was having a baby and he went to a Washinton Post party. OK, that's not the most flattering story, but it's somewhat understandable. Then he tells about what he did on the way home from the hospital with his newborn child.

quote:

Dorothy was starting to well up in the backseat. She was having trouble understanding how I could be taking my wife and newborn baby to a fund-raiser on our way home from the hospital. We got to the dinner and by then Dorothy was in tears, and I left her with Justin and went inside. Little Peter was sleeping peacefully and Dorothy just sat there and poor Justin didn't say a word. He was mortified. I was inside maybe fifteen minutes, said a few nice things about Marty, and hurried back out to the car. I felt bad for Dorothy, but it was a million bucks for the Democratic Party and by the time we got home and the kids had their new little brother in their arms, Dorothy was all smiles and we were one big happy family again. Nobody ever said life with me was easy.

What a likeable guy. :allears:

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Joementum posted:

In Terry McAuliffe's 2007 memoirs he recounts that his wife kicked him out of the hospital when she was having a baby and he went to a Washinton Post party. OK, that's not the most flattering story, but it's somewhat understandable. Then he tells about what he did on the way home from the hospital with his newborn child.

Ahahahaha. Hahahaha. Go gently caress yourself, McAuliffe.

Talk about picking between a giant douche and a turd sandwich. /southpark

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Gen. Ripper posted:

Hey if you fucks are going anywhere, Oregon gets to come with you. You're not allowed to escape without us and Washington coming along for the ride.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Magres posted:

Hey if you fucks are going anywhere, Oregon gets to come with you. You're not allowed to escape without us and Washington coming along for the ride.

Continental Drift is sort of making that inevitable.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Magres posted:

I was under the impression that the West Coast (and BC) was gonna split off and form the Environmentalist Utopia of Cascadia anyway.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

Holy poo poo, what a douche. I'm so sorry, Virginians--if you'd like we can lend you Deval Patrick for a while. He's not perfect, but he's a drat sight better than either of the turds you'll be choosing.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Gen. Ripper posted:

I was under the impression that the West Coast (and BC) was gonna split off and form the Environmentalist Utopia of Cascadia anyway.

Cascadia would last like a week before the OstroGOPs out there in the deep darkness of rural red counties noticed that they owned all the guns and started getting Ideas.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Alter Ego posted:

Holy poo poo, what a douche. I'm so sorry, Virginians--if you'd like we can lend you Deval Patrick for a while. He's not perfect, but he's a drat sight better than either of the turds you'll be choosing.

Jerry Brown is better. :colbert:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'd give you Beebe but he's already our last line of defense against terrible laws. He recently had to veto a lovely 12 week abortion law.

He isn't great, but I'd hate to see what this state would become if it had a full Republican majority.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Seoinin posted:

Cascadia would last like a week before the OstroGOPs out there in the deep darkness of rural red counties noticed that they owned all the guns and started getting Ideas.

It'd be a short fight. The rural areas are tiny compared to the rural areas. Two-thirds of Washington lives in Seattle Metro, and two-thirds of Oregon lives in Portland Metro. And rural California is virtually uninhabited. While the West/East divide certainly exists, the state GOPs only survive because there's lots of suburban moderates.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

computer parts posted:

Continental Drift is sort of making that inevitable.

:thejoke:

Seoinin posted:

That's what the state of Jefferson is for

Magres fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 2, 2013

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Seoinin posted:

I'm pretty sure Cascadia doesn't include anything east of the cascades. The US can keep that.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm pretty sure Cascadia doesn't include anything east of the cascades. The US can keep that.

Cascadia doesn't have a fixed definition like Jefferson, but it can be extended out east as far as the next major liberal population centers, Boise, ID and Missoula, MT, and as far south as San Francisco, CA. - particularly if British Columbia and Alberta were to join as well. And even in its smallest extent, it generally includes all of Oregon and Washington. The population on the East side of the Cascades is miniscule - Bend is the only town in Eastern Oregon with more than 30,000 people, and most are far, far smaller.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 08:54 on May 2, 2013

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

McAuliffe is a microcosm of everything wrong with the modern DNC

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Who Said It? Terry McAuliffe Or A Character from House of Cards?

I got a 6 out of 12 and I've seen all of House of Cards.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
7/12 and I've never seen a single episode of that show.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
11/12 :smug:

Marathoned through House of Cards last week :(

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

I got 8/12 and never saw "House of Cards".

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Only got 4/12 but I've never seen House of Cards and I deluded myself into thinking that there was no way the absolute worst quotes could have really come out of a real person's mouth. What a fool I am.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
It's pretty easy, anything remotely eloquent is from the TV show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

watt par posted:

7/12 and I've never seen a single episode of that show.

Same here.

• Locked thread